well done, Obua

Rick Grimes

You have to ask why it takes 6 months for a player to perform at a acceptable level. just about every other player seems able to move clubs and make a impact.

Um... what?

Every player that moves to every club makes an instant impact?? Jesus, we should just constantly change the starting 11 in every window then and we'll win the league for sure!

That's total madness. Look at Hartley, Pressley and Flogel here.. Henry at Arsenal... Ronaldo at Man Utd!

He's come from a different CONTINENT for ****'s sake and he didn't even have a pre-season with us.

I don't understand football 'fans' anymore...

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

From what i have seen of Obua so far he is a waste of space. " 2 goals yesterday but he was probable the worst player on the park. The problem csaba has is that he signed the player so he has to play him. Csaba should hang his head in shame that he plays him in front of any of those on the bench yesterday. Csaba got lucky yesterday but unless Obua improves he has to be binned in fact he shouldn't be anywhere near the first team, with him in the team it's like playing with 10 men he's that bad.

From what i have seen of Obua so far he is a waste of space. " 2 goals yesterday but he was probable the worst player on the park. The problem csaba has is that he signed the player so he has to play him. Csaba should hang his head in shame that he plays him in front of any of those on the bench yesterday. Csaba got lucky yesterday but unless Obua improves he has to be binned in fact he shouldn't be anywhere near the first team, with him in the team it's like playing with 10 men he's that bad.

2 goals = complete waste of space? :laugh::laugh:

Happy for Mr. Obua to continue wasting space for us in such a manner.

What planet are some of you guys on the guy is improving every week, I admit I was one of the guys who said he was c.ap and a waste of space but having watched him on alba the last two weeks there is something there and we should encourage him on the park not boo him after all he plays for us jambos not the filth down the road.

Grumpy.

I've been very critical of Obua in the past, and was totally dismissive of the "he needs time to settle" argument on the basis that not being able to trap a ball has nothing to do with the settling into pace of the game.

Since the second half of the Hibs game, though, he's shown a marked improvement. I was getting ****ed right off with a guy behind me yesterday, even after the first goal he was still giving Obua dog's abuse. Once a player becomes a scapegoat, some people seem to take a perverse pleasure in blaming everything on them, which I just don't understand.

What does have to be praised is his attitude. Some of the abuse that he's got has been pretty harsh at times, but he's never let his head go down and was still big enough to come over to the fans after his first goal yesterday when quite a few players would've been like "**** them". Fair play to him, hope he goes on to be a good player for us.

I was getting ****ed right off with a guy behind me yesterday, even after the first goal he was still giving Obua dog's abuse. Once a player becomes a scapegoat, some people seem to take a perverse pleasure in blaming everything on them, which I just don't understand.

There was a guy like that in G yesterday, Jonsson launched a ball forward to no one in particular which then resulted in this guy shouting at Obua, or Eboue to be exact :mw_rolleyes:

didn't hear a peep after the 2nd mind you, wonder why

What about him.

Paul Hartley took a wee while to show what he was capable of in maroon. Just as well the manager stuck with him or 02/04/06 would never have happened.

There was a guy like that in G yesterday, Jonsson launched a ball forward to no one in particular which then resulted in this guy shouting at Obua, or Eboue to be exact :mw_rolleyes:

didn't hear a peep after the 2nd mind you, wonder why

I turned round and gave my guy a "GIRFUY" sign after the second. He looked raging, but didn't say anything. :laugh:

I turned round and gave my guy a "GIRFUY" sign after the second. He looked raging, but didn't say anything. :laugh:

Me and my bro did the same but there were too many people jumping about don't think he noticed :laugh:

Optimus Prime
Um... what?

Every player that moves to every club makes an instant impact?? Jesus, we should just constantly change the starting 11 in every window then and we'll win the league for sure!

That's total madness. Look at Hartley, Pressley and Flogel here.. Henry at Arsenal... Ronaldo at Man Utd!

He's come from a different CONTINENT for ****'s sake and he didn't even have a pre-season with us.

I don't understand football 'fans' anymore...

100% agree. Off the top of my head Henrik Larrson at Celtic and Didier Drogba at Chelseas took a while to settle.

Nicholas Brody

Cant have seen much then.

He's done quite well for someone who will never be a footballer. Represents his country, was South African player of the year, and plays for Heart of Midlothian.

Myth.

Altogether now...

Ooh ah Obua, I say Ooh ah Obua!

Had a wee giggle yesterday at "Dave Dave Super Dave, Super Dave Obua" from the back of section G.

