Tommi Gronlund

Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC

Tommi Gronlund.

What a player. What I would give for a Gronlund in our midfield now. He would fit in perfectly.

Always gave 100% for the cause and was hard as nails.

I would LOVE it if he came out for the half time draw one week. Who deals with this stuff? Can we get it arranged?

I can't find any info on him ... what happened to him after Hearts?

_38068429_gronlundcelebrate150.jpg

He's a proper 'cult hero'

Get him back for a Tynecastle welcome!

Tommi Gronlund.

What a player. What I would give for a Gronlund in our midfield now. He would fit in perfectly.

I would LOVE it if he came out for the half time draw one week. Who deals with this stuff? Can we get it arranged?

he was a good player for us but would he really improve our midfield right now?

would brellier for that matter?, and we all know how some people still pine away like greyfriars bobby for him.

no... we are not bad as we are in midfield.

Tommi Gronlund.

Not sure what happened after Hearts but he was a great player.

Was brought to fill in the midfield gap left by Cameron and although he was a completely different type of player he did a great job for us.

I remember him scoring a couple of absolute screamers at Tynie.

would brellier for that matter?, and we all know how some people still pine away like greyfriars bobby for him.

I reckon he is the type of player we need to replace Karipidis in midfield.

He would add a bit of bite and drive to a pretty good but lightweight midfield.

I'm not suggesting we sign him BTW, just saying I would like a player of his ilk.

Always liked Tommi, don't know what happened to him though

Cracking wee terrier in the midfield, better player than Brellier as there was also an end product

Not sure what happened after Hearts but he was a great player.

Was brought to fill in the midfield gap left by Cameron and although he was a completely different type of player he did a great job for us.

I remember him scoring a couple of absolute screamers at Tynie.

I can only remember one of his goals and it was a belter. I think it was a half volley from the edge of the box, possibly against Killie.

My memories pish when it comes to stuff like this!

Drylaw Hearts

We need a hardman in CM to take a game by the scruff of the neck.

A Brellier type player who can pass the ball would be ideal.

Tommi was great.

He'd slot into Karpidis' position, we could move Kari back to centre half and Zal onto the bench.

yes but that's another issue, that's replacing a midfielder and also changing the defence... which is something else entirely.

straight swap.... gronlund for karipidis, not necessarily an improvement i would say.

I can only remember one of his goals and it was a belter. I think it was a half volley from the edge of the box, possibly against Killie.

My memories pish when it comes to stuff like this!

If memories correct it was away to Kille in a 3-3 draw where we came back from 3-1 down, Elvis and Mahe scored that day too

Another goal was a strike across the keeper v Aberdeen at Tynie similar to Elliots v Dunfermline in the LC last season

Did he get one against Mwell when Fuller scored imho the best goal I have seen by a Hearts player.

Made Drivers goal yesterday look like a mere scuff at the ball. ;)

Did he get one against Mwell when Fuller scored imho the best goal I have seen by a Hearts player.

Made Drivers goal yesterday look like a mere scuff at the ball. ;)

Think I recall that as well.

Would love to see that Fuller goal again if anyone can get a link!

I would pay good money to see that again.

The Old Tolbooth

I'll tell you what's improving our midfield right now, Stewart being suspended!

I cant be the only person who thinks that we played a lot better without Stewart in there yesterday can I?

Also, I would love to see a Gronlund type player in there right now because every midfield needs a player with bite, a hatchet man so to speak.

I'll tell you what's improving our midfield right now, Stewart being suspended!

I cant be the only person who thinks that we played a lot better without Stewart in there yesterday can I?

Also, I would love to see a Gronlund type player in there right now because every midfield needs a player with bite, a hatchet man so to speak.

as a club, our relationship with the refereeing fraternity isn't cosy enough for us to afford a 'hatchet man'.

we had a kind of hatchet man in brellier and he picked up an awful lot of bookings.

if we had a hatchet man he would be a part-time hatchet man 'cos he would be suspended half the time.

