Dundee Utd = Sliced Bread [Best thing since]!!!

Eggo

Yes, that would seem a pretty logical thing to do.

:(

And don't forget, Csaba said we should have beaten Hibs and Aberdeen, so we're actually five points clear of them.

:biggrin:

Let's see how the rest of this round of fixtures pans out. United had all kinds of problems with Gretna last season, so it's not a given they'll pick off the bottom three as we have; and as for us, I'm setting an extremely modest personal target. We only took 5 points from 24 against the other sides first time out - so all I'm looking for is an improvement on this.

This is surely likely (say, by beating Hibs at Tynie, and/or beating Falkirk next week) - and if we can manage it, we should be no worse than 6th after 22 matches. The league will stretch out as the season goes on, giving us more margin for error, and clarifying exactly where this campaign is headed.

:biggrin:

Let's see how the rest of this round of fixtures pans out. United had all kinds of problems with Gretna last season, so it's not a given they'll pick off the bottom three as we have; and as for us, I'm setting an extremely modest personal target. We only took 5 points from 24 against the other sides first time out - so all I'm looking for is an improvement on this.

This is surely likely (say, by beating Hibs at Tynie, and/or beating Falkirk next week) - and if we can manage it, we should be no worse than 6th after 22 matches. The league will stretch out as the season goes on, giving us more margin for error, and clarifying exactly where this campaign is headed.

To be fair i don't think the league will stretch out that much, certainly not enough to give us much "margin of error" as you put it, every team outwith the OF are taking points from each other including ourselves. Each are just as capable of beating the other, and i expect the league from 3rd down to be very tight.

To be fair i don't think the league will stretch out that much, certainly not enough to give us much "margin of error" as you put it, every team outwith the OF are taking points from each other including ourselves. Each are just as capable of beating the other, and i expect the league from 3rd down to be very tight.

It's bound to to some degree. Come the split, you should see one or two sides on 50 points or thereabouts; and two or three in the low to mid-40s, battling for a top half finish. The league was pretty tight this time last year too: it's already stretched out slightly compared with a fortnight back, and I think it's obvious who the bottom three will be. It's 3rd to 9th that's in doubt at present - but I imagine that will gradually clarify itself too (with United extremely likely to be at the top end of this group; and Hibs and possibly Falkirk at the bottom end).

Charlie-Brown

And don't forget, Csaba said we should have beaten Hibs and Aberdeen, so we're actually five points clear of them.

What Iam saying Leginten is that they took less points against the other 10 teams than we did in the first round of fixtures as evidenced by the fact they were only 2 points ahead of us courtesy of the 3 points they took from us.

We took 14 points from 11 games including a defeat at Tannadice, they took 16 points including their win over us at Tannadice therefore they only took 13 points against the other 10 teams compared to our 14 from the same games.

What Iam saying Leginten is that they took less points against the other 10 teams than we did in the first round of fixtures as evidenced by the fact they were only 2 points ahead of us courtesy of the 3 points they took from us.

We took 14 points from 11 games including a defeat at Tannadice, they took 16 points including their win over us at Tannadice therefore they only took 13 points against the other 10 teams compared to our 14 from the same games.

They had a rubbish start to the season. Since then they've picked up and have shown themselves capable of giving anyone a game. They scored three at Ibrox recently.

While my praise for what we have achieved this week is on record here, I'm under no illusions. We are not yet capable of giving the best teams in the league a game, as evidenced by our displays against United and the Old Firm (two of which were embarrassments). If we are to achieve anything beyond borderline top six this season, we'll have to improve against them and the other top six aspirants. That's the challenge.

Charlie-Brown

Utd did have a rubbish start to the season and a fairly dismal last couple of months at the end of last season however they had picked up form and put an impressive haul of points together until they got turned over yesterday - yes I think they look more capable than we do currently however they too are not immune to dropping points as we've seen ample evidence of already and whilst we get some legitimate criticism for having only beaten the bottom teams we have still managed to pick up more wins and points in comparitive terms than those we are competing with including Killie & Dundee Utd who only ended the first sequence ahead of us specifically because they won the head to head matches between us & them - basically all points won and all goals scored are of equal value and 3 points is still only 3 points whether it's Aberdeen or Hamilton or the Old Firm, we have consistently beaten the bottom teams - the others haven't been able to achieve that consistently yet hence they are below us.

