Sending off

CMc

Zidane was sent off in the World Cup final after his headbutt was "seen by the 4th official".

It can be done.

Did the 4th official actually see the incident? Who knows?

Wont form an opinion till I have seen it for myself.

gary Mackay sounded worried on Hearts World before the decision was taken.

The doubts regard the fact that the 4th official opted to get involved in another decision against Hearts

All the incidents that have happened in the last few years, this is the first i`ve heard of the 4th official, i take it the 4th official has never seen anything before!!!!!!!!!!!!!

alwaysthereinspirit

I would guess the 4th official was told it was a red card offence from someone "upstairs" after they watched a replay of it. That's why the delay.

No way a OF player is ever red carded by a 4th officials word. I'm bias though.

One gd thing is he can't play on wed!!!

The boy is a liability, stick in rubenz, ten times better

Stewart cost us against the **** last week, moaning tit

cardboardcutout

lets forget all this why us apathetic pash, stewart has descended into his self-destruct mode and that is why a guy with his talent never made it!! once again he wants to be the hardman and abandons his team-mates!

never seen the incident but i bet i'm right! the signs are all there we're screwed!

thehibsareintheirbeds

Unbelievable sending off. Stewart should just go but that was just lunacy. Only against hearts. Cheats

According to Billy Dodds, who claims to have seen it clearly, Stewart booted Hugh Murray off the ball. If spotted by the ref it would have been, in his opinion, a totally justified red card. Jim Duffy says no argument from Stewart who looked "sheepish".

The main point seems to be that almost two minutes passed between the incident and the 4th official Bobby Madden pulling the ref Mike McCurry over. Apparently the St Mirren bench wouldnt let it go, Gus McPherson influenced the 4th official to bring the ref over.

So on one hand Stewart has been an idiot, but since when does that length of time pass before action is taken?

According to Billy Dodds, who claims to have seen it clearly, Stewart booted Hugh Murray off the ball. If spotted by the ref it would have been, in his opinion, a totally justified red card. Jim Duffy says no argument from Stewart who looked "sheepish".

The main point seems to be that almost two minutes passed between the incident and the 4th official Bobby Madden pulling the ref Mike McCurry over. Apparently the St Mirren bench wouldnt let it go, Gus McPherson influenced the 4th official to bring the ref over.

So on one hand Stewart has been an idiot, but since when does that length of time pass before action is taken?

Mikos booking at Falkirk?

Whitecapjambo

To be honest it sounds like he should have gone.....

But 3 minutes later, with gus MacPherson chewing the 4th official's ear the whole time makes the whole decision a bit farcical!!!

Apologies, having just logged on and skimmed the thread...

Has Michael Stewart been sent off on the say so off the fourth official?

I always thought they were there to 'police' the two dugouts and nothing more.

If the referee, or his 'assistants,' did not see the incident then I fail to see how the decision arose.

(Even if Stewart did do whatever he did...)

Is it even within the regulations for a fourth official to dictate to a referee to make a decision?

No, but he cant point out things the ref missed.

According to Radio Scotland the 4th offical can interfer if it's violent conduct (which it appears to be if he did kick out at player) however there does seem to be a long time after the incident to send Stewart off! So 2 big questions are IF the 4th offical did see it why not get McCurry's attention strait away & how many other "incidents" of this nature have went unpunished by the 4th offical?

According to Radio Scotland the 4th offical can interfer if it's violent conduct (which it appears to be if he did kick out at player) however there does seem to be a long time after the incident to send Stewart off! So 2 big questions are IF the 4th offical did see it why not get McCurry's attention strait away & how many other "incidents" of this nature have went unpunished by the 4th offical?

The talking point will be, becaues Gus MaPherson talked to the 4th official for a while before he made the decision...

However its moot, because the refs will never say that GMacP influenced his decision, even if its clear he did.

Was there a delay until the next stoppage of play? ie 2 minutes approx?

I know that I have not heard of this type of dismissal before but look forward to many in the future. (Does not matter if the dismissal was deserved or otherwise).

GOOOOAAAAAALLLLLLL!!!! EGGY.

The talking point will be, becaues Gus MaPherson talked to the 4th official for a while before he made the decision...

However its moot, because the refs will never say that GMacP influenced his decision, even if its clear he did.

I agree the officals will not come out & clarify what exactly happened & how the decsion was made. But this will no doubt open up another can of worms to clarify what exactly is the role of the 4th offical??? Is he allowed to interfer in the match (as he has done here). What happened to retrospective video evidence? Does seem strange the way this has happened even if it does appear MS should have been sent off.

I find it absolutely astonishing that a referee, and one as experienced as McCurry, has been told, minutes after an incident, information by a fourth official that leads to a straight red card.

Can anyone imagine that happening in a Glasgow derby?

I find it absolutely astonishing that a referee, and one as experienced as McCurry, has been told, minutes after an incident, information by a fourth official that leads to a straight red card.

Can anyone imagine that happening in a Glasgow derby?

It wouldnt, Hearts cant play in a Glasgow derby.

Did us a favour if you ask me! Stewart should have a long hard look at himself but there's no chance of that. Too full of his own importance; all attitude; no sense.

Stewart had a wee dig, Gus Macpherson spotted it and said to the 4th official who then called the ref over.

So basically Gus Macpherson sent him off.

