Great seasons, good seasons and these days?

Buffalo Bill

Great seasons from the past 25 years.

85/86 - 31 games unbeaten from Sep to May :eek:

97/98 - great football, goals galore and a cup win

05/06 - bitter-sweet season, '8 in a row' and cup win

Very good seasons ...

87/88 - Big crowds, great team, above Souness' Rangers

91/92 - Joe Jordan, leading the league until Jan

Good seasons ...

83/84 - Great season after years in the widerness

89/90 - Solid team - Crabbe, Colquhoun and Robbo

95/96 - JJ turns Hearts around

02/03 - Lots of late goals under Levein

03/04 - Lots of points in the bag (68)

Better than average ...

96/97 - McCann, Cameron, Weir

Could've/shoud've been better....

86/87 - The hangover season

88/89 - Great Uefa Cup run, but finished 6th

90/91 - Terrible 'red' bukta strip clouds the memory

04/05 - Lots of turmoil, yet some good performances.

We struggled to find form ...

84/85 - Dad's Army retreat

92/93 - Hearts in decline

00/01 - End for Jeffries

01/02 - Levien's team struggling to find form

06/07 - Massive let down, Mad Eddie, Riccarton 3

Overall, we were pretty rank ...

94/95 - Nearly relegated, yet some great wins

93/94 - Only Hibs made this season fun

07/08 - Oh dear.

The last two sesons have been 'down there'.

Where will this season end up?

Looking back over these seasons, I think my generation has had it pretty good. Don't you?

Even some of the so-called crap seson have given us great times.

Your thought on the changin' of the seasons....

Buffalo Bill

Charlie-Brown

Noticeable dips 92-95, 00-02, 06-08 with peaks in between, mercer macdonald years were steadier it's been boom n bust in cycles since then.

Noticeable dips 92-95, 00-02, 06-08 with peaks in between, mercer macdonald years were steadier it's been boom n bust in cycles since then.

Apart from the MacDonald/Mercer era, the first three years of Jim Jeffries spell was good also. Yet more tellingly, it was 'steady'. We were a stable. But then JJ lost the plot a wee bit, and debts started to get out of control.

The last ten years has been anything but stable.

Buffalo Bill

I'd have bigged up 83-84 a bit more ... the previous few seasons were so woeful (though they had their memorable games too) that winning the opening five was just amazing. Some of these young whipper-snappers today just don't know they've been born.

Great thread BB ...

Brian Whittaker's Tache

85/86 will never leave me

Old enough to legally drink in pubs, missed one away game that season. Every game we went to mob handed with the Scottish Life Squad, pi$hed and stoned. being able to stand in the Shed.

Just a pity it fell away a bit at the end:sad:

I'd have bigged up 83-84 a bit more ... the previous few seasons were so woeful (though they had their memorable games too) that winning the opening five was just amazing. Some of these young whipper-snappers today just don't know they've been born.

Great thread BB ...

Perhaps you're right, although I've placed 06/07 three tiers below and we finished higher up the league two years ago than we did in 83/84.

But 83/84 is special, as you've said because we 'were back', after the dismal years of relegation etc.

It is also worth pointing out the quality we faced in 83/84, with Aberdeen the Cup Winners Cup winners, and champions Dundee Utd reaching the last four of the European Cup.

I should maybe also have rated 94/95 lower.

Buffalo Bill

I'd like to think that this season could be a good one for us - that depends on what happens in January however. if we bring in a few decent players, who knows we might even manage a decent cup run. If we don't and lose a few players in the window we will struggle to get into the top six.

Perhaps you're right, although I've placed 06/07 three tiers below and we finished higher up the league two years ago than we did in 83/84.

But 83/84 is special, as you've said because we 'were back', after the dismal years of relegation etc.

It is also worth pointing out the quality we faced in 83/84, with Aberdeen the Cup Winners Cup winners, and champions Dundee Utd reaching the last four of the European Cup.

I should maybe also have rated 94/95 lower.

Buffalo Bill

Any chance you could put in a histogram-type format ? We could see if it is true that a bad season follows a good one ...

Any chance you could put in a histogram-type format ? We could see if it is true that a bad season follows a good one ...

I can't but I'm sure someone like Top Cat will.

We did have quite a run of having one good, one not so good season.

Seasons ending on even numbers tended to be better than the seasons ending on an odd number.

