How many times do you hear pundits say you have to win ugly.

Dr. Bapswent

jambos are go!

Seems to me that Lazlo has realised that most SPL teams cant break down 2 solid banks of four.That has worked in the last 2 games and one goal is enough. I remember Brad Friedel saying it was the way most lesser teams in the premeirship played. He said it was not pretty - he was right.

We need more flair up front to change things IMO. What happens in the January window is the key.

I don't think that is actually true.............unless one or more punters in your vicinity were to blame ?

You could hear a pin drop up in the main stand where I was so 'getting right on the players backs' is a falsehood IMO

Anyway, it's all very well to talk about winning ugly, but that is only really acceptable when we are talking about good footballing sides who have, on the odd occasion, been forced to go toe to toe with a stubborn foe and have shown commendable grit to win the fight. It is not an excuse that should be accepted from a team with the 3rd highest SPL wage bill...........and on the back of a simply pathetic performance against Celtic and a dreary draw away at LOWLY St Mirren ( albeit with 10 men )

Flinging these hoary old expressions in to attempt to justify last nights dismal performance is 'Spin' of the lowest order ..........IMO of course

I think you'll find we won that game.

I'll take winning ugly every time just because the operative word is WINNING. Did you guys really expect Hamilton to just lie down and let us run over the top of them. They were 1-0 down and are bottom of the league, they have nothing to lose by having a go. They are a wounded animal at the moment and I fully expect them to give every team in the SPL a run for their money. Not trying to justify Hearts lack of effort on the attacking side just pointing out that there was two teams on the park last night. Bottom line is that we won the game (I dread to think what this place would have been like had we lost it).

BTW, for those that come out with that old gem that the league table never lies, which was mentioned a few times last week after the Celtic game as absolute proof that we have not progressed since last season, then if it was telling the truth last week when we were 8th, I take it it has now all of a sudden taken to lying through it's teeth now that we are 4th.

6 points out of 6, long may this winning streak last eh? Or maybe some don't want it to last so they can come on here and say I told you so, I don't know why some of you keep supporting Hearts, really I don't.

Guest JamboRobbo

BTW, for those that come out with that old gem that the league table never lies, which was mentioned a few times last week after the Celtic game as absolute proof that we have not progressed since last season, then if it was telling the truth last week when we were 8th, I take it it has now all of a sudden taken to lying through it's teeth now that we are 4th.

A round of games is 11 matches. Each team plays each team once. At the end of it, we've had an even spread of fixtures, and we can see where we all stand for that quarter.

This season, Hearts start each quarter by playing the bottom four teams in a row (St Mirren, Hamilton, Inveress and Falkirk). That allowed us to get some points in the bag last quarter, before falling away when we played the better teams. We appear to be doing the same this quarter.

Little point getting carried away (as you are) by a couple of wins agains the bottom two teams.

It's only after a round of games that we can fairly assess performance compared with others.

6 points out of 6, long may this winning streak last eh? Or maybe some don't want it to last so they can come on here and say I told you so, I don't know why some of you keep supporting Hearts, really I don't.

Against the bottom two teams in the league. Somehow, I doubt the SPL will let us play agains the bottom teams every week.

I don't know what is so difficult about facing reality rather than deluding yourself, really I don't.

Lets face it the football served up is rubbish. What do they practice in training because it clearly doesn't work. Zali is a liability and could have given a penalty away. Kari continues to do well in midfield but is clearly a defender. The best tackler in the team plays at right back instead of midfield, and we persist with one up front and punt high hopeful balls to him. We need a goalkeeper who can dominate his area and can kick the ball.

If this is the best we can expect from the team then we will not finish fourth which some people seem to be currently delighted with.

Shabas basic grasp of tactics and when to change things around is becoming worrying as we are continually over run by inferior teams.

And before anyone has a go I cheered the team and up until now have not booed them at all, but I can understand peoples anger at a time when we should even on a bad day be beating a team at the bottom of the league.

A round of games is 11 matches. Each team plays each team once. At the end of it, we've had an even spread of fixtures, and we can see where we all stand for that quarter.

This season, Hearts start each quarter by playing the bottom four teams in a row (St Mirren, Hamilton, Inveress and Falkirk). That allowed us to get some points in the bag last quarter, before falling away when we played the better teams. We appear to be doing the same this quarter.

Little point getting carried away (as you are) by a couple of wins agains the bottom two teams.

It's only after a round of games that we can fairly assess performance compared with others.

Against the bottom two teams in the league. Somehow, I doubt the SPL will let us play agains the bottom teams every week.

I don't know what is so difficult about facing reality rather than deluding yourself, really I don't.

My point exactly!!

I've seen us play much better than that and get absolutely hammered. Been thoroughly deserved hammerings as well which indicates how poor we were.

