Where Is All The Money Coming From?

IMA MAROON

Do you think the squad may actually weaken during the next transfer window? I'm worried that whilst we may shift one or two better players we might not get any in or not any o quality.

I'm preparing myself for a surprise.

No Liths on loan. No Ugandans. No injured loan players.

We'll off-load a few high earners (Nade/Kingston) and sign some proven players.

I don't know who or from where, but this is Vlad's chance to appease us all.

I honestly think there is cash available and the money is being saved for the hotel complex and stand.

Vlad could surprise us all in January

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Is encouraging Vlad to pour more money into Hearts designed to bring forward the often predicted financial collapse of UKIO Bankas and the rest of his business empire?

I could have sworn there were howls of anguish on here when our debt looked to be approaching ?40m.

Howls of anguish that were repeatedly dismissed by Romanov as not being a problem.

I dont think its unreasonable when the club has realised well over ?12 million in incoming transfer fees in the last two or three years, for some of that money to be re-invested in players who have the potential to be the next big pay off for Ukio Bankas at the direct expense of the quality and short term prospects of the first team of Hearts FC.

The fact is that Romanov has, countless times. at the very least hinted at , and at times downright openly promised that he would do things that havent subsequently been done.

No he didnt promise world cup stars, but he deliberately released that we were looking at that standard of player and that he would pay $10million for the "right player" and not once has that standard of player ever been delivered. Not only that, he has now manoevered the club into such a position that no decent quality player IN THE WORLD who had an alternative club to go for around the same wage would choose Hearts

How you can continually defend Romanov on his record of what he said he would deliver against what he has ACTUALLY delivered is beyond me.

I would imagine its getting pretty lonely in your particular room. Do you still think we're getting a ?51 million stand complex ?

Francis Albert
If you believed that statement from him and took it word for word your even more delluded that the flaimiesters over the road who still think they play free flowing sexy football.

I didn't believe for a minute that Vlad was going to spend ?10m on a player or players. My post was a (clearly much misunderstood) criticism of those who believed it (or pretend that they did believe it).

Captain Lithuania
A couple of loan players might be a good idea if we cannot sell the players that Csaba does not want.

Kaunas..? MTZ Ripo..?

No it's another "broken promise".

Whats your definition of broken promise ? To me its when someone says they are going to do something (The January 1st statement for example) and then doesnt do it. Not delivering on January 1st was a " broken promise" unless you have another term for it

There are loads of examples of things Romanov said would be done, that havent been. That to me is a " broken promise"

He has said that a ?51 million stand complex would be delivered. He backed this up as a "promise" by submitting plans for it. It wont be built and I suspect even you know that now. That is a broken promise whatever way you look at it.

Howls of anguish that were repeatedly dismissed by Romanov as not being a problem.

I dont think its unreasonable when the club has realised well over ?12 million in incoming transfer fees in the last two or three years, for some of that money to be re-invested in players who have the potential to be the next big pay off for Ukio Bankas at the direct expense of the quality and short term prospects of the first team of Hearts FC.

The fact is that Romanov has, countless times. at the very least hinted at , and at times downright openly promised that he would do things that havent subsequently been done.

No he didnt promise world cup stars, but he deliberately released that we were looking at that standard of player and that he would pay $10million for the "right player" and not once has that standard of player ever been delivered. Not only that, he has now manoevered the club into such a position that no decent quality player IN THE WORLD who had an alternative club to go for around the same wage to would choose Hearts

How you can continually defend Romanov on his record of what he said he would deliver against what he has ACTUALLY delivered is beyond me.

I would imagine its getting pretty lonely in your particular room. Do you still think we're getting a ?51 million stand complex ?

Would you still say that of him IF he delivered in 5 years time?

