RBS Shares

Cliffundo

Did anyone take a punt on them at 10p?

I got in at 12p (5000) I would have loved to buy more...but I was not prepared to lose more than ?600 so thats my lot. How ever if they do go down to the 5p mark....I would load up on another 5000.

Providing they do not get Nationalised there is a few quid to be made if you are in it for the long haul. ie: 3-5 years possibly 10 if you want a good return.

Anyone else speculated?

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I got in at 12p (5000) I would have loved to buy more...but I was not prepared to lose more than ?600 so thats my lot. How ever if they do go down to the 5p mark....I would load up on another 5000.

Providing they do not get Nationalised there is a few quid to be made if you are in it for the long haul. ie: 3-5 years possibly 10 if you want a good return.

Anyone else speculated?

To speculate as an amatuer in such an unpredictable market is like choosing red or black on a roullette table. Good luck though.

Have a mate who thought they couldn't go any lower than 50p, and his investment is now worth 20%!

It is tempting at the current price, but I still think there is more losses to come for RBS, so I wouldn't want to weigh in to their shares when there is the threat of nationalistion...but more likely is that the government will take on more shares to try to prevent nationalisation, and that will just dilute your shareholding

My mate also invested without doing any research or anything. He didn't even know that he would lose everything if they get nationalised :eek:

Considering I do about half an hours research for a 5 quid coupon, I couldn't believe he gambled 1000 quid without thinking

They should close at about 15p today.

My father and some work collegues put in ?20 each at 5p (approx) a share. They got about 1000 shares each.

So if they get nationalised he will only lose ?20 and if in a couple of years they get to ?2 or something he has made a bit of money.

Did you buy them online?

Nope. I went into the bank (local branch @ porty) and bought them....It took 5 minutes.

To speculate as an amatuer in such an unpredictable market is like choosing red or black on a roullette table. Good luck though.

Yeah, I agree. This is a one off for me and also a once in a lifetime chance.

If I lose ?600 it will not affect my standard of living....just means a couple of sacrafices and Im even with myself. If RBS avoid Nationalisation and share price hits the ?3 mark in a few years (3-5)...then I pick up ?15,000.

worth a punt I thought. considering they have hung their dirty washing out and the market has priced it in. still a few banks to come clean about their predicament imo.

My father and some work collegues put in ?20 each at 5p (approx) a share. They got about 1000 shares each.

So if they get nationalised he will only lose ?20 and if in a couple of years they get to ?2 or something he has made a bit of money.

How?! My maths is terrible but surely that would be about 400 shares each?

I would hold off if i was you as RBS will be nationalized within 2 mnths.

Impossible to call. Nobody want to see them Nationalised.

they are able to pull through this by selling of some of their many arms within the banking sector.

They will be anouncing 10,000 job loses soon, due to sell off's and migration of certain sectors of the business. restructuring and concentrating on core banking business. if this works... it makes it a more stable business along with a more competent board with Hester and co, and could also see a percentage of goverment share holding diluted within a year or so.

How?! My maths is terrible but surely that would be about 400 shares each?

they would have 200 shares each for ?20.

?100 @ 10p per share = 1000 shares

they were ?7.50 per share or there abouts at their highest.

Nice return if you can afford to spare a few hundered.

Gavsy Van Gaverson

They were about double that at their highest. Just over a year ago they were over a tenner.

They are starting to move up the way now, i suspect it will take a little while to reach the ?7.50 Level again though.

http://newsvote.bbc.co.uk/1/shared/fds/hi/business/market_data/shares/3/23201/one_month.stm

Really? If each person puts in ?20, and buys shares at ?0.05, isn't that 400?! The shares were 5p or thereabouts so I am assuming it was 5p, not 10p

Gavsy Van Gaverson
They are starting to move up the way now, i suspect it will take a little while to reach the ?7.50 Level again though.

http://newsvote.bbc.co.uk/1/shared/fds/hi/business/market_data/shares/3/23201/one_month.stm

They are only moving up today on the back on the news that Barclays have confirmed that they will make a profit for 2008. Barcalys said annual profit would be higher than ?5.3bn, despite ?8bn of gross write-downs at its investment bank.

