Maradona or Pele?

davemclaren

Who was the best?  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Who was the best?

Pele because part of being a great is playing to your best and showing consistently you're that cut above.

Ps hate to compare when I've never really seen pele and too young to have seen Maradona at his peak but I'm just going by what the history books tell us.

MacDonald Jardine
Pele because part of being a great is playing to your best and showing consistently you're that cut above.

Ps hate to compare when I've never really seen pele and too young to have seen Maradona at his peak but I'm just going by what the history books tell us.

I'm a bit young for Pele but Maradona more or less single handedly won the World Cup in 1986 and almost did the same in 1990.

Pele tended to play in better overall teams.

Pele was a great player, but well before my time..

Iv went for maradona, he scored one of the best goals ever in a world cup against ****land, well 2 if you count the hand of god hahaha..

eh? :rolleyes:

the poll did say Ple instead of Pele ... been fixed now, so looked like I was talking bollox... which I frequently do !

Maradona was the best - but Pele was the greatest. For those puzzled, I'd apply the same dichotomy to Joe Louis and Mohammad Ali.

Guest Fabuloso

I've played against both and I'd have to say while Pele was a great player he had a tendancy not to track back. Maradona on the other hand wasn't afraid to muck in when required therefore the chubby Argentinian gets my vote.

Pele without question.

The only player ive ever seen do everything well on the world class stage.

Even got to the stage of creating new things because he had done everything else.

No comparison.

Maradona was the best - but Pele was the greatest. For those puzzled, I'd apply the same dichotomy to Joe Louis and Mohammad Ali.

Shaun, life can be simple and straightforward......... :)

johnny the jambo

maradona was an amazing player who dragged his country through to win the world cup in 86, but pele was the greatest player in the 2 greatest teams ever to have played the game in 58 and 70 so he gets it for me

I've played against both and I'd have to say while Pele was a great player he had a tendancy not to track back. Maradona on the other hand wasn't afraid to muck in when required therefore the chubby Argentinian gets my vote.

I can't find a smilie to sum up how much that made me laugh!

Because of my age I'll go for Pele, but he was no Willie Gibson.

Shaun, life can be simple and straightforward......... :)

Yes. Er, I mean no. Well, maybe... ;)

Between these two it's Pele hands down. Overall though Georgie Best (pre Hibs - obviously) would have made them both look like Neil McFarlane.

Pele was before my time and haven't seen more than a few goals on TV for Brazil.

I've seen Maradona (on TV) for Napoli and country and I've never seen a better player dribbling past opponents.

His goals against England were a bonus of course. :cool:

Broxburn Jambo

Both were great players in their own eras, and I am in my 50s and saw both, but I voted for Maradona because he had success at both club and international football including being great in what was perceived to be the hardest league in the world at that time----Italy.

Maradona for me.

He won the world cup for Argentina.

Went to italy and won the league for a team that hadnt won it before.

If only JC hadnt put that shot wide ,he may have topped it all by playing at Tynecastle in the uefa cup semis.;)

maradona ,pele never played in europe and i don't think he could have influenced teams in spain and italy the way maradona did.

maradonas goal against england was the best of all time , his other goal against england when he beat about 10 men wasnt bad either.

Cappuccino Kid

El Diego. Not only taking mediocre Argentina sides to a World cup win in 86 and the final in 90. He also took unfashionable Napoli to heights they had never seen or probably will see again.

Say What Again

Maradona is by far the best player that has played the game in my lifetime.

I never saw Pele so Diego gets my vote.

Oh and Chick Young said 'it's not open for debate, it's Pele end of story - Maradona may make the top 3' (probably behind Ally McCoist :rolleyes: )

So definitely Diego. :)

Some years ago, Maradona was in England, en route to an Oxford Union debate he'd been invited to. While in London, he found the overground transport system as hopeless as usual, but was afraid to travel on the tube without donning a disguise. What would happen if someone recognised him, in England of all places? Sure enough, someone did: shook him by the hand, and asked for his autograph. Soon, everyone on the same train carriage did as well.

