Berra - Sunderland interested.

bighalders

Rumoured on the sunderland message boards that it will definately happen, apparently one of them knows andy driver's old man.

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply
We're ****ing desperate at the back, I was hoping he could fit straight in. He must be better than Mc****e.

I'm better than Mc****e

We're ****ing desperate at the back, I was hoping he could fit straight in. He must be better than Mc****e.

He is better than Bougherra, if you remember what he was like at Charlton.

Alright

According to a few posts on our forum, he is almost certain to sign. do you think this will lad will job in the EPL??

i've watched your lot a few times this season and even although he is by no means the finished article,he will still,by a country mile,be the best defender on your books,if he signs..............................

brave,bags of pace and good positional sense,not unlike jonny evans to be honest......................

also very rarely injured or suspended,which would be a big plus in the run in..........

i've watched your lot a few times this season and even although he is by no means the finished article,he will still,by a country mile,be the best defender on your books,if he signs..............................

brave,bags of pace and good positional sense,not unlike jonny evans to be honest......................

also very rarely injured or suspended,which would be a big plus in the run in..........

Carried away a bit

Can Berra do a job down south? probably. Is he going to walk down there and be one the EPL's better defenders, doubtful, he will take time to adjust.

Also wondering if Berra's transfer is holding up the finalising of Balogh and Black coming in

;)

Carried away a bit

Can Berra do a job down south? probably. Is he going to walk down there and be one the EPL's better defenders, doubtful, he will take time to adjust.

Also wondering if Berra's transfer is holding up the finalising of Balogh and Black coming in

can berra improve sunderland at the back?..most definately...................;)

Behave yourself. :eek:

Whose better?

Neilson for me.

If Eggert was a regular starter I'd say him possibly, would say Neilson Captain , Eggy Vice Captain

Clerry just goat a mention on Real radio about Berra rumour, apparently there is something on the go....................

I'll be surprised if Sunderland go for Berra, given they have had their fingers burnt with Russell Anderson a little.

portobellojambo1

Personally speaking I don't think this would be Christophe's wisest choice of clubs, nor in all honesty am I convinced he is going there.

Sunderland#s back 4 is quite literally feckin' useless, and what they need is someone who can walk in and make an instant change, solve all the defensive problems.

While Christophe has played very well for us this season I think anyone going to Sunderland will take time to settle in, and time is not what they will have, so I can see this being a defender already playing in the EPL (possibly a fringe player) who will not need to adapt as much.

Three clubs I would avoid in England now if a player, Spurs, Newcastle and Sunderland, their fans have huge expectations and any combination of those 3 clubs could be amongst the teams relegated.

Charlie-Brown

I think the location & Craig Gordon already being there might make it a more attractive proposition for Berra than it would otherwise be - that said there is also rumours that Sunderland are interested in Kilgallon from Sheffield Utd?

They had a couple of emails on Real Radio and Andy Devlin said the Sun's Edinburgh journalist was working on the story this afternoon. He and EC promised to get back with news from their contacts but it wasnt even mentioned after that. They ran out of time after Roughy went on for ages about some golfing story that was suppoed to be funny i think. Then they had a drunk Celtic fan predicting the weekend scores and a couple of moaning weegies.

Was just reading somewere its actually a Fiorentina Defender there getting on Loan and they are waiting on Fiorentina Ok'ing it once they complete a signing, was just some generic sunderland site I have now lost.

I heard today from a "utd scout" that berra was in sunderland today?

?3million is a good price and I think Kari would do the job in central defence, eggy in the midfield.

Charlie-Brown
Was just reading somewere its actually a Fiorentina Defender there getting on Loan and they are waiting on Fiorentina Ok'ing it once they complete a signing, was just some generic sunderland site I have now lost.

Costa is just one name in the frame - reading the last couple of paragraphs of this Sky article the mystery player could have several offers - or at least that's how it reads to me?

