Will we hear a statement soon explaining why the new stand will not be built?

Craigieboy

The worldwide recession has done nothing to increase my optimism about this venture. There are other reasons, but I don't think I have really ever bought into the whole thing.

But the club do have a 'timeline' in place and the months are rolling by.

Will we see an official statement about the new stand being ditched/delayed or will it go ahead despite the recession & general apathy around the club, ie attendances.

gonna be a long thread i fancy.

i would think they will let the application run it's course. if it's booted into touch then they may revisit the plans with a view to building a more realistic complex, if it's approved then i think they will more than likely sit on it until the approval expires.

i highly doubt we will see the thing on the website.

There is no earthly point in building a stand and complex of these monolithic proportions unless you are willing simultaneously to invest heavily in the football team and at least give it a chance of being used to the maximum capability.

I dont believe for a minute that Romanov intends to either invest heavily in the football team or build a stand complex of these proportions.

There is strong evidence to show that he wont.

There surely arent STILL people around who think that he will ?

We need to start winning on the pitch before we can justify building a new stand.

If you ask me though, ideally we should just build a stand that mirrors the Wheatfield, on a budget price. I can't understand what the need is for building a ?51 Million stand.

I believe the Wheatfield cost around ?3 or 4 Million (?) back in 1994. Obviously resources have gone up in price since then, but surely we could build a semi-decent structure with changing rooms and a few bars for ?10 Million at the most IMO.

actually, is there not another aspect to this concerning the safety certificate for the existing main stand? in that we wont have one very much longer.

The Real Maroonblood
There is no earthly point in building a stand and complex of these monolithic proportions unless you are willing simultaneously to invest heavily in the football team and at least give it a chance of being used to the maximum capability.

I dont believe for a minute that Romanov intends to either invest heavily in the football team or build a stand complex of these proportions.

It's a done deal.

;)

We need to start winning on the pitch before we can justify building a new stand.

If you ask me though, ideally we should just build a stand that mirrors the Wheatfield, on a budget price. I can't understand what the need is for building a ?51 Million stand.

I believe the Wheatfield cost around ?3 or 4 Million (?) back in 1994. Obviously resources have gone up in price since then, but surely we could build a semi-decent structure with changing rooms and a few bars for ?10 Million at the most IMO.

I think you're missing the point. The only way we will get a stand is if it is believe that the associated developments will fund it and make a profit as well. We were never building a ?51m stand.

Anyway, the credit crunch has put paid to any chance there ever was.

The Real Maroonblood
I think you're missing the point. The only way we will get a stand is if it is believe that the associated developments will fund it and make a profit as well. We were never building a ?51m stand.

Anyway, the credit crunch has put paid to any chance there ever was.[/QUOTE]

Just the excuse that Romanov needed.

Anyway, the credit crunch has put paid to any chance there ever was.

Not missing the point, I was being more realistic this current climate.

Who would want to fund us in the economic crisis?

I dunno about your 'strong evidence' but I have a gut feeling that the sentence in bold is spot on.

No doubt he could have knocked a cheap stand up for a couple of million,was never about just adding seats though.He wanted to generate cash from other sources,24/7.Not just matchdays.

But lets be honest,it all looked spectacular at the beginning,but did anybody think it was really going to happen.

Few english clubs building new grounds,can see us picking up a second hand stand on e-bay,buyer uplifts ;)

Not missing the point, I was being more realistic this current climate.

Who would want to fund us in the economic crisis?

It's cool having an owner who we can criticise for both doing AND not doing stuff huh?

We don't need a new stand at the moment. Let's see if we can develop as a team first and that means bringing through youngsters. There is no waiting list for tickets nor huge demand for corporate seating, so what's the hurry?

The new stand was never about the football club.

It was about the hotel, the appartments, the restaurant and the conference centre attached to the stand that were to generate income.

I suspect nothing will happen until the outcome of the planning application is known. Mad Vlad might then sit on it if he is, as many of us suspect, experiencing cash flow problems. I think planning permission is granted and the applicant has a set period to proceed.

However, in some ways if mad Vlad is serious then a recession may be the best time to get it done. The costs involved are likely to be less than they were when the idea was conceived.

I personally don't expect the new development to happen though.

Catch 22

Get is built as soon as possible. With the current property slump we could get it done cheaper I reckon and we are obviously losing money from the current main stand, like we have done for years.

But

The team is pants. With the crowds this low already would the fans come back just to sit in a new stand?

lost in leith

The bit I'm not clear on is the deals for the parcels of land that are required for the original planned development. I assume that the deals are in place, subject to planning permission. What's not clear to me is -

1) Who the Council and other parties agreed to sell the land to (UBIG)?

2) At what point the sellers can withdraw from these agreements?

On a side note, what is happening over the road from Tynecastle (McLeod St end)?

Some building works going on. Been going on for a few weeks, but I've never really noticed it!

On a side note, what is happening over the road from Tynecastle (McLeod St end)?

Some building works going on. Been going on for a few weeks, but I've never really noticed it!