Ive said before, Romanov got the SPL wrong he underestimated how difficult it actually is in Scotland to overhaul the OF. Were now paying the price of that original intention and methods employed. Now its back to basics and reducing a debt which HMFC as a club CANNOT and would NEVER be able to service on our own. We may not like it as the team has suffered because of it, but what would you rather? we go chasing a dream and end up even more in debt? or spend a few seasons going through a transition period of reducing debt to a level we can operate at on our own, and then start looking at players of the same calibre we had before because we will be in a position to afford them without increasing an already huge debt?

It's easy for us all to say Vlads got hundreds of millions etc etc why dont he just bankroll us? Easy to say because its not our money, the reason he is worth the amount he is is because he hasnt bankrolled anyone and threw money away, why should he OR anyone just bankroll a business when it can be turned around to a profit making business or a business capable of looking after itself and any financil transactions it makes.

When the next set of accounts are produced if they say out debt is approx pre-romanov or less will you complain? will you and others want that debt increased again to chase a dream? or will you be happy and say lets reduce it more so we can be in a position in a few years to be able to afford the big names again?

I didn't believe for a minute that Vlad was going to spend ?10m on a player or players. My post was a (clearly much misunderstood) criticism of those who believed it (or pretend that they did believe it).

Apologies Francis yes it was misunderstood and was supposed to be in reply to the original poster who made the statement

Whats your definition of broken promise ? To me its when someone says they are going to do something (The January 1st statement for example) and then doesnt do it. Not delivering on January 1st was a " broken promise" unless you have another term for it

There are loads of examples of things Romanov said would be done, that havent been. That to me is a " broken promise"

He has said that a ?51 million stand complex would be delivered. He backed this up as a "promise" by submitting plans for it. It wont be built and I suspect even you know that now. That is a broken promise whatever way you look at it.

Now now.

Apparently, by merely mentioning that certain statements came from VR stating that he was going to do X, Y or Z...

We are simply stamping our feet and wailing in imitation of a two year old.

It was dollars not pounds and what he said was that he "would" spend that kind of money on the "right player" It has become apparent that he wouldnt dream of even spending a fifth of that kind of money on a player despite many of the "right player" being available for far less right here in Scotland and despite selling one of our own players for more than $10 million

Would you still say that of him IF he delivered in 5 years time?

Ive said before, Romanov got the SPL wrong he underestimated how difficult it actually is in Scotland to overhaul the OF. Were now paying the price of that original intention and methods employed. Now its back to basics and reducing a debt which HMFC as a club CANNOT and would NEVER be able to service on our own. We may not like it as the team has suffered because of it, but what would you rather? we go chasing a dream and end up even more in debt? or spend a few seasons going through a transition period of reducing debt to a level we can operate at on our own, and then start looking at players of the same calibre we had before because we will be in a position to afford them without increasing an already huge debt?

It's easy for us all to say Vlads got hundreds of millions etc etc why dont he just bankroll us? Easy to say because its not our money, the reason he is worth the amount he is is because he hasnt bankrolled anyone and threw money away, why should he OR anyone just bankroll a business when it can be turned around to a profit making business or a business capable of looking after itself and any financil transactions it makes.

When the next set of accounts are produced if they say out debt is approx pre-romanov or less will you complain? will you and others want that debt increased again to chase a dream? or will you be happy and say lets reduce it more so we can be in a position in a few years to be able to afford the big names again?

So, basically you're saying that we should have a wait and see approach. :rolleyes:

No I'll be delighted if he gets the debt levels down enough to be an attractive propostion for a buyer that wont embarrass the club everytime he opens his mouth and wont make promises that cant be delivered or that he has no intention of delivering.

So, basically you're saying that we should have a wait and see approach. :rolleyes:

Lets face facts, were never going to be in a position to challenge the OF YET are we? so why try to by spending millions that we cant affford?

A good cup run maybe even winning it again and qualifying for Europe is best we can hope for at present. which is nothing new to what we were doing before and not below our expectations. In the meantime a huge debt is being reduced. Once that debt is reduced to a much lower level, a level we can operate at comforatably then that is the time we should be saying to Vlad get the finger out and spend money IF he doesnt. Bit like the position the vermin are in now, they have went through the transition of selling players to reduce debt and are now turning profits, the difference being is they are not spending due to a chairman who is tighter than a ducks erse.