The Old Tolbooth
as a club, our relationship with the refereeing fraternity isn't cosy enough for us to afford a 'hatchet man'.

we had a kind of hatchet man in brellier and he picked up an awful lot of bookings.

if we had a hatchet man he would be a part-time hatchet man 'cos he would be suspended half the time.

Sadly, your spot on mate :sad:

He was a good, if slightly limited player who gave his all for the jersey in what was a pretty poor Hearts side (2001/02).

I absolutely loved his goal against the mutton molesters.

Buffalo Bill

Its hard to believe he only played for us for just over half a season

A complete legend.

Never bottled a single challenge.

Tommi Gronlund.

I got to know Tommi a little bit when he was here ( kids in the same class ). He was gutted when he was told he wasn't being kept on at Hearts. I lost touch when he went home.

Very effective player when he was here and loved to get his shorts dirty as I recall. We could certainly do with someone of his ilk in midfield, however I recall Csaba saying he likes a defensive midfielder with some height and abilty to head the ball. Probably a wise idea with the amount of high balls in the SPL. Someone that is 6 foot plus with Gronlund's characteristics would be great please Santa (preferably that big monster Ingelar that was playing for Holland in the summer)...

He left because Levein needed to shake things up, and severe cut backs had to be made too. Perhaps Levein felt (correctly) that Severin was ready to make his mark in midfield for 02/03.

The end of 01/02 season was pretty lame, and we lost our fourth game of the season to flippin' Livingston.

We said goodbye to Fulton, Adam, Flogel, Gronlund and maybe one or two others that day.

Buffalo Bill

Just checked his age

Born 09 December 1969

Tommi was a great competitor and he could appear from almost nowhere to slide through and take the ball of someone's toe !

I think his age was maybe against him when it came to axing staff under Levein though :sad:

Scored a rare goal ( daisy cutter iirc ) against somebody at Tynie and he was clearly thrilled to bits ...............as was most of the crowd since he was a great wee trier and well loved.

Clearly our coaching ( Csaba excused for now ) scouting, and transfer policy has been a farce these last 2-3 years. However even before that we didn't often pick up on guys like Tommi.........and for the 3rd best payers in the Scottish game that's a disgrace.

Its hard to believe he only played for us for just over half a season

A complete legend.

Never bottled a single challenge.

Ooops there goes that "legend" spin.

Jim Cruikshank, Donald Ford, John Robertson, John Colquhoun, Stephane Adam, Colin Cameron.....Legends

Tommi Gronland.......limited footballer who gave 100% for a couple of seasons.

Just checked his age

Born 09 December 1969

Tommi was a great competitor and he could appear from almost nowhere to slide through and take the ball of someone's toe !

I think his age was maybe against him when it came to axing staff under Levein though :sad:Scored a rare goal ( daisy cutter iirc ) against somebody at Tynie and he was clearly thrilled to bits ...............as was most of the crowd since he was a great wee trier and well loved.

Clearly our coaching ( Csaba excused for now ) scouting, and transfer policy has been a farce these last 2-3 years. However even before that we didn't often pick up on guys like Tommi.........and for the 3rd best payers in the Scottish game that's a disgrace.

Meanwhile Levein kept the likes of Simmons, Sloan, Hamill on the pay role!:rolleyes:

It's funny how average players can gain hero status just by trying and throwing themselves into tackles, and as the years go by folk look back and think they were better than what they actually were. This is probably why Robbie Neilson will be revered as Hearts greatest ever fullback after he retires.

Gronlund was a decent player but no more than that, and would not improve the team at the moment, as Stewart and Jonsson are both better players. Actually Salvatori and Tomacheck were both better players as well. Gronlund would be a strange choice if you were choosing to bring a former player back.

Ooops there goes that "legend" spin.

Jim Cruikshank, Donald Ford, John Robertson, John Colquhoun, Stephane Adam, Colin Cameron.....Legends

Tommi Gronland.......limited footballer who gave 100% for a couple of seasons.

