Robbie Neilson

Martin_T

I don't think anyone has ever claimed that Robbie is the most talented player at Hearts. We know that he is a limited player in some respects, but for sheer guts, determination, consistency and pride, I don't think there is anyone who can touch him in the current squad.

Perhaps it is better to have a limited player who tries it utmost than a talented non-trier? I think Neilson commands respect from his team mates and would be a worthy captain of our football club....and I say all this as one of those who thought today's substitution was bizarre.

Guest jambomickey
I don't think anyone has ever claimed that Robbie is the most talented player at Hearts. We know that he is a limited player in some respects, but for sheer guts, determination, consistency and pride, I don't think there is anyone who can touch him in the current squad.

Perhaps it is better to have a limited player who tries it utmost than a talented non-trier? I think Neilson commands respect from his team mates and would be a worthy captain of our football club....and I say all this as one of those who thought today's substitution was bizarre.

i've always said robbie is a 100% effort man and the team is better when he's in it

Captain Lithuania

I thought it was bizarre he was in RM. Thought He would have went in to right back, Thomson CB, Jonsson CM, and Palazuelos-Garcia in to RM.

I thought it was bizarre he was in RM. Thought He would have went in to right back, Thomson CB, Jonsson CM, and Palazuelos-Garcia in to RM.

I would hate to see Thomson at centre half. Not dominating enough and not a good enough footballer. Saying that I was surprised to see Neilson right wing (especially when you remember Easter Road) but he was class.

Captain Lithuania
I would hate to see Thomson at centre half. Not dominating enough and not a good enough footballer. Saying that I was surprised to see Neilson right wing (especially when you remember Easter Road) but he was class.

I think he played fanstastic, won every header, made some cracking tackles. I wouldnt mind seeing him contend for captaincy either. Stewart led the team until he was sent off.

letsalllaughathobos

robbie was great today would like to see him have a wee run of games in that position.

well done robbie.

Been one of robbies critics in the past , and after the sub was made couldnt believe he was in mid, but what a performance out of him . Totally 100% commited. Need more of that throughout the team.

I've been critical of Robbie in the past but I thought he was great in right midfield today. He showed some great touches and played a big part in the victory.

Isn't it interesting that when Robbie plays well that the thread just slips down the pages, yet when he makes a mistake it's a 5 pager...

Proof, if ever it was needed, that he's some people's favourite scapegoat and always will be. Give me a Robbie Neilson over a Laryea Kingston every time.

Colonel Kurtz
Isn't it interesting that when Robbie plays well that the thread just slips down the pages, yet when he makes a mistake it's a 5 pager...

Proof, if ever it was needed, that he's some people's favourite scapegoat and always will be. Give me a Robbie Neilson over a Laryea Kingston every time.

Something to consider

The St mirren boy who done Miko ws the same boy who tried to do the same in the past,perhaps he had been telling Miko that he was getting done all game.

Who is the handiest guy on the bench when it comes to looking after himself and retribution.The SM boy would have kicked lumps out of wee temps.

"Stick me on boss ,Ill sort the @@@@@@@ out"

There no many at Tynie these days who would say that,and also thake a dull one when he got on.

All Theory of course

Drylaw Hearts

I was horrified to see RN come on for Miko especially when it looked as though Templeton was coming on (he was sent to warm up when it Miko was fouled).

In fairness he did ok but I do not want to see him there on Wednesady or ever again - it brings back nightmares of that horrible night at ER.

Charlie-Brown

I don't think any of the players from saturday deserve to be dropped & they've earned the right to start on wednesday

Good to see him back. Will strengthen the squad and you know you will always get 100% effort from him, which rubs off on everyone.

Every coach we have had at Tynecastle in his time has rated him.

Not sure Robbie on the RM is our best option, but he should certainly be starting come next game. Solid pro, we lack them at Hearts.

Drylaw Hearts
Not sure Robbie on the RM is our best option, but he should certainly be starting come next game. Solid pro, we lack them at Hearts.