As far as the financial situation goes im prepared to wait it out a little longer.

There are also other alternative reasons for that, IF our debt is reduced low enough we will again become an attractive proposition to an outside buyer, and be more attractive for sponsorship deals etc etc.

Francis Albert

Of your examples

(1) what in the January statement wasn't delivered? (Oh and before you state the obvious it was preferably with experience of the British game)

(2) there is no reason to doubt the seriousness of the stand/hotel/office/apartments plan and serious money was spent on it. IF it is delayed or abandoned or modified because of the worst financial crisis in sixty years I for one won't be squealing "broken promise".

Francis Albert
Now now.

Apparently, by merely mentioning that certain statements came from VR stating that he was going to do X, Y or Z...

We are simply stamping our feet and wailing in imitation of a two year old.

So you DID understand my earlier posts. :)

One other issue.

What happened to VR's desire to take on the Old Firm who he so hates?

Why hasn't he put in the resources required to beat them?

Lay of the Land
Lets face facts, were never going to be in a position to challenge the OF YET are we? so why try to by spending millions that we cant affford?

Who says we "can't affford?"

Have you got access to the accounts?

You're as clueless as the rest of us, but you seem to assume that we have no dosh.

Why?

Of your examples

(1) what in the January statement wasn't delivered? (Oh and before you state the obvious it was preferably with experience of the British game)

(2) there is no reason to doubt the seriousness of the stand/hotel/office/apartments plan and serious money was spent on it. IF it is delayed or abandoned or modified because of the worst financial crisis in sixty years I for one won't be squealing "broken promise".

Agreed on count 2 there. In fact it could be suicide to actually go ahead with a new stand and hotel etc in this current financial climate, which experts are predicting could last 18 months - 2years, and will get worse, before it gets better. After all were talking abut a construction project which are one of the worst hit industries at present. The prudent thing would be to get the plans approved and then wait which is what i think will happen.

Who says we "can't affford?"

Have you got access to the accounts?

You're as clueless as the rest of us, but you seem to assume that we have no dosh.

Why?

around 20million of debt says we cannot afford it, thats taking of the income of transfer fees the 12million debt for equity and then assuming out losses are approx 5-6million last financial year (Less than previous year) I dont need a set of accounts to tell me we cannot afford to be adding to a debt that was crippling us, its called common sense.

One other issue.

As I said, why hasn't VR been willing to put in the sort of money that David Murray or Dermot Desmond or the like have put into Rangers and Celtic.

I think all would be agreed that serious investment would be required to top those 2 teams consistently. Why hasn't VR been willing to put it in?

I'm not going to demand that VR puts his personal wealth into the club. It is his prerogative to spend his money how he likes. But it is strange that he does not seem interested enough in beating Rangers and Celtic to actually put the money in to do so.

Lay of the Land
around 20million of debt says we cannot afford it, thats taking of the income of transfer fees the 12million debt for equity and then assuming out losses are approx 5-6million last financial year (Less than previous year) I dont need a set of accounts to tell me we cannot afford to be adding to a debt that was crippling us, its called common sense.

If what you say is FACT, then we have �20M to play with, given our debt level was curbed at �40M

Sell a few "assets" and we'll have more to spend.

I don't think we're skint.

I foresee a few big names joining us in January and the stand getting given the green-light.

I wouldn't worry about the debt. It's Vlad's money after all and we don't really need to pay it back.

As I said, why hasn't VR been willing to put in the sort of money that David Murray or Dermot Desmond or the like have put into Rangers and Celtic.

I think all would be agreed that serious investment would be required to top those 2 teams consistently. Why hasn't VR been willing to put it in?

Do you think he should?

How much money should he put into the club each year?

How much should he be duty bound to write off season by season?

