Levein interview

lambojambo

Hearts legend my erse:4_1_72: He played in a good Hearts team that nearly done the double but so did Ian Jardine and Neil Berry and they are never called Hearts Legends. He was then injured for most of his playing career while getting well looked after by HMFC. He has now turned into a self centred, big mouthed ******. GTF Craig Levein.

Get off the fence Boo! ;)

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hearts legend my erse:4_1_72: He played in a good Hearts team that nearly done the double but so did Ian Jardine and Neil Berry and they are never called Hearts Legends. He was then injured for most of his playing career while getting well looked after by HMFC. He has now turned into a self centred, big mouthed ******. GTF Craig Levein.

Nobody takes anything you say seriously, you truly are an embarassment.

http://www.heartsfc.premiumtv.co.uk/page/HallOfFame/0,,10289,00.html

Levein is the best footballing centre half I have seen playing for Hearts in 30 years. He was a fantastic player and I believe Hearts are and always will be his club.

He left because he left, who cares why. He will always have a place at Tynie and I believe in the right circumstances would jump at a return.

He was also a good manager and has the potential to be great.

I like Levein.

Maybe it was a good team because it contained some outstanding players (Levein, Robbo, S Jardine, JC and Gary McKay) and some very good ones.

There was mutual benefit; Hearts looked after him and were rewarded with his loyalty. He probably remained at Hearts when, if uninjured, he might have moved on.

You can't compare him with Ian Jardine (great but we only got half a season out of him) or Neil Berry (who is a legend to some, and served us well, but not remotely in Levein's class)

Ever see him play? Saw my first game in 1965 - what has that got do with my opinion of an ex Hearts Manager having a pop at hearts fans?

Just that it's hard to believe that you could hold these views if you had seen him play.

Just that it's hard to believe that you could hold these views if you had seen him play.

Is that not a bit irrelevant?

Paul Ritchie was a cracking defender at Hearts. I saw him play. I think he is a to$$er.

Maybe it was a good team because it contained some outstanding players (Levein, Robbo, S Jardine, JC and Gary McKay) and some very good ones.

There was mutual benefit; Hearts looked after him and were rewarded with his loyalty. He probably remained at Hearts when, if uninjured, he might have moved on.

But he was injured, and if he had not had a dodgy knee he would have been banging on the door looking for a transfer!

"Rewarded with his loyalty"???? Yeh, I remember that loyalty when he walked out days before one of our most important games!

It was a great shame that Levein's potential was wasted by the sad injuries. He had the ability to get to the top in football but the chance went with his knee.

Hearts treated him magnificently following the injuries.

He didn't provide the same support to Tomaschek and Wales when he was manager though. Both were cast aside following similar injuries to his.

I couldn't give a feck if he is in the hall of fame and I couldn't give a feck what you think either. You're the last person I would take seriously on here.

Craig Levein is a HEARTS LEGEND, FACT. He was inducted into the Heart of Midlothian Hall of Fame which was a very fitting tribute given his services to the club both as a manager but especially as a player.

Did he refuse to sign your strip for you ? boo hoo hoo :)

Nucky Thompson
Craig Levein is a HEARTS LEGEND, FACT. He was inducted into the Heart of Midlothian Hall of Fame which was a very fitting tribute given his services to the club both as a manager but especially as a player.

It's fact because you used Caps Lock on your computer, aye OK then:laugh:

Levein was inducted in the HMFC hall of fame - FACT

Is he a LEGEND in the eyes of many Hearts supporters - NO

Levein is a Hearts legend in my eyes and, in many Hearts supporters eyes although, as with any issue, you are never going to get everyone agreeing.

I believe he was,is, and always will be a Hearts man. So what if he wanted out? He has to look after his own interests and I don't blame him for that. He didn't betray Hearts etc, or any of the similar nonsense that some people have spouted on here.

Robbo left for Newcastle? Does that make him less of a Hearts legend?

Levein was inducted in the HMFC hall of fame - FACT

Is he a LEGEND in the eyes of many Hearts supporters - NO

Wrong on that one I'm sorry. You'll find many who consider him a legend.

