Jambo Towns

neverlikedElvis

a mate of mine moved to stonnyburn, (I dont know why), he's hearts daft and when i went to see the new gaff, he said the folk across the road are jambos, whats the chances of there being two houses full of jambo's that far west?

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Canadianjambo
Wouldn't say its a Hearts town as it has a decent amount of fans who support both sides of the weeg band and some Hibees but Broxburn has a good Hearts support and is the present abode of past Hearts legend Freddie Glidden and our current hero Gary Glen which hopefully will help breed a future generation of wee jambos in the Brox!

Freddie Glidden is my hero if he breeds anyone more at this point! Every little bit helps though! :laugh:

I grew up in Galashiels mate, and it was riddled with Jambos, tons of us lived there and travelled up every week.

Now I'm in Rosyth I've noticed there are tons here too, and also in Inverkeithing with the Central bar being hoaching with us.

You're the lucky one bud :)

Nah, it's not too bad, too many weegie wannabes though

The Old Tolbooth
You're the lucky one bud :)

Nah, it's not too bad, too many weegie wannabes though

Aye there is that mate, I sometimes go to the Civil Service Club for a few beers when a game is on, and it's mostly huns in there, with the exception of Davie the tim lol, but Cleos used to be packed with tims until it shut down, and you know exactly where the Yard nails their colours!

Miller Jambo 60
Galashiels has a large Hearts support Borders Hearts run buses to all home games and some away games. The club had over 100 members in our heydey 1998 when we won that bigggggggggggggggg cup. No Hobo bus leaves from Gala apart form the odd appearance at Hampden. Last seen after the massacre in 2006.

:108years:

Was at a wedding in Gala last year and there was hearts songs at 1 in the morning.:108years::108years:

We are all over.

Although not jambo towns theres a decent hearts support in Lochgelly/Cardenden in fife

Agreed.

I can think of 20 odd in Cardenden alone.

Dalgety Bay seems to have a healthy Hearts support, certainly much more in evidence than the Hobos, and the Pars for that matter.

I know of countless Jambo's in the Bay but can only think of 2 Hibbys and they are the hubby and his mate:108years::108years::108years:

heartgarfunkel
Galashiels has a large Hearts support Borders Hearts run buses to all home games and some away games. The club had over 100 members in our heydey 1998 when we won that bigggggggggggggggg cup. No Hobo bus leaves from Gala apart form the odd appearance at Hampden. Last seen after the massacre in 2006.

Hawick's got a decent turn of Hearts supporters for a town whose colours are dark green! Always a few Jam Tarts in Dalton's, Jim Paris's battle cruiser.

heartgarfunkel
Tongue in cheek pal. I know of a couple of Hearts fans only, one of whom is my dad! The fact that their arch-rivals at rugby (Gala) play in maroon(ish) and Hawick play in green doesn't help any........

You arrived just in time to keep the Hearts presence alive - there was a Hearts fan in Hawick when I was a teenager there in the mid-late 80s but I think he emigrated to Australia.

I moved to Edinburgh from Hawick on Hogmanay 1989, and didn't have a scooby about football in Hawick, so I didn't count as a Jambo back then.

LOL, there's a good few dozen at least now, and many more to come due to the mighty HMFC kitting out some of the Primary schools with free Hearts kits:)

forgot to mention , i now live on the isle of lewis and even up here , when you take the weejie loving **** out of the equation , hearts are the biggest supported club.

when i first visited the island i was shocked to see a hearts boozer in stornoway:108years::108years:

Yeah same in ullapool. Majority OF lovers but after that a good number of Jambos and only 1 hibby :laugh:

As you drive into Ullapool there is a B&B called Tynecastle and 1 of the pubs had its bar all Maroon & White in honour of Hearts. Was a total shock to find the numbers of hearts fans up here, but in a good way :)

And whats wrong with Bonnyrigg

Notice you are from leith(great place to stay full of junkies and hoors)

Oh and Hobo bassa's

And Gary Naysmiths from Loanhead not Poltonhall if you are going to make statements check the facts first!!!!

just what i was told mate,from someone that said they knew him :rolleyes:. there is a hell of a lot wrong with bonnyrigg,its in an air bubble and full of neds(even though it does have a one nice part)the amount of things i have witnessed in bonnyrigg are shocking,it is just one of those places that sucks the life out of you(and i have heard that from every ex bonnyrigg pat who grew up there i know). but i have noticed in the pubs in bonnyrigg there are a hell of alot of old firm fans,which is confusing considering i dont see the link that could cause such a strong following of two teams the other side of the country. :mad:

neverlikedElvis
Yer arse.:tongue:

The majority of the Mayfield population originates from the Weeg. Huge amount of Rantic fans there compared to Loanhead/Bonnyrigg/Penicuik/Dalkeith.