All but one (02/03) of the top 10 best seasons ended on an even number.

Buffalo Bill

Pretty much agree with all those except I would maybe have 96/97 as 'good'. We were a bit inconsistient and our form faded towards the end of the season missing out on third. But we played some good football and you could see the teams attacking options taking shape with the likes of Mickey, McCannn and Fulton gelling. Plus we made a cup final and for the first time in my lifetime actually put in a good performance in a final and looked as if we might win it.

Charlie-Brown

Historical curiousities from last season, biggest league victory over rangers in 70 years, first cup win away to old firm for 50 years.

Historical curiousities from last season, biggest league victory over rangers in 70 years, first cup win away to old firm for 50 years.

And it was still rank rotten.

Did we no do them 0-3 in 96 with Johnston's hattrick?

I think Charlie means 'goals scored'.

We also beat Rangers 3-0 in the league in 1985, with Sandy Jardine playing his 1000th game. I doubt Beslija would've beaten that figure had he stayed.

Buffalo Bill

Charlie-Brown
I think Charlie means 'goals scored'.

We also beat Rangers 3-0 in the league in 1985, with Sandy Jardine playing his 1000th game. I doubt Beslija would've beaten that figure had he stayed.

Buffalo Bill

London Hearts criteria of 'biggest wins' is also based on goals scored not winning margins, anyway last season was the first time we'd put four goals past Rangers in the league since the 1930's although we had managed this a couple of times in the Scottish cup.

Pretty much agree with all those except I would maybe have 96/97 as 'good'. We were a bit inconsistient and our form faded towards the end of the season missing out on third. But we played some good football and you could see the teams attacking options taking shape with the likes of Mickey, McCannn and Fulton gelling. Plus we made a cup final and for the first time in my lifetime actually put in a good performance in a final and looked as if we might win it.

I found it difficult to place 96/97 with any other season.

We did play well in parts, and the Coca Coca Cup final was always be remembered with fondness, but it annoyed me how Dundee Utd came up from the First Division and got the better of of us in the league and in the cup.

The season ended on a real high though, with the unvieling of Stephane Adam and the record-breaking feats of John Robertson.

A funny sort of season, flanked by better seasons.

Buffalo Bill

I thought we had done them 3-0 at home as well but there were quite a few 3-1s around that time too and as I have been drinking heavily since I was in my early teens I thought I might be getting mixed up!

Sandy Jardine's 1000th game was at Tynecastle.

Buffalo Bill

The Bosnian Bullet saga is for me one of the most frustrating episodes in all my Hearts supporting episodes of frustration. We will never know if he was actually worth the dosh (although for the fastest winger who ever lived, he appeared to be slower than a snail on temazepam - if it was a race between him and Eric Idle's character from the Adventures of Baron Munchasen I know who my money would be on).

He was one of many sorry episodes from the last two years.

Take you pick from Fast Eddie, the Riccarton '3', Korbotchka's 'Just for Men' and the loss of all our good players.

Buffalo Bill

Charlie-Brown
Sandy Jardine's 1000th game was at Tynecastle.

Buffalo Bill

1985-86 saw 3-0 & 3-1 SPL victories at Tynecastle plus a 3-2 Scottish Cup win and a 2-0 victory at Ibrox over the dirty Huns, we lost the other game 3-1 early in the season. It was a truly vintage year. :)

1985-86 saw 3-0 & 3-1 SPL victories at Tynecastle plus a 3-2 Scottish Cup win and a 2-0 victory at Ibrox over the dirty Huns, we lost the other game 3-1 early in the season. It was a truly vintage year. :)

Four wins in a season.

John Fairgrieve pondered that if we beat them again, we might get to keep them.

My first ever trip to Ibrox was the 2-0. Dancing on Ice, as I recall.

Buffalo Bill

Noticeable dips 92-95, 00-02, 06-08.

Going back to this point.

We are in a dip, as we've been in dips before.

92-95 and 00-02 were dips.

But then there was 1965-1983!!! An 18 year dip!

What's this current dip going to be?

I guess after much typing, I've discovered the point of the thread!!

*I knew it was in there somewhere*

Buffalo Bill

I found it difficult to place 96/97 with any other season.

We did play well in parts, and the Coca Coca Cup final was always be remembered with fondness, but it annoyed me how Dundee Utd came up from the First Division and got the better of of us in the league and in the cup.

