Your favourite "forgotten" moment???

Walter Bishop

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Jimmy Bone, warming up, trackside in the days of the perimeter fences.

Stops and holds onto the fence to catch his breath.

Hilarity ensued.

Never quite worked out if he was kidding or not.

baggio at fester road,booked for being ugly,normally laugh at the hobos anyway,this made me laugh even more:107years:

:hobofish:

bigis semiauskas

Semi Final of Scottish Cup at Hampden V Dundee Utd

Even though it was the 86 season,

JC's volley was unbelieveable,one of the few things i can remember from a trip to Hampden,(cant remember the score though)

watching it later on TV he looked close to tears with the thoughts running through his mind,

we all thought the same.

Not sure if it's been mentioned, but Skacel's reaction when he scored the goal in Burley's first SPL home game - 4-0 beating of Hibs.

Fantastic ;):)

Henry missing a penalty in the shoot out against Dundee (can't remember if it was S/C or L/C). That night a couple of youngsters ran our defense ragged- McCann and Hamilton. This was Henry's last Hearts game I think!

What a positive thred

1. Henry Smith's remarkable save from Tommy Coyne at Tyney against Selltick from 91. Awesome grevity defying stuff.

2. Kevin Thomas's first goal for Hearts on his debut in 1992 against Falkirk at Tyney. Chested it down and belted it on the volley with his right foot. Beauty.

3. Takis Fyssas and Rudi Skacil's battering of Rainjerz in a first half down the left when we took the lead through Bednar. Pretty sure both went off injured at half-time, and it wasn't as easy in the second half, but we held on.

4. Takis Fyssas with a phenomenal Ronaldinho-like piece of skill in the corner at the Gorgie End/Main Stand side against Dunfermline in 2006. Quality.

5. John Colquhoun's goal against Selltick in 86 (I think) from a mile out past Bonner.

6. Alan McLaren being hit by a coin by Hibs bar-stewards in 94 when he horsed them at Easter Road.

Its been a long time baby
Was Wallace not being interviewed after the game and said something along the lines of 'and here's some more good news for the Hearts supporters, we re-signed John Robertson from Newcastle United tonight'.

Certainly knew how to milk something old Wallace.

I phoned up Hearts club call (few will mind that) last thing at night to see if it was really true, I didnt put the phone done as heard my mum and dad wake up and bolted back to my room! They found out 6 hours later when my mum came down to see the phone off the hook and telling her that Robertson had signed for Hearts! Safe to say I was on time for school that day (Was out the window before she came to my room)

Paisley Jambo

Winning 4 - 0 at Boghead in April 1983 to secure a return to the Premier League.:)

Beating Rangers 3 - 1 at Tynecastle early on in season 1983 - 84. :)

Remember a couple Fat Mixu trying to be a smart erse with a penalty against us at er trying a wee daft chip. Ball ended up on top of the net and the 600 Jambos including myself who got tickets that night were ****ing themselves laughing.

Also remember being up at Aberdeen down 1-0 with 5 mins left. Allan Johnston scored and then colqhoun scored the winner in the last minute. What a bus journey home that was. Stopped at the Stag Inn in forfar And we were dancing about blotto drunk in the pub. The locals must have thought we had won the league or something. Great memories

Simmons beauty of an equaliser against Rangers with ten minutes to go. Can't quite remember the season but it was the first game of the 'Kevin McKenna = striker' experiment who opened the scoring in the first 15 minutes - he would later score a more famous goal up front for the JTs ;).

Mikoliunas to Cesnauskis, flick down the line for Mikoliunas, first time cross into box, back-heel by Bednar, smashed into the far corner past Langfield by Pinilla. Absolutely brilliant goal.

Gary McSwegan breaking his long scoring duct for Hearts at home to Kilmarnock in 1999. The roar like Tynecastle made it sound as if we'd won the cup (again :)). Of course, in typical 'wait 15 mins for bus then 2 come at once style' Gary then doubled our lead before we conspired to throw it all away in a 2-2 draw.

McSwegan getting a hat-trick early the next season at home to Aberdeen. Always had fond memories for me as it was on my birthday.

Pressley's late penalty winner that gave us our first win at Easter Road since they returned to the 'big league' :P. A couple of days earlier a Hibs fan had tried to tell me that was to be the start of 'their 22 in a row' - no ****ing chance.

The previous 92 minutes of the Hearts v Rangers 'Andy Davis' game. Chesney and Miko tore them a new arse that game. They two working off Lee Miller was great to watch and it was very strange Robbo never went back to that after Miko's suspension was completed.

The 96' Cup Final dress rehearsal. A rare beauty from Neil Pointon gave us a deserved first half lead. We were hanging on a bit at the end when Allan Johnston (he's done it again) popped up to finish the game off.