It was actually 3/4's of a season :):):):):)

Tommi Grunland...the kit mans worst nightmare, i have never seen a player so fond of a slide tackle.

I thought Grunland was great back then. total commitment...every team needs this type of player

I agree with Cult hero status

Drylaw Hearts
Tommi Grunland...the kit mans worst nightmare, i have never seen a player so fond of a slide tackle.

I thought Grunland was great back then. total commitment...every team needs this type of player

I would say he was on a level par with Dave McCreery.

Johanes de Silentio

I'm a huge admirer of wee Tommi - think he went back to Finland - must be retired by now - I think he only scored twice? Wasn't one of them against Livi?

Great player!

If memories correct it was away to Kille in a 3-3 draw where we came back from 3-1 down, Elvis and Mahe scored that day too

He did score that day, although I'm pretty sure it wasn't a half-volley and it definitely took a massive deflection.

One of my favourite ever Hearts games that. Mahe going mental and giving it the 'up yours' to the five Killie fans after he scored, Marshall's kamikaze assault on Graham Weir and the equaliser by Gronlund. Great day.

He was a good, if slightly limited player who gave his all for the jersey in what was a pretty poor Hearts side (2001/02).

I absolutely loved his goal against the mutton molesters.

Buffalo Bill

Would that be the goal me and my mate still talk about as a shot in slow motion.

It was like watching the Matrix and it somehow ended right in the corner.

Psycho in the tackle but 99% was perfectly clean with taking the ball which is just as well had he missed one then red cards would have been issued for the sheer pace he would come into a tackle.

Gave us good service as a player and would be welcomed back.

He left because Levein needed to shake things up, and severe cut backs had to be made too. Perhaps Levein felt (correctly) that Severin was ready to make his mark in midfield for 02/03.

The end of 01/02 season was pretty lame, and we lost our fourth game of the season to flippin' Livingston.

We said goodbye to Fulton, Adam, Flogel, Gronlund and maybe one or two others that day.

Buffalo Bill

Levein was forced to axe about half the squad for various reasons including staleness and finances.

The next season we were installed as one of the favourites to be right down at the bottom.

He signed Valois, Twaddle, De Vries, Maybury, And laterly Stamp to try and replace them and brought through youngsters like Webster and McMullen.

Kirk also returned from long term injury.

And the rest is history.

Tommi joined Swedish club Helsingborg when he left Hearts in 2002.

After two seasons (39 games and 1 goal) he moved on to HJK (Makela's club) in 2004 where he lasted 12 games and then retired at the end of that season.

I still have fond memories of his slide tackles.

Frankenstein Jambo.

Good, but vastly over rated by many hearts fans.

He done the job asked of him, nothing spectacular and nothing pretty, but he got the job done by filling in the hole left by the attacking players.

Unfortunately 75% of his slide tackles were as a result of his first touch!!! I can only assume anybody referring to Tommy Grondlund as a 'legend' must have been around 10yrs old whilst watching him.

To say the guy had limited ability truly is being kind. He could have swopped heads with Stewart MacLaren or Dave McCreery and nobody would have known the difference. But then I suppose it's down to the individual fan, I've never really seen the benefit of any player who spends more time on his 4rse than on his feet.

Mckena and fuller got the other goals that day.

grondland didnt sign till january

It's funny how average players can gain hero status just by trying and throwing themselves into tackles, and as the years go by folk look back and think they were better than what they actually were. This is probably why Robbie Neilson will be revered as Hearts greatest ever fullback after he retires.

Gronlund was a decent player but no more than that, and would not improve the team at the moment, as Stewart and Jonsson are both better players. Actually Salvatori and Tomacheck were both better players as well. Gronlund would be a strange choice if you were choosing to bring a former player back.

I'm not suggesting we bring anyone back.

I'm simply remembering one of my favourite players. Is that OK?

I can start a thread about Pat McGinley or something if you want? :rolleyes:

Archived