The season ended on a real high though, with the unvieling of Stephane Adam and the record-breaking feats of John Robertson.

A funny sort of season, flanked by better seasons.

Buffalo Bill

I can see where you are coming from. I think I am biased by the cup final - 26 years of going to Tynecastle and 5 cup final appearances makes me always hink on the seasons we made a final as 'good' I suppose.

Did the away section at Parkhead hold 7,500 or am i going mad?

I would guess around 6,000 but I'm not sure.

And there were few better moments than the 'Crabbe/Millar' minute of Jan 4th 1992.

Buffalo Bill

Charlie-Brown

The 'Rangers end' at Celtic Park held 12'500 in the 80's but it was split for safety reasons and we got the bigger section nearest the buses......we got given the whole end at a cup tie in 1982-83 when we took approx 6K through

I can see where you are coming from. I think I am biased by the cup final - 26 years of going to Tynecastle and 5 cup final appearances makes me always hink on the seasons we made a final as 'good' I suppose.

It's funny how we'll all have different views of different seasons. Hearts weren't all that bad in 90/91 but I didn't like it because of the awful red Bukta strip and shell suit era and the Aberdeen game when they won 4-1 at Tynecastle (they were going for the league at the time).

Yet 94/95 had some great games, even though we were nearly relegated!

Buffalo Bill

The 'Rangers end' at Celtic Park held 12'500 in the 80's but it was split for safety reasons and we got the bigger section nearest the buses......we got given the whole end at a cup tie in 1982-83 when we took approx 6K through

I'm going to disagree here Charlie.

I think the entire end held around 18,000.

The smaller section (our normal bit) held around 6,000 and the bigger bit held around twice that. Rangers used to get both sections.

We took around 12,000 to the 93 semi v Rangers and we only had the bigger section of the 'Rangers' end that day.

Buffalo Bill

It's funny how we'll all have different views of different seasons. Hearts weren't all that bad in 90/91 but I didn't like it because of the awful red Bukta strip and shell suit era and the Aberdeen game when they won 4-1 at Tynecastle (they were going for the league at the time).

Yet 94/95 had some great games, even though we were nearly relegated!

Buffalo Bill

94/95 is in general pretty much my least favourite season due to McLean - I hate that man. However when you think back there was some good performances - Rangers in the cup h*bs at New Year etc All I remember is the absolute junk he brought to the club and how he nearly ruined the careers of Ritchie, Locke, Johnstone etc

Charlie-Brown
I'm going to disagree here Charlie.

I think the entire end held around 18,000.

The smaller section (our normal bit) held around 6,000 and the bigger bit held around twice that. Rangers used to get both sections.

We took around 12,000 to the 93 semi v Rangers and we only had the bigger section of the 'Rangers' end that day.

Buffalo Bill

That might well be correct BB ... anyway we got the whole end in 82-83 cup tie.

Charlie-Brown

1998-99 was very disappointing - looked very very bleak after Dens (Mo Berthe) thankfully it ended okay but one our longest run of games without a win (12 or 13) happened from Christmas onwards that year.

94/95 is in general pretty much my least favourite season due to McLean - I hate that man. However when you think back there was some good performances - Rangers in the cup h*bs at New Year etc All I remember is the absolute junk he brought to the club and how he nearly ruined the careers of Ritchie, Locke, Johnstone etc

The games I remember in which we played well in were home wins over Aberdeen (the Frail goal), Celtic, Hibs and Rangers.

We also had a brilliant win over Rangers in the cup, and then we beat Dundee Utd - both games were live on TV.

In amongst that, we lost a hell of a lot of games, McLean was the manager, he signed dross, everyone hated him and we nearly went down!!

Oh, and Airdrie beat us in the cup....again!

Strange days.

Buffalo Bill

Gillsland jack

Looking at your list Bill, got me thinking about all the happy evenings from 83' onwards that would see me arrive at the Merchi at around 12.45 pm ish...and then stagger back out after our post match drinks at possibly 9 ish..after of course defending ourselves against the blue rinse brigade of Saturday night bingo fanatics who always seemed to acuse me of sitting in their seats.

Life was much simpler, being a jambo was much simpler all I wanted was some rich dude to buy HMFC and to give the old firm a run for their money.....was I careful what I wished for..don't think so.

