Only An Excuse Tonight.

Everybody loves Baz

Have to admit laughing at the Sean Batty (STV Weatherman/boy) impression though, that was pretty funny. That aside, waste of the license money.

AYRSHIRE JAMBO
Do you think he'll do a comedy sketch on how the bile-ridden Huns trashed Manchester, attacked the police and generally upset all the locals? No, didn't think so....:xmasunsure:
Oops!

Brian Whittaker's Tache

a MirthFest it wasn't

Waste of HDD space on my V+ box

Cancel this pesh now BBC

Not one titter.

Not one.

Terrible show, but at least we know what to expect every year.........

I doubt very much it will be on next year, last year was woeful too.

Total garbage with the usual references to old firm politics. Sons of William?!!! Using this crap as a vehicle for humour just encourages the neanderthals that it is somehow acceptable.

Tired, dated and should have been binned years ago.

Seymour M Hersh

The trouble with the GBC is they attempt to force things into becoming institutions no matter how poor the quality as opposed to allowing good quality programmes to become institutions on merit. You only have to look at the horrendous River City to see it in action. When was the last time the GBC or GTV produced anything that was kvalitee?

chester copperpot

The way I reacted to the jokes was the same reaction I had when my doctor told me I'd caught scabies.

The way I reacted to the jokes was the same reaction I had when my doctor told me I'd caught scabies.

You went home and slapped your sister..??:xmasgrin:

I seem to recall an almost identical thread at the same time last year.

Time to bin this garbage.

It was scabies Andy, it was rabies.

You really need to get those ears syringed.

(hope I'm not breaching any doctor/patient confidentiality btw) :)

Anyone got a link so I can watch thisn please?

I missed it and want to see it

It is weegie based pash thI'm surprised they do Csaba as he has no connection to the OF

Alex Mcliesh was a manager for 7 years before he became Rangers manager.

Never once impersonated until guess what he joined Rangers.

I utterly despise everything about that city

Anyone got a link so I can watch thisn please?

I missed it and want to see it

It is weegie based pash thI'm surprised they do Csaba as he has no connection to the OF

Alex Mcliesh was a manager for 7 years before he became Rangers manager.

Never once impersonated until guess what he joined Rangers.

I utterly despise everything about that city

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00g9pnq/b00g9pln/Only_an_Excuse_2007/

Drew Busby !
I doubt very much it will be on next year, last year was woeful too.

Sorry mate. Just stepped out of the Tardis after a quick trip to December 31st 2037. BBC Scotland TV schedule was Only An Excuse, Eddi Reader, Jackie Bird...

Emigrate now while theres still time.

chester copperpot
It was scabies Andy, it was rabies.

You really need to get those ears syringed.

(hope I'm not breaching any doctor/patient confidentiality btw) :)

I was literally foaming at the gash. :xmasgrin:

Just watched it

A couple of funny bits - the sean Batty was genius!

typical weegie crap tho

jack D and coke

Not that funny. Only bit that made me laugh was the boy who reads the emails out on sportscene's eyes.

He's ran out of ideas.

Whoever told Watson he's an impressionist needs a boot up the jacksy, Haven't seen it yet but it's sure to be as embarrassing as every other year, lets see now.....Dennis Law, Sir Fergie, Frankie boy, the usual "biggot brothers" garbage......excuse me while i try to stifle a yawn!!

Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC

Just started watching it and got to about 10 minutes before I turned it off.

Total bollox.

maroonlegions

It was quite poor but i did manage a giggle at Chick Young s reporting of the Rangers fans rioting at Manchester and one of them asking him for a ticket.:xmasgrin:

thing is, there is some comedy gold material to be had up here if they could just get away from the whole Chick Young/Murray/Macavennie old-hat nonsense and this obsession with proddy/tim weegie dullness

Why not rip that bloke who does the results on Saturday (Currie?), how does Vipond get away with it? Why no Csaba impression (let's face it, he's there to be had), why no John Leslie/Proclaimers gags? No Gordon Smith?? Refs in Ku Klux Klan hats? C'mon....it's easy!!

