Rangers fans to protest at BBC HQ

redm

Thanks for the link Therapist. Good to see that we hope to bring an end to this outdated piece of institutionalised religious discrimination! :xmastongue:

On the face of it it may look discriminatory, but it was actually enacted on humanitarian grounds so that catholics wouldn't be eaten up by guilt when faced with balancing the demands of the Bishop of Rome against the demands of the British people.

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On the face of it it may look discriminatory, but it was actually enacted on humanitarian grounds so that catholics wouldn't be eaten up by guilt when faced with balancing the demands of the Bishop of Rome against the demands of the British people.

:xmasgrin: Not only may it look discriminatory "on the face of it", it is discriminatory, no matter what revisionist bent you may place on its origins. And, as I'm sure you will agree, there is no place for religious discrimination in modern society.

:xmasgrin: Not only may it look discriminatory "on the face of it", it is discriminatory, no matter what revisionist bent you may place on its origins. And, as I'm sure you will agree, there is no place for religious discrimination in modern society.

The idea that this law should be repealed because it is unfair and discriminatory seems bizzare.

It seems impossible to think of a system more intrinsically unfair and discriminatory than having a hereditary head of state. Any further requirements ahead of having the right parents and no elder brothers are trivial in comparison.

The strongest rationale for the law is that the English Monarch is also the head of the national Church. As it is, in part, a religous post there is clearly a place for religious discrimination but that would suggest that if Parliament want to modernise it they should broaden it to include Sikhs, Jews, Muslims and Quakers.

The idea that this law should be repealed because it is unfair and discriminatory seems bizzare.

It seems impossible to think of a system more intrinsically unfair and discriminatory than having a hereditary head of state. Any further requirements ahead of having the right parents and no elder brothers are trivial in comparison.

The strongest rationale for the law is that the English Monarch is also the head of the national Church. As it is, in part, a religous post there is clearly a place for religious discrimination but that would suggest that if Parliament want to modernise it they should broaden it to include Sikhs, Jews, Muslims and Quakers.

Being a Republican, I agree with you. However we live in a monarchy. Whatever the system of government, there's no place for religious discrimination, and I say that as someone who is not a follower of any established religion. I would assume that any modernising of the Act would broaden it by just doing away with mention of any specific religion (there are of course far more than those you mention) and leaving it up to the Church of England whether or not to recognise the monarch as their head or not.

Being a Republican, I agree with you. However we live in a monarchy. Whatever the system of government, there's no place for religious discrimination, and I say that as someone who is not a follower of any established religion. I would assume that any modernising of the Act would broaden it by just doing away with mention of any specific religion (there are of course far more than those you mention) and leaving it up to the Church of England whether or not to recognise the monarch as their head or not.

It would still amount to an exercise in turd polishing.

Vanguard: a group of people who lead the development of new ideas, or a leading position in the development of something:

Oh the irony. What a name for a collection of people whose sole ideology is so ensconced in history, and another countries history at that.

Vanguard? Vaginas more like.

Now I must ake issue with you there, Thor.

A *** is a useful thing.

With apologies to Michael Palin

Celtic Obsessed Unionist 1: "I hate Celtic, Their fans are Horrible"

COU2: "I hate Celtic too, Their fans are Horrible and some of them are IRA sympathisers"

COU3: "I hate Celtic even more, Most of Their fans are Horrible IRA sympathisers who sing songs about murdering innocent people"

COU4: "I really, really, hate Celtic, Their fans are Horrible terrorists who sing songs about murdering British people and control the media"

COU1: "Of course when I said I hate Celtic what I really meant was I really, relly despise them, they're all brutal murderers who laugh when British soldiers die in Iraq and they've been known to turn a blind eye to Child abuse"

COU2: "Pah! You're practically a ***********, I really, really loath detest Celtic They're all Paedophile rapists with blood on their hands and they'll happily **** in your airing cupboard given half a chance they should all sod off back to Ireland"

COU3: "Well I'm certainly no ***********, I hate everything about them, I detest the way they all raise funds for Al Quaeda, The way they're all scrounging on the dole, The way they drown protestant babies in guiness, The way they control everything from behind the scenes, the way they get all the best jobs, and the way they turned my sister into a newt"