It was only the diddy cup though. ;)

One game that I sometimes think gets forgotten but certainly shouldn't be: Magic Johnston's hat trick at Ibrox. The last time we won there in a completely 'live' situation, and a stunning result against a quality side.

It was indeed. Freezing cold in the bottom right of the Broomloan Road end.

Correct me if im wrong but were Juventus only the other team to win at Ibrox that season?

Correct me if im wrong but were Juventus only the other team to win at Ibrox that season?

Think we were the only other team to beat Rangers home and away, see my above post (last memory) for the other game that season.

Simmons beauty of an equaliser against Rangers with ten minutes to go. Can't quite remember the season but it was the first game of the 'Kevin McKenna = striker' experiment who opened the scoring in the first 15 minutes - he would later score a more famous goal up front for the JTs ;).

Mikoliunas to Cesnauskis, flick down the line for Mikoliunas, first time cross into box, back-heel by Bednar, smashed into the far corner past Langfield by Pinilla. Absolutely brilliant goal.

Gary McSwegan breaking his long scoring duct for Hearts at home to Kilmarnock in 1999. The roar like Tynecastle made it sound as if we'd won the cup (again :)). Of course, in typical 'wait 15 mins for bus then 2 come at once style' Gary then doubled our lead before we conspired to throw it all away in a 2-2 draw.

McSwegan getting a hat-trick early the next season at home to Aberdeen. Always had fond memories for me as it was on my birthday.

Pressley's late penalty winner that gave us our first win at Easter Road since they returned to the 'big league' :P. A couple of days earlier a Hibs fan had tried to tell me that was to be the start of 'their 22 in a row' - no ****ing chance.

The previous 92 minutes of the Hearts v Rangers 'Andy Davis' game. Chesney and Miko tore them a new arse that game. They two working off Lee Miller was great to watch and it was very strange Robbo never went back to that after Miko's suspension was completed.

The 96' Cup Final dress rehearsal. A rare beauty from Neil Pointon gave us a deserved first half lead. We were hanging on a bit at the end when Allan Johnston (he's done it again) popped up to finish the game off.

McSwegan gets a pretty rough time on here, I actually thought he did a good job for us and is arguably the last real goalscorer we've had at Hearts.

Think it was the same season as the 3-1 game v celtic when Smith made the wonder save from Coyne,when we went to Parkhead and scored 2 in a minute. Spongebob squareheid pulled 1 back late on but we held on. Delerium. John Millar scored one,cant remember the other. Magic though:)

Think we were the only other team to beat Rangers home and away, see my above post (last memory) for the other game that season.

Yes,thats it mate. IIRC , it was a cracking ball from Mackay and Johnston brushed off Gough(who was still in his prime) as if he wasnt there and slammed it home. Great memories.

I remember us playing Falkirk at Brockville in the late 80s. Got in the ground 5 mins late and we were up 2-0.

Home and away, as FJ said. Hibs also won at Ibrox early doors; their next visit there, though, was seriously amusing... :)

jack D and coke
We all remember Foster at eater road,Ferguson v Bayern munich,Hartley's hat-trick and all of Robbo's goals v Wimbledon.

Do you have a favourite goal/game/save that sticks in your head but you've never heard about it in the same way as those listed above?

One of my favourite goals was v Aberdeen at Tynecastle around late 80`s early 90`s, Big Slim 30 yard freekick against Theo snelders, im sure robbo and Gary mackay were involved before rolling it across the park for Mcpherson to leather home!!!!

Wednesday night game? Mackay rolled it to Robbo or vice versa i cant remember, somebody else prepared to hit it then Robbo backheeled it for slim to strike a glorious shot from 30 yards into the corner! That the one? Was a f***** pearler!

Another one i remember is the sheep again midweek in the 97-98 season when Naismith scored a ripper in a 3-1 win. I was in the main stand and looking right down the barrel as it left his boot. Was a goal aw the way! Belter!

Excellent choices, FJ! My comments interspersed with yours:

Believe it or not, that was our first point of any description against either half of the uglies in the previous 36 available! It was our only one that season and for most of the following one too (meaning we'd taken 1 point from 23 games at one point :eek:), before Austin McCann at last put things right. The OF have never been as far ahead as they were during that time. We also went 2nd that day - but it didn't last, as 01/2 slid rapidly downhill over the next few months.

Ah yes - the day that convinced me that, contrary to popular wisdom, a lot of Kickbackers really know what they are talking about. We'd been on such a horrific run, losing 2-0 seemingly every week and going bottom at Dens a fortnight earlier, that many of us thought we were dead and gone. Tuning into the wireless, when I heard we'd chucked a two goal lead away, it just seemed like another everyday tale of relegation folk.

