Alfie Conn Snr - Some Very Sad News

magicTs

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply
That's some team Hearts is assembling up there in heaven. RIP.

Indeed it is.

Conn, Bauld. Wardhaugh and John Cumming: Four of the very best ever.

RIP Alfie

Miller Jambo 60
Very sad news.

The trio are together again.

RIP

Will have a wee private thought at the game tonight.

RIP .

Yet another of that great era passes.

Condolences to the family at this sad time.

The Duff family

Mods: Please put a sticky on this thread. A Gentleman deserves it.

Can't believe it...another Hearts great gone. We've definately had more than our share of grief recently. I hope the lads do Alfie and the rest proud tonight...and on sunday. We should definately have a minutes silence at our next home game.

RIP Alfie...say hi to Willie and Jimmy...oh, and The Iron Man.

They'll certainly be winning that league up there!

Lynn

Son Of Anarchy

Gutted. Too many greats have passed away recently. RIP Alfie. The terrible trio are reunited once again. This is really getting to me know.

I am always sad when a former Hearts great passes away, but my formative years were spent listening to my Dad reeling off the names of the players in the great Hearts teams of the 1950s. I never saw them play, but they are surely why I support this great team.

Conn, Bauld and Wardhaugh - you cannot say one without the other two. And now the last has gone. We will never see their like again.

In the ranks of goalscorers, Alfie Conn lies 6th, Jimmy Wardhaugh 2nd equal and Willie Bauld 1st. They scored an astonishing 713 goals among them - and they all played at the same time.

I am truly saddened by this news and don't mind to admit that I am wiping away a tear or two as I type this.

RIP

This sums up everything i wanted to say perfectly

Great post mate RIP ALFIE A TRUE LEGEND

just wanted to add my respects to this thread. I was far too young to have seen him play, but like others have said, i was familiar with the man from a very young age. If any of Alfies family are reading this, can i just say to them that Alfie Conn, Jimmy Wardhaugh and Willie Bauld will forever live on in the hearts of the Tynecastle masses. RIP.

Sad news.

Hope the team can give a fitting tribute by winning tonight. How we could do with the TT's goalscoring exploits now!

:(

Just heard his death mentioned on the sports bulletin on bbc radio 5 live. Nice to hear the man being recognised uk wide.

R.I.P Alfie, being one of the blessed who watched you and your colleagues from the start to the finish of your careers I want to thank you for the pleasures you provided to me and particularly my Dad who lived and died Hearts daft. You boys provided him with the greatest days in his Hearts life, he saw many of the legends but you guys provided the trophies. Your booming shot was something to see. Only the well off had season tickets in your day, but in this modern world when I join you I will be getting mine right away.

God bless and as Bob Hope would say thanks for the memories. :flag2:

DuffJimmy1875

R.I.P and thoughts to his family.

I doubt any player from current Hearts or Hibs squads will be remembered with quite the respect and reverence that the likes of Alfie Conn will be by Scottish football fans from all sides.

Looking at the stats, he truly was a Jambo legend, and I hope in the wake of the deaths of the past few days that both our clubs and all supporters get it right on Sunday.

Like many others I was brought up listening to stories about that magnificent team from the fifties and especially the terrible trio.

Rest in peace Alfie.

R.I.P.Alfie

I was very fortunate to see Alfie many times throughout his career. He was a really tough tackler and had a cannonball shot . I have strong memories of his goal in March, 1956 when we beat Rangers 4-0 in the cup.

BP

Brought up on the stories of Conn, Bauld and Wardaugh ... I can remember listening to the adults stories when I was about 6 or 7 yrs old.

Every Saturday morning, we had an Insurance salesman come round... he was a bluenose, but I can still remember vividly, as I sat beside the coal fire listening to the great stories of the Terrible Trio, said salesman just nodding in agreement about that great Hearts team.... RIP Alfie Conn

R.I.P Alfie..

I am too young to remember him, have read enough though to class him as a true legend..

Very Sad..

the loss of any ex-hearts man is a sad event but when it's one of the true legends, an almost mythical name for the younger generation, it's even more so.... without placing more emphasis on the life and death of one man over anyone else.

even those of us who weren't blessed to see him in action, we will remember.

Archived