Originally from Loanhead myself and I have to say it's the biggest Jambo town that I know of. The scenes on fountain green the night of 16/05/98 were phenomenal. :D

I was present at said scenes on fountain green and you are correct. ;)

Of course. East Calder has Jambos everywhere! Haha. There is quite a few of us though. And for famous Jambos Scott Crabbe lives in East Calder and I think Gary Wales used to stay in Mansfield. However as with the closer you get to the West the more Celtic and Rangers tops you see going about.

aye, but he`s Sighthill born and bred, so you can`t claim him!;)

neverlikedElvis
forgot to mention , i now live on the isle of lewis and even up here , when you take the weejie loving **** out of the equation , hearts are the biggest supported club.

when i first visited the island i was shocked to see a hearts boozer in stornoway:108years::108years:

I watched the derby 0-1 in that pub in stornoway. there's loads of hearts stuff behind the bar. I was quite impressed and thought it was a good sign.

then half a dozen hobos came in (honest) and brian keer scored shortly after.

:mad:

The bottom line is Hearts have a way bigger support than Hibs anyway and we probably draw more fans from their supposed stronghold areas than they do from ours.

Being a Toonie and having my opinion from afar:) I`ve got the impression over the years that the bulk of our support outside Edinburgh comes from Midlothian, the closer part of West Lothian to Edinburgh, a good amount from Fife and we pull good numbers from the Dark Side of the toon even though the Hobos will be slightly in the majority which you`d think anyway.

In Edinburgh we`re there , we`re there, we`re every feckin where.:)

I have a mate who lives about 400 miles to the south in a place called Los Angeles. The current population of greater L.A. is just short of 20 million. Heaven98 - often refers to himself as "the only Jambo in town". A town that has four times as many residents as Scotland.

Apart from that key fact - it must be lauded, all these claims to be a Jambo Town, but you can't really go beyond inner or even outer Gorgie for concentration of Jambos.

A few decades ago it was so overwhelming. In the 60's even when Hearts were on the wane and Celtic were strutting around Europe, you could count the number of Celtic supporters on one hand in inner Gorgie. There were about the same numbers of Hibbies and even fewer Huns. They were looked upon as weird species, as 99.999% of the population, from grannies to toddlers, postmen to hairdressers, killers to priests were Hearts supporters. Of course, nobody had heard of a Jambo in these days.

Inverkeithing has a great Hearts support, run buses to the big games and are a bunch of sound lads.

The Central Bar in Inverkeithing is a great Hearts pub ;)

Yep, loads of Hearts fans that go to the Central.

Dalgety Bay seems to have a healthy Hearts support, certainly much more in evidence than the Hobos, and the Pars for that matter.

Again hunners of jambos here!. Whenever I'm through in the pubs in aberdour, there are more Hibs fans there than jambos it seems.

I grew up in Galashiels mate, and it was riddled with Jambos, tons of us lived there and travelled up every week.

Now I'm in Rosyth I've noticed there are tons here too, and also in Inverkeithing with the Central bar being hoaching with us.

The Central bar on the day of the barcelona game. Great day!! :)

on how you came to love Hearts rather than location?

I grew up in Central Scotland.. a born in the wool Jambo with my first season being 85-86 going to games..sure i got stick at school but i coped as i was in it with my dad for the long haul..

Then moved to Edinburgh in 94 to be a student..bought my first flat 2 spits of a ball from Tynie in 98..no doubt you've all tried to park in the car park there on match days! stayed for 8 great years until i ended up with a baby and the Hobo bitch deserted us!!

So since 07 been in Falkirk..it's not a heartland but there are more here than you would reckon.

I still go to matches and look up at my old flat..being so close to Tynie is always home..but life moves on and it's not that easy affording the step up to a garden in the Capital is it?