If anything he should be at RB.

EJ should keep his place at CH and this should give Kingston the opportunity to play in CM.

first Eggert.... then Karipidis... now Robbie.

what's the common theme i'm getting at... that's right, all played out of position.

is it me, or are the majority of people missing that Csaba is trying to build our defence /midfield with a number of utility players who can slot into positions for when injuries / changes in tactics require it ?

if my theory is right, then this is a positive thing... seeing players slot into positions in recent games also gives them good practice and may improve standards...

or maybe i'm hoping for too much :)

first Eggert.... then Karipidis... now Robbie.

what's the common theme i'm getting at... that's right, all played out of position.

is it me, or are the majority of people missing that Csaba is trying to build our defence /midfield with a number of utility players who can slot into positions for when injuries / changes in tactics require it ?

if my theory is right, then this is a positive thing... seeing players slot into positions in recent games also gives them good practice and may improve standards...

or maybe i'm hoping for too much :)

Yeh I think people are being a bit harsh when they rant about players being played out of position. Zal in MF last year was bonkers for sure ..........but having an athletic NATURALLY DEFENSIVE midfielder slip into RB is far from madness. Kari's move is perhaps a bit stranger, but once again he is more of a footballer than most outright stoppers and he perhaps adds more stiffness to our MF than Bruno or Ruben will provide. The fact we then miss him at CB is something I'm sure the gaffer is working on :rolleyes:

It will be a cold day in hell before we should ever start with Robbie at right midfield.

I like the guy, but right back or nothing, except in an emergency. I don't think Thomson deserves to be dropped either, he's been pretty solid this season when he's played.

Guest Dipped Flake
Sorry Guys but (no matter how loveable) Robbie is just NOT the answer. :sad:

wondered when you would pop up, bet you have really missed all the Robbie threads. I was not at the game yesterday, and I presume neither were you, but those that were there are not supporting Robbie because he is loveable but because he had a big, positive impact on the game.

Broxburn Jambo

Is there anyone apart from me who thinks that Robbie could do the defensive midfield role, I know that his passing is not the best but it doesn't need to be, he just has to win the ball and give it to one of the more skillful players.

I think this would help Stewart to have someone who is a real workhorse with him.

Well played Robbie. Great to see him back and I think he added a bit of experience into the side. Hopefully we'll see him back at right back in the near future though.

Patrick Bateman

Man crush alert!

wondered when you would pop up, bet you have really missed all the Robbie threads. I was not at the game yesterday, and I presume neither were you, but those that were there are not supporting Robbie because he is loveable but because he had a big, positive impact on the game.

No I really hoped never to see another Robbie thread again - unless it was on a Cowdenbeath FC web site! ;)

I was at the game actually, as I was through for a business fuction in Glasgow on the Saturday night. Frankly I thought the game was dire - great 3points but dire none the less.

Robbie put in his usual shift on Saturday with, yes 100% effort.

However my post if you actually want to read it, gave MY opinion that Robbie is not the answer as a wide right side player - anybody who thinks he is needs help!

Guest Dipped Flake
No I really hoped never to see another Robbie thread again - unless it was on a Cowdenbeath FC web site! ;)

I was at the game actually, as I was through for a business fuction in Glasgow on the Saturday night. Frankly I thought the game was dire - great 3points but dire none the less.

Robbie put in his usual shift on Saturday with, yes 100% effort.

However my post if you actually want to read it, gave MY opinion that Robbie is not the answer as a wide right side player - anybody who thinks he is needs help!

Fair enough if you were at the game but Robbie does appear to have made a difference in the role he was asked to play (I wasn't there so can only go by posters opinions) but he certainly played a major part in the goal, going by the highlights and for that alone I thought we might manage to refrain from Robbie bashing posts, at least till he actually does something wrong

Fair enough if you were at the game but Robbie does appear to have made a difference in the role he was asked to play (I wasn't there so can only go by posters opinions) but he certainly played a major part in the goal, going by the highlights and for that alone I thought we might manage to refrain from Robbie bashing posts, at least till he actually does something wrong

"Robbie bashing"????