1998-99 was very disappointing - looked very very bleak after Dens (Mo Berthe) thankfully it ended okay but one our longest run of games without a win (12 or 13) happened from Christmas onwards that year.

We were shocking. Jeffries took the players back to Barringtons in January, but the press reports said that the atmosphere was awful, and upon our return, we got booted out of the cup by Murderwell.

The great team of 97/98, were heading for relegation, no doubt.

But then three things happened.

• We signed Darren Jackson.
  • McSwegan started scoring.
  • ...and Cameron's hip injury was cured by using a gum-shield!

...and all in the nick of time.

And in the end, we finished the season in great form.

Mo Berthe, and going bottom of the league in March didn't really happen. It was all a bad dream.

Buffalo Bill

One of the most depressing Hearts games of the last 25 years was that season, when we picked Walter Kidd ahead of Paul Ritchie at Rugby Park. I think about ten of the team were over 30 that day, with Smith and Kidd both well over 35. Came on the back of an absolute tanking at Tannadice when we lost 5-2 after going 1-0 up in the first 5 minutes, to a Dundee Utd team who got relegated.

If I remember rightly, we started that season awfully but had a run of about 3 defeats in 18 games from Boxing day on, including beating Rangers twice. Then Stevie Frail knackered his ligaments at Tannadice and I think we lost 8 out the last ten, including the cup semi to Airdrie. Funny to think that if Shaggy's knee had held up Tommy McLean could have been remembered as a great Hearts manager!

1992-93 & 1993-94 are only vaguely remembered & not great seasons, any memories or highlights?

92/92

Beating Slavia Prague was good.

93/94

Beating Hibs in the Scottsh Cup wasn't too shabby either.

But all in all, the end of the Mercer era was pretty depressing. I think so too from a personal point of view, in that life in general was pretty crap then also.

The John Major years, when people wore blue woolen dress jackets and listened to Simply Red and The Lighthouse Family.

Buffalo Bill

1992-93 & 1993-94 are only vaguely remembered & not great seasons, any memories or highlights?

My lasting memory of 1993-94 was the protest against Mercer outside the stand after a 1-0 home defeat to Raith in December just before Christmas. stinking weather and I think we'd not won in about ten games. I think the win at Easter Road in October was our only win in about 18 or 19 games, a truly horrendous time. That for me was the season we came closest to relegation. 3 teams went down that year and we only had 1 defeat in our last ten matches, yet only finished two points outside the bottom 3.

1992-93 was memorable only for being the tail end of the Jordan era, again no wins in our last ten games after the semi defeat to Rangers at Celtic Park. including the infamous 0-6 at Brockville.

I can't but I'm sure someone like Top Cat will.

I've got it somewhere and I'll try and look it out but it's objectively based on the raw results. It ignores the fact that the criteria for a good season are a bit more subjective as expectations raise and lower.

For example

In absolute terms 2006/07 wasn't a bad performance by normal standards. We got a points total that would usually have clinched 3rd and could consider ourselves unlucky to be pipped at the post by aberdeen delivering the best performance outside of ourselves and the OF in five or six years.

If it had happened in the wake of a genuine bad season then it would have been easy to be upbeat about it. However, It followed 05/06 and thus, like whoever it was that followed Queen at live aid, it was a bit of an anticlimax. Although not quite as bad as the previous Cup Hangover season of 98-99

On the other hand for any team that's just been promoted, Finishing 11th will feel like a bit of a triumph.

I've got it somewhere and I'll try and look it out but it's objectively based on the raw results. It ignores the fact that the criteria for a good season are a bit more subjective as expectations raise and lower.

For example

In absolute terms 2006/07 wasn't a bad performance by normal standards. We got a points total that would usually have clinched 3rd and could consider ourselves unlucky to be pipped at the post by aberdeen delivering the best performance outside of ourselves and the OF in five or six years.

If it had happened in the wake of a genuine bad season then it would have been easy to be upbeat about it. However, It followed 05/06 and thus, like whoever it was that followed Queen at live aid, it was a bit of an anticlimax. Although not quite as bad as the previous Cup Hangover season of 98-99

On the other hand for any team that's just been promoted, Finishing 11th will feel like a bit of a triumph.

It was David Bowie who followed Queen at Live Aid.

Do you think he was 'Under Pressure'?

Buffalo Bill

I'd have called 02/03 and 03/04 very good seasons.

