Hearts 'Legends'

i8hibsh

Possibly the most over used word in the world, however it is a term that can accurately describe some players in our 134 year history.

What is the criteria?

I'd go for what they achieved in the team, how many games played, goals scored, how they were with the fans and what they did for the brand.

I'll give you 5

Steven Pressley (we all know how i feel about him now BUT he was a legend in his time)

Robbo - obviously

Gary Mackay - games played, die hard Jambo, devoted his life to us and still sings and cheers as loud as anyone

Stephane Adam - winning goal in a cup final and a good few seasons of outstanding displays

Craig Gordon - our best ever keeper, top keeper in Britain, Hearts daft and earned us a cool ?9 million.

who else and why?

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Not that I ever seen him play but I'm pretty sure most of the older supporters would have Dave Mackay up there.

For sure.

Before my time but never heard one bard word spoken about him

His Sky sports quote a few years back is good enough for me

Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC

The legends thing is always a tough one.

I always hear people say 'he's a scottish cup winner so he is a Hearts legend'

I'm not sure I agree with that. So Ibby Tall and Jose Goncalves are legends?

Hmmmm.

Not sure I agree with Craig Gordon to be honest. Absolutely brilliant player but he wasn't here long enough/never achieved enough to be called a legend.

Hmmmm.

Not sure I agree with Craig Gordon to be honest. Absolutely brilliant player but he wasn't here long enough/never achieved enough to be called a legend.

Suppose it's more what a legend means to you. I can understand Gordon not being one but he is to me for sure.

Wayne Foster will always be loved for 'that goal' but I'd neevr call him a Hearts legend

Does Zibi count as a Hearts legend you think?

Steven Pressley

:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

A vile, odious, slimy individual. He can never be bracketed with true legends such as Bauld and Busby.

I would include Craig Gordon for his marvelous displays and breathtaking saves in the time he played for us. Add to that he is a Jambo who came through the club as a kid, he played blinders in Europe. Scotland's #1 whilst a Hearts player.

Then there's the huge fee we recieved for him and that despite he has left the club, the fans still feel he is an ambassador for the club. The cup win also backs the legend claim :)

A vile, odious, slimy individual. He can never be bracketed with true legends such as Bauld and Busby.

Well I am afraid he hs been 'bracketed with true legends such as Bauld and Busby' by the majority of the Hearts supporters (and the club).

Hmmmm.

Craig Gordon is a legend imo.

Boyhood fan, played his heart out for a good few years, won a Scottish Cup and bagged the club a superb transfer fee.

Hearts Heritage

See our list of some Hearts heroes here.

Stephane Adam did a legendary act but not a legend as a Player.

Dave MacKay is a football legend he is more famous/well known for what he achieved after he left Hearts.

Suppose it's more what a legend means to you. I can understand Gordon not being one but he is to me for sure.

Wayne Foster will always be loved for 'that goal' but I'd neevr call him a Hearts legend

Does Zibi count as a Hearts legend you think?

Zibi should have a supporters club named after him.

A bit like when Hibs got relegated in 98 we named a supporters club after Kjell Olllafson the Dundee Utd player who scored the goals to put them down.

I have no time for the guy now but his 8 years at the club are good enough for me.

I don't class him as anything now - he is nothing to me

Well I am afraid he hs been 'bracketed with true legends such as Bauld and Busby' by the majority of the Hearts supporters

Source?

Eldar Hadzimehmedovic

Even like this?

pressleys19930807ghley5.th.jpg

You just have to look at some of the names that play for 'Hearts Legends' for examples of the miss use of the word 'legend'.

Exactly Max Christie????? wtf

Anyone got a list of the players who played in the last legends game?

I have no time for the guy now but his 8 years at the club are good enough for me.

I don't class him as anything now - he is nothing to me

Is this your criteria as to what makes a legend?

Is Neilson a legend? More than 8yrs at the club and a cup winner.

Is this your criteria as to what makes a legend?

Is Neilson a legend? More than 8yrs at the club and a cup winner.

It is what he did in the 8 years.

Heart on sleave and all that

Charlie-Brown

Players who actually played regularly for a decade or more IN THE FIRST TEAM would qualify for the term legend in my opinion.

Eldar Hadzimehmedovic
Players who actually played regularly for a decade or more IN THE FIRST TEAM would qualify for the term legend in my opinion.

Neilson?;)

Charlie-Brown
Neilson?;)

No he doesn't qualify yet - he's only been a first team regular since about 2002 which is only 6 years.

