A Trial To Have 5 Referee's Officiate A Match

Guest juvehearts

Guest juvehearts

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/scot_prem/7753355.stm

seems at the u19 championships.

imall for it, but why not just bring in the video evidance & camera's at every top flight ground?

your spl's championships, premierships, bundsliga e.c.t.

it makes sence, however 5 referee's could work also, the downside is their match fee every game.

for the spl 5 x ?800/1000 is a player's wage!

kannae see that one working IMO.

besides the referee's in scotland (well all the SPL/ Div 1ref's) must go full time, before any changes come to light, that being the 1st one!

Csaba's Broon Shoes

Maybe they should have a trial with 1 referee first

No linesmen or 4th official

Just a referee with one opinion , no confusion

The game is turning into an absolute farce

Imagine when the 5 th official over-rules the match referee

How about they keep the three refs and fourth official and bring in an independent advisor for controversial decisions. Someone like Murdo McLeod or Ian Durrant, for example...

Drylaw Hearts
They should have a goal judge for those 'was it over the line' moments.

There was something about 5 Refs on SSN earlier this week and the 2 additional Refs stood at the side of each goal.

These Refs were preferred to camera's as they can give a decision right away and the game wouldn't have to be stopped to look at video footage.

Well I was certainly convinced by David Taylor's case against TV refs :rolleyes:

Utter waffle. They know that refs will be exposed either way .........as simply incompetent, or worst still shown up as being biased.

I think each player should have an individual referee. There should be 2 goal line refs AND a video camera. Replays of every tackle and ALL controversial incidents.

FFS, what a load of *****. Leave it alone. Refs decisions are the bread and butter of football debate. Can you imagine if every call was correct? What would we discuss?

me: see that good call by the ref?

mate: aye. Spot on.

me: yup.

As for on the line cameras, if the ball rebounds out and play continues do we then stop play and consult the video or wait until the ball goes out?

What if the ball crosses the line, rebounds out then the defending team launch an attack and score? Do we chop off their goal and award the first goal?

I think each player should have an individual referee. There should be 2 goal line refs AND a video camera. Replays of every tackle and ALL controversial incidents.

FFS, what a load of *****. Leave it alone. Refs decisions are the bread and butter of football debate. Can you imagine if every call was correct? What would we discuss?

As for on the line cameras, if the ball rebounds out and play continues do we then stop play and consult the video or wait until the ball goes out?

What if the ball crosses the line, rebounds out then the defending team launch an attack and score? Do we chop off their goal and award the first goal?

If it is introduced in Scotland will it be 3 Celtic fans and 2 Rangers, or the other way round?

Agreed, all the fuss about goal line cameras is a nonsense - such instances are seldom actually the contentious decision, as they happen pretty rarely.

However, bias IS a problem in our game and it simply cannot be coincidence that many of the "top" (better word "senior") refs are Celtic fans and it is Celtic who are getting lots of dodgy decisions all in their favour this season...

I think we should do what tennis does - have a set number of appeals to the TV camera ref: Each manager can appeal 4 decisions in a match. If the manager is wrong on the first claim then he loses one subsequent claim etc so he can make a maximum of 2 wrong claims thus not breaking up the continuity any more than substitutions do...If he is right though, he can have 4 correct appeals and 4 correct appeals means the ref is diabolical so on the 4th correct appeal he gets a 5th appeal and so on until the manager is wrong.

So does that mean we won't have any more refs at the Orangebowl or Sellick park trotting out the old chestnuts that they were 'unsighted' or 'couldn't keep up with play'.

Or are the two refs behind the goals just there to see if the ball crosses/doesn't cross the line in controversial circumstances. It seems a lot of money to pay out for such a rare occurence.

On the other hand , incompetent & weak refereeing is robbing teams virtually very week.

Question:

What's worse than 4 Scottish match officials?

Answer:

5 or 6 Scottish Match Officials!!!

If Taylor thinks it's a good idea, believe me, it's dross!!!

So does that mean we won't have any more refs at the Orangebowl or Sellick park trotting out the old chestnuts that they were 'unsighted' or 'couldn't keep up with play'.

Or are the two refs behind the goals just there to see if the ball crosses/doesn't cross the line in controversial circumstances. It seems a lot of money to pay out for such a rare occurence.

On the other hand , incompetent & weak refereeing is robbing teams virtually very week.

Yeh, this could be just lip service to make it appear that the authorities are taking action.............just like the new bigot-catcher lassie at Ibrox, who gets every 2nd Saturday off by the look of it :eek:

Anyway, surely all that most of us are asking is to have a look at it and see if it might be possible to integrate TV without 'ruining' the game. Jings, it might even take some pressure off the refs, whose job is 'hard enough' they keep telling us ?

As you say, the goal line / 18yd box is not necessarily where the game defining decisions are being made. The classic example was last week's with Boruc of course. Is it sheer coincidence that in this instance the Ref had NO PROBLEM adjudicating from 40 yds away and DID NOT feel the need to defer to OR EVEN consult his colleague, who was a mere 10-15 yds away and able to see both players 'collide' much more clearly ?

Needless to say of course ( IMO ) the refs view just happened to favour the OF player :( .........unlike McCurry who, while having a good view of proceedings, CHOSE to take that of his assistants at Ibrox rather than offer his own - which would likely have condemned Davy Weir to an early bath

Now, in the case of Boruc's lunge and Scott McDonald's recent assault - play had already been stopped and a video ref would surely have had to bin both players. More importantly, all this could have taken place WITHOUT the game having to be halted specifically for it and without, ahem, 140 years of tradition being ruined :rolleyes: in the process

Those of us involved in 'grassroots' football will know that there is already a problem getting officials at some levels. Having 2 more officials per game will make this worse.

And if it's just to be at the top level - that's wrong. What makes football great is that it's the same game at all levels.

And as for TV evidence - anyone who watches rugby of either code, cricket or any other sport will know TV evidence creates as many problems as it solves.

The one thing I wouldn't mind seeing is a microchip-type thing in the ball to decide if the ball crosses the line or not that can transmit a to either the refs earpiece or a wee light to go on in the technical area so the 4th official (weegie bassa) can tell the ref (weegie bassa) that it was a goal.

Everything else, just leave it be.

Guest juvehearts

one thing i wouldnt mind is for live TV games only the ref's mic to be avaiable to hear.

what he say's to his linesmen & how the players react to his whistle & comments.

be very interesting.

IIRC the BBC did a thing like this 2 seasons ago invloving Ian Brines.

one of his games was the victory at Motherwell where kingston scored.

Go to Parkhead or Ibrox and you will find they have been experimenting with 60,000/50,000 'officials' making a decision every week. The GFA thinks this works successfully.

Archived