Alfie Conn Snr - Some Very Sad News

magicTs

Much respect for a true Hearts legend. Our tribute should take place at his spiritual home, Tynecastle Park. Not at Fester Road, or anywhere else, imo.

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Terrible Trio reunited upstairs.

I was brought up hearing stories of the Terrible Trio from my dad, old Auntie Christine, Uncle Gus. I might not have been around when they were terrorising defences, but I recognise a legend when I hear about one.

RIP Alfie.

Don't know if anyone else has heard this but I have just been told that the last of our famous Terrible Trio passed away this morning after a short illness.

Very best wishes to his family at this time.

In light of this news and the death of Willie Clark, the oldest living Hibee at the age of 90 I hope the clubs get together and that a fitting tribute is made on Sunday. Surely both Hearts and Hibs supporters could join together in remembering these two men for a minute and showing that we are above the nonsense of last Saturday.

Legend : http://www.londonhearts.com/scores/players/connsnralfie.html

I am sure all but the brainless would echo your hope. Indeed I would like to think our supporters would have enough pride and self-respect not to disrupt any minute's silence.

Both Willie Clark and Alfie came from Prestonpans and so it is co-incidental that they should pass away within days of each other. I did not see Clark play but did see Alfie during our glory years and his son Alfie (Jun) later. Another son Bobby signed for us too but did not make it to the top.

Condolences to the family.

chester copperpot

Terrible news.

Gods 11 will be a stronger team up in heaven now.

Although not lucky to witness his talents, many stories been told to me of how good this guy was.

At a time where too many tributes are payed to too many ex players, this is one legend that deserves the status.

Would love for some of the older guys to tell some magic stories about following the terrible trio.

R.I.P thoughts are with the family at this time.

to echo some others on this thread, that is some team heaven has got now.

a very sad day indeed a truly great player who thrilled not just Hearts fans but fans of all clubs that were privileged to see him.

rest in peace

I sometimes wish I'd been born 30 years earlier so that I could have seen the Hearts teams of the 50s.

The loss of Conn should be borne in mind in the silence at Easter Road this weekend

Sad news

I was fortunate enough to have seen the Hearts Teams of the 50,s play, on several occasions and if we wish to speak of legends then you have to look no further than any member 0f the 56 team that won the cup. They are and Will always be in the eyes of we who were fortunate enough to see them play truly deserving of the title LEGENDS. R I P Alfie. From all the Canadian Jambos

Eldar Hadzimehmedovic

Very sad. John Cumming and now Alfie Conn. The greatest period in our history seems longer ago than ever today. It will never be forgotten though. RIP Alfie.

Don't know if anyone else has heard this but I have just been told that the last of our famous Terrible Trio passed away this morning after a short illness.

Very best wishes to his family at this time.

In light of this news and the death of Willie Clark, the oldest living Hibee at the age of 90 I hope the clubs get together and that a fitting tribute is made on Sunday. Surely both Hearts and Hibs supporters could join together in remembering these two men for a minute and showing that we are above the nonsense of last Saturday.

Legend : http://www.londonhearts.com/scores/players/connsnralfie.html

RIP, oh how much we could do with you now.

Chad Sexington

The word legend gets thrown around far too easily these days.

Alfie Conn was the real deal.

RIP.

Prince Buaben

RIP Alfie Conn

From the TT Conn seemed not to be as recognised(dunno if thats the right word) as Bauld or Waurdhaugh.

Goal scoring record was outstanding

Deeply saddened by the news,RIP Alfie a true legend,deepest condolences to the whole family

Guest Freewheelin' Jambo

'Tis evening on the moorland free,

The starlit wave is still:

Home is the sailor from the sea,

The hunter from the hill.

Alfie Conn - The Heart of the Terrible Trio

Remember.

Whitecapjambo

Extremely sad to hear.

Again, like many others I am too young to have ever seen him play but I'm sure he was a huge part of why my Grandad supported Hearts, which in turn led to my Dad and myself supporting them.

RIP Alfie

RIP Alfie Conn

The word "legend" is bandied about all too often but a stat of more than a goal every second game speaks for itself. A Hearts legend, by anyone?s standards.

Goodbye Alfie. Thank you for many wonderful memories.

Condolences to all his family and friends.

bilston angel

Sad to hear the passing of the remaining member of the Terrible Trio, he was the perfect foil for the King and Twinkletoes with his tackling and industry, and had a thunderous shot and could play the passing game as well.

They were telepathic together and provide us with such great memories of that evocative magical era that they played in. Its hard to put into words for the younger supporters who never saw them play, however I'll not attempt to and leave it at that.

RIP Alfie Conn. Never saw you play but my Dad never shuts about you and the other lads from the 50`s.Must have been great times to watch the team.

Jeez Iam bloody greetin here.

132goals1958

His mother stayed about a hundred yards from me in P/Pans. As an awe struck youngster I always looked to catch a glimpse of him when he was visiting

. The photograph of him on London Hearts, and the Hearts site was one of an individual set of the 1956 team, issued by either the pink news or green dispatch. Remember queuing at Laidlaw, s newsagent on the High Street and as a fellow panner his photo had a wee bit special significance, pinned above the bed along with my Hearts pennants..

When he won his only cap against Austria scoring in the process, I am sure we played the Hibs in an East of Scotland Shield a few days later. There was a minor collision between him and Tommy Younger, who had been his Scotland colleague. Whatever happened they both grinned at each other shook hands and got on with the game. Can?t explain how such minor incidents stick in the mind, apart from being more receptive in my formative years.

If I could draw a parallel, in terms of his explosive shooting from distance, then probably Drew Busby springs to mind

. He complimented the King and Twinkletoes by his non stop industry and for added measure weighed in as a prolific goalscorer.

Sadly only four of the 1956 cup winning team survives but Alfie, and the others that are no longer with us will certainly not be forgotten.

Archived