John Murray's delight at shining youth.

Dr. Bapswent

http://www.heartsfc.premiumtv.co.uk/page/HeartsNewsDetail/0,,10289~1452210,00.html

Academy Director John Murray today hailed the success of Hearts' renowned youth policy after seven of the club's home-grown stars played in the Clydesdale Bank Premier League victory over St Mirren on Saturday.

Captain Christophe Berra, match-winner Eggert Jonsson, Lee Wallace, Jason Thomson, Jamie Mole, Robbie Neilson and Andrew Driver all featured in the 1-0 win over the Buddies, with all seven of the players having come through the youth system.

Article continues

Advertisement

With David Templeton and Matej Rapnik unused substitutes at Love Street, the sight of so many academy graduates brought a real sense of pride to John and his team of coaches and scouts - and he insists there are more to come.

With many of the classy kids again set to be involved against Hamilton this evening as the Jambos look to keep the pressure on third-placed Dundee United, John reckons their success sends the right message to those hoping to follow in their footsteps.

Speaking exclusively to Hearts News Today, John said: "It not only gives me a buzz but also the likes of U19 coach Darren Murray and I'm sure the guys before him like Stephen Frail and John McGlynn.

"There are also the scouts and coaches at the academy who have helped these players since they were 10 or 11 years old. They are not well paid for the job they do and this is where they get their satisfaction from.

"It's a whole club thing, not just me and we all get a wee lift from this sort of progress."

With Hearts boasting one of the youngest squads in the SPL, it is easy to overlook the fact that many of the current crop of young stars are actually seasoned campaigners, as John highlighted.

"People forget that Robbie Neilson came here as a 16-year-old and he's now been here for a long time and also played for Scotland," he said.

"Jamie Mole has also been here for a long time as has Andrew Driver, Jason Thomson and Lee Wallace.

"They all know the club and want to play for the club. It's a good thing but it's a long-term development."

John revealed there is another clutch of exciting young talents eager to burst through into the first-team picture and Sunday's 7-0 demolition of Queen of the South in SFA Youth Cup at Tynecastle underlined that fact.

"The manager told the youngsters before the Youth Cup tie that if they are good enough they will get a chance, regardless of their age," he said.

"That obviously gave them all a lift. There's another crop coming through behind the lads who played against St Mirren and three or four of them will definitely play in the first team in my opinion."

robin hood jambo

All good but the bit about csaba telling the players that if they were good enough they would play for the first team rings a bit false as i think if that was the case we would of seen some of them by now.

But heres hoping the next crop are good were gonna need them to be!

Tell you what, that's the first and only time you'll ever see Robbie Neilson referred to as a "classy kid"...

more smokescreens! get the youngsters in the side blood them! thats what hibs do and it pays them big time..

FFS our 1st team squad is one of the youngest in the SPL:banghead2::ahhhhhhh:

jamboinglasgow
FFS our 1st team squad is one of the youngest in the SPL:banghead2::ahhhhhhh:

dont you know when a youngster gets into the first team and plays a few games he cannot be considered a young player anymore. Get Berra out of the team, at 23 he is too old grrrr

dont you know when a youngster gets into the first team and plays a few games he cannot be considered a young player anymore. Get Berra out of the team, at 23 he is too old grrrr

Indeed;)

Aye very good John. Maybe if some of the others got a chance we'd have more to talk about.

They'll all be delighted seeing Novikovas walk in ahead of them when he's fit.

Aye very good John. Maybe if some of the others got a chance we'd have more to talk about.

They'll all be delighted seeing Novikovas walk in ahead of them when he's fit.

Share your cynicism ..... you appear to have your finger on the "team" pulse of the age group coaches at the academy ... so you will understand how hard it has been to get the existing crop through to play or occupy the bench on match day.

The comment from the manager puzzles me a bit as I understand he is reticent to "blood" any more young players at the mo.

Archived