Dundee Utd = Sliced Bread [Best thing since]!!!

Eggo

well according to the Weej media in the last few weeks.

According to the media [west based] Dundee Utd have been,a breath of fresh air,a much needed change to the SPL and even title contenders one of there players proclaimed etc etc guff,guff and more guff!

Now weve had the audacity to go above them,we are the Ugly sweaties,fortunate,unattractive beasts of the East who have been grinding out results[maybe so],but maybe,just maybe a wee bit credit from the press would be fair...or is that just too much to ask?

3rd and delighted :)

According to the media [west based] Dundee Utd have been,a breath of fresh air,a much needed change to the SPL and even title contenders one of there players proclaimed etc etc guff,guff and more guff!

Now weve had the audacity to go above them,we are the Ugly sweaties,fortunate,unattractive beasts of the East who have been grinding out results[maybe so],but maybe,just maybe a wee bit credit from the press would be fair...or is that just too much to ask?

To be fair a lot of us are less than convinced that we have genuinely turned the corner. Squeaking wins is one thing but these wins have been against teams that the OF regularly put 3 or 4 past. We don't look comfortable and we don't look very good TBH...For once, I have to side with the self-proclaimed "realists" and say that we have to keep perspective. Results are not the be all and end all. A serious pumping is not far off if we don't start to play football again...and it would not surprise me if United were once again the team to deliver that pumping.

Charlie-Brown

All the teams below us will take & drop points from each other as has been seen, Utd thumped us but are currently below us because overall their results have been not as good as ours, people say we only beat St Mirren, Hamilton and Inverness etc but this is something that our non-Old Firm SPL rivals have failed to do and is a principle reason why we currently sit above them all in third.

To be fair a lot of us are less than convinced that we have genuinely turned the corner. Squeaking wins is one thing but these wins have been against teams that the OF regularly put 3 or 4 past. We don't look comfortable and we don't look very good TBH...For once, I have to side with the self-proclaimed "realists" and say that we have to keep perspective. Results are not the be all and end all. A serious pumping is not far off if we don't start to play football again...and it would not surprise me if United were once again the team to deliver that pumping.

Just some credit though,you dont win games in any league without some effort!

I know were not exactly playing good football,but we are registering points and thats what its about.

Jam Tarts 1874

Dundee Utd are no different from ourselves or most other teams in the SPL. One or two decent players, only playing football in patches, always likely to throw away points against the other teams in the same region of the league.

Just some credit though,you dont win games in any league without some effort!

I know were not exactly playing good football,but we are registering points and thats what its about.

We don't get credit from some of our so called fans for winning football matches.

I don't expect any from the media any time soon.

everybody hates us .... and we don't care !

I don't give a monkeys if they never report us in a good light .... I'll take us quietly challenging for the league, and winning the cup just fine

We don't get credit from some of our so called fans for winning football matches.

I don't expect any from the media any time soon.

Youve got that right...some of our "fans" comments on here are ridiculous!

Guest JamboRobbo
All the teams below us will take & drop points from each other as has been seen, Utd thumped us but are currently below us because overall their results have been not as good as ours, people say we only beat St Mirren, Hamilton and Inverness etc but this is something that our non-Old Firm SPL rivals have failed to do and is a principle reason why we currently sit above them all in third.

The principle reason we sit third, is that we've won our last 3 games in a row. Against 3 of the bottom teams.

It's great that we've picked up those points, but we've now got to maintain that through some of the tougher games, otherwise we'll be overhauled again, just like we were after a similar start against the same set of teams last time round.

And reading the Scostman report this morning, we seemed to get a fair bit credit IMO.

winston churchill

listening to them summing up the game on radio scotland, and also mentioning we are now third.

you would have thought they were anounncing a death in the family.

as for winnig ugly,scrapping games ect

the table doesn't lie.

Charlie-Brown
The principle reason we sit third, is that we've won our last 3 games in a row. Against 3 of the bottom teams.

It's great that we've picked up those points, but we've now got to maintain that through some of the tougher games, otherwise we'll be overhauled again, just like we were after a similar start against the same set of teams last time round.

And reading the Scostman report this morning, we seemed to get a fair bit credit IMO.

Dundee Utd failed to beat Hamilton, Hibs just recently took 1pt from 6 against St Mirren and Inverness - Hamilton, St Mirren and Inverness have 36 points between them, none of those won from us, so we are at least doing something right and doing better than the other teams below us thus far.

Guest JamboRobbo
Dundee Utd failed to beat Hamilton, Hibs just recently took 1pt from 6 against St Mirren and Inverness - Hamilton, St Mirren and Inverness have 36 points between them, none of those won from us, so we are at least doing something right and doing better than the other teams below us thus far.