COU4: That's nothing, I think that Celtic were responsible for the Credit Crunch (The cost of their incapicity benefit), AIDS(Celtic Boys club), The rise of Hitler (Remember the pope is a geman Catholic as well), Dale Winton's career(An obvious attempt to discredit the colour Orange), The assasination of JFK (He took a dive, Typical Vhictim mhentality), The Asian Tsunami (John Hartson jumped in the sea just off Hawaii) and the assasination of Archduke Franz-Ferdinand (A convoluted plan to rob Hearts of the title, a plan which the SFA were probably in on)

Other poster: I don't care for Celtic but that's just being ridiculous

COU1: See what I mean! You tell that to the politically Correct Brigade and they just don't believe you

COU2: Indeed, theres a lot of undercover Tims on this thread

COU3: Yeah, If you like Celtic so much why don't you just marry them

mod: Celtic Obsessed Unionist 4 has now been suspended and this thread is closed

:laugh:

Brilliant TC....

I love the language they used in that statement...it's all about sustained attacks, uniting, standing up to fight, mobilising, blah blah...until you get to the end and they're all for peaceful protests against injustices. You'd think they were planning a storming of the Bastille.... :biggrin:

We shouldn't mock, they've probably been working on it for weeks....

There is on word for them - 'Fascists'.

IMO these days there seems to be some strange love-in with anything to do with Celtic (This board included) and the Celtic fans/club can do no wrong, yet on the other hand Rangers are constantley slated on this board. I dont buy in to all this pish about us being "cousins" of Rangers but im amazed that Hearts fans can prefer Celtic over Rangers taken everything into account about the 2 clubs and their beliefs!!

Until fairly recently ie into the nineteen sixties, there was overt discrimination against Catholics within many aspects of Scottish society. Minorities who are abused have a tendency to react and football was one area where that reaction could be given vent.

I am not RC but I have distanced myself from those, including erstwhile friends, who have displayed bigoted tendancies towards Catholics and others. I will stand up against anyone who drags Heart of Midlothian FC into the gutter of bigotry.

Decent Hearts fans know where the real blame lies in Scottish football and that place is Govan.

COU2: "I hate Celtic too, Their fans are Horrible and some of them are IRA sympathisers"

COU3: "I hate Celtic even more, Most of Their fans are Horrible IRA sympathisers who sing songs about murdering innocent people"

COU4: "I really, really, hate Celtic, Their fans are Horrible terrorists who sing songs about murdering British people and control the media"

COU1: "Of course when I said I hate Celtic what I really meant was I really, relly despise them, they're all brutal murderers who laugh when British soldiers die in Iraq and they've been known to turn a blind eye to Child abuse"

COU2: "Pah! You're practically a ***********, I really, really loath detest Celtic They're all Paedophile rapists with blood on their hands and they'll happily **** in your airing cupboard given half a chance they should all sod off back to Ireland"

COU3: "Well I'm certainly no ***********, I hate everything about them, I detest the way they all raise funds for Al Quaeda, The way they're all scrounging on the dole, The way they drown protestant babies in guiness, The way they control everything from behind the scenes, the way they get all the best jobs, and the way they turned my sister into a newt"

COU4: That's nothing, I think that Celtic were responsible for the Credit Crunch (The cost of their incapicity benefit), AIDS(Celtic Boys club), The rise of Hitler (Remember the pope is a geman Catholic as well), Dale Winton's career(An obvious attempt to discredit the colour Orange), The assasination of JFK (He took a dive, Typical Vhictim mhentality), The Asian Tsunami (John Hartson jumped in the sea just off Hawaii) and the assasination of Archduke Franz-Ferdinand (A convoluted plan to rob Hearts of the title, a plan which the SFA were probably in on)

COU1: See what I mean! You tell that to the politically Correct Brigade and they just don't believe you

mod: Celtic Obsessed Unionist 4 has now been suspended and this thread is closed

:xmasgrin: Class mate!!

Miller Jambo 60
Let's hope the police take their dogs along.

Let's also hope they take some hungry lions as well.

Ho Ho Huns are a joke.

Miller Jambo 60
I think anyone has to be pretty naive not to think Celtic are BBC's Liverpool of the north. I do find it highly amusing seeing it come from Rangers though, perhaps the rest of the league could do a protest about the past few decades or so about the inherit Rangers/Celtic bias that plagues our football. C'est la vie. BBC Scotland are pish though. ;)

The BBC are a bunch of ssers end off

They hate vlad big time.

