bbc1 now WATCH AND LEARN !!!!!

dodemac

eighteen seventyfour

Just got round to watch Supreme Sacrifice for the first time today, felt I had to make comment, the most heart-rending programme I've watched in all my years, the staggering amount of courage and bravery shown by these Hearts players (obviously extends to all who accompanied) was on a level none of us will most likely come close too.

Endless gratitude must be given to all those who campainged for the fitting Contalmaison memorial, immense appreciateion to Alexander and his team for never forgetting, for educating an ignoramus like myself, for keeping todays supporters well aware of the sacrifices once made.

Quite simply an outstanding overwhelmingly emotional tribute.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply
scott herbertson
I agree with that, we must remember that other clubs had men who went, even hibs. Down south had some regiments which were football batalions. As the program said as joining up was voluntary and players had proffesional contracts, it was hard for players to join sometimes.

I think there were one or two Celtic players who joined, I am pretty sure I read that.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Celtic_F.C._and_World_War_I

its not really the thread for it, but knowing the military bods i do, i had to giggle PJ1 when you said that a lot of the smellies went into the kingos

the kingos are talked about like the theives of the regiments, as they are all "theving scousers" lol (army banter, so its not EVER gonna be pc is it now?) so i couldn't help but think how apt

well, i sniggered

I know a very good Hearts man that served in said regiment Bev and have also met a few of the guys he served with. You yourself suggested we should not cheapen the service with wee digs. ;)

J.T.F.Robertson
No tin hat required, football is just a game, HMFC are just a football club albeit the greatest ( i know it's a way of life for a lot of people) BUT! war is a dirty messy business literatly life and death, and there is NOTHING glorious about death. The men who took part in WW1 marched of into what most of them thought would be a great adventure i bet you that quickly evaporated after a couple of days in the trenches as i have said before a total waste of young lives but regardless of this i agree with you that we should never forget them if for nothing else to teach us the futility of war.

Do you ever wonder, in some respects, that view also serves to perpetuate the "glory" of it, thereby, in a sense, forever legitimising it?

I agree with regard to the total waste and to the "great adventure" they imagined they were about to participate in, as opposed to the cannon fodder they became.

Archived