Its the new Tynie High School

Catch 22

Get is built as soon as possible. With the current property slump we could get it done cheaper I reckon and we are obviously losing money from the current main stand, like we have done for years.

But

The team is pants. With the crowds this low already would the fans come back just to sit in a new stand?

Decent points. Yes we would get it built cheaper if we contracted it just now.

The fans would come back in season 1 of the new stand just for the novelty value I think. But its what happens after the novelty wears off and the team is still pants that is the concern.

I not 100% sure a particular club needs a good team on the pitch in 2008 for a stand that wouldn't be finished until (at best) 2011.

Teams change so fast these days, and the stand will be there for a hundred years so I don't quite get that precise stipulation. We were a completely different team five years ago and we'll be a different team five years from now.

However, what we do need is confidence in the regime to deliver not only a stand for the future but a sound base financially, and preferably one that includes some sort of generally optimistic strategy for the football side.

Taken that last point into account: I think it's ****ed!

Buffalo Bill

Guest JamboRobbo
It's cool having an owner who we can criticise for both doing AND not doing stuff huh?

We don't need a new stand at the moment. Let's see if we can develop as a team first and that means bringing through youngsters. There is no waiting list for tickets nor huge demand for corporate seating, so what's the hurry?

What does how developed as a team we are have to do with the building of the stand? The stand will be here for 100 years. Teams will get better and worse throughout that time. Attendances will rise and fall.

We were assured this stand would be built. A lot of people justified everrythig else Mr Romanov has done, on the basis that it'll all be worth it when the stand is built.

Now you're suggesting the fans are being overly demanding by expecting him to actually deliver what he promised?

Must be cool having an owner who's actions we can attempt to justify no matter what huh?

Seymour M Hersh
What does how developed as a team we are have to do with the building of the stand? The stand will be here for 100 years. Teams will get better and worse throughout that time. Attendances will rise and fall.

We were assured this stand would be built. A lot of people justified everrythig else Mr Romanov has done, on the basis that it'll all be worth it when the stand is built.

Now you're suggesting the fans are being overly demanding by expecting him to actually deliver what he promised?

Must be cool having an owner who's actions we can attempt to justify no matter what huh?

Where is he justifying anything VR has or is doing?

Guest JamboRobbo
Where is he justifying anything VR has or is doing?

Right left and centre, all over the board.

In this particular case, he's suggesting people are being overly critical re expecting Romanov to actually build the stand he promised to build.

Charlie-Brown

This thread is premature - nothing can be built until there is a decision/approval on planning permission which there isn't yet.

If ROmanov cannot develop a team then what is the point in him developing the stand. It is a white elephant if we cannot get the people to fill it. Romanov has shown little ability to develop a successful team (and I mean management team as well as playing side)

Guest JamboRobbo
If ROmanov cannot develop a team then what is the point in him developing the stand.

1. Because our old stand needs demolished as it's a safety hazard.

2. Because a stand is there as a long term investment, and it's building (or not) surely shouldn't be affected by silly things like short term changes in form of the team?

At least thats what folks on here were saying back when the party line was to assure us that the new stand would go ahead......

It has been clear for a very long time that the issue for the stand/other developments was finance.

It is also clear that UBIG don't have access to the finance required, nor does Ukio Bankas and nor do Hearts. The prospect of selling on bits in order to finance the rest has gone for now. And the premise of the retail/office/hotel bits making enough money to subsidise the rest has also gone for now. And on top of that there is no crucial need for seats/corporate facilities given the downturn in the team's fortunes.

I don't think it would be embarassing in this climate for the club to announce that they are going to take the measures necessary to get the old stand through the next safety certificate.

My problem is that the longer we go on pretending that this new stand will happen the longer we put off designing some more reasonable replacement for the current main stand which I believe needs replaced or at least fixed before the safety certificate runs out.

1. Because our old stand needs demolished as it's a safety hazard.

2. Because a stand is there as a long term investment, and it's building (or not) surely shouldn't be affected by silly things like short term changes in form of the team?

At least thats what folks on here were saying back when the party line was to assure us that the new stand would go ahead......

The 2nd point is correct, not sure how true the first is though. However, I doubt any stand will be built given the current financial situation.

Guest JamboRobbo
The 2nd point is correct, not sure how true the first is though.

I never felt it was true either. But thats what folks on here were saying in an attempt to justify why we'd "definately" go ahead with the new stand...

I don't think we'll see the original design but there is still merit in just rebuilding the old main stand. A simple uncomplicated structure with a similar number of seats and some corporate facilities which would cost a fraction of the price.

The main reason being we surely can't be far away from the day the old one gets condemed.

The Real Maroonblood
I don't think we'll see the original design but there is still merit in just rebuilding the old main stand. A simple uncomplicated structure with a similar number of seats and some corporate facilities which would cost a fraction of the price.

The main reason being we surely can't be far away from the day the old one gets condemed.

I take it you are talking about Romanov.

:):):):)

Nucky Thompson
It will be built when we win The Champions League.

:)

We've got a better chance of winning the Champions League than Hubz have the Scottish:107years:

Seymour M Hersh
Right left and centre, all over the board.