Unless you inherit it G ;-)

just what i was told mate,from someone that said they knew him :rolleyes:. there is a hell of a lot wrong with bonnyrigg,its in an air bubble and full of neds(even though it does have a one nice part)the amount of things i have witnessed in bonnyrigg are shocking,it is just one of those places that sucks the life out of you(and i have heard that from every ex bonnyrigg pat who grew up there i know). but i have noticed in the pubs in bonnyrigg there are a hell of alot of old firm fans,which is confusing considering i dont see the link that could cause such a strong following of two teams the other side of the country. :mad:

Outrageous slur. :rolleyes:

Doctor FinnBarr
London is a Hearts town. Everyone in London supports Hearts and I have never met a single Hobo down here. There were street parties on Sunday at full time with pearly kings singing the Hearts song and having a jolly cockney knees-up with Chas and Dave singing a tinkly piano version of the 1902 song

FACT

GC

Class!

:108years::108years::108years:

LOL, there's a good few dozen at least now, and many more to come due to the mighty HMFC kitting out some of the Primary schools with free Hearts kits:)

Hope that includes my old primary - Drumlanrig!

Dr Ian Malcolm
And according to Wikipedia, Gary Glen was born in Livingston on 22 March 1990 & went to Broxburn Academy...

Only the very best born on that date :tongue:

Freddie Glidden is my hero if he breeds anyone more at this point! Every little bit helps though! :laugh:

I stay in the Brox,my lad goes to the Academy and is dead chuffed GG went

there.Loads o Jambo,s oot here as it is now Edinburgh overspill,cheaper

hooses,full o wanabee Weegie,s aswell tho.

Can I ask when was the last time you were in Bonnyrigg?

There are a fair few Jambos live here the Bonnyrigg Hearts Supporters bus is well attended every week

I am really surprised that not more Bonnyrigg folk have taken umbrage at what you have said about the town!!

And all that from a guy who stays in LEITH!!:laugh::laugh:

I am really surprised that not more Bonnyrigg folk have taken umbrage at what you have said about the town!!

If his opinion mattered I might be upset, but it's really pretty obvious he's talking from the wrong orifice.

I've lived in Loanhead and Bonnyrigg, both good Hearts towns.

Bonnyrigg and proud.

Captain Scarlett
London is a Hearts town. Everyone in London supports Hearts and I have never met a single Hobo down here. There were street parties on Sunday at full time with pearly kings singing the Hearts song and having a jolly cockney knees-up with Chas and Dave singing a tinkly piano version of the 1902 song

FACT

GC

nice one keep it up chas n dave rock (sort off):laugh:

If his opinion mattered I might be upset, but it's really pretty obvious he's talking from the wrong orifice.

I've lived in Loanhead and Bonnyrigg, both good Hearts towns.

Bonnyrigg and proud.

The guy has come over as a total prat on this thread, how anyone from Leith can slag ANYWHERE is beyond me

vlad on the tyne

I'm surprised by the amount of Jambos in West Lothian. Dedridge/East Calder and Deans appear to be where its at from what i've seen.

After moving through from Edinburgh 4 years ago I though I was moving to Glasgow ffs.:eek:

I'M IBRAHIM TALL
All the towns in Midlothian and the western fringes of Edinburgh are Hearts strongholds where Musselburgh and 'the Pans' seem to be full of Hobo tubes.

I'd say we are about half and half in MUsselburgh. Although as far as I'm aware the Flumps dont have a supporters club. Put it this way if they do it must be a taxi rather than a bus.

I stay in the Brox,my lad goes to the Academy and is dead chuffed GG went

there.Loads o Jambo,s oot here as it is now Edinburgh overspill,cheaper

hooses,full o wanabee Weegie,s aswell tho.

Agreed! Lived in Broxburn for years, defo a high percentage of Jamboness.

Ive just moved out to Fauldhouse in the last couple of months, strikes me as opposite but equal to Harthill! Think Im going to struggling to convert the masses out here.

Still, at least there is one small pocket of maroon and white amongst the green...

Before I retired I ran a business in Grangemouth.

About half a dozen of my regular customers were Hearts supporter, and would often discussed the goings on at Tynecastle with me.

What always struck me about this situation was that of the six or seven supporters involved, I was the only one who attended the games.

If the latent Hearts support could be mobilised, we would need a ground the size of Murrayfield.

Sorry to be a little off-topic.

Lived here for 21 years, and still pretty full of life.

What do you mean "an air bubble"?

What have you witnessed?

And yeah, Leith. :P

Is their any town that would be classed as a Hibee town?