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11695_4836815,00.html

Charlie-Brown
I heard today from a "utd scout" that berra was in sunderland today?

?3million is a good price and I think Kari would do the job in central defence, eggy in the midfield.

Don't know if Berra is in the north-east or wherever but regards positions if Csaba has put Jonsson in at centre-back 2 or 3 times this season whilst keeping Karipidis in midfield I don't reckon he would be in a hurry to change that if Berra left?

Does anyone under-rate their own players as much as Hearts fans? When you see some of the tripe that gets talked up over at Hibs.net it's pretty depressing that we have a tall, strong, pacy international defender and the general consensus seems to be meh, he's ok.

As somebody who has been to a lot of Premiership games, the defending down there really isn't up to all that much a lot of the time. I have no doubt Berra will go down there and do a good job for Sunderland if he moves.

He's also got the correct attitude so that the step-up shouldn't phase him too much and whilst he might not play every game right now, if they are patient he could go on to be a mainstay in the team by next season.

Don't know if Berra is in the north-east or wherever but regards positions if Csaba has put Jonsson in at centre-back 2 or 3 times this season whilst keeping Karipidis in midfield I don't reckon he would be in a hurry to change that if Berra left?

Fingers crossed. Kari has been excellent in midfield and really don't want that to change. One of our most assured players in possession and rarely wastes a pass.

Reading the ref backs would appear to suggest the Sunderland fans are not overly excited, they dont like us either :)

Does anyone under-rate their own players as much as Hearts fans? When you see some of the tripe that gets talked up over at Hibs.net it's pretty depressing that we have a tall, strong, pacy international defender and the general consensus seems to be meh, he's ok.

Completely agree, ?3m is not that great a fee IMO. Decent money for us but when you consider we are losing our Captain and best defender that I am not all that excited about him leaving or Barr replacing him.

portobellojambo1

As somebody who has been to a lot of Premiership games, the defending down there really isn't up to all that much a lot of the time. I have no doubt Berra will go down there and do a good job for Sunderland if he moves.

He's also got the correct attitude so that the step-up shouldn't phase him too much and whilst he might not play every game right now, if they are patient he could go on to be a mainstay in the team by next season.

Is that not the problem with Sunderland though djf, that in their position they are looking for someone, a central defender, who will play every game, and be an instant hit (or if you like, keep them in the Premiership). I have little doubt if Christophe was going down now, to be groomed for next season, that would work, but I suspect whoever signs is being signed to keep them in the Premiership, and if Berra went and Sunderland failed to stay up he could well become the scapegoat, classed instantly as a failure.

I am convinced Berra will make it in the EPL, but I do not think Sunderland is the correct choice of club at this time.

It is quite possible that Berra would command a greater fee in 6 months' or a year's time - but if the club receive a ?3m bid I don't think they can really turn it down in the current climate. It would be disappointing to see Berra go but its vital that the club stabalises its finances.

Drylaw Hearts

I don't think he's quite ready for the EPL and a Summer move to one of the teams going down may be a wiser move for him.

It's too big up a step at the moment for him.

A year or 2 in the Championship would do him no harm at all.

Hi Sunderland fan here. I have a little soft spot for Hearts and seen a fair few games on Setanta so have seen enough of Berra to be pretty happy if this signing goes through. Agree with some that he may not be ready to be thrown straight into our back 4 and with that being our weak area im still hoping we have someone else lined up too.

Anton Ferdinand is by far our best Centre Back and has been pretty spot on for us so far but it's finding that partnership to go with him. Nosworthy is decent but mistake prone and not the long term answer (good Championship player) whilst McShane is complete ****e.

Lastly our fans may come across a bit arrogant and to be honest every club has there ***** anyway, but the fear of relegation and the fact we are only a good cb away from probably having a decent enough team to keep us up means were all a bit edgy towards signing someone from the SPL. Russell Anderson and Stokes being 2 recent ones that weren't up to it but came with good reputations from Aberdeen and Falkirk fans respectively. And Gordon who overall has been ok and has alot of potential still didn't live up to the reputation and price tag he came with.

