Great seasons, good seasons and these days?

Buffalo Bill

Charlie-Brown
In fact Wallace Mercer claimed on the history of Hearts video (1992) that Hearts were the true Scottish Champions because Rangers considered themselves out of anyone else's league.

But that's just Hibby-talk.

Buffalo Bill

What is the name of the old guy at the end of that video? - he used to play in the 30's and worked for the club on matchdays for decades, used to hand out team sheets in the main stand including reserve and youth games etc. was probably the clubs longest serving employee

I think for an non OF team we`re one of the more consistent clubs in the league. Last season was a serious blotch on our record and i don`t think a bad season necessarily follows a good one.

For example, i`d say our best period of consistency would have to be between 85-86 to 92-93.

To finish 2nd 3 times, 3rd once, 5th 3 times and 6th once is a record most other clubs would like to have.

But that`s the beauty of Hearts. We DO have a standard to be met and that`s what keeps us and expecting to be, in the top 3 .

Also, we finished 6th probably due to our great euro run and it`s well proven many clubs outside the OF can`t handle both euro and league campaigns in the same season.(lets hope we can one day though)

Buffalo Bill can I just say what a pleasure it has been to read this thread. Very succinct and a small history lesson to boot. As a Hearts fan age 27 I didn't really register the 80's years in my mind and it's always great to hear about those years. I really wish I had been older for Robbo's golden years and the shed in the 80's. Born in 81 and my memories of the 80's are fairly short to say the least, must have been the smack mash my mum used to feed me.

cheers for the great comments though guys

What is the name of the old guy at the end of that video? - he used to play in the 30's and worked for the club on matchdays for decades, used to hand out team sheets in the main stand including reserve and youth games etc. was probably the clubs longest serving employee

Arh. Bert ....

I met him not long after it as well.

It'll come to me!!

Buffalo Bill

Charlie-Brown
Arh. Bert ....

I met him not long after it as well.

It'll come to me!!

Buffalo Bill

When they used to play reserve & youth games regularly at tynie you used to often get a blether with him whilst he gave out team sheets, a young Allan Johnston was his favourite 'there's ma laddie' he used to say as they warmed up before the game - I'm not even sure if he got paid in later years - I just don't think they could keep him away from tynecastle.

Buffalo Bill can I just say what a pleasure it has been to read this thread. Very succinct and a small history lesson to boot. As a Hearts fan age 27 I didn't really register the 80's years in my mind and it's always great to hear about those years. I really wish I had been older for Robbo's golden years and the shed in the 80's. Born in 81 and my memories of the 80's are fairly short to say the least, must have been the smack mash my mum used to feed me.

cheers for the great comments though guys

Thanks Dude.

I was lucky in that I got to experience 12 years of 'The Shed', and it was a great place for a big goal celebration.

My favourite Shed moments were games agaisnt Celtic and Hibs in 1991 (but different seasons).

One was the 'Andy Goram wonder game', when we scored three goals in ten minutes (Levein, Wright and Robertson).

The other was a 3-1 win over Celtic, when again , we scored three goals in a short space of time (Wright, Levein and Crabbe).

NOTHING beat being in The Shed. :sad:

Buffalo Bill

When they used to play reserve & youth games regularly at tynie you used to often get a blether with him whilst he gave out team sheets, a young Allan Johnston was his favourite 'there's ma laddie' he used to say as they warmed up before the game - I'm not even sure if he got paid in later years - I just don't think they could keep him away from tynecastle.

Bert McCreedie?

Does that sound right?

Sadly, I think he died just after the cup win in 1998.

Buffalo Bill

Charlie-Brown
Bert McCreedie?

Does that sound right?

Sadly, I think he died just after the cup win in 1998.

Buffalo Bill

Bert McGurdy?

Bert McGurdy?

That's our man.

I think he said he only played one game, scored the winner and was then sold off!

But man, did he love the club, and as you said, he just stuck around for decades doing odd jobs because he loved Hearts so much.

I couldn't think where I got 'McCreedie' from, until that is I remembered that I watch about two episodes of Balamory with my daughter each day!!! Edie McCreedie - when ah honk ma horn!!

Buffalo Bill

Who's the Connery-esque sounding guy that narrates the '22 in a row' video/DVD?

Buffalo Bill

I've dug out that historic data chart

Equiv Points_thumb.jpg

Note that the equivelant points totals are plotted for the old system as well as the new one. The SPL split and different sizes of league make exact like for like comparison difficult.

It doesn't include last seasons sorry details

W 34%, D 24%,L 42%

Which was 48 points over 38 games at 3 points per game and is equivelant to 33.2 over a 36 game season at 2 points a game

I found the file which I used to generate that graph and added last season.

Equiv Points_thumb.jpg

I also plotted a best fit linear lined for each of the equivelant points totals.

The lines turn out to be almost flat suggesting that while it's been a rollercoaster season to season in the context of a couple of decades things haven't got substantially better or worse overall.

Charlie-Brown

Each of the spikes or peaks in topcats graph is followed by a sharp fall in subsequent seasons and this occurs several times over the period.

Great thread this.

For me 91-92 is up there as one of the best ones, simply because it was my first full season following Hearts fortunes (as a 6 year old stuck in Glasgow) and even though I didn't get to many games I delighted in the fact that we were top of the league for the first half of the season and have a scrapbook full of Hearts newspaper cuttings from around that time.

If anyone's looking for random trends, how about our 6 year peak trend?

