"Who'd want to be a Social Worker?"

jambogaza

John Smeaton's article in the Sun yesterday appeared to completely denounce the role of a Social Worker and attempt to scare anyone thinking of such a career path right off. Apparently, it's not worth the emotionally straining situations for a mere 30k a year.

IS it just me that sees this as an irresponsible and ridiculous remark? Surely, in a country where there is a significant lack of Social Workers, we should be encouraging people to consider this career rather than scaring them off.

More to the point, why are people like John Smeaton being allowed to write articles on such sensitive issues? It's scary.

What's more scary is people actually read 'Smeato's articles.:eek:

The rag was lying on the desk of our canteen, so had a quick look through before starting my shift. I could hardly ignore the headline since it is my career choice. Felt quite sick after reading it to be honest.

The Sun is one of the best selling newspapers in Britain. If that isn't scary enough, the fact people like Smeaton could be having an influence on the general public is terrifying.

I doubt that Smeaton has ever written more than a word of his journalistic career. Basically the Sun use his name and photo at the top of a page to make readers think that they are reading the views of the average guy in the street.

Commander Harris

here's the column in question:

http://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/scotsol/homepage/news/papercolumnists/smeato/article2134510.ece

FWIW I don't think he(or his ghost writer) is denouncing the role of social worker, more saying that it's a very difficult job which doesn't get the financial reward it deserves.

but like I say, smeato is certainly not worth listening to anyway and I doubt whether his column has any influence on any right-thinking person.

If "Smeato" wrote that, then I wrote all the Harry Potter books!! :)

He's a Brain deed Weegie Blue Nose...Nothing more, nothing less!!

Smeato Wrote...:laugh:

Bonnie Prince Charlie

I read somewhere that Bill Leckie was the ghost writer for Billy Liar Smeato. It was on the net so must be true.

Commander Harris
Social Work is somethig I wish I had the guts to do - but I doubt I could.

When I've covered child abuse cases in court I find it terribly harrowing - I can't imagine how I could do that day in day out.

Social Workers have my utmost respect. They are always the first to get a kicking when something - often beyond their control - goes wrong too.

'Smeato' has worded it poorly - I think he's saying how difficult it is, but could read as saying Social Workers shouldn't want to do it. Thankfully there are people out there brave enough to do that vital job.

I'd echo all of that.

They go to houses with the police, who are kitted out in stab proof vest, and let them deal with it. If anything thing happens then the police get involved. So the police are outside, with their stab proof vests, and my missus is in there with a badge round her neck as her only protection, if anything does kick off. Does she worry about it? Yes. Would she stop being one? No. These people do make a difference.

She would sometimes say what she was doing in the day but doesn't now because I would be a jabbering wreck until she phoned.

If you want to be a Social Worker do it, it helps

My absolute hatred for this man knows no bounds.

Typical Glaswegian.

Have a go when the numbers are in your favour and stick the boot in when the boy is on the deck.

:tongue:

The day someone looks forward to reading "Smeato's" comments in the paper is the day they should realise they need a Social Worker, or maybe a lobotomy.

Like others have said, I think he would struggle to write his own name, never mind a few thousand words every week for a national newspaper.

Why the Sun haven't emptied this attention-seeking oxygen thief by now is beyond me. Maybe he should limp off into the sunset and travel round Scotland collecting all these imaginary pints half the population wanted to buy him after his "heroics".:rolleyes:

In response to the question, me. I start my training next month. Its taken me awhile to get there though. I always had it at the back of my mind and decided about three/four years ago, to go for it. Im delighted I did. I thoroughly enjoy the volunteer role I have, which I took to gain experience. I enjoyed my (unpaid) Student Placement at college last year even more. And I cant wait to start my PostGrad training next month.

Its actually nice to see positive remarks on the profession here. I often get asked the question "why do you want to do it? You get a load of ****e and not much credit for little return (paywise)". Trying to justify the profession is hard too. I want to do it to help people. If it were the money, I would go for something else. As soon as it becomes about the cash, its time to walk away.

heartgarfunkel

All the best Chester. There are totally pish social workers. As in there are totally pish individuals in every profession that exists. But the media reporting of social work failings mean that there is a skewed public perception of the role, and the type of person doing that job.

Social workers in my professional experience of them tend to be exceptionally capable, dedicated, caring, conscientious professionals who do a job where even angels would fear to tread. The problem is that the dross rises to the top - too crap to be effective, too verbose and rights aware to sack - so promote them out of the problem. So the foot soldiers who are in it for the right reasons have their workloads mismanaged by utter erses. Said erses tend to get 'packages' when it all goes breests up, and the social workers carry on at the coal face, being shot at from all sides.

Huge respect to social workers

Randle P McMurphy
All the best Chester. There are totally pish social workers. As in there are totally pish individuals in every profession that exists. But the media reporting of social work failings mean that there is a skewed public perception of the role, and the type of person doing that job.

Social workers in my professional experience of them tend to be exceptionally capable, dedicated, caring, conscientious professionals who do a job where even angels would fear to tread. The problem is that the dross rises to the top - too crap to be effective, too verbose and rights aware to sack - so promote them out of the problem. So the foot soldiers who are in it for the right reasons have their workloads mismanaged by utter erses. Said erses tend to get 'packages' when it all goes breests up, and the social workers carry on at the coal face, being shot at from all sides.

Huge respect to social workers

Absolutely, the media spin on the social worker role is shocking. Anyone who wants to do it has my utmost respect.

Archived