Hi Sunderland fan here. I have a little soft spot for Hearts and seen a fair few games on Setanta so have seen enough of Berra to be pretty happy if this signing goes through. Agree with some that he may not be ready to be thrown straight into our back 4 and with that being our weak area im still hoping we have someone else lined up too.

Anton Ferdinand is by far our best Centre Back and has been pretty spot on for us so far but it's finding that partnership to go with him. Nosworthy is decent but mistake prone and not the long term answer (good Championship player) whilst McShane is complete ****e.

Lastly our fans may come across a bit arrogant and to be honest every club has there ***** anyway, but the fear of relegation and the fact we are only a good cb away from probably having a decent enough team to keep us up means were all a bit edgy towards signing someone from the SPL. Russell Anderson and Stokes being 2 recent ones that weren't up to it but came with good reputations from Aberdeen and Falkirk fans respectively. And Gordon who overall has been ok and has alot of potential still didn't live up to the reputation and price tag he came with.

Can you give us ?9 Million for Berra too? :D

Charlie-Brown
Completely agree, ?3m is not that great a fee IMO. Decent money for us but when you consider we are losing our Captain and best defender that I am not all that excited about him leaving or Barr replacing him.

Why do you say this Dazo?

No keeper could play at there best with your defense in front of them. :rolleyes:

Is that not the problem with Sunderland though djf, that in their position they are looking for someone, a central defender, who will play every game, and be an instant hit (or if you like, keep them in the Premiership). I have little doubt if Christophe was going down now, to be groomed for next season, that would work, but I suspect whoever signs is being signed to keep them in the Premiership, and if Berra went and Sunderland failed to stay up he could well become the scapegoat, classed instantly as a failure.

I am convinced Berra will make it in the EPL, but I do not think Sunderland is the correct choice of club at this time.

The one thing is that he will be busy in what is currently one of the worst defences in the EPL, sink or swim comes to mind, for what is worth I think Berra will make it the EPL just not sure that the Makems would be his club of choice.

From a personal opinion, Jonsson is almost as good as Berra.

I think we should look to sign a left back if Berra goes as there seems to be bog all cover for Lee Wallace

Charlie-Brown

Is Barr even in the frame if Berra leaves? I'm not sure Hearts would go out and pay the kind of fee necessary to get Barr if Falkirk thought we had just received circa ?3M , the speculation linking us with Donnelly of Airdrie or Haining of St Mirren seemed more realistic to me as the fee required would be much lower...

Why do you say this Dazo?

Which part ? Berra leaving or Barr replacing him ?

I think not being excited about Berra leaving pretty much speaks for itself.

Barr is a decent enough player but is not good enough at the moment to replace Berra IMO. I really think we will miss him if he leaves.

I do appreciate though that we are not in the position to turn down millions of pounds. I am just saying the fee is not that great.

Is Barr even in the frame if Berra leaves? I'm not sure Hearts would go out and pay the kind of fee necessary to get Barr if Falkirk thought we had just received circa ?3M , the speculation linking us with Donnelly of Airdrie or Haining of St Mirren seemed more realistic to me as the fee required would be much lower...

I have no idea if we are genuinely in for Barr I just used his name as an example since we were linked with him. However if we are targeting players who are worse than him then it makes the deal even worse IMO.

If he does go do we need a replacement? Jose could well be back in the summer too.

Jose replace Berra ? behave yourself FFS.

If he does go do we need a replacement? Jose could well be back in the summer too.

I think we should get rid of him! I think there was a fee of ?2.3 million (?) already agreed if that German club (can't remember who it is again) want him.

Charlie-Brown
I have no idea if we are genuinely in for Barr I just used his name as an example since we were linked with him. However if we are targeting players who are worse than him then it makes the deal even worse IMO.