Livingston's got a fair amount of Jambos not as many as the OF but way more than the Hobos! :)

Tranent!

brought up in Gilmerton, was always heavier to the jambo side than hobo, times change, still know quite a few jambos from the area, good Jambo following in YORK, only met 2 hobos down here and they keep a low profile:108years:

I grew up in Bo'ness which alas is full of knuckle dragging huns. But was proud, after the re-emergence of the club in the early 80's, of the running of the SQUIBBLE bus (South Queensferry, Bo'ness, Blackness and Linlithgow). Don't know if fragments of this still survive, but certainly instrumental in encouraging hearts support in these towns.

I would have to say Penicuik as being a huge Jambo town! I always remember being in Primary School when John Robertson and some PR guy attended to talk about HMFC and give out membership packs! This was probably what got me hooked on all things HMFC! Never saw any other team doing that - well not at my school anyway!!

Hearts are the best supported Scottish Club in Biggleswade (Bedfordshire). I am aware of 5 Jambos here (7 if you include my missus and daughter).

Biggleswade has a population of around 30,000. There is one fan(dan) for each of the Ugly Sisters but not a HObbo in sight.

To be fair there is a Hobbo in Sandy (6 miles north of Biggleswade) but then you'll often find a Hibby in Sandy or Jimmy or Stevie......:108years:

KilbrideJambo
The bottom line is Hearts have a way bigger support than Hibs anyway and we probably draw more fans from their supposed stronghold areas than they do from ours.

Being a Toonie and having my opinion from afar:) I`ve got the impression over the years that the bulk of our support outside Edinburgh comes from Midlothian, the closer part of West Lothian to Edinburgh, a good amount from Fife and we pull good numbers from the Dark Side of the toon even though the Hobos will be slightly in the majority which you`d think anyway.

In Edinburgh we`re there , we`re there, we`re every feckin where.:)

and hundreds who attend from a good bit further West...... ;) from a cohort numbering in the thousands i guess.

Only the very best born on that date :tongue:

OI!...brain damage..you were born in 1988..why do I know? cos I'm yer F***** Dad

i have lived all over in edinburgh,and iam not from leith,but its a hell of a lot better than bonnyrigg. (even with the hobos)at least its anonymous.(i.e you make one mistake and everyone remembers it for the rest of time) i used to stay in bonnyrigg and every time i go back its the same **** just a different day. beastie bob still hangs round the centre,there is still a brawl every friday in the street,i see the same people every time i drive through,has claim to some of the worst ****bags i have ever met(to be fair alot are from roswell). the only pub i remember that was hearts friendly was the royal oak,god knows if its still there havent even checked. its full of plastic hardmen and drug dealers who would not dare venture into the city incase there found out! i even went out with a girl from there that had never been into edinburgh before,her whole family life included going to the market every thursday and maybe going to dalkeith on a saturday if she was lucky.i got beat up for walking home the wrong way once,no provocation but the fattie his mates and his dad? i even witnessed a lassie getting batterd in the street with a bloody baby in her arms(outside the old pias),you woulnt even see that in wester hailes and keeping on topic its so old firm friendly its ridiculuos. its may be seen as my opinion and i see it as fact from my own experiences.

I'm surprised by the amount of Jambos in West Lothian. Dedridge/East Calder and Deans appear to be where its at from what i've seen.

After moving through from Edinburgh 4 years ago I though I was moving to Glasgow ffs.:eek:

I'd be interested to know how many of Hearts season ticket holders are from West Lothian, I reckon it would be quite a big number.

i have lived all over in edinburgh,and iam not from leith,but its a hell of a lot better than bonnyrigg. (even with the hobos)at least its anonymous.(i.e you make one mistake and everyone remembers it for the rest of time) i used to stay in bonnyrigg and every time i go back its the same **** just a different day. beastie bob still hangs round the centre,there is still a brawl every friday in the street,i see the same people every time i drive through,has claim to some of the worst ****bags i have ever met(to be fair alot are from roswell). the only pub i remember that was hearts friendly was the royal oak,god knows if its still there havent even checked. its full of plastic hardmen and drug dealers who would not dare venture into the city incase there found out! i even went out with a girl from there that had never been into edinburgh before,her whole family life included going to the market every thursday and maybe going to dalkeith on a saturday if she was lucky.i got beat up for walking home the wrong way once,no provocation but the fattie his mates and his dad? i even witnessed a lassie getting batterd in the street with a bloody baby in her arms(outside the old pias),you woulnt even see that in wester hailes and keeping on topic its so old firm friendly its ridiculuos. its may be seen as my opinion and i see it as fact from my own experiences.

:laugh:

I know. Gary Busey shouldn't have mentioned you until you had posted on the thread beastie. ;)

:o

:laugh:

Archived