English Premiership Relegation Battle

New Dawn

I think that this seasons Premiership is turning into the most interesting season for many years.

The battle at the top of the league is taking up most of the column inches, but the mediocrity at the bottom has produced a fascinating battle to escape the drop to the Championship.

There are now 13 teams separated by 7 points from Tottenham in 20th up to Hull in 8th.

To illustrate how tight the league is, today Tottneham can jump from 20th to 12th if they beat Portsmouth at home. I'd imagine that by mid January in most seasons 12th would be a relatively safe postion to be in.

I think that the transfer window will obviosuly be key. Portsmouth, who are on a terrible run, might get the chance now to buy themselves out of trouble given the money that has come in.

So who are likely to go down? My tips at the moment would be Middlesborough, West Brom and Bolton.

Newcastle are in serious trouble, as are a lot of teams.

Cant see Bolton going down as they know the drill down there. Boro are on an awful run and slip from dropped points to dropped points.

West Brom just concede far too many goals to stay in the Premiership.

I think that this seasons Premiership is turning into the most interesting season for many years.

The battle at the top of the league is taking up most of the column inches, but the mediocrity at the bottom has produced a fascinating battle to escape the drop to the Championship.

There are now 13 teams separated by 7 points from Tottenham in 20th up to Hull in 8th.

To illustrate how tight the league is, today Tottneham can jump from 20th to 12th if they beat Portsmouth at home. I'd imagine that by mid January in most seasons 12th would be a relatively safe postion to be in.

I think that the transfer window will obviosuly be key. Portsmouth, who are on a terrible run, might get the chance now to buy themselves out of trouble given the money that has come in.

So who are likely to go down? My tips at the moment would be Middlesborough, West Brom and Bolton.

Hull will be relegated, FACT.....

Im not up to speed with everything thats goin on but i think one of the "big" teams (spurs, newcastle etc) will go down along with another 2. I hope west brom stay up cos thats my mrs team and her dads a season ticket holder and it'll be a long boring summer if they're gonna end up in the championship... made even worse by the fact that wolves are most likely gonna go up.

I tend to agree, great start to the season but they have been in freefall for weeks, 100/30 with Wm Hills to go down, great price

The Future's Maroon

I was looking at the league this morning and it is excellent veiwing for a neutral, I would hat eto be a fan of one of those teams in the bottom 10 because no-one looks safe.

Seems to have had a good effect on the bookies too tho, some of the odds on teams yesterday were great!

Charlie-Brown

I don't think Blackburn or Wigan will go down & I also don't think Fulham will go down but then I also believed they had a chance to stay up last season which they did with a last gasp escape - several teams though just can't buy a win just now.

Stoke will go down. West Brom will stay up. Other than that, I really don't have a clue - but would currently plump for Portsmouth... and Hull. :eek:

Charlie-Brown

I think Stoke have been involved and prepared for the relegation scrap from day one of the season - they aint pretty and they aint very good however they have managed to avoid becoming detached at the bottom and might just be more capable of scraping enough points in the crucial ugly games than some of the normally higher placed teams whose stomach for the fight is questionable.

The three promoted teams will, in my opinion, be relegated. However, because of the sameness ( arguably mediocrity) of so many teams, it is possible to see a bigger club- Spurs or Newcastle- failing to escape this year.

Portsmouth were my tip to go down a month ago, but they have raised a lot of cash and might just be in a position to bring in 3-4 decent players to stabilise them.

I really hope the Boro go down as I can't stand Gareth Southgate and I don't think that they would be any loss to the Premiership at all.

One of the other reasons that I think HULL will go down is that they have just signed Kevin Kilbane and trying to sign Boa Morte from West Ham, says it all really.

loveofthegame

Very very exciting, 3 points splitting 20th and 12th. Looking forward to the run it. Great game so far at Upton Park today.

Portsmouth were my tip to go down a month ago, but they have raised a lot of cash and might just be in a position to bring in 3-4 decent players to stabilise them.

I really hope the Boro go down as I can't stand Gareth Southgate and I don't think that they would be any loss to the Premiership at all.

Come on Boro

They will stay once they start scoring goals. 10 games without a win is not good.

I hope West Brom stay up, particularly if Birmingham and Wolves manage to gain promotion. I think Hull and Stoke will definitely go and I can see Bolton joining them as Gary Megson really isn't a good football manager.

Hull, Stoke and Newcastle.

I agree with Hull and Stoke going down, if Newcastle don't pick themselves up then they could be in serious danger of going down to.

Put ?20 quid on them to go down after we beat them in pre-season. Felt like a right pillock until a couple of weeks ago.

Newcastle look the obvious candidate for a "shock" club to go down although it really wouldnt be that much of a surprise. Pure pish. Ashley's on the Sunderland payroll if you ask me, talk about sabotage.