You might be able to say: Is he a non-legend in the eyes of a significant (and barmy) number of Hearts supporters.

I don't doubt that quite a few people agree with you. But most of us don't.

He's a professional. He was offered a good job. He accepted. Most of us can understand that.

Wrong on that one I'm sorry. You'll find many who consider him a legend.

You might be able to say: Is he a non-legend in the eyes of a significant (and barmy) number of Hearts supporters.

I don't doubt that quite a few people agree with you. But most of us don't.

He's a professional. He was offered a good job. He accepted. Most of us can understand that.

Couldn't agree more.

Wrong on that one I'm sorry. You'll find many who consider him a legend. Many find him a Legend, many don't - how therefore can I be "wrong on that one"?

You might be able to say: Is he a non-legend in the eyes of a significant (and barmy) number of Hearts supporters. Does "significant" not mean the same as "many"?? Just because a significant number or many Hearts fans do not share your views does not mean they are "barmy"!

I don't doubt that quite a few people agree with you. But most of us don't. "Quite a few" - now is that "significant" or "many"??

He's a professional. He was offered a good job. Er no - check my OP. He was so desperate to jettison Hearts that he took the first job that came up - his words not mine!

CL also said last night

"We had a good team (at Hearts) despite cutting the budget year on year"

What he failed to mention was that even through this cost cutting, Levein still had a bigger player budget than any other SPL Manager outwith the OF.[/QUOTE]

Not true. During CL's time at Hearts Aberdeen had a larger player budget than Hearts and their pay/bonus structure was more.

Paisley Jambo
Well he probably isnt going to say "I was cheating on my missus and things had come to a head in my personal life and it was actually convenient at that time to move away from the village that is Scotland"

Having cut costs year on year under Robinson and been faced witha chap we now know was lieing about his initially intimated intentions for Hearts it looks as if he did the right thing

Equally had he stayed and been shafted by Romanov - as he would have been - no doubt Levein would also have been slated by the Romanov loyal who would have believed whatever smear campaign followed that.

Lose lose situation I guess from a relationship with Hearts fans point of view

A good post. After reading first few I thought it was get stuck into Levein time.

Robbo received treatment that Levein missed by joining LCFC.

CL also said last night

"We had a good team (at Hearts) despite cutting the budget year on year"

What he failed to mention was that even through this cost cutting' date=' Levein still had a bigger player budget than any other SPL Manager outwith the OF.[/[/b']QUOTE]

Not true. During CL's time at Hearts Aberdeen had a larger player budget than Hearts and their pay/bonus structure was more.

NO WAY! The Scotsman carried out an indepth report on SPL player wage expenditure near the end of Leveins tenure, and Hearts still had the largest players wage bill by far (outwith the OF).

You are way off the mark with Aberdeen. Milne was one of the first to start slashing wage costs.

"To be honest I was just desperate to leave Hearts and took the first job that came up. There was too much going on at Hearts with fan's protests and I just wanted out"

I really, really dont see where in this quote he is 'having a pop' at Hearts fans. He is commenting on a situation where there was great upheavel at Tynecastle. He doesnt say the fans were the reason he wanted out, he doesnt say the fans were in the wrong to be protesting. As for saying that Dundee Utd fans are great - what do you expect the Dundee Utd manager to say ? Actually our fans are gash Id swap them for most other teams fans any day?

"To be honest I was just desperate to leave Hearts and took the first job that came up. There was too much going on at Hearts with fan's protests and I just wanted out"

I really, really dont see where in this quote he is 'having a pop' at Hearts fans. He is commenting on a situation where there was great upheavel at Tynecastle. He doesnt say the fans were the reason he wanted out, he doesnt say the fans were in the wrong to be protesting. As for saying that Dundee Utd fans are great - what do you expect the Dundee Utd manager to say ? Actually our fans are gash Id swap them for most other teams fans any day?

Please get yourself along to Tannadice - I'm sure you will be very welcome there!