But on KB, people were so positive, so optimistic: really believing the corner had been turned. And they were dead right: Tannadice three nights later, where we hadn't won in donkeys' years, was the scene of a massive 3-1 win, and suddenly, we were on the march. I'll never understand 98/9: how can a side look such certs for the drop one minute, then end the season so brilliantly it was almost like Autumn '97 again?

Scarily bad Dons side though: the worst I've ever seen. We won 3-0 in our sleep, in a fixture which was always very tough until the famous Dean Windass game two years earlier truly turned the tide. I still can't really fathom how Aberdeen got quite so bad, really. Always had a lot of time for McSwegan, mind: quite rare for a big centre forward to have such fragile confidence, which accounts for his problems settling in in 98/9.

Didn't Bruno start showboating and taking the **** that night? It was hilarious at the time, and together with reaching the final and qualifying for Europe, the best week the club had enjoyed in many years - but it came back to haunt him in the final!

After relegation 1st game of the following season-- Arbroath away (not the 7-0) -- we won 2-1 I think and Malcolm Robertson scored.

I was on holiday in Blackpool -- caught the train before 8am on the Sturday morning to Edinburgh then changed platforms for the 'special' to Arbroath.

Plus one other special game -- match v Partick Thistle away (another relegation loomed) played on the same day as Rangers v Celtic at Hampden Park when Alex Macdonald scored -- that match kicked off early and I attended both matches (missed part of our match).

Gav Aitchison
Nah different game - the one you're thinking about was when we were actually a goal up and Robbo was playing a blinder. Then for about the 4th time in the first 10 minutes Brian Irvine went right through him from the back - to this day I don't think Robbo meant to hit him with the ball but.....he did and he was off. Irvine? Not even a booking.

I think he maybe did... it's about 25 seconds in here:

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=8aZVSMNLvXM

Gav Aitchison

The two wins at McDiarmid Park in the 1996 cup runs were great nights, both live on TV I think. The Scottish Cup one in March was on a Thursday night, with McPherson and Lawrence getting the goals. Then the League Cup one six months later was when Robbo went in goals for the subs at half-time and was pulling off wonder save after wonder save. He then came on late in the game, and scored an extra-time winner into the same set of goals.

We had another great game there between Christmas and New Year in 91/2, when Hearts filled about three quarters of the ground and folk still had to stand on the grass embankment corners. Their keeper Lindsay Hamilton got sent off quite early on and we stuffed them 5-0.

Other ones?

Didn't Andy Walker put a penalty over the bar and out of the ground in a 0-0 draw with Celtic on Boxing Day one year?

Juanjo's crazy piece of skill on the corner flag against Dundee Utd, before curling a shot inches past.

Robbo's injury time equaliser at Easter Road (never over til the fat striker scores)

Another Foster belter, a few weeks after THAT one v the wee team... I think we lost 2-1 at home to a weakened Rangers team, but he hammered a screamer into the top corner.

Back in the 96 Scottish Cup run, Neil Berry's scrambled, deflected winner at Rugby Park when we had about 6,000 there.

Mid-seventies, the looks on latecomers faces when asking "what's the score?" and it was 2-2 against Aberdeen after 7 minutes, also the final score.

Hearts scored in the 4th and 5th minutes, Aberdeen in the 6th and 7th.

And we missed a penalty at 2-0 as well! Most amazing start to a game i ever saw.

Only a few of my friends and I'll know what the hell I'm talking about with this one.

06/07 season, Dunfermline at home. Owen Morrison comes to take a corner just at Section G and a big group of us start giving him dog's abuse. He looks up at us with a face saying 'What's all this for?', as he'd done bugger all all game and was a no-one even in the Dunfermline team.

Anyway, as is the football fans' way, he continued to get pelters right up until he swung in the corner from which Dunfermline went 1-0 up. Needless to say we fell deathly silent and Owen Morrison turns round to us, gives us the vickies on both hands and, honest to God, starts dancing a wee jig for about a minute, completely ignoring his team mates' celebrations.

One of the funniest things I've ever seen. Well done, Owen.

Travelling up to Aberdeen on a Wednesday night for the cup quarter replay in March 1985 and then being locked out of the Beach End. We were there an hour before kick-off, but there were no queues whatsoever just a continuous sway of bodies crushing against the walls, which some people managed to climb over. The closest I got to the turnstile was five yards before a huge counter surge pushed us backwards. Hundreds faced the same predicament and we were eventually coralled by the police with dogs back to the dunes, where we turned to see the ball soar into the night sky, before being shepherded back to the buses. :th_Rage2:

Archived