And BBC sue me.

Cant wait

GORGIE RULE

When you see some of the posters on here it's sometimes difficult to argue with that - we don't do ourselves any favours. And no matter how distasteful some of the pro terrorist stuff, etc the Celtic fans come out with, a lot of it isn't actually sectarian. I think that's why they always get away with it wit UEFA & the SFA - it's too difficult to prove whereas the songs or you hear from Rangers or Hearts fans are sometimes just blatantly anti catholic.

Total pish.

What songs do we sing that are blatantly anti catholic? Christ, you've got to hand it to the tims PR machine when they've got Hearts fans believing their not sectarian, unreal.

I take it singing "Dirty Orange Bassas" isn't sectarian?

I've no time for either of the OF but you really have to wonder how Celtic get away with it and are portrayed in the light they are. Hitler could have done with some of their PR.

Until fairly recently ie into the nineteen sixties, there was overt discrimination against Catholics within many aspects of Scottish society. Minorities who are abused have a tendency to react and football was one area where that reaction could be given vent.

I am not RC but I have distanced myself from those, including erstwhile friends, who have displayed bigoted tendancies towards Catholics and others. I will stand up against anyone who drags Heart of Midlothian FC into the gutter of bigotry.

Decent Hearts fans know where the real blame lies in Scottish football and that place is Govan.

Well I'm a decent Hearts fan and I believe the real blame lies as much at Parkhead as it does at Ibrox, if not more so.

Miller Jambo 60
So you've never been called a honkey:tongue:

A few times,like the guys in scotmid.

better than sommerfields they can go away

No shop in east Craigs. JOKE

Colonel Kurtz

abject nonsense

One of the main obstacles to Irish Integration into Scottish society was the Catholic church,who thought it would dilute their power.

One of the worst examples of religous discrimination in recent years was North lanarkshire Council who had seperate job application forms for catholics ,oddly enough they were coloured green,these were given total preference .

Celtic have been guilty over disgraceful religous discrimination in their treatment of Jock Stein and their currence stance towards"celtic minded" people.

King of the North
abject nonsense

One of the main obstacles to Irish Integration into Scottish society was the Catholic church,who thought it would dilute their power.

One of the worst examples of religous discrimination in recent years was North lanarkshire Council who had seperate job application forms for catholics ,oddly enough they were coloured green,these were given total preference .

Celtic have been guilty over disgraceful religous discrimination in their treatment of Jock Stein and their currence stance towards"celtic minded" people.

Are you sure that's true?

I'm prepared to believe that, potentially, but it sounds a bit like an urban myth to me... the kind of thing the plums from 'vanguard bears' might come up with tbh.

MacDonald Jardine

I'm prepared to believe that, potentially, but it sounds a bit like an urban myth to me... the kind of thing the plums from 'vanguard bears' might come up with tbh.

But even if it is it's only making up for previous discrimination eh?

Colonel Kurtz

Its true and Mcconnell was involved.

These things do not suit the concept of downtrodden Tims ,nor does the fact that the main time of voluntary Irish repatriation was during the war to avoid conscription.

Its true and Mcconnell was involved.

These things do not suit the concept of downtrodden Tims ,nor does the fact that the main time of voluntary Irish repatriation was during the war to avoid conscription.

And your evidence for this is?

It USED to be very much the case in Glasgow, but it cut both ways. There were companies that which were pretty much closed shop for both religions ie STV was once almost totally Catholic, whilst the Govan shipyards would not employ Catholics.

Absolute nonsense!! Celtic are by far the most vile club plying there trade in Scotland, in that i include their boys clubs too. This is a team which to all intents want to be an irish club you all saw how they acted on remeberance day. The only club in the whole of Britain who couldnt have a minutes silence ffs! A VERY large portion of their fans support a bannned terriost orginisation. At least these Rangers fans are doing something about the totally biased reporting on the BBC to all things Celtic minded. Can anyone tell me what Rangers have done to make them more hated than Celtic, do they support a Al-Queda or any terroist orginisation? Do they want to be French? Sometimes I think due to our clubs past we are afraid to criticse Celtic or show some affinity towards Rangers as your labeled as a "mini-Hun" etc....

Geoff Kilpatrick
And your evidence for this is?