Really? If each person puts in ?20, and buys shares at ?0.05, isn't that 400?! The shares were 5p or thereabouts so I am assuming it was 5p, not 10p

They were $0.05 on the NYSE

10p on the LSE

depends what they bought into.

They are only moving up today on the back on the news that Barclays have confirmed that they will make a profit for 2008. Barcalys said annual profit would be higher than ?5.3bn, despite ?8bn of gross write-downs at its investment bank.

I felt the movement was more to do with the anouncement of the ?100 Billion of goverment backed new mortgage lending and selling off certain arms of the business aswell as all of sir freds croneys who are still taking a wage are getting the chop.

The fact they are being a used as a goverment guinia pig has it's perks as everything is Gov garunteed.....I think it's a good bet tbh.... feel free to pull this thread back up in a year :)

Impossible to call. Nobody want to see them Nationalised.

they are able to pull through this by selling of some of their many arms within the banking sector.

They will be anouncing 10,000 job loses soon, due to sell off's and migration of certain sectors of the business. restructuring and concentrating on core banking business. if this works... it makes it a more stable business along with a more competent board with Hester and co, and could also see a percentage of goverment share holding diluted within a year or so.

i want to see all the high street banks nationalised there business model has completely screwed the economy up

They were about double that at their highest. Just over a year ago they were over a tenner.

They done an issue where if you were a holder you got 2 new shares for your 1 old one therefore halving the value. That took the value from about the ?15 to ?16 mark down to the figure quoted above.

Reckon the price movement is more to do with speculative punts on the shares than anything else.

Sensible investors would be waiting till the actual full accounts are posted, as they will probably be worse than the projected losses that dropped it to 10p

The banks will never get back up to 7 or 8 quid a share. They can't go back to their aggressive strategies that created the huge profits, but also led to their downfall

They were $0.05 on the NYSE

10p on the LSE

depends what they bought into.

As far as I know, you can't buy RBS ordinary shares on the NYSE - only ADRs, which currently trading about $4 a pop.

When did they manage to buy them for 5p????

Reckon the price movement is more to do with speculative punts on the shares than anything else.

Sensible investors would be waiting till the actual full accounts are posted, as they will probably be worse than the projected losses that dropped it to 10p

The banks will never get back up to 7 or 8 quid a share. They can't go back to their aggressive strategies that created the huge profits, but also led to their downfall

I would be happy to see ?3.50-?4.00 in the next 3- 5 years......possibly will need to wait longer...but it was a small amount of money worth the punt.

When did they manage to buy them for 5p????

I think the lowest price the shares have went so far is around 10p a share, They may dip down to 5p after they announce there financial results for last year, which are expected to be worse than they have forecast.

Whats a Billion or 2 though when you are a Bank.:eek:

I would be happy to see ?3.50-?4.00 in the next 3- 5 years......possibly will need to wait longer...but it was a small amount of money worth the punt.

As long as its a long term plan, I think you will be ok. Its better than keeping the cash in the bank and only earning 5% interest.

Will certainly be a more exciting way to look after your money!

If Fred Goodwin had any common decency, he'd buy every single RBS share himself and offer ?3 a pop.

There is slightly more chance of the hobos winning the Scottish Cup, than Fred the Shred offering anyone a penny.:108years:

Arse 'Friends' Dyslexic?

Never going to happen.

Bear in mind there are now 39.5 BILLION RBS shares after all the recent rights issues. The share price has been diluted so much I'd be amazed if the price got anywhere near 66p in the next 3 years. That was the price the government underwrote the share issue at late last year.

Hopefully I'm wrong (in a good way).

Never going to happen.

Bear in mind there are now 39.5 BILLION RBS shares after all the recent rights issues. The share price has been diluted so much I'd be amazed if the price got anywhere near 66p in the next 3 years. That was the price the government underwrote the share issue at late last year.

Hopefully I'm wrong (in a good way).

You have got to think long term here, id guess in 20 years they could be up as high as ? 5.00 per share, so if its a long term investment it could be worth buying say a hundred quids worth.?

You have got to think long term here, id guess in 20 years they could be up as high as ? 5.00 per share, so if its a long term investment it could be worth buying say a hundred quids worth.?

defo......if you can afford to stash away ?500....you could get yourself between 4200-5000 shares bringing home a nice lump around the ?20,000 + mark.

well worth the punt.