51 Shirts -Moments in Time

As long as these guys are playing a game of football, entertaining the public and raising money for good causes, I would give them some leeway on the 'legends' bracket ..its more for marketing use, than actual fan status....:)

JJ

Legends in the modern era

John Robertson

John Colquhoun

Gary Mackay

Antti Niemi

Stephen Pressley (though I respect one of the reasons others will feel differently - but not the other)

Close but not quite

Craig Gordon

Colin Cameron

Craig Levein

Great servants to the club, but not legends

Thomas Flogel

Gary Naysmith

Paul Hartley

Did a legendary thing, but not a legend

Stephane Adam

Robbie Nielson

Cult heroes, but not legends

Pasquale Bruno

Scott Crabbe

Rudolph Skacel

Charlie-Brown

John Robertson

John Colquhoun

Gary Mackay

Antti Niemi

Stephen Pressley (though I respect one of the reasons others will feel differently - but not the other)

Close but not quite

Craig Gordon

Colin Cameron

Craig Levein

Thomas Flogel

Gary Naysmith

Paul Hartley

Stephane Adam

Robbie Nielson

Pasquale Bruno

Scott Crabbe

Rudolph Skacel

Shaun your having a laugh with Niemi - Henry Smith yes, Cruikshank yes - Niemi was a terrific player for us but nowhere near Hearts Legend status - sorry! :)

As long as these guys are playing a game of football, entertaining the public and raising money for good causes, I would give them some leeway on the 'legends' bracket ..its more for marketing use, than actual fan status....:)

JJ

Fair enough and it's good that they play for a good cause but i know of at least one who has never played for hearts.

Eldar Hadzimehmedovic

John Robertson

John Colquhoun

Gary Mackay

Antti Niemi

Close but not quite

Craig Gordon

Colin Cameron

Craig Levein

Thomas Flogel

Gary Naysmith

Paul Hartley

Stephane Adam

Robbie Nielson

Pasquale Bruno

Scott Crabbe

Rudolph Skacel

Nice list, but....

McPherson? Henry Smith? And no Foster in the legendary thing category...

Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC

John Robertson

John Colquhoun

Gary Mackay

Antti Niemi

Close but not quite

Craig Gordon

Colin Cameron

Craig Levein

Thomas Flogel

Gary Naysmith

Paul Hartley

Stephane Adam

Robbie Nielson

Pasquale Bruno

Scott Crabbe

Rudolph Skacel

I'd say Levein is a legend if you take his time as manager into account.

Eldar Hadzimehmedovic
No he doesn't qualify yet - he's only been a first team regular since about 2002 which is only 6 years.

Pretty sure he's been playing regularly since about 2000. Did he not play against Stuttgart.

And no, I'm joking about him being a legend. He's just too average.

Shaun your having a laugh with Niemi - Henry Smith yes, Cruikshank yes - Niemi was a terrific player for us but nowhere near Hearts Legend status - sorry! :)

Smith, no. I've included Niemi because, with the possible exception of a fully fit Levein, he's the only world class player to have played for us in the last several decades; he carried himself impeccably throughout; and like Naysmith, no controversy at all surrounded his move.

My definition of the word legend would be someone who gave far more to the club than he ever took back. A player who could have achieved either more money/prestige elsewhere but stuck with the club. Someone who viewed the club as more than just an employer.

Take Pressley for example - a Hearts great no doubt, a cup winning captain, passionate about the club - but not a legend for me. His career was stagnant until he joined Hearts and whilst he was a solid centre half, he was not without his flaws. It's unlikely he could have played at a higher level than Hearts. So i'd say the generous wages we gave him and the platform we allowed him would even up with what he did for the club. I'd be expecting a lot more from a legend.

Nice list, but....

McPherson? Henry Smith? And no Foster in the legendary thing category...

Don't think Slim quite makes it I'm afraid; and Smith certainly doesn't. Fozzie was an omission though: he could be included in either the legendary thing or cult heroes category!

Miller Jambo 60
Possibly the most over used word in the world, however it is a term that can accurately describe some players in our 134 year history.

What is the criteria?

I'd go for what they achieved in the team, how many games played, goals scored, how they were with the fans and what they did for the brand.

I'll give you 5

Steven Pressley (we all know how i feel about him now BUT he was a legend in his time)

Robbo - obviously

Gary Mackay - games played, die hard Jambo, devoted his life to us and still sings and cheers as loud as anyone

Stephane Adam - winning goal in a cup final and a good few seasons of outstanding displays

Craig Gordon - our best ever keeper, top keeper in Britain, Hearts daft and earned us a cool ?9 million.

who else and why?

Robbo ,Gary and Craig with a bit of stampie put in just for shafting the hobos in the last min.

Elvis if he says sorry.

Gary is my no 1 for the fact he has time for fans like me.

And he buys his round .

Eldar Hadzimehmedovic
Don't think Slim quite makes it I'm afraid; and Smith certainly doesn't. Fozzie was an omission though: he could be included in either the legendary thing or cult heroes category!

Fair enough. I would have Smith and McPherson in the second or third lists in your post. I would also have John Millar shoe-horned in somewhere.;)

You also forgot Colin Cramb.