Please get yourself along to Tannadice - I'm sure you will be very welcome there!

I think you misundersytand my post Im not saying Hearts fans are gash I'm suggesting that as a possible response from CL - hence the question mark after the sentence.

cousinsofnoone

A stand out since the first time I saw him play against Hearts. Even looking half fit in midfield on debut at ibrox he looked the class act he was to become. Mosty naturally gifted athlete at Tynecastle in the past 45 years.

A fine, intelligent, tactically-astute manager who got the best out of a dimionishing resource base under Robinson.

Our fault we let him go, facing the prospect of a volatile new owner, who is to blame him?

If he's happy at a smaller but better run club, who can blame him for that, either?

best in the land

craig was a great player for us and probably the best ch i've seen play for hearts.

but if he had not had injury's he would have moved away in a heartbeat.

put gary mackay or even robbo in the same situation,and i 'm pretty sure they would have handled it differently.

more deserving of the term legends imo.

Our fault we let him go, facing the prospect of a volatile new owner, who is to blame him?

If he's happy at a smaller but better run club, who can blame him for that, either?

Translate:

Blah, blah, blah.........it is all Vlad's fault. :o

craig was a great player for us and probably the best ch i've seen play for hearts.

but if he had not had injury's he would have moved away in a heartbeat.

put gary mackay or even robbo in the same situation,and i 'm pretty sure they would have handled it differently.

more deserving of the term legends imo.

Surely its what you do when you are at a club that qualifies you as a legend? Jim Cruickshank has no time for Hearts these days and wont go near Tynecastle but is still a legend. I went to Alex Youngs testimonial at Goodison and in the programme he says that he prefered Everton fans to Hearts fans as he found them much warmer to him. Does that disqualify Alex as a legend too?

winston churchill

craig levein was a very talented defender and my favourite ever hearts payer.that said,is anybody daft enough to think he would have played for us for 14 years if he never done his knee in.

craig levein the manager.the piemans 3rd/4th choice(eric black was the piemans preference)did okay results wise playing the alex macdonalds brand of football.

what he did on the eve of a european tie was out of order(dundee hibernian)take note).

he was caught with his trousers down, and turned his back on hearts for the first job his agent could find him.

after he was emptied from his big step up down south,and things had cooled down on ,mowing some other guys law,he headed back for tynecastle and hung around the ground and the training camp like a vulture.

I'M IBRAHIM TALL

Well at least it's better than saying he had the flu!! Oh hold on he's used that one before hasn't he.

He said all the right things when he took the Leicester job. Im sure thier board will be over the moon to hear he took thier money just to get out of Edinburgh.

I dont mind the guy but he tries too hard to come over all school masterly in my opinion. He built a succesful but very dull Hearts team. I'm sure if VR had left Burley alone for a season or 2 we wouldnt be even in the slightest bit bothered about CL. But that in turns proves the point he was probably right to leave in the first place.

I'm not overly bothered what Levein thinks about us the fans or the club. His Dundee United team are workmanlike with maybe 1 or 2 quality players, but then again so where we.

Interesting that he described Hearts as a provinicial club - aye, and Leicester are giants of the game!

Seriously, though - I can't blame CL for wanting to leave. It was a miserable time for us back then (off the field at least) and nobody had any clear idea how bad the future might get. I believe CL is a Hearts man, but sooner or later everyone has to look after number one. I do think the timing of his departure was appalling, though.

Last night he was in raptures about all things Dundee United including their "fantastic fans".

He was just stating the obvious :cool:

I think what Levein was trying to say was the protests were taking away from what was going on the park, you were winning most weeks but it was overshadowed by protests and seemed like the wins were almost being made meaningless.

Don't think he had a go at Hearts fans, on ArabZONE, whenever we play Hearts he always speaks of a good relationship he will always have with Hearts fans.

jambos are go!

IIRC correctly when he left he said he had made up his might to go a year earlier. He also said he had turned down offers and the Leicester one was the first to "tick all the boxes". So his devotion to the club seems to have had caveats for some time. Unlike me and many thousands of other true Hearts fans.

