JKB Boxing Discussion

djf

Carl Weathers
And you were correct with your prediction

I didn't predict anything - just said, correctly, that Gomez still has a punch.

Don't be sore because I think Burns is pish. :innocent:

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Rupert Pupkin

Not you BBJ,and i didn't say BURNS was good , i just hate GOMEZ!!

When Alex Arthur gets his weight sorted, he'll be the best.

Burns is very average, IMO.

I know what you mean about Arthur - but have my doubts about his fighting mentality after his last couple of fights, although that may solely down to the weight.

Carl Weathers
Not you BBJ,and i didn't say BURNS was good , i juswt hate GOMEZ

Apologies mate!

I was only messing anyway!!

Carl Weathers
I know what you mean about Arthur - but have my doubts about his fighting mentality after his last couple of fights, although that may solely down to the weight.

Yeah, he was poor against Foster Jr and obviously Nicky Cook but he should have moved up before those fights. I guess he wanted a shot at the title.

IMO, he is a good European class fighter - not world class at lightweight - just too much competition there.

Rupert Pupkin

ARTHUR for me just looks like he has lost the hunger,dunno if it was all the hassle o making the weight at super feather or what ,but he always looked disappointing in all the big fights.

Carl Weathers
Heres your mate Andersons fight. First time ive seen him

I seen him KO someone at Meadowbank. This guy will be a higher class though.

I seen him KO someone at Meadowbank. This guy will be a higher class though.

~I reckon the other guy, King looks like a better "boxer". Anderson looks like he's got the power though, and is maybe more of a scrapper than a boxer.

I take it he's quite young then? Good learning curve this fight as the other guys decent.

Carl Weathers
~I reckon the other guy, King looks like a better "boxer". Anderson looks like he's got the power though, and is maybe more of a scrapper than a boxer.

I take it he's quite young then? Good learning curve this fight as the other guys decent.

He'll be 26.

They both look shattered now. Anderson should just about nick it, but he needs to win at least one of the last 3.

Rupert Pupkin

ANDERSON is domestic level only he is to 1 dimensional to be any better.

Gavsy Van Gaverson

I thought it was great to see Gomez getting an absolute pasting. He's a total ****** IMO.

I seen him fight Arthur a few years back, and now it looks like all the wars he has been in have defiintely taken their toll.

Rocco_Jambo

David 'the Hayemaker' v Wladimir 'Dr Steelhammer' Klitschko now official. Happening on 20th of June. Rumble Time!

David 'the Hayemaker' v Wladimir 'Dr Steelhammer' Klitschko now official. Happening on 20th of June. Rumble Time!

Good fight for Haye imo

He's not ready for Vitali quite yet, whereas Wladimir has a much weaker chin. Like his quote about defeating the Ivan Drago style boxing clones coming out of Eastern Europe :D

I'll probably be in the JKB minority as usual but i'm going to take Wlad on points. Think since day one Haye has completely under-estimated Klitscho's ability and is going to go the same way as a lot of others against him. He's not exciting to watch but he's certainly talented.

Rocco_Jambo
I'll probably be in the JKB minority as usual but i'm going to take Wlad on points. Think since day one Haye has completely under-estimated Klitscho's ability and is going to go the same way as a lot of others against him. He's not exciting to watch but he's certainly talented.

Dont think its got anything to do with underestimating him. Think Haye just wants to fight the best fighters out there and while there would be easier ways to get a title to call himself champ, he's only interested in fighting the best. The best at the moment is the Klitschko brothers.

Chad Sexington

Should be a good fight.

Hopefully Haye wins, the heavyweight division desperately needs a champion with a bit of charisma.

Dont think its got anything to do with underestimating him. Think Haye just wants to fight the best fighters out there and while there would be easier ways to get a title to call himself champ, he's only interested in fighting the best. The best at the moment is the Klitschko brothers.