West Brom Stoke and Boro. Newcastle will be ok as we have martins and the duke to come back from injury along with Barton and Beye. unfortunately Spurs will stop up to.

That was a pretty poor result for Tottenham today. Portsmouth have been on a dreadful run and you need to win games against other teams at the bottom, particularly when you are at home.

Despite 'arry's great start, they are still deep in the mire. I wouldn't be surprised to see them doing well in all of the cups and still getting relegated (a la Middlesborough when they had Juninho playing for them).

I think that the transfer window will obviously be key. Portsmouth, who are on a terrible run, might get the chance now to buy themselves out of trouble given the money that has come in.

I could not agree more, by this stage in the season normally there is one who has become adrift and would be certain to go down.

Currently as you point out all the teams up to Hull IMO Are in grave danger of relegation.

It really is too tight to call at the moment, but is fascinating to watch, as for the top can Villa break into the top 4 at Arsenals expense, i think they will bottle it.:)

Pompey had 37Million of debt and have now pretty much wiped that out with the sales of Defoe and Diarra. Now is that just coincidence that they are currently for sale by their dodgy foreign owner? I doubt they?ll buy anyone. Adams will have to work with what he has. If they get Fratton Park back to being Fortress Fratton then they?ll stay up.

Stoke, West Brom and one of the North East 3 for me...

I would jump for joy if the Toon were relegated.

There fans still go on about the messiah King Kev and how amazing Alan Shearer is (when did he actual leave again?) a legend(!) that keeps rejecting to go back to them, hope they go down, most fickle fans I know and a dump of a ground.

I would jump for joy if the Toon were relegated.

There fans still go on about the messiah King Kev and how amazing Alan Shearer is (when did he actual leave again?) a legend(!) that keeps rejecting to go back to them, hope they go down, most fickle fans I know and a dump of a ground.

Bollocks.

Tell that to Allardyce. Was delighted to see Blackburn hump the despicable Geordies.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/blog/2009/jan/15/sam-allardyce-newcastle-united-blackburn

Louise Taylor, incidentally, is a Sunderland fan who normally never misses an opportunity to stick the boot in. But she gets it bang on the money here.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/blog/2009/jan/15/sam-allardyce-newcastle-united-blackburn

Louise Taylor, incidentally, is a Sunderland fan who normally never misses an opportunity to stick the boot in. But she gets it bang on the money here.

I dont care if Louise Taylor is Niall Quinn in drag, Allardyce is a proven manager and p*sses all over Keegan and Kinnear. Anyone who cant see this is a geordie sympathiser.

Allardyce given time would of sorted Newcastle out, FACT! It is not the rest of the premier leagues responsibilty to listen to drunk geordies who spend their benefits on season tickets cry in their newcastle brown ales how keegan is a legend and Allardyce brought in terrible players like Viduka (one of the best strikers in the prem under a good manager....oh wait they sacked him)

Message to Newcastle fans

Get it right up you Geordies, you have never been a big club, i hop you get relegated. Now go back to your nightclubs and bars, and top yourself on apple soors and corkys you bunch of scrubbers.

I dont care if Louise Taylor is Niall Quinn in drag, Allardyce is a proven manager and p*sses all over Keegan and Kinnear. Anyone who cant see this is a geordie sympathiser.

Allardyce given time would of sorted Newcastle out, FACT! It is not the rest of the premier leagues responsibilty to listen to drunk geordies who spend their benefits on season tickets cry in their newcastle brown ales how keegan is a legend and Allardyce brought in terrible players like Viduka (one of the best strikers in the prem under a good manager....oh wait they sacked him)

Message to Newcastle fans

Get it right up you Geordies, you have never been a big club, i hop you get relegated. Now go back to your nightclubs and bars, and top yourself on apple soors and corkys you bunch of scrubbers.

Gibberish. They were heading rapidly downwards. "Nullify, nullify!" - what does that anecdote about him spending his entire team talk droning on and on about what to do when the opposition had the ball tell you? I had the extreme misfortune of watching Newcastle's 0-0 draw at Stoke last January on the BBC: in a flash, I could see what the Toon fans' problem was with him (and incidentally, only some of them wanted him out anyway). Even worse: Big Sam thought it was a decent performance! :eek:

No way on earth would you be able to tolerate the drivel he served up: it made Laszlo's Hearts look like Brazil 1970. Then Keegan, slowly but surely, rebuilt their confidence and started to improve them, until Mike Ashley pulled a Vlad and bought and sold players from under him. I find it extremely strange that Hearts fans, of all people, given the nonsense structure we had to put up with for over two years, can't see when exactly the same thing is happening at another club; nor indeed the borderline deliberate sabotage that is going on there now.

