Rugby - Why? (NHC obviously)

Rust Cohle

The Swansea-based Ospreys average more than Aberdeen & Hibs with the derby match with Llanelli looking to be a sell-out at their Liberty Stadium base (cap 20,500).

As did Llanelli themselves prior to leaving Stradey Park last month (cap 11,000). No doubt the new stadium (Parc y Scarlets - cap, 14,300) will have the usual "let's take a peek" crowd but I'd imagine the core will stay as it is.

Cardiff Blues usually fill more than two thirds of their Arms Park base (cap 13,500).

Newport Dragons probably have the lowest average for their Rodney Parade home (cap 12,000) but this is largely due to the fact they are pish and play the most boring rugby imaginable.

That's no doubt all true Matt, but what are the average club attendances in Scotland, where rugger isn't the national sport? Genuine question.

That's no doubt all true Matt, but what are the average club attendances in Scotland, where rugger isn't the national sport? Genuine question.

Probably extremely small IJ. I went to Porty High and the FPs there changed a few seasons ago to playing in a regional league because people couldn't travel to Wick or Dumfries every other weekend and attendances were very low (and there was difficulty raising a team to travel that far).

It's well supported in the top division but not much below that.

Kind of thought that.

I guess the Gunners (I think that's what the Edinburgh team is/was called?) get around the same as say hibs for a game?

Just to put that in perspective, the Scottish Claymores used to get about 12k.

;)

Guest Dipped Flake

I don't understand why some guys slag off rugby and rugby fans/players. I prefer football but still like watching rugby and played it for years at school as well as in the Middle East.

Can't see what some peoples problem is; it's not like you have to choose.

Kind of thought that.

I guess the Gunners (I think that's what the Edinburgh team is/was called?) get around the same as say hibs for a game?

Just to put that in perspective, the Scottish Claymores used to get about 12k.

;)

Think Edinburgh get around 3-4,000 for home games. And maybe even only that many for Heineken Cup games.

I P Knightley
There's a debate raging on sky sports news just now about whether 'rugger' fans should be silent when a player has a penalty/converstion.

Some egg-chasers are outraged that australia players were booed by england fans when going to take a kick.

Could this 'sport' be any gayer?

imagine it, velicka about to take that last min pen against ra sellick but then pandemonium breaks out because....both sets of fans are being noisy :eek::eek::eek:

loser sport for loser people

I started going to the rugby internationals as a kid in 1973. We were told (by teachers and parents) that we should respect the opposition and not boo or yell when they were running up for a kick.

Why did they tell us that?

Because it happened, that's why.

I'm sure I'm not the only one who associates Bill McLaren with the catchphrase, "And there's a bit of ill-mannered booing" (among many other classics).

So it's been about for at least 35 years. I don't understand the fuss being made this week.

The players are now professionals and if they can't tune that stuff out, they shouldn't have the responsibility of taking the kicks.

Thats pretty much the image rugby has in Edinburgh but I wouldnt fancy your chances if you went into a mining village in the Welsh valleys or a farming community in New Zeland and made that comment!

Just make sure that they've finished with their sheep before making the 'gay' comment. They get upset if you interrupt.

Someone has already pointed out Edinburgh's. Glasgow Warriors are allocated the Jackie Husband stand at Firhill for Magners League games and tend to fill that. The wee stand behind the goal is opened for when Edinburgh come or an English team with a decent support (like Saracens last year) play a Heineken Cup tie up here.

iamcraigbeattie

Id love to see all these anti rugby guys who are hard enough to slag the game off on here get themselves down for a game sometime. Im happy to organise this and would personally love to see what they though of the game after 80 min. im guesssing it wont be a game for "fags" then.

As i said before im happy to arrange this!!

Miller Jambo 60
For those who think rugby's a soft game, check this out from the French league:-

http://internationalrugbynews.co.uk/rugby-video/yet-more-wanton-violence-from-the-french-top-14.html

Always remember in 1976 when Andy Irvine converted in the last min against England and we won.

A lovely blonde behind me grabbed and kissed me.

Aye the memories.

I P Knightley
Always remember in 1976 when Andy Irvine converted in the last min against England and we won.

A lovely blonde behind me grabbed and kissed me.

Aye the memories.

Was this the one?

_1275063_jeffrey150.jpg

iamcraigbeattie

loving the video!! just shows how gay a sport it is......not. As much as i love Hearts and football Rugbys the mans game. Id love to see that same situation on a football pitch. Gucci handbags flying everywhere.

Ditto the reverse. When Aussie PM John Howard had the honour (ha!) of presenting the Rugby World Cup to Martin Johnson, he practically threw the winners medals in the players' faces, and spent the entire ceremony looking uncannily as though he'd just eaten a dog**** sandwich.

God save your gracious Queen, John. :)

Meanwhile, Gordon Brown looked like he was loving it when he had to take part in the presentation of the last World Cup to South Africa after they had pumped England.

Funny that for such a unionist.

loveofthegame
For those who think rugby's a soft game, check this out from the French league:-

http://internationalrugbynews.co.uk/rugby-video/yet-more-wanton-violence-from-the-french-top-14.html

Hahaha as i've said in a thread in the shed i love my rugby but whats get me is this:

If that incident had happened in football, the match would probably have been near abandoned, players would be on the end of 6month bans etc and the police would get involved charging the players with all sorts of assault and b of the p charges. How come footballers gets this tough a time for a 'scuffle' and rugby players get away with literally knocking 7 shades out of each other!? Something thats always annoyed me!

Although might i add i don't think the police should ever get involved for on pitch activites, so maybe its the rugger authorities who have got it right.

The Swansea-based Ospreys average more than Aberdeen & Hibs with the derby match with Llanelli looking to be a sell-out at their Liberty Stadium base (cap 20,500).

As did Llanelli themselves prior to leaving Stradey Park last month (cap 11,000). No doubt the new stadium (Parc y Scarlets - cap, 14,300) will have the usual "let's take a peek" crowd but I'd imagine the core will stay as it is.

Cardiff Blues usually fill more than two thirds of their Arms Park base (cap 13,500).

Newport Dragons probably have the lowest average for their Rodney Parade home (cap 12,000) but this is largely due to the fact they are pish and play the most boring rugby imaginable.

Incidentally, how many Hearts fans who filled Hampden to the rafters in 2006 and Parkhead in 1998 still go and watch the team every week? Seeing as we're talking about cheap point scoring here in order to slake your obvious thirsty distaste of rugby. ;)

Checked your first point. Ospreys have averaged 8094.5 per game!

I was at the rugger on Saturday and it was a decent day out - and you could buy beer inside the ground and take it to your seat.

I fail to understand why people would choose watching the rugby over watching Hearts.

The kids who played football never had to try rugby at any school worth its salt.

Thats funny because at most private schools you are made to try rugby for at least one year.

Wrong again.

how would they nudge his fudge:eek:

Not sure I understand this. Were you on the football field when you should've been in English class?

Is it a question? If so, where is the question mark?

If it is a question, what would you like to hear as an answer? Do you want to know what method they would use to nudge his fudge? That would appear to be your chosen line of enquiry.

Which leads me to deduce that you must be a gayer looking for tips - either that or an illiterate fool.

Archived