I said that Robbie was not the answer in the role he played on Saturday - hardly "bashing".

Sorry Guys but (no matter how loveable) Robbie is just NOT the answer. :sad:

Wondered when you'd pop up. Pop back down again, please.

Charlie-Brown

Iam far from Robbie's biggest fan however from what i've seen both he & Thomson deserve to keep their place in the team for wednesday, indeed apart from Stewart they all do.

must admit I thought it was a bizarre substitution at the time but in retrospect I think Csaba got it spot on. Putting Temps on against the thug that crocked Miko (there was a bit of previous there) was not a great idea, and having an untried defence required a bit of experience on the park. Not that we knew at the time, but with Stewarts dismissal it was even more important to have that defensive experience on the park. Well done Robbie and for what its worth I think he would make a good Captain and worth a shot at defensive midfield but only in a trial match or friendly!

Iam far from Robbie's biggest fan however from what i've seen both he & Thomson deserve to keep their place in the team for wednesday, indeed apart from Stewart they all do.

You should play the team best equipped for beating Hamilton. Keeping Neilson at right midfield for sentimental reasons is just moronic.

Charlie-Brown
You should play the team best equipped for beating Hamilton. Keeping Neilson at right midfield for sentimental reasons is just moronic.

It's not for sentimental reasons - those who played on saturday played and fought hard for the victory and merit keeping their places in my opinion.

It's not for sentimental reasons - those who played on saturday played and fought hard for the victory and merit keeping their places in my opinion.

If we start a home game against Hamilton with Robbie Neilson at right midfield, the world has officially gone mental. No matter how well he battled in a game where we were down to 10 man, he is not and never will be a midfield player.

It seems to be devoid of any logic. How you set upto play a tricky game away from home (with ten men) and how you select your team to play the side bottom of the league at home shouldnt be the same. I commend Csaba and Robbie for there performances on Saturday but to do it again in this game where we have 11 men and more of the ball with the onus on us to attack suggests that Robbie (a defender) as a right midfielder would blunt our attacking options which are limited as it is with our strikers failing to score.

He's old school Hearts to be honest.

One of the few left of the first team squad Romanov didnt sign

So at the very least he therefore has - a good attitude, a general suitability to play in the SPL, he plays for the shirt, and, to an extent, is a leader and has fight.

In the spirit of people being relaunched in any position apart from their natural one, how about this.

Robbie for defensive midfield? Not my preference I guess, but he does defend well, he wouldnt need to worry about complicated passes, he can actually sometimes break forward, he's brave in the air....would allow Karipidis to go back in to centre back.

He's old school Hearts to be honest.

One of the few left of the first team squad Romanov didnt sign

So at the very least he therefore has - a good attitude, a general suitability to play in the SPL, he plays for the shirt, and, to an extent, is a leader and has fight.

I would add that, on Saturday at least, he looked as good a footballer as anyone on the park. Maybe that's an indication of how crap we are, or maybe the "Robbie is *****" stuff is just plain wrong.

I would add that, on Saturday at least, he looked as good a footballer as anyone on the park. Maybe that's an indication of how crap we are, or maybe the "Robbie is *****" stuff is just plain wrong.

Somewhere in the middle I'd guess

I think it is a sad indictment of the current state of our club when a player is lauded above his team mates for effort and commitment.

I think it is a sad indictment of the current state of our club when a player is lauded above his team mates for effort and commitment.

I don't, we've had those players for years:

Gary Mackay

Gary Locke

Paul Hartley

Steven Pressley

Robbie Neilson

I don't, we've had those players for years:

Gary Mackay

Gary Locke

Paul Hartley

Steven Pressley

Robbie Neilson

So, you think it is okay to have players that don't care?