Wasted opportunity, as ever.

thing is, there is some comedy gold material to be had up here if they could just get away from the whole Chick Young/Murray/Macavennie old-hat nonsense and this obsession with proddy/tim weegie dullness

Why not rip that bloke who does the results on Saturday (Currie?), how does Vipond get away with it? Why no Csaba impression (let's face it, he's there to be had), why no John Leslie/Proclaimers gags? No Gordon Smith?? Refs in Ku Klux Klan hats? C'mon....it's easy!!

Wasted opportunity, as ever.

C'mon, easy? Your absolutely right but sadly this country is too obsessed with weegieness and the "biggot brothers" The writers and performers would be stuck without it cos they don't have the intelligence or know-how to write about anything else!

C'mon, easy? Your absolutely right but sadly this country is too obsessed with weegieness and the "biggot brothers" The writers and performers would be stuck without it cos they don't have the intelligence or know-how to write about anything else!

THe only thing that makes me laugh about that show is that whenever they introduce a "new" character they have to say WHO they are impersonating. If he really is that bad at impersonations is it any wonder that he is still doing Frank MacAvenie 10 years after I forgot how to spell his name?

As for the long Scotland Today sketch - it just seemed like BBC "journos" trying to take the pesh out of STV "journos". Pile of pap.

rangers, celtic, rangers, man utd, frankie, dennis law, celtic, rangers, celtic, tangoman, celtic, frankie, archie, rangers, etc

Jings, thats spookily accurate :xmasgrin:

A Boy Named Crow

I think I post this every year, but the show should have been canned after 1993. That's when Tony Roper stopped doing it. Until then it was a genuine parody of Scottish football, everybody took pelters. Jonathan Watson isn't up to it, but the tin pot BBC Scotland can't see past him. I genuinely forgot it was on this year - I don't think I'll waste iplayer's time though...

Rupert Pupkin

Yet you all watched it.That program hasn't been funny since it was on the radiogram!!!

when was the last time denis law or frank mcavennie was actually on tv with any regularity? why are they still on every single year? it needs a complete revamp, there's so much to mock about the football scene in our country and we get pesh about scotland today and their weather forecast???? a total joke, the only time i got close to laughing was when sebo came on and then i came to my senses again.

remember back in the day when alf garnett had the country in stitches wi his c o o n and pa ki jokes? Seems so out of date now tho eh? The idea back then was that racism was ok to laugh at, as long as that was as far as it went. Seems the good old glasgow bbc have the same take on sectarianism these days. Pity it doesnt guite work, when the target audience are a bunch of inbred bigots. Chick young mentioning 'tattie howkers'....oh how we laughed....then stabbed a catholic. It was just a laugh when we stabbed him tho....

Not many laughs for me over the 30 mins - Sean Batty sketch, Chick Young in Manchester, and for me the funniest bit was actually not football related.

It was the chef master class sketch and the Ronnie Brown lookalike saying the flour he used was the flour of Scotland. That was good.

Sketch about Hearts was crap, and the interview between Chick Young and John Reid was a typical Old Firm, parochial, of no relevance to anyone else in Scotland - although I wish John Reid had used the hammer on Chick's coupon!

3 out of 10.

inside right

Hearts sketch was funny and so were quite a few others everyone nedds to lighten up. This is a supposed to be a mickey take program after all. Have a laugh when you can.

If not, join in applauding the players coming on to the park, we DO all enjoy that!

inside right, its not that people are having a humour failure, the programme just isn't funny anymore

its stuck in the past, when there is so much in football today that is genuinely funny, even without a so called comedian being any good...

so many parodies that i can't believe how many tricks JW is actually missig

its a shame, cos i did find it funny once upon a time.... probably about 10 years ago

I think I post this every year, but the show should have been canned after 1993. That's when Tony Roper stopped doing it. Until then it was a genuine parody of Scottish football, everybody took pelters. Jonathan Watson isn't up to it, but the tin pot BBC Scotland can't see past him. I genuinely forgot it was on this year - I don't think I'll waste iplayer's time though...

Spot on. Tony Roper was excellent in it and the programme was genuiunely hilarious. Watson is embarassingly not funny and I have been deliberately avoiding the show for the last 10 years. I even turned the sound off for his short skits on Tam Cowan's programme. This must be the last airing for this programme - please. Bring back repeats of Scotch & Wry for Hogmanay, or if they must show Watson, then repeats of City Lights...

Archived