I think he's going into the fight thinking what the majority of the public think. Slow, lumbering, untalented clogger.

Fair play to Haye for going right after the big fights though.

I don't think Haye has underestimated anyone since his defeat to Thompson. He is always in prime condition for his fights, even when they are considered easier opponents. He trash talks his opponents in the press, but you can guarantee he realises how difficult the fight will actually be. I just think he has the speed to really blow the heavyweight division apart. Klitschko is not nearly as slow as Valuev, but he is still quite heavy on his feet. The problem is he has never faced a quick moving heavyweight really to draw him round the ring and outbox him. Wladimir is pretty difficult to beat though if you just try to out fight him

I just don't think Haye is a natural HW and will lack the power of say someone like Brewster who has exposed Klitscho's chin in the past. I'm sure his game plan will be lots of fast, early pressure in the hope of landing something big but I think Wlad will just frustrate and as the fight goes on there is only one winner.

Whats quite interesting about the contract is that Haye has already committed to a rematch with Wlad and a fight against Vitali. So his next 3 fights will be against the Klitscho brothers.

Khan to fight Kotelnik on 27th June. Anyone know much about the Ukranian? All I know is he's slow, he got beaten by Junior Witter and Khan reckons him to be the worst world champion out there.

Quite a good few months boxing now coming up

Got Froch vs Taylor on the 25th of this month, Appleby defending his featherweight title against Martin Lindsay on the same night, Hatton vs Pacquiao on 02/05, Haye vs Klitscho on 20/06 along with the Khan fight.

I'd be fancying Taylor, Appleby, Pac and Klitscho from that lot.

Carl Weathers
Khan to fight Kotelnik on 27th June. Anyone know much about the Ukranian? All I know is he's slow, he got beaten by Junior Witter and Khan reckons him to be the worst world champion out there.

Quite a good few months boxing now coming up

Got Froch vs Taylor on the 25th of this month, Appleby defending his featherweight title against Martin Lindsay on the same night, Hatton vs Pacquiao on 02/05, Haye vs Klitscho on 20/06 along with the Khan fight.

I'd be fancying Taylor, Appleby, Pac and Klitscho from that lot.

Much easier than any of the lightweight champions I'd say. If he wins how about a domestic match up with Hatton?

Rocco_Jambo

Khan v Kotelnik is all thats wrong with boxing. Khan hasnt fought a single fight at light-welter and hasnt even had a title fight at lightweight but now is getting a shot at a light-welter title. Kotelnik not the biggest puncher but looks to have a pretty solid chin.

On the Haye fight. The venue has been confirmed as the stadium schalke play in and suggestions are will have a 75,000 capacity on the night. Tickets will start at ?20

Khan v Kotelnik is all thats wrong with boxing. Khan hasnt fought a single fight at light-welter and hasnt even had a title fight at lightweight but now is getting a shot at a light-welter title. Kotelnik not the biggest puncher but looks to have a pretty solid chin.

On the Haye fight. The venue has been confirmed as the stadium schalke play in and suggestions are will have a 75,000 capacity on the night. Tickets will start at ?20

That would be a nice trip.... hmmm

Dusk_Till_Dawn

I've seen Kotelnik live a couple of times. He's a cautious, negative boxer with an excellent defence and not much else. Tailor made for Khan to take out with well-chosen punches.

Chad Sexington

Does anyone know what the score is with Alex Arthur?

Has he gone into semi-retirement or something?

Not heard a peep for months.

Im not a fan of Amir Khan, I don't think he's a world class boxer. However this is a very good fight for him, and I would fully expect Khan to win it. So im eating my own words as i did say not so long ago he would never be a "world champion". Superb match making by his team.

What I will say though is Khan will never be the dominant force in any weight division, he might end up holding a version of the world title but I don't see him ever being recognised as the ring champion.