Always glad of a win, but that performance was absolutely stinking. I can put up with a season of woeful performances if it means lots of 1-0 wins, mind.

Francis Albert

Don't we have to lose at least one game in the second quarter before it "appears to be happening again"?

I think you'll find we won that game.

I'll take winning ugly every time just because the operative word is WINNING. Did you guys really expect Hamilton to just lie down and let us run over the top of them. They were 1-0 down and are bottom of the league, they have nothing to lose by having a go. They are a wounded animal at the moment and I fully expect them to give every team in the SPL a run for their money. Not trying to justify Hearts lack of effort on the attacking side just pointing out that there was two teams on the park last night. Bottom line is that we won the game (I dread to think what this place would have been like had we lost it).

oops :hobofish::P

Anyway :P

I have no problem if we are to remain underachievers forever more ?

I maybe didn't quite realise that when I took the King's shilling but sadly that is what it is to be a Hearts supporter :cool:

However, playing below the low standards we have already set is really more than I can bear at times

Ok, getting that ugly result at Darkheid or the Bronx is more than acceptable as it takes on a whole different complexion. You can take it for granted that they have fielded a more than decent side against us and if you then factor in all the times we've outplayed them, yet come away with nothing...........well it's within the realms of poetic justice :)

However that sort of performance last night is just not on. We simply SHOULD NOT be talking in terms of playing ugly to beat the Accies of this World .............end of :mad:

I wonder what the crowds would be like if we went through the entire season scraping 1-0 wins, by scoring one scrappy goal while conceeding none and playing dire hoofball for the entire 90 mins ?

Guest JamboRobbo
Don't we have to lose at least one game in the second quarter before it "appears to be happening again"?

I was meaning the "picking up points against the ****e" bit seems to be happening again. I'm gonna wait till we play some of the better teams before I start getting excited about our "winning streak" though!

The booing culture which has developed among Hearts fans is completely over the top.

One of the highlights being FT, HT/ET and FT/ET of the Cup Final in 06.

Great way to encourage the team to a cup win lads and lassies :rolleyes:

It spread to booing Lithuanian players when the team line up was read out - regardless of form or otherwise. How come Stewart's name never got booed last season?

Then we boo youngsters as they come on the pitch - welcome to Tynecastle Elliot and Mole.

Now we even boo after wins!

The atmosphere at Tynecastle is getting pretty horrible now and I wouldn't be surprised if we started doing a lot better away from home then at home.

The support the team gets away from home is generally exactly that - support.

I'm not saying people can't be unhappy. I think Robbie's s***e, so's Mole, Audrey should go back to Kaunas and Balogh should be on the bench at most. But I'm not going to boo plyers on and/or off the park because of it. First and foremost I want my team to win, and I believe they're more likely to do that, or at least perform well, if they get support from the stands rather than abuse.

In that sense booing at the end is maybe slightly more understandable as it gets a point across when the game is over, but some reasoning has to be put into booing before it happens all the time.

I was actually suite surprised that people booed last night. I said to my mate with 5 mins to go that no-one would boo because we'd won, but had we drawn or lost as could easily have happened, the boos would ring out. Instead the fans reacted to a poor performance by booing. Pretty logical really, and I can't blame them.

But if we play really well but lose very unluckily, whether to the OF or Falkirk (away match earlier this season springs to mind) do we accept it wasn't our day and go home? I doubt it, the boos will ring out again, regardless of performance.

So we get ourselves into a situation where all results (at home at least, to start with) are met with boos unless we play free-flowing, fast, attacking football and win by at least 2 goals.

I reckon if the home Bordeaux game was played now, the players would be bood off the pitch at the end, instead of just accepting that the better team over two legs won, scoring one wonder goal in the process.

So, the winning ugly analogy breaks down then.

Not at all,

A poor side winning is something to be celebrated,

A poor side getting booed for not being able to be a good side (because they don't have the ability) is a bit unfair, its not their fault.

Not at all,

A poor side getting booed for not being able to be a good side (because they don't have the ability) is a bit unfair, its not their fault.

Maybe the boo's were directed at the root cause and not at the players?

Guest S.U.S.S.

there is a difference between winning ugly, i.e no flair, no great passing movements and simply hanging on when not playing well to win.

Maybe the boo's were directed at the root cause and not at the players?

And they can tell that?

Mole knew that when he came on it wasn't because he is disliked.

Either way, the poor lad is gonna relate the bad feeling with him, not much else.

And they can tell that?

Mole knew that when he came on it wasn't because he is disliked.

Either way, the poor lad is gonna relate the bad feeling with him, not much else.

I'm starting to worry now that the boo's may have an adverse affect on his performances.

I really hope he doesn't start missing chances because of this.