Charlie-Brown
Smith, no. I've included Niemi because, with the possible exception of a fully fit Levein, he's the only world class player to have played for us in the last several decades; he carried himself impeccably throughout; and like Naysmith, no controversy at all surrounded his move.

Only Gary MacKay and John Robertson played more games for Hearts than either Henry Smith or Jim Cruikshank who between them kept goal for Hearts in 1126 games over 500+ games each - If anybody thinks those 2 men are not Hearts Legends then the term is utterly meaningless and not even worth debating. :o

Only Gary MacKay and John Robertson played more games for Hearts than either Henry Smith or Jim Cruikshank who between them kept goal for Hearts in 1126 games over 500+ games each - If anybody thinks those 2 men are not Hearts Legends then the term is utterly meaningless and not even worth debating. :o

Sorry, I don't agree. At the Dundee League Cup quarter-final (the 4-4 game, I mean), what was alarming was how many involved had played way back in 85/6. In some cases, they were still quality - but others were part of a side who for off-field reasons had been allowed to go well past their sell-by date in an old, declining team. Smith was brilliant in 85/6, and on other occasions afterwards; but far, far too often, he was a bombscare, and remained in the team only because we didn't have anyone better.

Fair enough. I would have Smith and McPherson in the second or third lists in your post. I would also have John Millar shoe-horned in somewhere.;)

You also forgot Colin Cramb.

I see your John Millar, and raise you a Neil Berry. :)

remained in the team only because we didn't have anyone better.

Couldn't you say that of virtually every Hearts player since we were formed? :)

Heh! I was thinking that as I wrote it! But you know what I mean: he was going backwards in a team allowed to go backwards - and I don't think he was good enough for long enough to justify being included as a legend.

Charlie-Brown
Sorry, I don't agree. At the Dundee League Cup quarter-final, what was alarming was how many involved had played way back in 85/6. In some cases, they were still quality - but others were part of a side who for off-field reasons had been allowed to go well past their sell by date in an old, declining team. Smith was brilliant in 85/6, and on other occasions afterwards; but far, far too often, he was a bombscare, and remained in the team only because we didn't have anyone better.

Shaun - it's not often I disagree with you on actual footballing matters but in this instance - sorry you are talking complete bollox - Nicky Walker won international caps when he was at Hearts so it is wrong to say Henry had no competition - we could have signed replacements for him at any time as we replaced defenders, midfielders, strikers - the reason we didn't was because for the most part he was a top quality goalkeeper for us and the reason we didn't have anyone better is because in the SPL at that time very few were actually better....if Gary MacKay is a Hearts legend then I'm sorry Henry must be too - their Hearts careers were almost perfectly concurrent.

Dave with respect, you have a few years on me - who is your all time Hearts legend?

Sorry, I don't agree. At the Dundee League Cup quarter-final (the 4-4 game, I mean), what was alarming was how many involved had played way back in 85/6. In some cases, they were still quality - but others were part of a side who for off-field reasons had been allowed to go well past their sell-by date in an old, declining team. Smith was brilliant in 85/6, and on other occasions afterwards; but far, far too often, he was a bombscare, and remained in the team only because we didn't have anyone better.

Was that the game where Smith put the penalty past the post?.If it is i don't remember him pulling on a hearts jersey after that?.

Shaun - it's not often I disagree with you on actual footballing matters but in this instance - sorry you are talking complete bollox - Nicky Walker won international caps when he was at Hearts so it is wrong to say Henry had no competition - we could have signed replacements for him at any time as we replaced defenders, midfielders, strikers - the reason we didn't was because for the most part he was a top quality goalkeeper for us and the reason we didn't have anyone better is because in the SPL at that time very few were actually better....if Gary MacKay is a Hearts legend then I'm sorry Henry must be too - their Hearts careers were almost perfectly concurrent.

But Mackay was a very good player for a long time. Smith made so many mistakes it was ridiculous: many think he was never the same after the 88 semi-final, yet he stayed in the team for another seven and more years! I think he should've been replaced circa 92/3 myself.

Dave with respect, you have a few years on me - who is your all time Hearts legend?

I think we all focus on our recent living memories. I would imagine that players that I never saw play like Dave Mackay, Tommy Walker, Bobby Walker etc... probably merit it on their reputation. Of those that I have seen over the last 40 or so years I would probably plump for Robbo. I'm sure I could convince myself of a case for others though If I thought long and hard about it. :)

Eldar Hadzimehmedovic

Probably controversial as hell but we've only ever had just over a handful of genuine "legends" if the phrase is to mean anything. And John Robertson is the only one in the past 50 years.

Eldar Hadzimehmedovic
Was that the game where Smith put the penalty past the post?.If it is i don't remember him pulling on a hearts jersey after that?.

I think it was the last time he touched a ball for Hearts. Good trivia question that.

I think it was the last time he touched a ball for Hearts. Good trivia question that.

His last touch was with his slippers as far as I could make out. :cool_shades:

Archived