Good luck to the kid though, to be a world champion at 22 would be some achievement. And its going to be interesting to see how his career progresses from here as the one thing that your going to get with Amir Khan is excitement. He's fast and powerful but with his chin theres always going to be the chance that no matter who he's fighting he could get Ko'd with a flash punch.

Khan vs hatton

Hatton would have to lose several fights on the trot before he would ever have to consider a Khan fight imo. I don't ever see those two being in the same ring, Hattons at the stage of his career were he's taking super fights against the pound for pound best fighters in the world Pacman,marquez,mayweather rematch, de la hoya, he's not after world title fights anymore. I think he will be retired in 3/4 fights time. If he does lose several in a row, maybe a final goodbye vs Khan at manchester could be arranged, but i doubt it.

I agree with the previous poster that Hatton v Khan is very unlikely to happen. Khan is known to the american (re: mainstream boxing) media, but he is known for his mouth and weak chin, not as a viable bigtime opponent.

As for bawhied Arthur, I've heard he's back in training, now looking for fights at lightweight but nothing confirmed.

Rocco_Jambo
That would be a nice trip.... hmmm

Just booked my flights for this. ?85 return to Dusseldorf (including all fees) from Edinburgh with Jet2. Decent price. Only an hours train ride to Gelsenkirchen and the stadium from Dusseldorf Airport. Fight tickets go on sale 17th of April.

Carl Weathers
Does anyone know what the score is with Alex Arthur?

Has he gone into semi-retirement or something?

Not heard a peep for months.

Fighting in July n Glasgow - opponent tbc. He injured himself in training.

To make an impact he'll need to be much more active - his last fight was in Sept against Nicky Cook.

• 2 weeks later...

Good night of boxing tomorrow

Two main events being Froch vs Taylor in the States for Frochs super-middleweight title and Edinburgh local Paul Appleby defending his British featherweight title against Martin Lindsay in Belfast.

Setanta are showing the Appleby fight from 8.15 but for some reason nobody has picked up the Froch fight (I can only imagine its down to ridiculous demands from Froch's camp.....if networks are willing to pay for Audley Harrison fights after all...). The Froch will be shown in full the next evening on ITV1 though.

I fancy Appleby to stop Lindsay as I really don't agree with the lot of the hype around him. Froch vs Taylor is an interesting one. Whilst Froch is really entertaining to watch and slugs with the best of him, I question how much boxing ability he actually has. As for Taylor, when he wants it he's up there with the best at the weight. His heart is rarely in it though. I'm taking Taylor on points in that one.

Opinions?

Rupert Pupkin

As far as im aware the FROCH fight is on ITV4 .

But after checking the listings it doesn't seem so,but it has been advertised on TALKSPORT all day.

Froch vs Taylor

By the way this fight is being replayed on ~~ITv or ITV4 tomorrow night. If you don't want to know the scores look away now.....

Just listened to the Froch vs Taylor fight on the radio and it sounded amazing. First time ive ever listened to boxing on the radio so its hard to judge if it was as good as it sounded but ive now got visions of this fight being like something out of a Rocky movie it sounded that good.

Taylor Won 6 of the first 7 rounds, including Knocking froch down for the first time in his career. Taylor started tiring in the last few rounds and Froch came back into it, but going into the last round he was still 4points down on 2 of the judges scorecard. And then....with only a ko for victory, Rocky knocks a knackered Taylor down with 70seconds left..Taylor gets back up but is out on his feet..Froch reigns punches down on Taylor and with just 15 seconds from a Taylor victory the ref stops the fight..Froch the winner by TKO 2minutes 45 seconds into the 12th.

So well done to Froch for a great victory. By the sounds of the fight though, Any true World class super middle weight who has the stamina to last 12 rounds could beat Froch very easily though. Talyor by the sounds of it is still a very good boxer, and i look forward to seeing what sounded like a masterclass for the first 7 rounds of the fight, but he has a reputation these days of not being able to last 12 rounds.

