Thank you cuz: Fantastic 1998 DVD

Buffalo Bill

With Kickback down, I just watched an emotional DVD from 1998.

My cousin, Stuart has had this on video for a decade now, but recently I got it put on DVD as a favour to him.

Starts with Friday Night Sportscene, Stratford upon Avon, Eggo et al; the build up - you can smell victory!

Then Sportscene from the evening of 16/5/98; the game, the goals, the celerations...

Then news bulletins from the Sunday and Monday; Sky, ITN, BBC

Wonderfully emotional stuff; I guess indulgent. Tears? A couple.

Watched the Neil Pointon/BBC out-takes DVD too. Gets better every time. When the bus goes along Gorgie Road, my chest can’t help but beat a little faster; The Fire Station, Chesser Inn, Luckies, Gorgie Road, bedlam!; and that slow, slow turn at the Tynecastle Arms (where I was). It just chokes me up watching footage from that warm, balmy evening.

I was lucky. Aged just 24. Yet it meant the world.

Heart of Midlothian 2 Rangers 1

Scottish Cup Winners 1998

What I’d give for that result this weekend.

Out.

Buffalo Bill

My cousin, Stuart has had this on video for a decade now, but recently I got it put on DVD as a favour to him, and a certain Kickback poster who featured on it.

Starts with Friday Night Sportscene, Stratford upon Avon, Eggo et al; the build up - you can smell victory!

Then Sportscene from the evening of 16/5/98; the game, the goals, the celerations...

Watched the Neil Pointon/BBC out-takes DVD too. Gets better every time. When the bus goes along Gorgie Road, my chest can’t help but beat a little faster; The Fire Station, Chesser Inn, Luckies, Gorgie Road, bedlam!; and that slow, slow turn at the Tynecastle Arms (where I was). It just chokes me up watching footage from that warm, balmy evening.

Out.

Buffalo Bill

well give me a copy

Sounds like a brilliant DVD...people would pay small fortunes for copies of something like that, BB. ;)

Sadly, I think I lost my copy of the Neil Pointon dvd when I was moving so I'll need to get a hold of another one. Used to watch it once in a while and without fail it would reduce me to tears, much to the amusement of my flatmate...

I especially love the part where they're on the bus about to head back to Edinburgh with the cup and the players and JJ are singing the Hearts song. Jim looked like the proudest, happiest man in the Universe...and he probably was...and the rest of the world's happiest people were in Gorgie waiting for them to come home. Brilliant.

Ach dammit, I want to watch it now....

chester copperpot
well give me a copy

The Neil Pointon DVD is the best one I've ever seen.

The players talking to Stevie Fulton before the game, when he says 'Welcome to Paradise', and then Lockie retorts with 'Its a ****ehole' will be with me forever.

Only ever seen it once, but it was pretty awesome.

How I'd love for us to win that scoreline tomorrow. We beat Rangers 4-2 in our corresponding fixture last season so why not.

Goodmorningmrfisherman
Sounds like a brilliant DVD...people would pay small fortunes for copies of something like that, BB. ;)

Sadly, I think I lost my copy of the Neil Pointon dvd when I was moving so I'll need to get a hold of another one. Used to watch it once in a while and without fail it would reduce me to tears, much to the amusement of my flatmate...

I especially love the part where they're on the bus about to head back to Edinburgh with the cup and the players and JJ are singing the Hearts song. Jim looked like the proudest, happiest man in the Universe...and he probably was...and the rest of the world's happiest people were in Gorgie waiting for them to come home. Brilliant.

Ach dammit, I want to watch it now....

Your wish is my command;)

Andy 68 Copperpot calls it right.

The one I watched before it; the Neil Pointon/BBC one is the best.

But the one I have is pretty special too. It's when you see the people as they were back then.

Dougie Donnelly has hair like a walnut whip.

Gary Locke had horrific curtians.

Hazel Irvine has the same suit as Jim Jeffries!

Scotland are in the World Cup.

Great stuff.