I'm not knocking the current run of results, 3 points are 3 points, I'm just saying that we'll need to maintain that against teams that aren't St Mirren, Inverness and Hamilton, or we'll soon be back where we started.

We've got 23 points this season. We've taking 18 of those points from St Mirren, Inverness and Hamilton. So I think it's fair to say we need to try and maintain our current run of wins against some of the other teams!

Charlie-Brown
I'm not knocking the current run of results, 3 points are 3 points, I'm just saying that we'll need to maintain that against teams that aren't St Mirren, Inverness and Hamilton, or we'll soon be back where we started.

We've got 23 points this season. We've taking 18 of those points from St Mirren, Inverness and Hamilton. So I think it's fair to say we need to try and maintain our current run of wins against some of the other teams!

Thats a fair point JR - we are third because we've won more games than those below us, we have consistenly beat the bottom teams, they haven't - yes we need to do better against the other teams but all the games except those against the Old Firm and Utd were very close with some being won, drawn and lost and a goal in it either way - we beat motherwell by a goal, lost by a goal to falkirk & killie, drew with hibs & dons - these games could just has easily have been won as lost and the fact we've tightened up a bit at the back should give us a wee bit more confidence of at least taking an even split of the points from those games.

Guest JamboRobbo
Thats a fair point JR - we are third because we've won more games than those below us, we have consistenly beat the bottom teams, they haven't - yes we need to do better against the other teams but all the games except those against the Old Firm and Utd were very close with some being won, drawn and lost and a goal in it either way - we beat motherwell by a goal, lost by a goal to falkirk & killie, drew with hibs & dons - these games could just has easily have been won as lost and the fact we've tightened up a bit at the back should give us a wee bit more confidence of at least taking an even split of the points from those games.

We've played all the bottom teams twice, they haven't.

Thats all I'm saying, that we've now got maintain our form through some tougher games.

The table has us 3rd,so ill take it the teams below us have failed to do exactly what weve done...its not all doom and gloom!

And Rangers failed to beat St Midden.

The Falkirk game at home is a big game for us. If we get 3 points, we will strengthen our position and give us a small cushion for some more difficult games.

However our home record isn't that great against them recently and our away record is poor. We are due a decent result against them, and the team needs our support.

However, the moaners will be more interested in boycotting and posting abusive comments about Romanov than supporting the team.

If we can get to January in a strong position in the League, and strengthened a few key positions, we could have a very good second half of the season in the League and Cup.

The Falkirk game at home is a big game for us. If we get 3 points, we will strengthen our position and give us a small cushion for some more difficult games.

However our home record isn't that great against them recently and our away record is poor. We are due a decent result against them, and the team needs our support.

However, the moaners will be more interested in boycotting and posting abusive comments about Romanov than supporting the team.

If we can get to January in a strong position in the League, and strengthened a few key positions, we could have a very good second half of the season in the League and Cup.

Good shout,I agree with it all.

I'M IBRAHIM TALL

In fairness Dundee Unitd are getting the same treatment just now that we have had in the past. The weej media like a wee pet club to drool over outwith the Old Firm and we've been there a couple of times.

I would take a manky 1-0 against Falkirk though. If we do score a barrow load and play like Brazil then so be it but I cant see it with the players we have. But we are industrious and we can keep the ball which makes us hard to beat. United do play some nice stuff but its not Egg Chasing and you dont get extra points for scoring more or winning fancy.

I would really love us to be third come the window opening which may encourage Vlad to allow Csaba 2 or 3 new players in the door. Maybe the kind of players that can entertain and play a bit of football. That might be unlikely though so until then it looks like its down the win ugly route for us. Hopefully.

Or we could go three up front and play like Brazil. Cos thats working a ****ing treat eh!!!!!!!

But they'll come running back once things are good again.:rolleyes:

The Wegie media seem to only really notice games involving the Old Firm. So obviously the fact that United have yet to lose against the Old Firm attracts more attention than them dropping points to less "glamorous" opponents.

Incidentally while it's no doubt true that having had easier fixtures flatters our position Dundee United themselves have only played 2nd games against Aberdeen, Hibs and Kille, That's more challenging but it's not as if they were faced with a herculean challenge at the start of the second set of games..

Kilmarnock on the other hand faced Rangers, Celtic and then Dundee United.

They are arguably currently in a stronger position than either United or Hearts, sitting only 4 behind us and 2 behind United but having already got their second Old Firm fixtures out the way.

Charlie-Brown

What you write about Killie is true topcat and their run of fixtures should get slightly easier however they are still 4 points behind us and that includes 3 points they took from us at tynecastle so it suggests that their record against all the other teams isn't vastly superior to ours if it even is at all.

