Satchmo

ToadKiller Dog

ToadKiller Dog

Watching the legend Louis Armstrong night on bbc 4 ,what a performer ,

One of the Artists on the list ,i wish i could have seen live ,maybe in a smoke filled speak easy in prohibition era USA.

Sunny side of the street a favorite of mine on the ipod every saturday on the train to tynie. .

Zaababbaaa doooo.

Watching the legend Louis Armstrong night on bbc 4 ,what a performer ,

One of the Artists on the list ,i wish i could have seen live ,maybe in a smoke filled speak easy in prohibition era USA.

Sunny side of the street a favorite of mine on the ipod every saturday on the train to tynie. .

Zaababbaaa doooo.

I like his really early (Hot Five) stuff and some of the later recordings, but not too keen on the tracks he sings on. It's not that he sings badly, but I just think it was a slippery slope towards cabaret (and

"Cabaret"!) and duetting with Barbara Streisland. Which is not a good thing...

Having said that, I'm not too keen on jazz singing, or jazz with singing, at the best of times: much prefer the instruments doing the talking.

Unfortunately, my cr@ppy digi-box doesn't often receive BBC4 very well so I've not been able to watch any of it.

he did some really good stuff with ella fitzgerald, legends both!

in fact i have an old cassette somewhere, leading ladies of jazz i think its called, where she does a really funny impression of him during a song.

i love satchmo, and i have to agree, he's someone who it would have been great to have seen back in the day

My grandad (so family legend goes) played pipes with Satchmo, near the

end of the war, played with the Black Watch, Louis was on the bill at a

concert party for Scottish and American troops, and suggested that he

and my grandfather should do a duet as a finale.Would love to know if

there was any truth in it. Needless to say ive always been a big fan.

south morocco

What a great nights veiwing,i love the way he smiles when he sings ,his band were'nt bad either were they! top class

Archived