Ashley threw his toys out the pram the moment he was rightly castigated. Then he appointed Joe Kinnear. Joe Kinnear - at Newcastle?! It defies belief; except if you remember that Ashley will find it an awful lot easier to sell them if they're relegated. Of course, you revealed your real motives and prejudices in your final paragraph anyway - but those fans are unbelievable. They take so much ****, and they just keep coming back for more. If Newcastle aren't a big club, I take it Hearts weren't between 1962 and 1998 either? They are: they're just consistently the most scandalously mismanaged one on the planet.

Newcastle or Blackburn?

Kinnear or Big Sam?

I know who I would choose everyday of the week to stay up.

Newcastle appointing a manager who's style of play does not fit in with the free flowing Roy of The Rovers style football was madness. Big Sam is a decent enough manager, but his marriage to Newcastle was always going to end in tears.

If Newcastle go down, no tears shed from me.

Gibberish. They were heading rapidly downwards. "Nullify, nullify!" - what does that anecdote about him spending his entire team talk droning on and on about what to do when the opposition had the ball tell you? I had the extreme misfortune of watching Newcastle's 0-0 draw at Stoke last January on the BBC: in a flash, I could see what the Toon fans' problem was with him (and incidentally, only some of them wanted him out anyway). Even worse: Big Sam thought it was a decent performance! :eek:

No way on earth would you be able to tolerate the drivel he served up: it made Laszlo's Hearts look like Brazil 1970. Then Keegan, slowly but surely, rebuilt their confidence and started to improve them, until Mike Ashley pulled a Vlad and bought and sold players from under him. I find it extremely strange that Hearts fans, of all people, given the nonsense structure we had to put up with for over two years, can't see when exactly the same thing is happening at another club; nor indeed the borderline deliberate sabotage that is going on there now.

Ashley threw his toys out the pram the moment he was rightly castigated. Then he appointed Joe Kinnear. Joe Kinnear - at Newcastle?! It defies belief; except if you remember that Ashley will find it an awful lot easier to sell them if they're relegated. Of course, you revealed your real motives and prejudices in your final paragraph anyway - but those fans are unbelievable. They take so much ****, and they just keep coming back for more. If Newcastle aren't a big club, I take it Hearts weren't between 1962 and 1998 either? They are: they're just consistently the most scandalously mismanaged one on the planet.

You are correct that Hearts fans havent viewed themselves as a big club since the fifties. We dont expect to win the league.

Yes i have prejudices against Newcastle, i live with 2 Geordie girls + a blackburn fan and a tottenham fan. We are all in support of the deluded ones going down and i find it hilarious to see spurs down there too.

If you want to look at a club that deserves praise, similair to Hearts who dont throw there toys out the pram, it is Sheffield Wednesday. Brilliant support at the weekend and have eaten some humble pie in the last decade + learned from mistakes.

Newcastle are rotten to the core. The only similarities they share with Hearts are the bad ones. Mike Ashley should wind the club up just to see the look on there greetin wee faces.

What do they put in the water down in Norwich Shaun? you sympathise with Hibs and now Newcastle. Newcastle deserve no sympathy and Hibs deserve a kick in the vagina.

The end.

Newcastle or Blackburn?

Kinnear or Big Sam?

I know who I would choose everyday of the week to stay up.

Newcastle appointing a manager who's style of play does not fit in with the free flowing Roy of The Rovers style football was madness. Big Sam is a decent enough manager, but his marriage to Newcastle was always going to end in tears.

If Newcastle go down, no tears shed from me.

I live with a Blackburn fan, spurs and Sheffield Wednesday fan, and we would "LOVE IT JUST LOVE IT" If the geordies went down back to where they belong with there minus 10,000 fans they used to get.

Incidentally he is on owls talk as stirling owl and i read some of your posts when he is on. Stalker alert! :tongue:

Shaun is messed up when it comes to his footballing allegiances. I used to be fond of Norwich city too... :laugh:

Stirling Owl? Comes across as a good bloke.

He is no doubt as delighted as I am at the recent events at the club.

You are correct that Hearts fans havent viewed themselves as a big club since the fifties. We dont expect to win the league.

Yes i have prejudices against Newcastle, i live with 2 Geordie girls + a blackburn fan and a tottenham fan. We are all in support of the deluded ones going down and i find it hilarious to see spurs down there too.

If you want to look at a club that deserves praise, similair to Hearts who dont throw there toys out the pram, it is Sheffield Wednesday. Brilliant support at the weekend and have eaten some humble pie in the last decade + learned from mistakes.

Newcastle are rotten to the core. The only similarities they share with Hearts are the bad ones. Mike Ashley should wind the club up just to see the look on there greetin wee faces.

What do they put in the water down in Norwich Shaun? you sympathise with Hibs and now Newcastle. Newcastle deserve no sympathy and Hibs deserve a kick in the vagina.

The end.

Neither do Newcastle - but don't let that get in the way of your stereotypes. Oh, and Hearts fans certainly do regard ourselves as a big (in Scottish terms) club; just as Newcastle are a big club in English terms.