Results are not the be all and end all.

You speak a lot of sense Spellczech but sure this is absolutely the be all and end all?!

If you win every game 1-0 you win the league no matter how badly you play in those games.

Charlie-Brown

Frail in his full round of fixtures made us hard to beat and with the benefit of a few velicka goals we won a number of games 1-0 grinding out results, it was argued despite that even though performances were still quite poor that kind of points accumulation would put you in contention for a top 6 / uefa cup place over the course of a season - that might be the best any manager can produce or expect from the current group of players.

Frail in his full round of fixtures made us hard to beat and with the benefit of a few velicka goals we won a number of games 1-0 grinding out results, it was argued despite that even though performances were still quite poor that kind of points accumulation would put you in contention for a top 6 / uefa cup place over the course of a season - that might be the best any manager can produce or expect from the current group of players.

If we can hang in around positions 3,4 and 5 AND can change the squad around a bit in January then we will be able to judge Csaba's tenure and abilities a bit better. We are doing better than I expected, in terms of league position, at present.

We need 3 points next week no matter how they are achieved.

The next 3 maybe even 4 games could decide our season after the Falkirk match

Rangers - Home

Motherwell - Away

Celtic - Away

Dundee Utd -Home

How many points do people honestly expect us to get from those 4 games?

A win against Falkirk will make it 4 out of 4 wins and hopefully some confidence will be in the team, The defence yesterday recieved huge credit and applause by all accounts, were tightening up in that area, what we need is the same thing we have needed all season and even last and thats a proven goalscorer.

According to the media [west based] Dundee Utd have been,a breath of fresh air,a much needed change to the SPL and even title contenders one of there players proclaimed etc etc guff,guff and more guff!Now weve had the audacity to go above them,we are the Ugly sweaties,fortunate,unattractive beasts of the East who have been grinding out results[maybe so],but maybe,just maybe a wee bit credit from the press would be fair...or is that just too much to ask?

Replace Heart of Midlothian for Dundee United and you get the exact same headlines 3 years ago,so "credit where credit's due" was given.

Man, what little memory you have.

I totally agree with you mate.

The problem is, do we really think that VR will back Csaba with funds to strengthen the team in January.

Csaba is now bound to know which postitions need attention, IMO 2 strikers, left back, attacking midfielder & centre half.

Hopefully Csaba gets to bring in his OWN players and not dome diddys that VR thinks will pacify the fans again.

If we can bring in players of quality for the aforementioned positions in January, I think we can finish 3rd with no problems and that means european football and that means more money coming into the club and possibly more season tickets getting sold in the summer.

Or is that too difficult for VR to understand.

I totally agree with you mate.

The problem is, do we really think that VR will back Csaba with funds to strengthen the team in January.

Csaba is now bound to know which postitions need attention, IMO 2 strikers, left back, attacking midfielder & centre half.

Hopefully Csaba gets to bring in his OWN players and not dome diddys that VR thinks will pacify the fans again.

If we can bring in players of quality for the aforementioned positions in January, I think we can finish 3rd with no problems and that means european football and that means more money coming into the club and possibly more season tickets getting sold in the summer.

Or is that too difficult for VR to understand.

Never going to happen mate,he say's so himself,all transfers will be decided by a committee as per usual,

coach=small input,maybe one player he wants, if any at all.

Committee(Vlad/Korabotchup and no doubt some other yes man)=all the rest off/all off the players.

This has been confirmed many times by Csaba himself.

Rangers - Home

Motherwell - Away

Celtic - Away

Dundee Utd -Home

A win against Falkirk will make it 4 out of 4 wins and hopefully some confidence will be in the team, The defence yesterday recieved huge credit and applause by all accounts, were tightening up in that area, what we need is the same thing we have needed all season and even last and thats a proven goalscorer.

1. :(

Rangers - Home

Motherwell - Away

Celtic - Away

Dundee Utd -Home

It depends what players we have available. If we lose players through injury and suspension then it will be difficult. 5 or 6 points would be good.

Dr Ian Malcolm

I actually fancy us to beat Motherwell - our recent record there is pretty goood (unless we were playing Gretna). They're in a poor run of form just now (one season wonders?) and we'll have taken some confidence from our recent run (especially defensively).

Rangers & Celtic - I never expect any points, although the Huns have stuttered a little recently. I'd settle for a much improved performance from the Celtic game and hopefully we can get something. If not, its no disaster.

Dundee Utd at home is important. To be honest, they've been pumping us regularly for about a year and it needs to stop, especialy at Tynecastle. Even a point at home would hopefully keep as pretty much at the same level. If we are going to challenge for third spot, we'll be competing for it with them and the sheepies IMO.