Maradona couldn't believe this - but English people, like anyone else, recognise genius, magic and extraordinary charisma when we see it. We're secretly very flattered that Maradona scored probably the greatest goal of all time against us. Even the simple act of lifting a 13 year-old ballboy at Celtic Park last night captured the world's attention: because he's an extraordinary man, capable of incredible things; and the ballboy will no doubt remember it for ever.

One thing though. Maradona didn't just cheat on the field against England; he cheated by using performance enhancing drugs as well. If I mentioned the words "Linford Christie", or even "Ben Johnson", what would people respond with? Olympic Champion? Or disgraced drug cheat?

Preston Jambo

Only two players have come close to single handedly win the world cup.

Garrincha in 62 & Mardona in 86.

Maradona also won their only Italian League title for Napoli when it was arguably the best league in the world.

Maradona!

One thing though. Maradona didn't just cheat on the field against England; he cheated by using performance enhancing drugs as well. If I mentioned the words "Linford Christie", or even "Ben Johnson", what would people respond with? Olympic Champion? Or disgraced drug cheat?

Correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't his first ban solely for cocaine? I've always argued that people that are caught using recreational drugs shouldn't be banned as they aren't cheating. They're giving their opponants an advantage. If this is the case he may of been free of performance enhancing drugs during the time period in which all of his main achievements came.

Another point here is that football is a completely different sport to track and field. Track and field relies far more on the individual athletes physical capabilities than football. As such performance enhancing drugs play a far smaller part in a footballer's success. Yes he was a drugs cheat and it does cast a shadow over his achievements. However, it doesn't take away from the fact that he is undeniably one of the most talented footballers of all time.

As far as Ben Johnson goes I've always argued that his run in 1988 was remarkable irrespective of how many drugs he was on. It took over 20 years to beat his time and I'm willing to wager that a fair few of the people that were slower than him were on a ****load of drugs as well.

I P Knightley

Iv went for maradona, he scored one of the best goals ever in a world cup against ****land, well 2 if you count the hand of god hahaha..

Was there another one?

I went Maradona. All the arguments are already on the thread (unfashionable club/sides; play up & down the park etc.) but there's one other spot of evidence I'm almost ashamed to put forward.

Gary Lineker has said, without hesitation, that Maradona is the most amazingly gifted footballer he's ever come across. Now, there may be an element of timing - Lineker & Pele never shared a pitch - but for an Englishman who was in the squad 'cheated' out of the match to be so unequivocal about it, there has to be something special in there.

Derek O'Connor. :th_wink1:

OK then, Pele.

Marooned In Oz

Sorry guys.

80% of the people that voted for marradonna have said that they have never seen Pele play except for a few goals here and there.

Watch whole games of the 2.

there is only one winner.

Pele.

Genius.

1. pele

2. Maradonna

3. Best

Pele is more famous for his 2 mad misses. 1 from the half way line and the other when he dummied the goalie. Not to mention the Banks save.

Pele is far too much of a nice guy, every nation on the planet is his favourite, there will be an Afirican winner of the world cup by 2002/2006 etc etc.

Maradonna carried a team to glory and although he is a slekit wee urchin, he is the greatest ever!

Maradona is like a Beckham = W@nk

Pele is god

Eusebio, I played 45 minute against him. 2nd half. He didnae score. Dallas Tornados v Washingthon Diplomats, pre-season 1977 @ Penn State University. Approx. March 23rd. Fact!!!

The first time I had seen names on the back of shirts and just about Eartha Kitt ma'sell when I saw him.

being born in 1974 i have only seen the great diego and is undoubtedly the greatest player to have walked the earth in my lifetime.

i did however vote for pele for the records and the footage i have seen. diego also disgraced himself with the drugs scandals, and i will never forget that drug fuelled, pumped up face when he ran to the camera in the 94 world cup

Hearts Heritage

Pele was undoubtedly the first true World Wide Football superstar. Garrincha is rated by some to be better Brazilian than Pele. Have a look at some of this footage.

Puscas, Di Stefano and Cryuff would also be in contention for being the 'Best'.

Would Brazil have won in 1958, 1962 and 1970 without Pele? Probably Yes.

Would Argentina have won without Maradonna? Definitely not.

has to be Pele but I think the age-factor of posters will tell.