Anyhow...I've not been his biggest fan to date but he deserves credit for his attitude. He's had the boo's and abuse but hasn't been petulant. He seems to be listening and reacting and there has been an improvement. I'm pleased he scored, it'll do him no harm at all. It was a cracking jump for the second.

Well done Big Dave. Now he's just gotta keep going!

Paul Hartley took a wee while to show what he was capable of in maroon. Just as well the manager stuck with him or 02/04/06 would never have happened.

That is exactly my point. Why is it at hearts we have more than our fair share of players that need time. Also by sticking by him I assume you mean putting him the reserves because he was playing crap ?

That is exactly my point. Why is it at hearts we have more than our fair share of players that need time. Also by sticking by him I assume you mean putting him the reserves because he was playing crap ?

Same can work in reverse though, Dazo.

Think of players who made a big impact immediately then faded...

JLV and Skacel at Hearts?

Reyes at Arsenal? Deco at Chelsea??

Same can work in reverse though, Dazo.

Think of players who made a big impact immediately then faded...

JLV and Skacel at Hearts?

Reyes at Arsenal? Deco at Chelsea??

No doubt about that mate I just get sick of this give him time we seem to hear about every player we sign. Sounds to much like a excuse for poor players these days. If they are playing poorly they should be in the reserves until they are ready to step up to the plate.

No doubt about that mate I just get sick of this give him time we seem to hear about every player we sign. Sounds to much like a excuse for poor players these days. If they are playing poorly they should be in the reserves until they are ready to step up to the plate.

Fair point - I'd agree with that.

Iva and Pila were perfect examples of that last season, when they were thrown in too quickly. Also they were ****e.. :D

Myth.

Hopefully this is the definitive word about the South African Player of the Year story.

I emailed Kaiser Chiefs and got this reply:-

"In 2005 - 2006 David Obua was nominated as one of the players for the player of the season award unfortunately he lost out to Surprise Moriri of Mamelodi Sundowns, for the same season though he was voted as the Kaizer Chiefs player of the season."

Which presumably means that he was "runner up" South African POTY.

As far as I'm concerned, that's pretty good.

I've always defended him here, and was delighted that he scored twice yesterday. Interesting to see that some posters are still keen to get on his back in spite of that. I mean, scoring goals in the SPL is easy isn't it?

Old f..t behind me gave him abuse all afternoon including calling him a carthorse (not my notion of the style or physique of a carthorse). still a work in progress but scored two goals that our shorter players could not have done. Let's see if he grows from that couple of goals!

Ok I'll bow down to your superior knowledge :mw_rolleyes:

I never said Driver didn't do exceptionally well with the 2nd goal, the problem I had was saying they were laid on a plate which is pish and I stand by that opinion. The first goal Driver did very well to beat the man and put in the cross but it was bread and butter for the keeper until Obua challenged him, if it had been Nade or Kingston I have no doubt they would have fouled the keeper. For the second Driver did even better as it was a cracking cross which Obua finished with aplomb but if it is that easy and anyone could o it can you please tell me the last time Hearts scored from a header that wasn't a result of a set play? Just guessing myself wihout having a proper think but I'd say Velicka in the 2-2 game at Fester Rd off the top of my head

You don't like him and that's fair enough, I'm not saying he's the next Ronaldo or anything but he had a far better game than he has done and scored 2 goals to help us win so be a man and give credit where it's due

Just seen the highlights which have changed my mind a little about the second goal.

Obua deserves more credit than i gave him at the time, a more difficult chance than i thought at first viewing.

Stand by the rest of my comments however.

I've been very critical of Obua in the past, and was totally dismissive of the "he needs time to settle" argument on the basis that not being able to trap a ball has nothing to do with the settling into pace of the game.

Since the second half of the Hibs game, though, he's shown a marked improvement. I was getting ****ed right off with a guy behind me yesterday, even after the first goal he was still giving Obua dog's abuse. Once a player becomes a scapegoat, some people seem to take a perverse pleasure in blaming everything on them, which I just don't understand.

What does have to be praised is his attitude. Some of the abuse that he's got has been pretty harsh at times, but he's never let his head go down and was still big enough to come over to the fans after his first goal yesterday when quite a few players would've been like "**** them". Fair play to him, hope he goes on to be a good player for us.

Very good post Makween, perfectly describes the problem new players coming to Hearts now face. Too many people compare new signings now to the start of the season under Burley, when Skacel, Janny, Bednar et al managed to hit the ground running. That was an unbelievable one off, most new signings take a little time to adjust.