Guest Fabuloso

And so it came to pass.......Hearts fans now have a go at their ex-players after claims of desertion! Quite incredible. This is lowest common denominator stuff once again from fools with keyboards.

I have noticed however that most of the anti-Levein brigade are also the pro Romanov brigade. How weird is that?!

Guest Fabuloso
It's not weird, it's inevitable. The likes of 'The Boo' are fairly simple chaps.

Black or white type characters. I hear you.

Nucky Thompson

I have noticed however that most of the anti-Levein brigade are also the pro Romanov brigade. How weird is that?!

The Levein and VR eras are totally different times in Hearts history so how can you link the two? You'll find that the Pro Romanov brigade are also the Pro Hearts brigade. How weird is that.

Oh I nearly forgot:hobofish::107years:

Dubious characters certainly.

And you one of the ones that wanted Hearts to go bust so we could start again without Romanov.

Guest Fabuloso
The Levein and VR eras are totally different times in Hearts history so how can you link the two? You'll find that the Pro Romanov brigade are also the Pro Hearts brigade. How weird is that.

Oh I nearly forgot:hobofish::107years:

I'm merely pointing out that both are common themes amongst the mentally challenged!:)

Guest Fabuloso
And you one of the ones that wanted Hearts to go bust so we could start again without Romanov.

If that's what it takes....

IIRC correctly when he left he said he had made up his might to go a year earlier. He also said he had turned down offers and the Leicester one was the first to "tick all the boxes". So his devotion to the club seems to have had caveats for some time. Unlike me and many thousands of other true Hearts fans.

Oh I see. What he should've done instead was stay at Hearts forever, and wait to get sacked (at which point others on here would've probably slagged him off anyway), and not give his career a second thought! Do you just disregard your career too, out of interest?

A man gave great service to one club, then left it for another with more potential (because it plays in England). Big ****ing deal.

Nucky Thompson
If that's what it takes....
And you're suggesting other people are mentally challenged:laugh:

Guest Fabuloso
And you're suggesting other people are mentally challenged:laugh:

Think so? Serious question:

Would you rather Hearts imploded and started again w/out VR?

OR

Hearts don't implode and VR stays indefinately - ie the status quo?

Hearts would never cease to exist. I'd buy them personally if that were to happen.

OK jambos are go, let's try this for one last time.

You are a fan. So am I. We will never transfer our allegiance as long as there's a Heart of Midlothian. That's what fans do.

Levein was a player and is now a manager (coach when here). From time to time he will change his employer, sometimes by being sacked, sometimes by being hired. That's what football professionals do.

Please do not criticise Levein for not behaving like a fan.

Many find him a Legend, many don't - how therefore can I be "wrong on that one"?

Sorry taken a while to answer your question "how therefore can I be wrong?"

You're wrong because you said:

Is he a legend in the eyes of many Hearts fans - NO (not a verbatim quote cos it's on another page now)

The thing is that he IS a legend in the eyes of many Hearts fans. That makes you wrong.

If you want a challenge, we could set up a poll and find out whether or not people consider him a legend. I think you'll find that many do.

jambos are go!
Oh I see. What he should've done instead was stay at Hearts forever, and wait to get sacked (at which point others on here would've probably slagged him off anyway), and not give his career a second thought! Do you just disregard your career too, out of interest?

A man gave great service to one club, then left it for another with more potential (because it plays in England). Big ****ing deal.

Most of my post was merely factual meant to inform the discussion on Leveins credentials as devoted Hearts man. People can make of it what they will.

As I've said before I've made a few career moves but never left anyone at a moments notice or in the lurch with a vital business objective looming. Nor taken the cream of the talent with me. Stood me in good stead and I went back to a couple of places.

Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC
Must we tar the legacy and reputation of everyone who passes out the doors of Tynecastle?

It's Kickback tradition.

Levein was a Judas. Rudi was a half a season wonder. Brellier was the most over-rated player in our history. Burley was a jake.

And our cup winning captain .... well, let's not even go there.

:sad:

Archived