Rugby - Why? (NHC obviously)

Rust Cohle

There's a debate raging on sky sports news just now about whether 'rugger' fans should be silent when a player has a penalty/converstion.

Some egg-chasers are outraged that australia players were booed by england fans when going to take a kick.

Could this 'sport' be any gayer?

imagine it, velicka about to take that last min pen against ra sellick but then pandemonium breaks out because....both sets of fans are being noisy :eek::eek::eek:

loser sport for loser people

Rugby Union is a great sport and anyone who cant see this is is a bender.

Agreed

I think the general complaints come from the fact that there is usually a great deal of respect within Rugby fans (especially compared to football fans).

Personally i love rugby as much as i do football but they are completely different sports in terms of attitude and general behaviour....i don't like the boo'ing when kickers are taking penaltys and conversions and dont join in (unless we are playing the English) but that said if someone is good enough to be kicking then they should be good enough to be able to do it with some crowd noise, i dont think it really puts the kickers off that much anyway....

Rugby is for posh benders- FACT.

Thats pretty much the image rugby has in Edinburgh but I wouldnt fancy your chances if you went into a mining village in the Welsh valleys or a farming community in Ne Zeland and made that comment!

Captain Lithuania
There's a debate raging on sky sports news just now about whether 'rugger' fans should be silent when a player has a penalty/converstion.

Some egg-chasers are outraged that australia players were booed by england fans when going to take a kick.

Could this 'sport' be any gayer?

imagine it, velicka about to take that last min pen against ra sellick but then pandemonium breaks out because....both sets of fans are being noisy :eek::eek::eek:

loser sport for loser people

Thanks very much, I play rugby, and I am captain for my team. I love football too but do you see us going down any time someone gets near our hair. We actually get tackled and we get back up. Just leave.

Captain Lithuania
Rugby is for posh benders- FACT.

How is this a fact? Okay, I will arrange for you to come down to my club, shall I? And I'm in no way posh, mate. I live in Wester Hailes, classy.

Thats pretty much the image rugby has in Edinburgh but I wouldnt fancy your chances if you went into a mining village in the Welsh valleys or a farming community in Ne Zeland and made that comment!

Fair do's.

How is this a fact? Okay, I will arrange for you to come down to my club, shall I? And I'm in no way posh, mate. I live in Wester Hailes, classy.

Nah mate its fine. Bit of a generalisation on my part, but my only experience of rugby people is the Watsons/Heriots type and I've found them to be snobby @r$es, but as you say you're not like that. Sorry for any offence mate.

Spitonastranger

how would they nudge his fudge:eek:

A sport invented by a boy cheating at football. A free kick should have been given for hand ball, the guy booked and that would have been that.

Captain Lithuania
A sport invented by a boy cheating at football. A free kick should have been given for hand ball, the guy booked and that would have been that.

Well put :). But he invented one of the most popular sports on earth today.

Captain Lithuania
Nah mate its fine. Bit of a generalisation on my part, but my only experience of rugby people is the Watsons/Heriots type and I've found them to be snobby @r$es, but as you say you're not like that. Sorry for any offence mate.

Heriots are gash..

There is a big "RESPECT" campaign in football at present,thats exactly what football could take from rugby. Players dont abuse the Ref,and don't as spectators boo oposition taking a kick at goal.

marshallschunkychicken

I like rugby as well as football. I also went to Watson's.

Guess that makes me gay and a snobby @rse.

:laugh:

2nd in the Premiership.

They are certainly gash at school level.

Rugby is a great sport to get involved in, and I would encourage anyone to go and enjoy a game at a packed out Murrayfield (although these are becoming scarcer)

I went to Stew Mel and played Rugby and Hockey - that must make me extra gay.

They are certainly gash at school level.

Rugby is a great sport to get involved in, and I would encourage anyone to go and enjoy a game at a packed out Murrayfield (although these are becoming scarcer)

I went to Stew Mel and played Rugby and Hockey - that must make me extra gay.

Uber gay mate, verging on the Hibernian . .

I like rugby too. Used to play for Boroughmuir but never much good. Good game but I wish the refs would enforce the 'not straight' rule in scrums. It's just like RL now :mad:

I wish the refs would enforce the 'not straight' rule in scrums. :mad:

Too right! No gays allowed in rugger... ;)

The great irony when so many people slag off the sport is actually, it's football which is full of preening, pandered primadonnas and drama queens, going to ground whenever someone so much as brushes by the TV screen they're watching the game on and generally behaving appallingly. Rugby, meanwhile, is a huge paradox: sportsmanship, mutual camaraderie and respect for the officials still remain, but it's an absolutely ferocious sport. In Chris Eubank's view, far more brutal than boxing! :eek:

I went to Weeg to watch basketball on Sun, Scottish Rocks v Newcastle Eagles. Whenever Eagles had free throws the Cheerleaders were jumping about,waving their pompoms & squealing trying to put the boy off, Right under the basket. Some of them were well tasty, would def have put me off.

maroondoonhamer
Rugby Union is a great sport and anyone who cant see this is is a bender.

Only union?? Prefer league myself. Though the present world cup is a bit of a joke as it seems to be a 1 team competition.

The Old Tolbooth
Uber gay mate, verging on the Hibernian . .

I like rugby too. Used to play for Boroughmuir but never much good. Good game but I wish the refs would enforce the 'not straight' rule in scrums. It's just like RL now :mad:

Ooooh, that's an uber insult! :D

Too right! No gays allowed in rugger... ;)

The great irony when so many people slag off the sport is actually, it's football which is full of preening, pandered primadonnas and drama queens, going to ground whenever someone so much as brushes by the TV screen they're watching the game on and generally behaving appallingly. Rugby, meanwhile, is a huge paradox: sportsmanship, mutual camaraderie and respect for the officials still remain, but it's an absolutely ferocious sport. In Chris Eubank's view, far more brutal than boxing! :eek:

Couldn't agree more Shaun. I wonder what John Cumming would make of the current game and its poncey practicioners ? Doesn't bear thinking about . . .