Not at all,

That excuse you could swallow.............if we were talking about East Fife !

However, we are talking about players from arguably one of the top clubs ( financially ) in the country, with the benefit of state of the art facilities at their disposal ??

That excuse you could swallow.............if we were talking about East Fife !

However, we are talking about players from arguably one of the top clubs ( financially ) in the country, with the benefit of state of the art facilities at their disposal ??

Just because they are at Hearts does not mean they are that good.

Why should it?

Facilities yes, but thats no substitute for innate ability.

The booing culture which has developed among Hearts fans is completely over the top.

One of the highlights being FT, HT/ET and FT/ET of the Cup Final in 06.

Great way to encourage the team to a cup win lads and lassies :rolleyes:

It spread to booing Lithuanian players when the team line up was read out - regardless of form or otherwise. How come Stewart's name never got booed last season?

Then we boo youngsters as they come on the pitch - welcome to Tynecastle Elliot and Mole.

Now we even boo after wins!

The atmosphere at Tynecastle is getting pretty horrible now and I wouldn't be surprised if we started doing a lot better away from home then at home.

The support the team gets away from home is generally exactly that - support.

I'm not saying people can't be unhappy. I think Robbie's s***e, so's Mole, Audrey should go back to Kaunas and Balogh should be on the bench at most. But I'm not going to boo plyers on and/or off the park because of it. First and foremost I want my team to win, and I believe they're more likely to do that, or at least perform well, if they get support from the stands rather than abuse.

In that sense booing at the end is maybe slightly more understandable as it gets a point across when the game is over, but some reasoning has to be put into booing before it happens all the time.

I was actually suite surprised that people booed last night. I said to my mate with 5 mins to go that no-one would boo because we'd won, but had we drawn or lost as could easily have happened, the boos would ring out. Instead the fans reacted to a poor performance by booing. Pretty logical really, and I can't blame them.

But if we play really well but lose very unluckily, whether to the OF or Falkirk (away match earlier this season springs to mind) do we accept it wasn't our day and go home? I doubt it, the boos will ring out again, regardless of performance.

So we get ourselves into a situation where all results (at home at least, to start with) are met with boos unless we play free-flowing, fast, attacking football and win by at least 2 goals.

I reckon if the home Bordeaux game was played now, the players would be bood off the pitch at the end, instead of just accepting that the better team over two legs won, scoring one wonder goal in the process.

Don't think that's deserved TBH. He's played 4 1/2 games for us and let in 3 goals, none of which were his fault. I thought Goalkeepers were judged on the amount of clean sheets they rack up, no? Balogh has 3 out of 4 1/2 games. But never mind, he plays for Hearts and came from Kaunas so he must be shet eh.

And thats what we did.

But its not good enough for the Hearts fans! Oh No.

Why is that?

Are the fans so conceited that they demand and expect AMAZING football every game. Jeez, have a word.

So conceited they think its OK to boo a winning team who are sitting 4th.

No wonder the team cant get a grip of themselves, when the so called fans cant even get behind them, even after solid performances against Hibs and Aberdeen.

The team isn't great, the organization isn't great, but the support is embarrassing.

Booing Mole for coming on for an injured Nade.....jeeez.

I think the point sweaty baps is not the result.

We would all take 38 games of 1 nil wins

It is the fact that if we played a decent team last night we would have taken a royal tanking!

I think the point sweaty baps is not the result.

We would all take 38 games of 1 nil wins

It is the fact that if we played a decent team last night we would have taken a royal tanking!

However it is not their fault, they are just bad players and can't do anything about that. Uh-huh.

Surely Korabochka should know by now who's pish and advised Csaba to get rid in the summer, or at least brought in new players to provide adequate cover for these positions (not sign injured players), or Csaba at least start looking to bring some youth through to replace the worst performers?

Nobody does nowt though, and I don't pity the poor players we have, they get paid far more than most so should be happy to take the flak knowing once that contract runs out they'll be unlikely to get another elsewhere.

Agree. It's no coincedance that we are playing worse at home, from the 2nd minute fans were on the players backs:o

Yet the facts suggest the total opposite of that. Our away record is dreadful and only winning at the 2 worst teams in the league.

Not at all,

I repeat, so the analogy doesn't work.

The analogy is only pertinent when talking about a team that generally wins well but occasionally scrapes a game whilst not playing well.

A poor side that loses and draws often but occasionally wins (whilst playing just as bad as the losses) is just a poor team scraping a result.

As for the booing, I was not there and cannot say whether it is fair or not, however, from that team that played, there are players that are highly thought of by Hearts fans, I would suggest that only Jamie Mole and Marius Zaliukas have had more criticism than praise. We cannot say they are good players when they are doing well but then say that it is not their fault when they play poorly.

Archived