Please dont say your trying to compare Us with the enormity of the OF in terms of financial pull.

When were in a position to attract 50,000+ fans each week to a stadium that can hold that amount then we can be compared, also when we can pull in the same sponsorship levels and merchandise sales we can be compared and ask the question why are we not spending as much as them.

Of your examples

1. Have we got a manager as described in the January 1st statement ? If we have, what is all this "together" crap about ? Why was it "preferable" to have someone with British experience and why was that preference dumped so readily ?

2. "there is no reason to doubt the seriousness of the stand.......(project) ?

despite the fact that its way beyond our means, even in normal finanicial times and work was first scheduled to start on it over two years ago and we are now stalling with the council over answering key issues for the granting of permission. In what season do we sit in the old falling down stand and consider the promise to build a new oner to be "broken" Five years after it was supposed to be built or ten years, or twenty ?

You dont expect him to shell out a couple of million on a player but you still expect a ?51 million stand to be built in your lifetime ?

If what you say is FACT, then we have �20M to play with, given our debt level was curbed at �40M

Sell a few "assets" and we'll have more to spend.

I don't think we're skint.

I foresee a few big names joining us in January and the stand getting given the green-light.

I wouldn't worry about the debt. It's Vlad's money after all and we don't really need to pay it back.

:hobofish:

Please dont say your trying to compare Us with the enormity of the OF in terms of financial pull.

When were in a position to attract 50,000+ fans each week to a stadium that can hold that amount then we can be compared, also when we can pull in the same sponsorship levels and merchandise sales we can be compared and ask the question why are we not spending as much as them.

You dont have to spend anything like as much as they do to win the league. Thats been true every decade for the last 140 years.

They massively overspend for what they actually achieve and the league could be won on a tenth of their budget with the right people left to their own devices.

My point was that complaining that Vlad doesn't just borrow some money from his bank to spend on new players is childish.

Like complaining we didn't buy two world cup stars.

Or don't look like winning the Champions League any time soon.

I understood.;)

Do you think he should?

How much money should he put into the club each year?

How much should he be duty bound to write off season by season?

You were too quick - see my edit.

It is up to VR how he spends his money. As I said.

But clearly there is no intention to challenge the OF for the trophies each season. As VR said at the start of this year the intention now is to bring through young players who can be sold to big clubs. I find it interesting that all the bluster about the referees allegiances, Hearts players wearing Celtic strips under their Hearts kit, talk about replacing the Old Firm etc has fallen away so quickly. Perhaps VR just doesn't have any money.

Lay of the Land
You dont have to spend anything like as much as they do to win the league. Thats been true every decade for the last 140 years.

They massively overspend for what they actually achieve and the league could be won on a tenth of their budget with the right people left to their own devices.

Great post.

Aberdeen and D. Utd won the SPL (or equivalent) with a shoestring budget compared to the OF.

We have that shoestring ;)

My answer was to this which coco is asking why doesnt vlad put in the same level of investment

You would be niave in the least if you thought for one minute all we had to do was put in a few million quid to challenge the OF. As soon as we or any team for that matter did that and looked a threat, dont kid yourself into thinking that Murray or Desmond would not release even more money to buy players to strengthen the OF, then we are in a position of having to spend even more again to compete and before you know it were way out of our depth. Lets get ourselves into a position where we can sustain a challenge and be able to look after ourselves. Get money coming in and less going out.

As i said we will never compete with the OF in terms of fans, merchandise sales, sponsorships, corprorate etc etc. certainly not while we have a huge debt already round our necks

Agreed on count 2 there. In fact it could be suicide to actually go ahead with a new stand and hotel etc in this current financial climate, which experts are predicting could last 18 months - 2years, and will get worse, before it gets better. After all were talking abut a construction project which are one of the worst hit industries at present. The prudent thing would be to get the plans approved and then wait which is what i think will happen.

Actually if you have the monny at the ready its a great time to build it because there are so few big projects around that builders will cut their costs to the bone to get the contract.