Would agree with that, seen both of them live , but the guy in your avatar was the best football player I,ve ever seen.:)

Both are greats , The way Im trying to think of it is they were both WAAAY ahead of their time and how would we compare them if both at their peak now playing in the Premiership ?

Pele was amazing but I dont think he would have been as prolific in todays game although still great , maybe not to far ahead of the likes of Ruud VN or Ronaldo ( Brazilian ) in the scoring stakes .

Maradona would still be as good and dangerous in todays game as he was 20 years ago IMO and that is why Im voting for him

Bloody good debate though :)

Pele was undoubtedly the first true World Wide Football superstar. Garrincha is rated by some to be better Brazilian than Pele. Have a look at some of this footage.

Puscas, Di Stefano and Cryuff would also be in contention for being the 'Best'.

Would Brazil have won in 1958, 1962 and 1970 without Pele? Probably Yes.

Would Argentina have won without Maradonna? Definitely not.

Not too shabby, but I doubt he would be allowed to prance about like that in today's game, any defender worth his salt would splatter him into the mud for his cheek.

Some years ago, Maradona was in England, en route to an Oxford Union debate he'd been invited to. While in London, he found the overground transport system as hopeless as usual, but was afraid to travel on the tube without donning a disguise. What would happen if someone recognised him, in England of all places? Sure enough, someone did: shook him by the hand, and asked for his autograph. Soon, everyone on the same train carriage did as well.

Maradona couldn't believe this - but English people, like anyone else, recognise genius, magic and extraordinary charisma when we see it. We're secretly very flattered that Maradona scored probably the greatest goal of all time against us. Even the simple act of lifting a 13 year-old ballboy at Celtic Park last night captured the world's attention: because he's an extraordinary man, capable of incredible things; and the ballboy will no doubt remember it for ever.

The ball boy had no idea who he was, and called him Madonna.

I know he is capable of amazing things, but a string of number one hits, an erotic book and a sell out world tour might be stretching it.

Guest Fabuloso

There's definately an age factor here. I'm guessing more of the older posters are going with Pele and the younger with Maradona which is fine. Obviously two fantastic players however the way I see it Pele couldn't do what Maradona did against England (2nd goal) and Belgium in '86.

I don't think we should let the drugs issue get in the way here as it was late on in Maradona's career and it takes nothing away from the ability he showed us all previously.

If it was a personality contest then Pele would win hands down. Footballing ability and influence - there's only one winner for me.

Why is Eusebio not an option. Hes better than both o them

And that's the crux of it right there.

Opinion.

I never saw Pele play live, but i did with Maradona. Diego was way ahead of everyone on the planet in his prime. Though people of Pele's generation tell me the same.

Guess what? Youngsters today who have never seen either Pele or Maradona, will tell you that Cristiano Ronaldo is the best ever.

That's just the way it is.

Drewjambobusby

Many years ago. The 1970 World cup in Mexico. Yes unfortunately i can remember it:rolleyes:

Bobby Moore of England (who was himself an incredible player) played against Pele in one of the early games of the tournie. He thought that Pele`s touch was off that day because he seemed to mis-control the ball several times in the game but thought that he was lucky because he seemed to always get the rebound and pick up the 2nd ball.

THAT WAS UNTIL Moore realised that Pele was deliberately playing the ball off Moores legs and picking up the rebound !!!!!

Pele also did things in that tournament that no-one had seen before.

Truly a one-off. Maradona was great but Pele was different planet from the rest.

For what he brought to the game and continues to be an ambassador for not to mention the fact that he played with a freedom of ability that i dont think will ever be seen again it has to be Pele.

He was the greatest and always will be and i wasnt even born when he played however over 1000 goals (argument can be said in a poor league) and the ability to be in major tournaments and continue to play so unbelievably well.

My 2 favourite Pele moments arent even goals

His halfway line volley back to the keeper from a goal kick (against Uruguay i think( in which the keeper crapped himself and the most fluid dummy of a keeper i've ever seen before running round him and unfortuanately putting it wide.

Would agree with that, seen both of them live , but the guy in your avatar was the best football player I,ve ever seen.:)

Absolutely!

northfieldhearts

Maradona every time. Pele was surrounded by great Brazilians - Maradona single-handedly won the 86 World Cup for them. And I would also rate Cruyff above Pele as well.

Archived