All this Calzaghe/Froch fight is nonsense as for me Calzaghe would do to Froch what he did to Lacy. If Jermain Taylor was too fast for Froch then Calzaghes going to give him the same problems but he can do it for the full 12 rounds. Both fighters would have to be willing to fight at a catchweight tho, maybe 172 pounds. I don''t think Calzaghe will ever come back, but perhaps now Froch has a couple of names on his record he can intice Calzaghe out. Froch would be completely mad to continue to call Calzaghe out imo.

For what is worth im not anti Froch. I just don't like how every interview he gives he has to drag up Calzaghes name. I actually respect froch alot for taking the fight with Taylor, His first Defence and he's went across the pond to fight a world class opponent when he could have easily taken a lesser guy somewhere back at home. ITs something that Calzaghe never did. So Frochs got one up on him in that department, but like i say I still dont rate Froch too highly and would expect the likes of Kessler to beat him comfortably.

Congrats Carl froch, Great way to win and is sure to make a name for himself now,if not as a great boxer certainly an entertaining fighter.

By the way this fight is being replayed on ~~ITv or ITV4 tomorrow night.

Rocco_Jambo

Was cracking fight. Watched on a stream though cut out as Carl threw the second last punch before the knockdown. Froch done well think he would beat most other super middles. Calzaghe would beat him easy as he's slow and easy to hit and think Kessler would also break him down, but barring that think he showed at the weight he will cause most others problems.

Was cracking fight. Watched on a stream though cut out as Carl threw the second last punch before the knockdown. Froch done well think he would beat most other super middles. Calzaghe would beat him easy as he's slow and easy to hit and think Kessler would also break him down, but barring that think he showed at the weight he will cause most others problems.

the other title holder in the division Bute would be fave to beat Froch, and as you said Kessler at the top of his game would beat him. Im not sure about how strong the others in the division are but It wouldn't surprise me if theres another couple of guys out there who could come in and outbox Froch using speed and footwork and win on decision. He does throw big punches does Froch, but I don't think he's a KO expert that some think. He hit Pascal with everything and never got him out, and tonight Taylor was said to be exhausted at the start of the 12th and so Froch wont get much credit in terms of it being his punching that stopped Taylor and more that Taylor has no stamina(see the pavlik fight for further proof of that). Speed,movement, stamina and a boxing brain beats Frochs strength and heart. I think after this fight his management will be alot smarter with who they put him in with in the future.

I should really give him more credit. He's won a superb 12round fight against all the odds going into the last. He's shown incredible courage and heart. He's been ambitious enough not to just stay in Nottingham and look for fights he can win hands down, He basically put it all on the line against a proven top fighter(though taylor is really a middleweight and has been poor in recent years, he still beat Bernard Hopkins)..but i feel there is still going to be more questions than answers..one thing though i would say, his last two fights have been crackers. And whilst he might not be a technically gifted boxer, he's definately an exciting fighter.

Rupert Pupkin

CARL FROCH is an absolute ****** of a man, 14 secs from losing but he had it all under control,and again calls out CALZAGHE .Get into your head he aint intrested. PENII ERECTII.:err:

Carl Weathers

Just watched the play back of the Froch fight. I think Taylor started off better and obviously had Froch down in the 3rd but it was much closer after that. I probably had Froch down by 1, maybe 2 rounds going into the 12th.

The 12th round was one of the best rounds of boxing I've seen for ages.

A superb win for British boxing!

That was straight out of Rocky.

Froch was badly behind all fight and only going bonkers mental with 30 seconds to go saved him.

Calling out Calzaghe?

Joe would flatten him.

End.

Of.

Story.

The Old Tolbooth
That was straight out of Rocky.

Froch was badly behind all fight and only going bonkers mental with 30 seconds to go saved him.

Calling out Calzaghe?

Joe would flatten him.

End.

Of.

Story.

It would actually be quite funny to see, I'd give it 3 rounds!

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

Archived