I've said all along there is a player in Obua, and slowly but surely he is proving it. He's far from made it, but it's good to see him making progress.

Thig Ar Latha
can't believe this doesn't have its own thread yet.

he's far from the finished article, but definitely making improvements now. maybe now we'll get to see the player that the appeals panel was so impressed with when his signed up & maybe he'll get a chance from the stands too.

I agree, he did well. However I think there's a lot more to come from this Laddie.

His best game so far.

He deserves credit for winning so many things in the air, in previous games he was not interested in winning the ball like that. 2nd goal was a great leap and well directed header.

I think that some of his bravado on the ball has gone. Particularly playing on the right his passing accuracy has improved, but that is because he is playing negative passes rather than taking the ball on. Probably a good thing.

We_are_the_Hearts
His best game so far.

He deserves credit for winning so many things in the air, in previous games he was not interested in winning the ball like that. 2nd goal was a great leap and well directed header.

I think that some of his bravado on the ball has gone. Particularly playing on the right his passing accuracy has improved, but that is because he is playing negative passes rather than taking the ball on. Probably a good thing.

He won a lot of headers at Rugby Park as well, I commented on it last week. Good to see him winning them in more dangerous areas this week. He is getting more involved now as well as putting himself about. Hopefully the goals will boost his confidence. Some Hearts fans were far too quick to criticise considering he is a young player coming froma totally different style of football.

Charlie-Brown

I think this season is a learning season for Obua - he was much better on saturday and hopefully his goals are a much needed confidence boost and the headed goal for the 2nd was a very good goal however he still has to get to grips with aspects of the pace of the game and the way he conceded the free kick for ICT 2nd goal was stupid and unnecessary when he could have ushered the player inside towards other covering midfielders....I think he will get better and eventually we will see what he is capable of.

Miller Jambo 60
Undeservedly so, too. Evidently, if you dont play like Zidane in your first few games, your not worthy of the jersey.

Football fans, my arse

Thing is SJ i would play for Hearts for nothing.

In fact i would pay them.

I thought the boy had a great game and he is getting the fans behind him.

his header was a peech.

Thing was we were playing a team that are toiling.

They are going down ,very fast .

Guest S.U.S.S.
100% agree. Off the top of my head Henrik Larrson at Celtic and Didier Drogba at Chelseas took a while to settle.

Will never be anything like either of them.

Will never be anything like either of them.

agreed suss but you know what i was really hard on him but having watched the game again i think there is a lot more football in him than has been displayed so far

Jamtartsinspace

Obua is good..... he just needed the games to adjust to the spl and dealing with ugly sister mania on an hourly basis.........he will be our player of the season next year.....!!!

He's pish..... He may have scored 1 and a half goals today, but his over-all contribution was poor. He'll never last. Rubbish first-touch, totally ONE-FOOTED and generally out of his depth

Sunday Times reporter said he was the worst player on the pitch. He was pants but he was worse against Hibs x2 and against Motherwell. In his defense tho he is finding his feet and he can put in a shift.

Guest Dipped Flake

Said before that he is a player, just doubted he could fit in to the way the game is played in the SPL. Second half against hibs he started to show he could and hopefully this will continue. Two goals can only give him a boost

Can talk about time to settle n' stuff, but to me he lacks the basics. Rubbish touch, totally dependant on his left foot, and just clumsy.

Former slow starters like Paul Hartley and Tam Flogel always had good control and passing ability even though they were quiet at the start.

I might be proved wrong, but I don't think he'll amount to anything at our club. We don't really need him anyway with the wealth of midfield talent (with Black from Inverness to come also).

I thought he had a more than decent game on Saturday. The primary reason for his recent improvement is he has clearly changed his attitude and is now working hard for the team. Passing was good, great work rate and a real threat in the air now. still room to improve but at the rate he's getting better he'll get there quickly.

good corners as well from the big man.

Francis Albert
We don't really need him anyway with the wealth of midfield talent (with Black from Inverness to come also).

... and of course all those other players who have scored twice in one game this season.

... and of course all those other players who have scored twice in one game this season.

Bruno

Palazuelos

Kingston

Driver

Stewart

Cesnauskas

Miko

Johnsson

(Black Inverness)

I'd have every one of them over Obua in midfield every day of the week.

Lets give it a few months. I hope he turns out to be a half-decent player.....

I can see where your coming from as Chesney is a more direct player, but answer me this, when was the last time Chesney scored 2 goals in a league game, in fact when was the last time he scored in any league game?

Chesney's end product is awful!

Last league game against Falkirk last season, was a good goal if I remember ;)

Archived