Alfie Conn Snr - Some Very Sad News

magicTs

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply
jambo walesy

Far too young to have seen Conn but like all Hearts fans have grown up hearing his name.

The last of the trio to go and infact the last of the 4 players in the South Morrocco song!

For It's A Home For Famous Heroes,

Whos Stories Have Been Told,

Of Alfie Conn and Jimmy Wardhaugh,

John Cummings and Willie Bauld.

R.I.P

Midfield Terrier

Just chatting to my dad about his memories of Alfie Conn and the Terrible Trio and how they worked as a unit, i.e. Willie Bauld on the wing back heeling it 20 yards for Conn to run onto and smash it into the net. Or Conn against Falkirk running in to header the ball and dummying the header for 'the best goal Conn never scored' as my dad's dad put it.

Also whenever Hearts had a corner Conn would wait outside the box for any loose balls and so it came his way he could use his 'cannonball' shot.

He also scored a goal in the 1950 derby 2 -1 win at Easter Road in front of a 65,000 crowd, a Hibs defender was trying to shield the ball and Conn stuck just stuck his foot round his leg and scored!

JT's & Irons

RIP Alfie. Condolences to the family. True legend in a world whee the word is often applied to journeymen.

Conn, Bauld and Wardaugh - I doubt we will ever see their likes again. Never saw them play but my old man used to go on about them when I was a kid.

RIP Alfie.

RIP Alfie...........once again I am one of those who never got the chance to see him play, but one of the greatest to pull on the maroon according to my dad.

as others have said in numurous posts today im to young(unfortunately)to have seen alfie in the maroon,but as with anyone in the hearts family when there gone im truely saddened,but even more so tonight.

alfie your everything that made me the hearts fan i am today!!!

be it the stories from my dad and even my grandad,to reading h.m.f.c books, and researching our great clubs history.

young boys in edinburgh will forever be told of your exploits carried on from generation to generation and many will aspire to be just like you and thats testament in itself.

the one comfort many will take from this is at last the terrible trio are now reunited and will no doubt be first picks in gods XI.

and to your family...thanks for giving us a man who will always be remembered by hearts fans across the world today and forever.

andrew.

R.I.P ALFIE CONN

red-rose-bud-on-stem.jpg

Chad Sexington

If any of our over paid "stars" have a sense of what out our club is all about, they should look look at the career of our dear departed Alfie Conn.

They should go to Easter Road on Sunday and win the match in his memory.

That is all.

Alfie%20Conn%20Snr.jpg

Chad Sexington
Agree with the sentiment but doubt it. As if half of em give a monkeys about history and tradition.

I hope you're wrong mate.

If they don't care they shouldn't go near that sacred maroon jersey.

A true club legend who knew what the club was all about in the halcyon days and sadly before my time too but will be a name never forgotton amongst the Gorgie Faithful.

Rest In Peace amongst the other greats

JT's & Irons

Watching the game last weekend just made me think of the derbies when Robbo, McKay JC, Levein et al were playin for us and Weir, Jackson, Wright, Sneddon were playin for them. You could tell just lookin at them that they understood what it meant to us. Saturday none of em looked any more bothered than they normally do. Ken we should have won but it weren't much of a derby and I don't think it's because they're "Foreigners" I just think footballers in the noughties are out of touch with the fans.

Captain Scarlett

dont know the last time oor alfie saw hearts play but i can guess he would be dismayed at the current level of footballer playing in maroon i never had the pleasure of seeing the man in the flesh but we all know he was one of our finest and i agree lets do it for alfie:107years::107years::107years:

Captain Scarlett
If Even 5 out of the match squad know who he is, or make the effort to find out I would be amazed

ditto:107years:

I'm sure the Terrible Trio will be having a great laugh up there all together! My Grandad used to tell me stories about them, I would have loved to have seen them play!

RIP

I sometimes wish I'd been born 30 years earlier so that I could have seen the Hearts teams of the 50s.

