Could this be a good idea for hearts?

jamboinglasgow

jamboinglasgow

This idea came to me yesterday when reading kickback and in bed (why do you get ideas when about to go off to sleep?)

What it is that to improve the quality and number of quality youngsters at grassroots level from which hearts can get a greater of players is hearts "adopt" between 6 and 12 youth clubs in Edinburgh or area just round the city.

When I say adopt I mean that they provide help with training plans, help the coaches improve their coaching, provide a small amout of funding (dont know how much it costs to run a youth team but maybe give ?1000 each.) They could organising training and coaching at riccarton say twice a month.

They could also organise a competition among these teams that encourages creativity and helps development.

What Hearts get in return is first option on the players i.e. Hearts are allowed to ask first for a player (though thinking about this it may not be hard for others to come forward to the player secertly.) But Hearts seeing these players before any others may know about the players.

Other teams could do this, hibs could form links with other teams, so could Rangers and celtic. It brings the top end in contact with the very bottom and in partnership help redevelop the grass roots to bring a better product in the future for the top.

Is this a good idea or one that wont work.

We already have a youth system where we try to cherry pick the best young players from various teams around Edinburgh ie Salveston, Hutchie and Tynecastle etc etc.

This idea came to me yesterday when reading kickback and in bed (why do you get ideas when about to go off to sleep?)

What it is that to improve the quality and number of quality youngsters at grassroots level from which hearts can get a greater of players is hearts "adopt" between 6 and 12 youth clubs in Edinburgh or area just round the city.

When I say adopt I mean that they provide help with training plans, help the coaches improve their coaching, provide a small amout of funding (dont know how much it costs to run a youth team but maybe give ?1000 each.) They could organising training and coaching at riccarton say twice a month.

They could also organise a competition among these teams that encourages creativity and helps development.

What Hearts get in return is first option on the players i.e. Hearts are allowed to ask first for a player (though thinking about this it may not be hard for others to come forward to the player secertly.) But Hearts seeing these players before any others may know about the players.

Other teams could do this, hibs could form links with other teams, so could Rangers and celtic. It brings the top end in contact with the very bottom and in partnership help redevelop the grass roots to bring a better product in the future for the top.

Is this a good idea or one that wont work.

Its maybe not done in the exact same way but I think the youth set up already has very similar.

Hearts and Hibs regularly pick players up off the likes of Salvie and hutchy and the top youth clubs in the surrounding area at many ages.

What you can do with kids below 16 is limited anyway so I dont think hearts getting involved in more at a younger age will make much difference.

Its a fact of life that most young potential footballers won't make it and that a few an age group which we tend to get is a more than acceptable return.

We also look at other countries and have picked up a fair few young aussies and icelandic boys in recent years, as well as an america, bulgarian and romanian.

I think our scouting network is probably more than sufficient

Even if we do sign some of these young lads we are not immune from English clubs poaching them for next to nothing (Gray & Galbraith)

Even if we do sign some of these young lads we are not immune from English clubs poaching them for next to nothing (Gray & Galbraith)

Yep

You can't sign them to a proper contract til either 16/7 and before that point they can be poached for a small fee (50k or so at max)

The scouting system is pretty thorough. Players are scouted from all over the central belt. Glasgow, Stirling, Bathgate, Fife plus Edinburgh, East Lothian etc. The best players from around these areas will have been asked in to train and be assessed at Riccarton. Hearts, Rangers and Celtic scout the youngsters earliest.

80-100 of the players considered the best will have been through Riccarton and assessed. This gets whittled down by Hearts assessment of ability and also, whether a boy wants to commit to Heartstil they have around 20 laddies.

Obviously, youingsters develop at diffent rates, so the best at 8 years old may not be the best at 16 years.

jamboinglasgow

I think people are missing what I am trying to get accross. It was more invest in young teams where it really raises the basic skills and technique to a level better than usual in Scotland through greater club involvment at a young level.

Toxteth O'Grady
I think people are missing what I am trying to get accross. It was more invest in young teams where it really raises the basic skills and technique to a level better than usual in Scotland through greater club involvment at a young level.

This could be done very cheaply by inviting their coaches along to Riccarton for some training or alternatively our coaches making some guest appearances at the Youth Clubs.

They aren't interested in raising the general standard of youth club football. They are interested in "cherrypicking" who they think are the best prospects at a young age, then coach these laddies. They will play against their peers from Rangers, Celtic etc in the youth development leagues.

Archived