Who is copying whom ?

davieholt

Just watched the BBC highlights of the game at Tynie and then the Aberdeen game.

Something was wrong and I became a little nauseous.

I then opened up the two games in different browsers and realised why I was twitchy. The Aberdeen strip and our strip look the same. The colour seems to be maroon (not as dark as I would like but maroon) in both cases.

Am I going colour blind or are Aberdeen serious in their quest to be the third force ? :eek:

There were some pictures posted on here the other day of the hearts v rangers game (taken by fans). In some of the pictures the Hearts kit looked black!

Francis Albert

We, unfortunately, are copying them. Aberdeen adopted all red in the Ferguson era, I believe, because it supposedly made them look more intimidating. Now with our too-light all maroon strip we look like Aberdeen, and not so much intimidating as plain dull.

We, unfortunately, are copying them. Aberdeen adopted all red in the Ferguson era, I believe, because it supposedly made them look more intimidating. Now with our too-light all maroon strip we look like Aberdeen, and not so much intimidating as plain dull.

Surely Aberdeen were in all red before the Ferguson era? Unless my memory has, once and for all, packed in.

Francis Albert
Surely Aberdeen were in all red before the Ferguson era? Unless my memory has, once and for all, packed in.

Sorry. You are right -it's my memory that has packed in. I'm sure I heard the "more intimidating" line about change to all-red somewhere. Maybe I am thinking of (Bill Shankly?) and Liverpool who made the same switch to all red in 1964 (based on the same link to historic strips as posted on this thread). So it looks as though Aberdeen may have copied Liverpool and we took over 40 years to catch on and make the same (IMO) mistake.

Sorry. You are right -it's my memory that has packed in. I'm sure I heard the "more intimidating" line about change to all-red somewhere. Maybe I am thinking of (Bill Shankly?) and Liverpool who made the same switch to all red in 1964 (based on the same link to historic strips as posted on this thread). So it looks as though Aberdeen may have copied Liverpool and we took over 40 years to catch on and make the same (IMO) mistake.

My Subbuteo memory told me they had been all red since at least the early1970s. I think the earliest Dons team I can remember is the one that won the Cup - Buchan, Forrest, Robb, that era.

I think we look OK in all maroon, although the appeal may fade.

Archived