Exactly. CB, normally the bastion of fact, is now going in for "if your ma had a wullie she'd be your da" nonsense.

Utd did have a rubbish start to the season and a fairly dismal last couple of months at the end of last season however they had picked up form and put an impressive haul of points together until they got turned over yesterday - yes I think they look more capable than we do currently however they too are not immune to dropping points as we've seen ample evidence of already and whilst we get some legitimate criticism for having only beaten the bottom teams we have still managed to pick up more wins and points in comparitive terms than those we are competing with including Killie & Dundee Utd who only ended the first sequence ahead of us specifically because they won the head to head matches between us & them - basically all points won and all goals scored are of equal value and 3 points is still only 3 points whether it's Aberdeen or Hamilton or the Old Firm, we have consistently beaten the bottom teams - the others haven't been able to achieve that consistently yet hence they are below us.

I think that's the main point, you have to beat those your competing with, Killie and United are doing that but so far we have not.

United deserve their plaudits, they are playing good football and despite a bad result on Sat and a bad start to the season they had put together a very good run of 8 unbeaten games or something like that, as leginten said above they are capable of giving everyone in the league a game and taking points off them.

I'm sure they will drop more points this season but then i'm equally sure we will as well, that is where the difference in performances come in - good football doesn't always lead to points but it certainly helps, We have had a g

ood run in the last few weeks but the poor performances don't inspire confidence that it will last against the better teams.

You speak a lot of sense Spellczech but sure this is absolutely the be all and end all?!

If you win every game 1-0 you win the league no matter how badly you play in those games.

Yep but extrapolating 3 or even 6 wins against the bottom 3 teams in the league into going undefeated all season is not reasonable. My point was more that we are squeaking wins against the poorer teams and that a shoeing is looking as if it could be just around the corner and United could well be the team to dish it out to us (again).

United had a poor start to the season and IIRC were bottom six after 5 games but about 3rd after the first round of 10. Ergo their "easier" games may still be to come...including us on recent matches!

Charlie-Brown

Kilmarnock & Dundee Utd have both taken 3 points off Hearts in had to head games despite that they are both still below us in the table ergo they have taken less points from the all other teams than we have - we have been able to lose to both of them ie drop 6 points to them directly and still win more points than them.

Kilmarnock & Dundee Utd have both taken 3 points off Hearts in had to head games despite that they are both still below us in the table ergo they have taken less points from the all other teams than we have - we have been able to lose to both of them ie drop 6 points to them directly and still win more points than them.

You really are having reading difficulties.

They will always be no-mark Dungdeh Hibernian to me. :mad:

Having said that, I am grateful to them and Kjell Olofsson for relegating Leith Flair FC a few years ago.

Dundee Utd grew out of that p!sh decades ago. Maybe you should try doing the same?

Charlie-Brown
You really are having reading difficulties.

In what way BH?

To summarise, Dundee Utd have lost to Killie twice but still sit above them, Utd have taken points from both the Old Firm but neither Hearts nor Killie have, Utd beat Hearts but are still below us.

Killie beat both Hearts and Utd (twice) but have taken zero points against the Old Firm and less points than Utd or Hearts in the other games.

Hearts have lost to both Utd and Killie and the Old Firm but sit above both Killie and Utd cos our record in the other games against the other teams is better. Both Hearts & Utd have only played the Old Firm in 2 games compared to Kilmarnocks 4 games v the Uglies however Killie's maximum points against the 2 teams above them has been negated by taking less points against the teams below.

Dundee Utd grew out of that p!sh decades ago. Maybe you should try doing the same?

My sentiments exactly,as I said earlier...he'll grow out of it!

My sentiments exactly,as I said earlier...he'll grow out of it!

No he won't! Therapist is Peter Pan. :)

Archived