In this particular case, he's suggesting people are being overly critical re expecting Romanov to actually build the stand he promised to build.

The guy was being realistic asking what is the hurry. You accused him (and with your response to me) of justifying VR's actions all over the board. I just didn't see his comment in that light.

I'm not sure there needs to be a statement saying why the stand will not be built.

But given that our future under Vlad is largely predicated upon a new stand, I do think, given the financial climate, that some clarity would be helpful from the club as to whether or not the project is viable, on hold or whatever.

Liverpool updated their fans I think.

If the stand is not to be built, or to be delayed there should be some sort of confirmation of how this impacts upon Vlad's general plan - as it was such a cornerstone of it.

Not that I am holding my breath

Jam Tarts 1874
It has been clear for a very long time that the issue for the stand/other developments was finance.

It is also clear that UBIG don't have access to the finance required, nor does Ukio Bankas and nor do Hearts. The prospect of selling on bits in order to finance the rest has gone for now. And the premise of the retail/office/hotel bits making enough money to subsidise the rest has also gone for now. And on top of that there is no crucial need for seats/corporate facilities given the downturn in the team's fortunes.

I don't think it would be embarassing in this climate for the club to announce that they are going to take the measures necessary to get the old stand through the next safety certificate.

More absolute rubbish from our resident financial "expert". I honestly am staggered by this post.

Let's go through it. Coco says "It has been clear for a very long time that the issue for the stand/other developments was finance." Really? Where is it clear from? Who at Hearts or UBIG has said that Hearts will not be able to finance the development? Without planning permission there if very little Hearts or anyone else can do about discussing how the development will be financed.

Coco says "It is also clear that UBIG don't have access to the finance required, nor does Ukio Bankas and nor do Hearts". Really? How is it clear that UBIG or UKIO Bankas cannot finance this project? Both these organisations have been increasing their turnovers and profits this year. I really would like to know what your definition of the word "clear" actually is. If Hearts do get planning permission, as I said before, look out for Commercial Property Fund managers getting involved.

Coco says "The prospect of selling on bits in order to finance the rest has gone for now". Really? Who says? Once again you show your total lack of understanding of the commercial property development market which is in no way correlated to residential property - I have pointed this out to you on numerous occassions. The economy will be in an upward cycle by the time the development would be complete - think about it!

Coco says "And the premise of the retail/office/hotel bits making enough money to subsidise the rest has also gone for now". See above!!!

Coco says: "And on top of that there is no crucial need for seats/corporate facilities given the downturn in the team's fortunes". So according to you, no money should be spent unless the team is at the top of the league - utter jibberish! I wonder what kind of stadiums Celtic and Rangers would have if they had followed your logic! Rangers in particular were garbage all through the redevelopment of Ibrox.

Romanov has shown little ability to develop a successful team (and I mean management team as well as playing side)

Did I just dream the Burley weeks?

More absolute rubbish from our resident financial "expert". I honestly am staggered by this post.

Let's go through it. Coco says "It has been clear for a very long time that the issue for the stand/other developments was finance." Really? Where is it clear from? Who at Hearts or UBIG has said that Hearts will not be able to finance the development? Without planning permission there if very little Hearts or anyone else can do about discussing how the development will be financed.

Coco says "It is also clear that UBIG don't have access to the finance required, nor does Ukio Bankas and nor do Hearts". Really? How is it clear that UBIG or UKIO Bankas cannot finance this project? Both these organisations have been increasing their turnovers and profits this year. I really would like to know what your definition of the word "clear" actually is. If Hearts do get planning permission, as I said before, look out for Commercial Property Fund managers getting involved.

Coco says "The prospect of selling on bits in order to finance the rest has gone for now". Really? Who says? Once again you show your total lack of understanding of the commercial property development market which is in no way correlated to residential property - I have pointed this out to you on numerous occassions. The economy will be in an upward cycle by the time the development would be complete - think about it!

Coco says "And the premise of the retail/office/hotel bits making enough money to subsidise the rest has also gone for now". See above!!!

Coco says: "And on top of that there is no crucial need for seats/corporate facilities given the downturn in the team's fortunes". So according to you, no money should be spent unless the team is at the top of the league - utter jibberish! I wonder what kind of stadiums Celtic and Rangers would have if they had followed your logic! Rangers in particular were garbage all through the redevelopment of Ibrox.

Well we shall see who is right in future.

Geoff Kilpatrick

Going back to the original point, the ball is in the council's court for now. Hopefully the disappearance of Pedro the snake speeds up a decision by the council given his 'negotiation' skills.

Going back to the original point, the ball is in the council's court for now. Hopefully the disappearance of Pedro the snake speeds up a decision by the council given his 'negotiation' skills.

There shouldn't be any problems in getting the planning permission given the apparent professionalism of the application and the Council's awareness of how many projects are being postponed across the City. Would be very strange if the Council were to reject the plans now after having seen them all the way through.

The question of course remains on the finance side.

What I hear is that the council are waiting on movement from the club. It's the club that are holding things up.

Archived