The loss of Conn should be borne in mind in the silence at Easter Road this weekend

Sad news

What hasn't been printed about the Conn family sadly is that in addition to Dad both his boys Young Alfie and his brother Bobby played for Hearts (young Alfie signed for us TWICE)

Although I digress your above comment really got me thinking about the difference from then to now as my grandad started taking me in the late 50's.

1. Crowds appeared to be huge and I always entered the ground under a huge "Tynecastle Park" sign on the Gorgie Road. (whatever happened to that sign?)

2. Standing was obligatory and if you sat down because you didn't have elbow room on a Bar (especially around half time) you inevitably sat in a yellow stream meandering to the bottom of the terraces.

3. Whatever happened to the macaroon bar sellers?

4. Pies tasted much better ..... and were always available.

5. Loved "changing ends" at half time. My grandad always met his pals "behind the goals".

6. We always seemed to score.

Memories, memories

Don't know if anyone else has heard this but I have just been told that the last of our famous Terrible Trio passed away this morning after a short illness.

Very best wishes to his family at this time.

In light of this news and the death of Willie Clark, the oldest living Hibee at the age of 90 I hope the clubs get together and that a fitting tribute is made on Sunday. Surely both Hearts and Hibs supporters could join together in remembering these two men for a minute and showing that we are above the nonsense of last Saturday.

Legend : http://www.londonhearts.com/scores/players/connsnralfie.html

Imagine living all those years and never seeing your team lift the Scottish cup. Shame.

very sad news, my Grandads always talked about the trio and how they would walk into any team nowadays... legends

rest in peace

Although I did not know the man or indeed never met him or saw him play, his passing is akin to losing a close family member. Alfie, Jimmy and Willie were so part of my late Faithers story telling that you felt you knew them all. God bless and RIP.

I loved the parts in the press today about the Terrible Trios almost telepathic understanding of each other. OK the Famous Five were good but the concept of a tight front three is more plausible. And I don't mean this as a slight on Lawrie Reilly and his mates.

First we lose my faithers hero Cumming then we lose my Uncles hero Alfie.Its been a bad few weeks when you add in Urquhart and Miller RIP all of you legends and IF there is a silence on Sunday lets do it properly as it should be and remmember what we too have lost in the last few weeks

Miller Jambo 60
First we lose my faithers hero Cumming then we lose my Uncles hero Alfie.Its been a bad few weeks when you add in Urquhart and Miller RIP all of you legends and IF there is a silence on Sunday lets do it properly as it should be and remmember what we too have lost in the last few weeks

Dont worry guys HEARTS will live for ever,

Alfie never met me but i knew him.

In my jambo dreams.

Gorgie man .

Dougstar.

He was well before my time but it is a pity that the days of real legends playing for the club have long gone now. Hardly any players stay at clubs long enough now to develop enough affection from the fans towards them.

I'd love to have been around back then to see what football was like. No messageboards; the only info you'd get would be from the papers and from fellow fans. None of this nonsense hatred between fans of different clubs and all this "aids" etc abuse.

Seems like it would have been a far more enjoyable environment for football. Anyway, that's long gone now and I guess you've just got to enjoy the football from your own time and one day I'll hopefully look back on these years with the same fondness that people have for the years of Conn etc.

RIP Alfie Conn

R.I.P.

Legend, and a good Panner. He was friends with my grandad in their younger days.

loveofthegame

Incredibly sad news. Feels like we're losing greats on a weekly basis at the moment. Players that most of us probably didn't see in the flesh but have grown up knowing their names- what an honour. RIP Alfie Conn.

I was brought up on hearing fantastic stories about Conn, Bauld and Wardhaugh!!!!

They were greeat stories and I heard them so many times that I actually think I saw them play!

Their names will live forever as my own 2 boys are now hearing the stories I heard along with my own stories of Robbo, Mackay and many others.

Alfie Conn RIP. My dad will be delighted to see you once again!

Craig Herbertson

Condolences to all his family and friends. Thanks to the older Jambos for sharing their memories of the legend. I only had my Auntie's scrap book and half the pictures seemed to be the terrible trio. Sad day.

Archived