I reckon any replacement will either be a player with potential or possibly an older experienced pro but I doubt we could sign someone currently the 'equal' of Berra or we'd be paying ?2M-?3M surely?

I reckon any replacement will either be a player with potential or possibly an older experienced pro but I doubt we could sign someone currently the 'equal' of Berra or we'd be paying ?2M-?3M surely?

I would take good experienced pro if Berra left because I think we would need him. The thought of a young player coming in and playing beside Zal is frightening.

He's got pace and nobody on Earth can shield a ball out of play like him but he doesn't have the aerial ability or positional sense to replace Berra

portobellojambo1

The bit I have highlighted above is the bit that worries me Kubicki85. Is Christophe Berra a good central defender, yes, if given time to settle in would he do a good job for you, yes. But as you say, and as I suspected, you need someone who the Sunderland fans are convinced will gel into the side immediately, and help keep you in the EPL (understandable given the financial implications should you be relegated).

If Berra fails to live up to expectations he could carry the can, in the eyes of the fans, were you to go down. I think he is a good central defender, but reality is he has never been tested against forwards of the calibre he would come up against regularly in the EPL.

Same could be said about whoever you sign of course, but because it is one of our players, I want to see him succeed when he moves on. If given time, i.e. groomed for involvement next season, I think he would be an excellent signing for you, but he may not be who you need at this point in time, an instant fix.

He's got pace and nobody on Earth can shield a ball out of play like him but he doesn't have the aerial ability or positional sense to replace Berra

Im referring to the Jose of the first 6 months, not the one of last season.

Imo a Jose of that period could be even better than berra, also re the 2.3 mn, they actually need to decide on it, its not a foregone conclusion.

I wouldn't be in the least bit surprised if Nuremberg didn't pay the ?2.3m for Jose. From what I've seen of him, I certainly wouldn't.

Im referring to the Jose of the first 6 months, not the one of last season.

Imo a Jose of that period could be even better than berra, also re the 2.3 mn, they actually need to decide on it, its not a foregone conclusion.

I'd like the Miko from the first 6 months too but thats not going to happen either

even if the loan deal isn't turned into a permanent transfer we could still get 1.5m - 2m for him I reckon and that would be good business

Walter Bishop

I cant believe supporters of a club with defenders like, Mcshane,Nosworthy,A.Ferdinand,McCartney etc etc would not be happy with the signing of Berra!!!

Double standards or what!!!

Sunderland`s problem is that they are like Newcastle they are big clubs in their own city`s, That is it!! no one wants to play for them and they have to pay megabucks just to entice players. Sunderland are a championship club!!

Hope Berra joins Fulham after reading some of the stuff on their site!!

I cant believe supporters of a club with defenders like, Mcshane,Nosworthy,A.Ferdinand,McCartney etc etc would not be happy with the signing of Berra!!!

Double standards or what!!!

They are a diddy team thats why ;)

Expect the deal to be completed over the weekend. Berra,s last game tommorrow. More positive though is that Bruno appears to have agreed an extension and is just waiting to sign it.

Geoff Kilpatrick
I'm philosophical about Berra's potential departure to be honest. ?3 million is a good price and Sunderland are obviously a much bigger club than ourselves and it would be wrong to deny him the opportunity to better himself.

Players come and go, what is most important at the current time is that Hearts continue to reduce the debt where possible so as to ensure the long term survival of the club.

Totally agree.

On another point, for all the talk of 'fire sales' of our players it is encouraging that we are still refusing to sell until an acceptable price comes in, rather than just accepting the first offer that comes our way like the previous regime did.

For ?3 million Sunderland could turn a profit on Berra easy, if he goes and they stay up either in the summer or next Jan Berra would be worth double that :eek:

For us to lose one of the most influential and dedicated players at the moment is madness, he's been a half decent captain and would probably go for more or at least the same in the summer.

Dont sell :mad:

Dont be mad, ..... Vlad

Archived