What would be suicidal would be to build it and have it lying empty for the first two because the team havent been developed to the same degree and you belived the gross over estimate of Edinburgh's hotel capacity needs in the next ten years.

Scrap the plans, build a stand for ?10-?12 million with the capacity to expand to the full complex thing if you ever need to.

Forget the big project. Its never going to happen. Its the dream of a self obsessed fantasist madman who hasnt got the money for it.

Its along the same lines as you or I wishing they had a Feckin Ferrari (I'm assuming you dont have one)

Francis Albert
You dont expect him to shell out a couple of million on a player but you still expect a ?51 million stand to be built in your lifetime ?

It was never a "?51m stand".

My answer was to this which coco is asking why doesnt vlad put in the same level of investment

You would be niave in the least if you thought for one minute all we had to do was put in a few million quid to challenge the OF. As soon as we or any team for that matter did that and looked a threat, dont kid yourself into thinking that Murray or Desmond would not release even more money to buy players to strengthen the OF, then we are in a position of having to spend even more again to compete and before you know it were way out of our depth. Lets get ourselves into a position where we can sustain a challenge and be able to look after ourselves. Get money coming in and less going out.

As i said we will never compete with the OF in terms of fans, merchandise sales, sponsorships, corprorate etc etc. certainly not while we have a huge debt already round our necks

I've been posting on KB suggesting that Hearts adopt sensible financial strategies since about 1998! Fully agree that an austerity strategy makes sense.

Of course it would take a very long period of sustained investment to get near to the OF on a consistent basis. All Hearts fans know that.

But I am not the person with the bluster about challenging the OF. Perhaps VR didn't have the money to back up his talk. Or maybe he just isn't interested any more.

Great post.

Aberdeen and D. Utd won the SPL (or equivalent) with a shoestring budget compared to the OF.

We have that shoestring ;)

When they won the league the highest transfer fee paid in Scotland at the time was only a few hundred thousand.

Ridiculous statement to make in the least

Your right though the hobos do have that shoestring budget. :107years:

:hobofish:

Actually if you have the monny at the ready its a great time to build it because there are so few big projects around that builders will cut their costs to the bone to get the contract.

What would be suicidal would be to build it and have it lying empty for the first two because the team havent been developed to the same degree and you belived the gross over estimate of Edinburgh's hotel capacity needs in the next ten years.

Scrap the plans, build a stand for ?10-?12 million with the capacity to expand to the full complex thing if you ever need to.

Forget the big project. Its never going to happen. Its the dream of a self obsessed fantasist madman who hasnt got the money for it.

Its along the same lines as you or I wishing they had a Feckin Ferrari (I'm assuming you dont have one)

Agree with you there, if you have the readies at hand this is the time to buy property or build, unfortunately I dont think Vlad has the 51million at the ready for this project. Lopex was quoted as saying Vlad wanted outside investors which is not going to happen in this climate.

Since 1985 we have come fairly close to winning the league 3 times.

85/86 was a whisker away and the other two times, 98 and 06 would have seen us win the league if 3 or 4 key results against us had gone the other way (Yes I know they didnt but thats how close we were)

We wont ever compete with them financially or in any financial way and we wont ever dominate Scottish football, but we dont need to do either to win a title or two.

I've been posting on KB suggesting that Hearts adopt sensible financial strategies since about 1998! Fully agree that an austerity strategy makes sense.

Of course it would take a very long period of sustained investment to get near to the OF on a consistent basis. All Hearts fans know that.

But I am not the person with the bluster about challenging the OF. Perhaps VR didn't have the money to back up his talk. Or maybe he just isn't interested any more.

Coco, ive said before in fact on this very thread that i believe all vlad thought he had to do was throw in a couple million and we would challenge the OF. He made a massive mistake in underestimating them and exactly how much money was needed. In typical vlad fashion though he will never admit to making a mistake. Since 05/06 he has had to backtrack and opt for the more prudent approach in reducing the debt first before anymore significant investment can be made

So it is pefectly acceptable for Hearts to make no signings during the transfer window if we can't afford to do so.