79-80 we won the 1st division

85-86 double disaster, but overall a brilliant season

91-92 leading the pack for half a season, finishing 2nd in the end

97-98 cup win and prolonged title challenge

03-04 coasting the whole season in 3rd place and a (then) record points total

09-10 ???

Obviously seasons like 88 and 06 blow that out the water slightly, but going back 30 years at least every 6th season is pretty decent! What annoys me about 97-98 and 98-99 is that we picked up 8 points off the OF in 98-99 but only 3 in 97-98, and working out the permutations we'd only have gone and won the bloody league if we'd managed those 8 points the year before. If only ....

How to judge a season?

In terms of success, European qualification is a good measure, and from 83/84 it often went yes, no, yes, no.

From 83/84 - 2000/01

Yes

No

Yes

No

Yes

No

Yes

No

Yes

No - ah but yes, through the back door!

No

No

Yes

No

Yes

No

Yes

No

Buffalo Bill

is it pospisil
My lasting memory of 1993-94 was the protest against Mercer outside the stand after a 1-0 home defeat to Raith in December just before Christmas. stinking weather and I think we'd not won in about ten games. I think the win at Easter Road in October was our only win in about 18 or 19 games, a truly horrendous time. That for me was the season we came closest to relegation. 3 teams went down that year and we only had 1 defeat in our last ten matches, yet only finished two points outside the bottom 3.

1992-93 was memorable only for being the tail end of the Jordan era, again no wins in our last ten games after the semi defeat to Rangers at Celtic Park. including the infamous 0-6 at Brockville.

very enjoyable thread, made me wonder if you're favourite season depends on the age you were when they happened - maroon -tinted glasses - all having a laugh with your mates when life was uncomplicated. Could be a book in this - hope so - loved getting whole away end at Parkheid and over-flowing the /broomloan (into Copeland stand - anyone else remember it ?) and having huge crowds at Pittodrie/Tannadice/Fester Rd) good days

Oi, BB - how does 99/0 rank?

I've only been a Jambo since late 1991 - but this is how I'd rank the seasons since (including that first one):

1. 1997/8

2. 2005/6

3. 1995/6

4. 2002/3

5. 1991/2

6. 1996/7

7. 2003/4

8. 1999/0

9. 2000/1

10. 1992/3

11. 2006/7

12. 2004/5

13. 2001/2

14. 1993/4

15. 1994/5

16. 1998/9

17. 2007/8

Plenty of anomalies in the above, I realise. The reason I have 95/6 and 02/3 above 91/2 is both were keynote, "Hearts are back!" seasons which surprised us, and were achieved despite low expectation levels before kick off. Although our points total in 91/2 was very impressive, the way the campaign tailed off was awful, and the gates in the final few weeks told their own sorry story. Plus, we didn't actually seem to be going anywhere as a club - whereas the future looked bright under JJ and Levein.

I also have 03/4 as low as I do purely because the football lacked drama, and was just, well, dull really. It's astonishing that we accumulated 68 points and walked away with 3rd against a backdrop of mounting fan anger and apparently being about to sell our home; but then, that made what happened on the pitch secondary that season. Our home record was amazing - but weird though it might sound, I'm not sure all fans were actually taking much notice!

I've only been a Jambo since late 1991 - but this is how I'd rank the seasons since (including that first one):

1. 1997/8

2. 2005/6

3. 1995/6

4. 2002/3

5. 1991/2

6. 1996/7

7. 2003/4

8. 1999/0

9. 2000/1

10. 1992/3

11. 2006/7

12. 2004/5

13. 2001/2

14. 1993/4

15. 1994/5

16. 1998/9

17. 2007/8

Plenty of anomalies in the above, I realise. The reason I have 95/6 and 02/3 above 91/2 is both were keynote, "Hearts are back!" seasons which surprised us, and were achieved despite low expectation levels before kick off. Although our points total in 91/2 was very impressive, the way the campaign tailed off was awful, and the gates in the final few weeks told their own sorry story. Plus, we didn't actually seem to be going anywhere as a club - whereas the future looked bright under JJ and Levein.

I also have 03/4 as low as I do purely because the football lacked drama, and was just, well, dull really. It's astonishing that we accumulated 68 points and walked away with 3rd against a backdrop of mounting fan anger and apparently being about to sell our home; but then, that made what happened on the pitch secondary that season. Our home record was amazing - but weird though it might sound, I'm not sure all fans were actually taking much notice!

Right enough Shaun, that win in Bordeaux lacked drama and excitement!

Right enough Shaun, that win in Bordeaux lacked drama and excitement!

But that was about it. 02/3, an inferior season statistically, had 5-1, 4-4 and the Phil Stamp game against Hibs, Austin McCann against Celtic, 3-0 v Killie and Dunfy, and 4-2 from 2-0 down against Motherwell. 03/4 had a constant succession of ground out 1-0 or 2-0 wins, and away draws. Granted, had we actually knocked Bordeaux out and gone further, it'd have put a different complexion on things (just as the elimination of Stuttgart would've done three years earlier); but wonderful as that night was, we didn't.

My 20 month old daughter has kept me awake for most of the night.

I now know what's been keeping her awake:

I forgot to add in 99/00.

I would band that season with 96/97 - 'better than average'.

We did finish 3rd, but with a low points total and some dire football. We also took a severe beating of Hibs at home which pretty much ruined the millenium.

It was yet another of those 'off the field' remembered seasons, with the SMG money, 'and then the subsequent haemorrhaging of money (reported to be ?250,000 a month).

On the plus side, we started the season quite well; we won at Parkhead in January, and we beat Hibs at the end of the season to qualify for Europe.

Buffalo Bill

Archived