Buffalo Bill

Charlie-Brown

Age 24 BB ?.... i was 30 the month before the cup win (of course & hibs relegation) seemed like i'd been watching Hertz for a lifetime since dad & grandad started taking me to football in the mid-seventies, i've never watched too much of the Gretna final although i enjoyed the aftermath in a very similar way & in a lot of the same places and followed the bus all the way down both times.......

Anytime a thread is started on the 98 Cup Final its impossible not too be taken back to that weekend, how it felt (and tbh still feels).

I clearly remember getting of the bus in Broxburn and people were coming up shaking our hands, who didn't even support Hearts or really like football, but they knew what it meant.

I'll also never forget the face of my best mate (a Hibee) when I walked into the pub. He just looked me in the eye, shooked his head and turned away.

To be fair to him he wore a Hearts top all night, as he promised if we won, so confident he was that we'd screw up as we always did (but not this time!). A great day and great weekend.

We also beat Rangers 2 - 1 first game of the season after winning the Cup and I was convinced it was an Aberdeen like period of domination by us!

I was convinced it was an Aberdeen like period of domination by us!

Yikes! :eek:

That damn Rubiks Cube.

I'd sell my leg-warmers to finish that.

Still, any team that brings "4,000" to three quarters of the Roseburn Stand drives my Sinclair C5 away for nothing.

Buffalo Bill

chester copperpot

I was 24, just turned.

Had a ball.

We won the Scottish cup, I was very very happy, beyond belief.

Beat the engagement party I had the month before. My fiance understood.

Brilliant times.

Yikes! :eek:

That damn Rubiks Cube.

I'd sell my leg-warmers to finish that.

Still, any team that brings "4,000" to three quarters of the Roseburn Stand drives my Sinclair C5 away for nothing.

Buffalo Bill

You know what I meant!!

My cousin, Stuart has had this on video for a decade now, but recently I got it put on DVD as a favour to him.

Out.

Buffalo Bill

Growing up in weedgie land I was sitting in a room full of rangers supporters with one other person who was a celtic man. Needless to say it was one of my better days!

Watched the 98 cup final in Kearney, New Jersey (strange place, half Porto Rican and half Weegie). Had to watch it in the Rangers Supporters Club (not much in the way of Satelite TV back then). Game was over and I was pished by lunch time. Very surreal drive back to Connecticut, always felt the whole NJ Turnpike should be singing. There's even an article somewhere in an old Gorgie Dalry Gazette telling the story.

Amazing the impact of that day

loveofthegame

I lost my copy of the 1998 all afternoon programming years ago that my Mum had taped for my Dad and I. Have also somehow never seen the Pointon dvd but always wanted too.

If anyone has copies/a way of making copies PM me please- i would of course fully reimburse any cost and pay a reasonable sum. Cheers!

It was my 18th birthday, what a day and night!

THE most amazing feeling Ive ever had to this day.

FTR

What a weekend !!

BB you could be Santa this year.

Just a wee thing for our stocking.

;)

I've been sent a PM asking for a copy. I'll take your orders now - by private message only, with the cut-off being Dec 5th. Cost is ?10 a DVD, but if I can get a discount on a small bulk order I'll give the profits to some worthwhile cause relating to Hearts.

The DVD has:

Friday Sportscene 15/5/98

Saturday night Sportscene 16/5/98

Sunday/Monday news reports Sky, ITN and BBC Scotland.

You'd need to come to me to collect at the next home game/or in the Diggers if the DVDs are ready by then. I'm really busy with stuff at the moment so I can't spend too much time on this.

Fair cop, Guv?

Buffalo Bill

Gillsland jack

Drove up and down Gorgie Road with a Hearts flag out the window....most of Sunday morning....Sunday afternoon a different story...met the boys in Gorgie, started on the bevvy...after the parade I remembered that I had the kids with me....great up to the Gillsland where they could run about and I continued on the bevvy so much so....I decided to lie back in the sunshine, and close my eyes ..........WHACK!....the wife arrives unexpectedly and demands to know where the kids are......F....K as I awake in total panic mode.......Fortunately a few of the boys wifes had been keeping an eye on them so they were fine, but did I get some Sh T when we got home.........sorry darling I,ve waited all my life for this weekend...did not wash with her indoors.

Archived