Rugby, meanwhile, is a huge paradox: sportsmanship, mutual camaraderie and respect for the officials still remain, but it's an absolutely ferocious sport.

Where fat men touch each others boabies.

;)

;)

I assume you don't want me to post a certain picture of Vinny Jones and Paul Gascoigne; or for that matter, Gazza and Ally McCoist celebrating a goal? ;)

;)

I dont think I have ever seen that in rugby, possibly because im not looking for it of course.

Footballers seem to do that quite a lot unfortunatley...

Vinnie Jones And Paul Gasgoine for example...

Post all you like Shauny boy!

Not sure how one or two isolated incidents equate to something that happens about 100 times every game, but there you go!

;)

Post all you like Shauny boy!

Not sure how one or two isolated incidents equate to something that happens about 100 times every game, but there you go!

;)

But, er, how would you know anyway? ;)

Far too stop start a game. Bloody boring.

Being quiet when someone's taking a shot sums it up for me, a rugby fan will never understand the passion of football.. Thank God for football.

I like rugby as well as football. I also went to Watson's.

Guess that makes me gay and a snobby @rse.

:laugh:

ditto. Watch the rugby from the touchline sometime. Totally different perspective than the TV. Never replace football, but there's room for both in my world

I went to Weeg to watch basketball on Sun, Scottish Rocks v Newcastle Eagles. Whenever Eagles had free throws the Cheerleaders were jumping about,waving their pompoms & squealing trying to put the boy off, Right under the basket. Some of them were well tasty, would def have put me off.

You must be the Rocks' new lucky charm as they were awful in their last two home games.

The Rockettes do that at every game. Class players like Eagles' Lynard Stewart or Guildford's Mike Martin usually take it in their stride and land their free-throws.

Being quiet when someone's taking a shot sums it up for me, a rugby fan will never understand the passion of football.. Thank God for football.

One can deduce from that you have never been at a rugby match at the Millennium Stadium in Cardiff? Now that's passion!

your comments would really be appreciated at Ross High Rugby Club or Preston Lodge in the Pans.Working class rugby clubs both.

One can deduce from that you have never been at a rugby match at the Millennium Stadium in Cardiff? Now that's passion!

How many of these fans go to watch rugby every week?

your comments would really be appreciated at Ross High Rugby Club or Preston Lodge in the Pans.Working class rugby clubs both.

Okay, sorry. All that rugby fans talk about is the fact that they're all working class heroes and soggy biscuit.

When I played first played rugby and watched it fairly regularly as a schoolboy (Porty High) the crowd was always silent during penalty kicks and conversions.

The noise and booing at these times is a relatively recent thing.

Don't have a problem with people liking rugby, though I detest the sport myself probably because I played footie at school while the kids who were crap went and played rugby.

Don't have a problem with people liking rugby, though I detest the sport myself probably because I played footie at school while the kids who were crap went and played rugby.

And the kids who played football were likely crap at rugby.

And the kids who played football were likely crap at rugby.

The kids who played football never had to try rugby at any school worth its salt.

J.T.F.Robertson

I have to agree, much prefer the NFL. :wacko:

This debate has been had on here many a time, what would you do if Romanov did do a bunk and Hearts went bust??

I would probably watch more rugby. A season ticket at Edinburgh is a fraction of the cost of watching Hearts and I'd go to more 6 nations games. Stuff watching 'Hearts 2008' at Saughton enclosure.

Australians NOT being booed by England supporters in any sport would be a story.

Ditto the reverse. When Aussie PM John Howard had the honour (ha!) of presenting the Rugby World Cup to Martin Johnson, he practically threw the winners medals in the players' faces, and spent the entire ceremony looking uncannily as though he'd just eaten a dog**** sandwich.

God save your gracious Queen, John. :)

How many of these fans go to watch rugby every week?

The Swansea-based Ospreys average more than Aberdeen & Hibs with the derby match with Llanelli looking to be a sell-out at their Liberty Stadium base (cap 20,500).

As did Llanelli themselves prior to leaving Stradey Park last month (cap 11,000). No doubt the new stadium (Parc y Scarlets - cap, 14,300) will have the usual "let's take a peek" crowd but I'd imagine the core will stay as it is.

Cardiff Blues usually fill more than two thirds of their Arms Park base (cap 13,500).

Newport Dragons probably have the lowest average for their Rodney Parade home (cap 12,000) but this is largely due to the fact they are pish and play the most boring rugby imaginable.

Incidentally, how many Hearts fans who filled Hampden to the rafters in 2006 and Parkhead in 1998 still go and watch the team every week? Seeing as we're talking about cheap point scoring here in order to slake your obvious thirsty distaste of rugby. ;)

Okay, sorry. All that rugby fans talk about is the fact that they're all working class heroes and soggy biscuit.

Because the scene aound Edinburgh is largely focussed on the fee-paying school system, it would be a sloppy error on your part to bracket all of rugby union under the "hooray-Henry" label. A wee trip south to the Borders will pop one little hole in your theory. As will the valleys of Wales and England's west country. The south west of France, and the farming communities of New Zealand and South Africa are also as far away from the toffee-nosed, privately educated, barbour wearing types you think are the sole spectators of the game. But then again, ignorance does seem to be your forte on JKB.

Archived