I'd go along with that.

When they won the league the highest transfer fee paid in Scotland at the time was only a few hundred thousand.

And it wasnt Dundee Utd OR Aberdeen who were spending that kind of money

It was never a "?51m stand".

Okay your being pedantic in his defence but I see that even you are speaking in the past tense about the project now so I guess Ive made my point.

Since 1985 we have come fairly close to winning the league 3 times.

85/86 was a whisker away and the other two times, 98 and 06 would have seen us win the league if 3 or 4 key results against us had gone the other way (Yes I know they didnt but thats how close we were)

We wont ever compete with them financially or in any financial way and we wont ever dominate Scottish football, but we dont need to do either to win a title or two.

Correct and can you see the at what cost to us? 86 we were so close without having to spend ,millions because no other team was spending that amount. then from 98 onwards how much did that cup win and 2nd place cost us some 18 million + ok not in one season admittedly but it was built up. then in 06 how much was spent on wages/transfer fees etc? that eventually took us to a level of 36million debt.

Lay of the Land
And it wasnt Dundee Utd OR Aberdeen who were spending that kind of money

Listen, bud. I've got more than an inkling you may be wasting your time with this one.

Read his/her posts :eek:

One other issue.

Because it has to be done in a different way, and he has realized this?

Listen, bud. I've got more than an inkling you may be wasting your time with this one.

Read his/her posts :eek:

Why would that be?

Because your a hobo on the wind up :hobofish:

or because you dont have the intellect to enter an adult debate like were having ?

Apologies Francis yes it was misunderstood and was supposed to be in reply to the original poster who made the statement
I witnessed the hawks circling. Interesting.

Correct and can you see the at what cost to us? 86 we were so close without having to spend ,millions because no other team was spending that amount. then from 98 onwards how much did that cup win and 2nd place cost us some 18 million + ok not in one season admittedly but it was built up. then in 06 how much was spent on wages/transfer fees etc? that eventually took us to a level of 36million debt.

I'd suggest that debt was built up by making poor financial decisions all along the road, nothing to do with the success we did achieve and nearly achieved, which happened despite what we were doing financially in the background and not because of it.

I think we overspent by around ?10-?12 million in 05/06. We could and should have had at least a league title to show for that overspend. The fact that we didnt strongly suggests that the money was in fact wasted by poor financial and football decision making, as had been happening since the 60's and 70's.

Lay of the Land
Why would that be?

Because your a hobo on the wind up :hobofish:

or because you dont have the intellect to enter an adult debate like were having ?

Lovely use of punctuation and grammar in the above, with the apt, obligatory smiley, to deflect one from one's lack of knowledge on the subject being discussed.

You don't have a clue what you're on about, do you?

Guessing. Assuming. Presuming. Hoping.

Clutching....

We have �20M to play with. Our debt cap is �40M.

FACT according to your �20M debt up-date.

I'd suggest that debt was built up by making poor financial decisions all along the road, nothing to do with the success we did achieve and nearly achieved, which happened despite what we were doing financially in the background and not because of it.

I think we overspent by around ?10-?12 million in 05/06. We could and should have had at least a league title to show for that overspend. The fact that we didnt strongly suggests that the money was in fact wasted by poor financial and football decision making, as had been happening since the 60's and 70's.

Agree partially, although would also add other factors stopped us winning the title in 06, but thats for a different debate other than a financial one, which this is about. but im sure you know what im talking about.

So you at least agree Vlad made poot financial decisions in 05/06 which is what i had said that he made a mistake, but now this is being rectified by the reducing of debt. Which then leads on to original posts i made what would people rather have? a large increase to debt to chase a dream and we go living outwith our means again in an already volatile financial climate, or would people prefer we take measures to reduce debt first?

Archived