Replace Heart of Midlothian for Dundee United and you get the exact same headlines 3 years ago,so "credit where credit's due" was given.

Man, what little memory you have.

Dont do the history bit...football moves by the minute.Do feel free to move on from 3 years ago,I know you must find it difficult but try your best!;)

MacDonald Jardine

It is funny that Dundee United for being such an ideally run club with a proper manager are now behind us.

The truth is we're all much of a muchness but some get a better press.

I see what you are saying, but look at Hearts for a second. In the first eleven fixtures of the season we....

Defeated Hamilton, Motherwell, Inverness, and St Mirren

Drew with Aberdeen and Hibs

Lost to R@ng*rs, C*lt!c, Falkirk, Dundee United and Kilmarnock

We have so far (admittedly only 3 games) imitated that sequence in the second set of eleven fixtures. If we are to gain places, we need to look to get results against the other seven teams.

Now, back to your post, Dundee United were above us at the end of eleven fixtures, how they did it doesn't matter, they were above us. I will only start saying "you cannae win at Hamilton but we can!" when we are amassing more points than them as they can point to teams they beat but we failed against.

United's next 3 games are against the 3 teams we have just played.

I'd expect them to win 7 or 9 points.

It'll be tough to stay in 3rd.

United's next 3 games are against the 3 teams we have just played.

I'd expect them to win 7 or 9 points.

It'll be tough to stay in 3rd.

Off course it will,and if we do I wonder if the media or even our own doubting fans will shower the team with praise!

Off course it will,and if we do I wonder if the media or even our own doubting fans will shower the team with praise!

I think Csaba is doing a very good job with the squad he has at his disposal.

If he's allowed to bring in the players he wants in January, we could go on to have a decent season.

I think Csaba is doing a very good job with the squad he has at his disposal.

If he's allowed to bring in the players he wants in January, we could go on to have a decent season.

Lets hope so...missing European jollys badly:(

Eldar Hadzimehmedovic

Is it possible to post abusive stuff about Romanov and support the team at the same time?

winston churchill
Lets hope so...missing European jollys badly:(

correct

i've done the german trip for the last two seasons.

it's not like the real thing:mad:

They will always be no-mark Dungdeh Hibernian to me. :mad:

Having said that, I am grateful to them and Kjell Olofsson for relegating Leith Flair FC a few years ago.

They will always be no-mark Dungdeh Hibernian to me. :mad:

Having said that, I am grateful to them and Kjell Olofsson for relegating Leith Flair FC a few years ago.

You will fortunately grow out the Dundee Hibs thing,weve all been there and wore the t-shirt.

And I missed the derby matches when they went down...big time!

Disagree with Spellczech(tempting fate here!) that DU will be the team that hand out our overdue pumping!

Are we overdue a "pumping"? No.

Hearts are hard to beat but need to improve on going forward. We are hardly conceding loads of chances that we have been getting away with, which would constitute more of a reason to think our luck will run out soon.

In fact, going by reports we had a couple of efforts to extend our lead yesterday while Inverness had a couple of close chances which you`d expect a home team to muster.

For how bad we were against Hamilton in the 2nd half Offion had their one notable effort of a free header, and that was it.

Against St Midden it was well documented they did`nt have a shot of note.

So no , we`re not due a pumping. In fact, after our two performances against Aberdeen and Hibs recently i thought we were eventually going to hand out a skelping after the chances we missed.

But what it proves is , each game is different and what you create in the previous game means feck all in the next.

Charlie-Brown

Dundee Utd were ahead of us by 2 points after the full round of fixtures - if you subtract the 3 points they won beating us it suggests they did worse against all the other SPL teams than we did and were only ahead of us courtesy of the head-to-head victory they got by thumping us at Tannadice, since then they've taken 6 points compared to our 9 pts and trail us by 1 point.

EDIT: corrected Utd were 2 ahead now 1 behind.

According to the media [west based] Dundee Utd have been,a breath of fresh air,a much needed change to the SPL and even title contenders

As well as the weegie media, there have also been some on here proclaiming the same.

Dundee Utd were ahead of us by 2 points after the full round of fixtures - if you subtract the 3 points they won beating us it suggests they did worse against all the other SPL teams than we did and were only ahead of us courtesy of the head-to-head victory they got by thumping us at Tannadice, since then they've taken 6 points compared to our 9 pts and trail us by 1 point.

EDIT: corrected Utd were 2 ahead now 1 behind.

Yes, that would seem a pretty logical thing to do.

:(

And don't forget, Csaba said we should have beaten Hibs and Aberdeen, so we're actually five points clear of them.

Archived