As for Neilson, he doesn't deserve to be on any list with players like Mackay, Hartley and Pressley.

So, you think it is okay to have players that don't care?

As for Neilson, he doesn't deserve to be on any list with players like Mackay, Hartley and Pressley.

No, but I think you will always have players who care more than others and are more willing to put their body on the line for the club.

As for Neilson, he deserves everything he gets as he's a top pro. Why didn't you mention Gary Locke? In any case I wasn't talking about talent, your initial point was about players effort & commitment so I think your confusing yourself :sad:

Chad Sexington

Well done Robbie on a successful comeback...but there is no way in hell than RN should start on the right of midfield against Hamilton.

Stick him in at RB and keep Eggert at CB if you must...but for the love of God, keep him away from the right wing.

Couldnt agree more, always thought robbie was better than people made out.

Well said that man. Great post.

No, but I think you will always have players who care more than others and are more willing to put their body on the line for the club.

As for Neilson, he deserves everything he gets as he's a top pro. Why didn't you mention Gary Locke? In any case I wasn't talking about talent, your initial point was about players effort & commitment so I think your confusing yourself :sad:

I am not confusing myself, I am perfectly aware of my opinion. I will try to detail it further for the slow.

In days gone by, we would have the occasional smattering of local players that were brought up to support our club, those players were often labelled as "Mr Hearts" or "giving their all for the jersey". Some of the names you mention are examples of this. However, and I will take Gary Mackay as an example, these players have not been the only player in their team noted for their "commitment and effort".

Would you say that Craig Levein, Walter Kidd, Henry Smith, John Robertson, Jimmy Sandison and Neil Berry gave any less than Gary Mackay? If you do, then I would argue that you were completely wrong. However, I suspect that you would not disagree with the above.

So, moving forward from that example to the present day, Robbie Neilson is championed for giving "commitment and effort". Would you agree that Marius Zaliukas, Audrius Ksanavicius, Laryea Kingston et al are giving less than Neilson? I would suspect that you would agree with that, hell your responses on this thread suggest it, and if you do then you see my original point.

Effort should be a pre-requisite, no player under McDonald or Levein would have got a game without showing that effort and commitment, now we seem to reward players that do not seem to care.

As for your point re Locke, I was talking in a broader scale, Names like Pressley and Mackay are legends, they should not be banded about with that of journeyman football player Neilson.

I am not confusing myself, I am perfectly aware of my opinion. I will try to detail it further for the slow.

In days gone by, we would have the occasional smattering of local players that were brought up to support our club, those players were often labelled as "Mr Hearts" or "giving their all for the jersey". Some of the names you mention are examples of this. However, and I will take Gary Mackay as an example, these players have not been the only player in their team noted for their "commitment and effort".

Would you say that Craig Levein, Walter Kidd, Henry Smith, John Robertson, Jimmy Sandison and Neil Berry gave any less than Gary Mackay? If you do, then I would argue that you were completely wrong. However, I suspect that you would not disagree with the above.

So, moving forward from that example to the present day, Robbie Neilson is championed for giving "commitment and effort". Would you agree that Marius Zaliukas, Audrius Ksanavicius, Laryea Kingston et al are giving less than Neilson? I would suspect that you would agree with that, hell your responses on this thread suggest it, and if you do then you see my original point.

Effort should be a pre-requisite, no player under McDonald or Levein would have got a game without showing that effort and commitment, now we seem to reward players that do not seem to care.

As for your point re Locke, I was talking in a broader scale, Names like Pressley and Mackay are legends, they should not be banded about with that of journeyman football player Neilson.

I'm not slow, and i'm certainly not as full of myself as you obviously are either.

Strange that when debating on a "Robbie thread" it always seems to get that little bit more personal :sad:

If some people can't handle differing opinions without having to add snide comments to their posts then I suggest that a football forum is not the place for them to contribute their views.

Archived