There were newspaper and TV exposes carried out, showing the different coloured forms!

It also showed the bias in council spending between Coatbridge and Airdrie.

abject nonsense

Well said Colonel - there are numerous instances of this behaviour all over Scottish society. Did you know that a non Catholic teacher has to get an additional "qualification" from the Catholic Church before being allowed to teach in a Catholic School. Can you imagine the outrage there would be if the reverse was the case?

I'm all for doing away with all forms of discrimination - however the deeper you delve into this issue it appears that there are those of a religious persuasion that want to hold on to their own forms of discrimination and have no intention of changing.

Colonel Kurtz
Well said Colonel - there are numerous instances of this behaviour all over Scottish society. Did you know that a non Catholic teacher has to get an additional "qualification" from the Catholic Church before being allowed to teach in a Catholic School. Can you imagine the outrage there would be if the reverse was the case?

I'm all for doing away with all forms of discrimination - however the deeper you delve into this issue it appears that there are those of a religious persuasion that want to hold on to their own forms of discrimination and have no intention of changing.

There are also no non catholic head teachers at any of these schools,but that is just down to the candidates not being good enough...aye right

This is a modern example of discrimination

Guest Dipped Flake
Absolute nonsense!! Celtic are by far the most vile club plying there trade in Scotland, in that i include their boys clubs too. This is a team which to all intents want to be an irish club you all saw how they acted on remeberance day. The only club in the whole of Britain who couldnt have a minutes silence ffs! A VERY large portion of their fans support a bannned terriost orginisation. At least these Rangers fans are doing something about the totally biased reporting on the BBC to all things Celtic minded. Can anyone tell me what Rangers have done to make them more hated than Celtic, do they support a Al-Queda or any terroist orginisation? Do they want to be French? Sometimes I think due to our clubs past we are afraid to criticse Celtic or show some affinity towards Rangers as your labeled as a "mini-Hun" etc....

Hilarious. Yes the BBC is biased but it is biased for both halves of the bigot brothers and I would say more towards rangers than celtic. As for what rangers have done. They are a totally bigotted organisation that, until fairly recently would not play a catholic. A VERY large proportion of their fans, like celtic, support a banned terrorist organisation and they want to be english.

They are both blights on Scotland and I find it sad that Hearts fans feel the need to 'support' either of these teams

MacDonald Jardine
It USED to be very much the case in Glasgow, but it cut both ways. There were companies that which were pretty much closed shop for both religions ie STV was once almost totally Catholic, whilst the Govan shipyards would not employ Catholics.

Yes but when do you ever hear anyone defending restrictive employment practices against Catholics in this day and age?

Yes but when do you ever hear anyone defending restrictive employment practices against Catholics in this day and age?

The easy answer is you don't. However, as I've previously said in the field of education there are restrictive practises whereby a non catholic applying for a job as a teacher in a catholic School has to obtain a further "qualification" at the behest of the Catholic Church before being considered for the post. Surely, in this day and age, this is a restrictive practise as well?

I'm for all form of discrimination being consigned to history - however there are areas where religious organisations foster and actively encourage discrimination. It's just rather sad that whilst shouting to the heavens about perceived injustice, that they themselves are tarred with the same brush.

MacDonald Jardine
The easy answer is you don't. However, as I've previously said in the field of education there are restrictive practises whereby a non catholic applying for a job as a teacher in a catholic School has to obtain a further "qualification" at the behest of the Catholic Church before being considered for the post. Surely, in this day and age, this is a restrictive practise as well?

I'm for all form of discrimination being consigned to history - however there are areas where religious organisations foster and actively encourage discrimination. It's just rather sad that whilst shouting to the heavens about perceived injustice, that they themselves are tarred with the same brush.

My point is that the only discrimination practiced on a wide scale nowadays is in favour of Roman Catholics.

Yet they still play the persecuted victims.

My point is that the only discrimination practiced on a wide scale nowadays is in favour of Roman Catholics.

Then we are in total agreement.

Konrad von Carstein
Well I'm a decent Hearts fan and I believe the real blame lies as much at Parkhead as it does at Ibrox, if not more so.

Seconded! Celtic are in my mind the greater of the two evils...

10 out of 10

top post

This is what I am talking about

In people's trying to pander down to them they forgot that they are just as bad or ignore the fact.

Archived