When the shares were diluted they were reported to be worth ?2 per share.

with proper management. RBS can achieve that atleast, within 3-5 years....imo.

Got in at 36p. Ach well.

I know a few peeps who got round the 70-50p mark.

see how things go on the 26th feb then we will be able to have a look at the results and the final figures with regards to the ?28 bill loss.

When the shares were diluted they were reported to be worth ?2 per share.

with proper management. RBS can achieve that atleast, within 3-5 years....imo.

I bluidy hope so my profit sharing from 5 years ago is going be worth about ?70 some 10% that is. thankfully the dividend up till now has paid me out about ?1000!

I know a few peeps who got round the 70-50p mark.

see how things go on the 26th feb then we will be able to have a look at the results and the final figures with regards to the ?28 bill loss.

I Agree, i will hold off until the full losses are announced i think 28 Billion is light though, the Government has told them to get it all out on the table and come clean with the full extent of there losses.

I predict a loss of nearer 40 Billion will be announced, this will hammer the shares maybe down to as low as a penny a Share.

I will take an outside bet at that point on a few hundred and stick them away for 20 years see what happens then.

The only 100 percent thing i can predict is that the hobos ain't winning the big cup in that period.:108:

I bluidy hope so my profit sharing from 5 years ago is going be worth about ?70 some 10% that is. thankfully the dividend up till now has paid me out about ?1000!

Do you work in GT by any chance?

Goodwin being punted as new F1 boss to replace the facist Moseley."Thanks for all the sponsorship Fred" says Bernie

portobellojambo1

Any movement upwards at this time will be governed by other things, such as another bank/financial institution announcing better than expected results, or a general growing in confidence throughout the market place, not necessarily growing confidence in RBS to pull through unscathed.

One of the pitfalls of working in the financial sector is trying to explain share price movement to clients who have flung their money into a unit-linked investment, without fully understanding that virtually anything in the world can affect its price (it did take some time to explain to one particular client that the major flooding in China a few years back could indeed have a huge affect on his investment, which was in North American & Emerging Smaller Companies funds, still don't think he was convinced afterwards).

They peaked at about ?16 quid so even if they avoid nationalisation and get back up to between ?4-?5 then people whoe have bought a reasonable amount should be very very happy.

I have ?40 worth of shares bought at around 15p today.

Its a gamble the same as staking it on a horse but as always it could pay off.

Well worth the risk for such a little stake.

They peaked at about ?16 quid so even if they avoid nationalisation and get back up to between ?4-?5 then people whoe have bought a reasonable amount should be very very happy.

so at ?16 you will make ~ ?4,000 I admire your optimism

so at ?16 you will make ~ ?4,000 I admire your optimism

I will hold of till they drop to 3p a share then and only then will i purchase 100 pounds worth.

The shares are nothing but " Junk Shares " pretty much worthless at the moment.

The chances of 100% nationalization puts me off buying in now, IMO This is still a very strong possibility.:P

They seem to have perked up this morning. I think we will have a better idea where this ship is headed after feb 26th 2009.

They seem to have perked up this morning. I think we will have a better idea where this ship is headed after feb 26th 2009.

Yep i agree.

Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC

Why don't you just put the money on a horse?!

You will see a much quicker investment and probably have a better chance of success!

As I said above the shares were diluted when at ?16 so to relate that price to an expected price of ?4-?5 is very misleading.

They have also been further diluted since then so I would hope you're nowhere near retirement (i.e. in the next 20-30 years) if you wish to keep your holding until they get back up to ?4-?5.

As I said above the shares were diluted when at ?16 so to relate that price to an expected price of ?4-?5 is very misleading.

They have also been further diluted since then so I would hope you're nowhere near retirement (i.e. in the next 20-30 years) if you wish to keep your holding until they get back up to ?4-?5.

I am a student who could leave them for the next 40 years if I wanted to and hope that they get back up.

Anyone else speculated?

Dont want to burst your bubble mate, but I did exactly the same with Northern Rock shares. Bought 1000 at just under 90p each.

Lost the lot when they were "nationalised".

Dont want to burst your bubble mate, but I did exactly the same with Northern Rock shares. Bought 1000 at just under 90p each.

Lost the lot when they were "nationalised".

I Do not think that RBS Will be nationalised, but hey you never no in the current world we live in.:108:

Archived