But the difference between 87/88 and 91/92 from 02/03 and 03/04 is that in the former seasons we were challenging (and for parts leading) the league, finishing 2nd.

In 02/03 and 03/04, we were very good, but only ever looking like finsihing 3rd.

Interstingly, 02/03 and 03/04 were in themselves, very different seasons, in that the former had lots of late goals and thrills, whereas 03/04 was more steady, but less dramatic (Bordeaux aside). In 03/04, Hearts were 3rd in August and never moved!

Buffalo Bill

It was David Bowie who followed Queen at Live Aid.

Do you think he was 'Under Pressure'?

Buffalo Bill

I've just looked it up and apparently Bowie was indeed next on at Wembley but not before Simple Minds were broadcast live from Philadelphia.

But the difference between 87/88 and 91/92 from 02/03 and 03/04 is that in the former seasons we were challenging (and for parts leading) the league, finishing 2nd.

In 02/03 and 03/04, we were very good, but only ever looking like finsihing 3rd.

Interstingly, 02/03 and 03/04 were in themselves, very different seasons, in that the former had lots of late goals and thrills, whereas 03/04 was more steady, but less dramatic (Bordeaux aside). In 03/04, Hearts were 3rd in August and never moved!

Buffalo Bill

We did win at Ibrox in 03/04 though. I think, in comparative terms, those two seasons should be considered 'very good' when you take into account the sheer amount of money Rangers and Celtic had. We beat Celtic with Larsson, Sutton, Hartson etc. while Rangers had the de Boers, Arveladze, Arteta and so on. To almost reach 70 points in a league with those kinds of players was astounding.

We did win at Ibrox in 03/04 though. I think, in comparative terms, those two seasons should be considered 'very good' when you take into account the sheer amount of money Rangers and Celtic had. We beat Celtic with Larsson, Sutton, Hartson etc. while Rangers had the de Boers, Arveladze, Arteta and so on. To almost reach 70 points in a league with those kinds of players was astounding.

Agree with your praise of both these seasons.

I suppose it is worth considering in this thread the comparision between Hearts and our own expectations, and the comparision between Hearts and the quality of the oppostion we faced at any given time.

In essence, the time to win the league is when the Old Firm are weak. And they were (as a collective) fairly weak in our 'top 3' seasons from the last 25 years.

Oppertunities lost.

Buffalo Bill

I've just looked it up and apparently Bowie was indeed next on at Wembley but not before Simple Minds were broadcast live from Philadelphia.

Did Madonna sing with Simple Minds or the Thompson Twins?

Singing La La La La La La La La La La La La La La La La La La La La La.

As much as money, the rot set in with regard to competition in the SPL with the introduction of 3 points for a win. What Rangers and Celtic do better than everyone else is turn draws into wins. Since the 3 pts for a win era, only 1 non-of team has finished within 10 points of Celtic/Rangers in 14 years.

Did Madonna sing with Simple Minds or the Thompson Twins?

Singing La La La La La La La La La La La La La La La La La La La La La.

The Thompson Twins.

Adam Ant performed Viva le Rock at Wembley.

Hearts would've been in Germany preparing for season 85/86!

Buffalo Bill

Charlie-Brown

86, 88, 90 & 92 were excellent seasons and a high watermark era in terms of league placings but 'failure' as we won nothing

86 - a high watermark in terms of league placing but 'failure' as we won nothing

True, but it was a hell of an effort. They gave us a lot of pleasure and a lot of hope.

Buffalo Bill

Charlie-Brown
True, but it was a hell of an effort. They gave us a lot of pleasure and a lot of hope.

Buffalo Bill

Yes it was BB and the others were terrific seasons too when you look at them in context, three 2nd places and a good 3rd place in the space of 7 seasons - at the time we were disappointed cos we had no trophies to show but in terms of achievement & SPL placings it's as well as we've done in a very long time or since.....that would get 3 champions league chances these days......

Yes it was BB and the others were terrific seasons too when you look at them in context, three 2nd places and a good 3rd place in the space of 7 seasons - at the time we were disappointed cos we had no trophies to show but in terms of achievement & SPL placings it's as well as we've done in a very long time or since.....that would get 3 champions league chances these days......

In fact Wallace Mercer claimed on the history of Hearts video (1992) that Hearts were the true Scottish Champions because Rangers considered themselves out of anyone else's league.

But that's just Hibby-talk.

Buffalo Bill

Archived