Sheffield Wednesday fans are amazing, I agree. I'm baffled as to what mistakes their appalling board have 'learned from', though. I have a good number of Newcastle supporting friends: they're good people, as far removed from your caricatures as it's possible to imagine. And they do not deserve what is being done to their club.

Stirling Owl? Comes across as a good bloke.

He is no doubt as delighted as I am at the recent events at the club.

What events are they? Boardroom changes or summat?

Neither do Newcastle - but don't let that get in the way of your stereotypes. Oh, and Hearts fans certainly do regard ourselves as a big (in Scottish terms) club; just as Newcastle are a big club in English terms.

Sheffield Wednesday fans are amazing, I agree. I'm baffled as to what mistakes their appalling board have 'learned from', though. I have a good number of Newcastle supporting friends: they're good people, as far removed from your caricatures as it's possible to imagine. And they do not deserve what is being done to their club.

Maybe you should unsubscribe from your Newcastle fanzine and pick up a paper about teams in the english championship. You know, that league that Norwich city are in? You could hand in your hibs.net membership too.

There is a new Chairman at the club as well as (i think) a re-shuffle in the boardroom. The cub is also close to agreeing big investment.

Its only been over a week since the new chairman has come in, so I dont think we will see the fruits of the new direction for a while yet.

The club is communicating with the fans again and there seems to be a genuine feel good factor at the club, rather than a "Us and them" attitude which unfortunatly had gone on for quite some time.

Maybe you should unsubscribe from your Newcastle fanzine and pick up a paper about teams in the english championship. You know, that league that Norwich city are in? You could hand in your hibs.net membership too.

Funny - I thought it was you always criticising others for emotive arguments? You could just debate the point at hand, though this might be too revolutionary an idea for you, it seems...

There is a new Chairman at the club as well as (i think) a re-shuffle in the boardroom. The cub is also close to agreeing big investment.

Its only been over a week since the new chairman has come in, so I dont think we will see the fruits of the new direction for a while yet.

The club is communicating with the fans again and there seems to be a genuine feel good factor at the club, rather than a "Us and them" attitude which unfortunatly had gone on for quite some time.

Hallelujah - and long, long overdue. Does that mean that tit who tried to sue some fans has finally gone?

Funny - I thought it was you always criticising others for emotive arguments? You could just debate the point at hand, though this might be too revolutionary an idea for you, it seems...

Lolzer, comparing Gaza to football banter. :emoticon_spam: :emoticon_spam: :108years:

Lolzer, comparing Gaza to football banter. :emoticon_spam: :emoticon_spam: :108years:

The football's much, much more important than that. :)

Hallelujah - and long, long overdue. Does that mean that tit who tried to sue some fans has finally gone?

Not sure if Allen still has money in the club, he is not the chairman now though and his number two (chief executive) Kavin Walker left last week.

The football's much, much more important than that. :)

Correct! I hope next time Hibs fans are called sewer dwelling reptiles, you provide physiological evidence that they are in fact human beings. I would suggest not to use any part of Riordans anatomy however as he may come under the category of sub-human.

Not sure if Allen still has money in the club, he is not the chairman now though and his number two (chief executive) Kavin Walker left last week.

Hearts win

Tottenham out the relgation zone

Blackburn win and also out of relegation zone

Newcastle humped

Wenesday over 28,000 watch bottom of the league get humped

celtic lose.

Dundee united humped

Great weekend, shame Hibs had to win!

Hearts win

Tottenham out the relgation zone

Blackburn win and also out of relegation zone

Newcastle humped

Wenesday over 28,000 watch bottom of the league get humped

celtic lose.

Dundee united humped

Great weekend, shame Hibs had to win!

I notice you paying great attention to Wednesday's crowds, but being blissfully unaware of Norwich's continued extraordinary crowds too. It's one of the reasons I like the Owls - and in an ideal world, would have us both go up.

You like Blackeye Rovers, by the way? Why?

I notice you paying great attention to Wednesday's crowds, but being blissfully unaware of Norwich's continued extraordinary crowds too. It's one of the reasons I like the Owls - and in an ideal world, would have us both go up.

You like Blackeye Rovers, by the way? Why?

Ive explained this in my posts if you started reading and stopped trying to put your ipod shuffle onto the proclaimers!

I live with a blackburn fan, a wednesday fan and a spurs fan, plus two geordie girls and a girl who doesnt like footy.

Incidentally the two hardcore newcastle fans can only name Michael owen as one of there players. Oh and keiran dyer apparently.

Norwich have a great fanbase. As do many championship clubs. But Wednesday fans have had to put up with a lot of sh*t and its good to see them turning it around. Do i feel sorry for the spoilt wee child of the EPL Newcastle....nope.

Archived