Stewart had a wee dig, Gus Macpherson spotted it and said to the 4th official who then called the ref over.

which, if true, is even forkin worse

the game is rotten and corrupt to the core, even thuogh this does appear to have been the right decision

boot on the other foot and shabba "having a word" would have seen him sent to the stands

Did us a favour if you ask me! Stewart should have a long hard look at himself but there's no chance of that. Too full of his own importance; all attitude; no sense.

Bolshy, exuberant and definitely impulsive every now and then...but I wouldn't say he was full of his own importance. If that were the case, he probably wouldn't bother breaking sweat. He's self-assured and articulate, but I've never thought him over-confident.

Nonetheless, he's in the bad books today anyway...stupid, stupid move on his part....I'm sure he'll be very disappointed and cursing himself more than anyone else could.

john brownlee

Nobody has mentioned this but why did MS kick out, not trying to defend his actions but going by previous involvements with him did he overreact to not being given a foul

The following extract is from refworld.com :

He must indicate to the referee when the wrong player is cautioned because of mistaken identity or when a player is not sent off having been seen to be given a second caution or when violent conduct occurs out of the view of the referee and assistant referees. The referee, however, retains the authority to decide on all points connected with play.

The only question in my mind is : did the 4th official alert the ref at the time of the incident or did he have access to a TV monitor before making up his mind ? Match officials are not allowed to do this.

The referee was McCurry and we're arguing about whether or not Stewart was culpable. Almost every game McCurry has refereed in the SPL this season has contained a controversial decision. He sent off Stewart because he wanted to. If he didn't want to send him off he wouldn't have. After the ludicrous no-penalty decision a fortnight ago the phrase "the ref had no option" has no currency whatsoever. The posters on here who think that it's always the fault of Hearts players or management ahev not been watching the Scottish game long enough! This has been going on for years!

The following extract is from refworld.com :

He must indicate to the referee when the wrong player is cautioned because of mistaken identity or when a player is not sent off having been seen to be given a second caution or when violent conduct occurs out of the view of the referee and assistant referees. The referee, however, retains the authority to decide on all points connected with play.

The only question in my mind is : did the 4th official alert the ref at the time of the incident or did he have access to a TV monitor before making up his mind ? Match officials are not allowed to do this.

You will never find out.

4th official should have signalled immediatley or told Gus to sit on his er5e.

Wether Stewart was in the wrong or not, the incident should have been brought to the refs attention straight away or not at all. Gus McPherson sent Stewart off imo.

Just back from the game....

It was a strange one, I checked with the radio at half time and they confirmed the kick....fair enough Stewart is a clown and does something like this in pretty much every game....

I am OK with the idea of the 4th official helping out...even if it does seem like refs have really been battering us (more than usual) over the last 3 matches...

However....wait till everyone gets a chance to see the rest of the highlights...the ref and his team had many, many unexplainable decisions today...it looks as though the sending off was one of the few correct ones!

Best part of today for me was the spirit and the fight from the players (though only after the sending off)....the reaction from the players and Csaba at the end was superb...

Can't wait for Wednesday...

Wether Stewart was in the wrong or not, the incident should have been brought to the refs attention straight away or not at all

Even if it was the correct decision though?...see what you are saying but other way round we would have been delighted with the teamwork of the officials...

As I said in my earlier post McCurry and his team were shocking today...however, the sending off does seem to be one of the few correct calls made this afternoon.

Even if it was the correct decision though?...see what you are saying but other way round we would have been delighted with the teamwork of the officials...

As I said in my earlier post McCurry and his team were shocking today...however, the sending off does seem to be one of the few correct calls made this afternoon.

Why the delay though? If the 4th official sees it, he gets the refs attention straight away, not 3mins later after an earbashing from Gus.

That was McCurry's fifth SPL fixture this season, and his fourth red card.

I wonder if he's going to keep that ratio going all season? Pfft.

Why the delay though? If the 4th official sees it, he gets the refs attention straight away, not 3mins later after an earbashing from Gus.

I am not 100% sure that he didn't? The first award from McCurry was the corner to Hearts and he then spent some time sorting out a lot pushing, arguing amongst all players in the box.

Then there was a very visible pause from McCurry who then spoke to the stand side linesman, then crossed to the far side linesman....then back into the group of players...then out to the 4th official....then finally back in and gave Stewart the red card and changed it to a free kick...

I can only assume that a call from the 4th official lead to him to checking with all his team as there was no flag...

The People's Chimp
gary Mackay sounded worried on Hearts World before the decision was taken.

The doubts regard the fact that the 4th official opted to get involved in another decision against Hearts

Does anyone have any examples of games when this has occurred in matches involving other SPL sides?

i didn't even know the 4th cheat could actually do that.

there you go then, another first for hearts and the way the scottish game is officiated.

Does anyone have any examples of games when this has occurred in matches involving other SPL sides?

This is the first that I can recall for "on field" activity...

The Old Tolbooth

There isn't any, and it's further proof that the SFA are out to get us I'm afraid. Can you imagine if that happened to an old firm player? There would be mass hysteria all over the press ffs, but because it's Hearts, it's the correct thing to do!

Mikey Stewart was an arse though and deserved to go, but the circumstances were ludicrous!

Drylaw Hearts

It was a sending off without a doubt - Micheal Stewart is a complete liability and need professional help - he is a headcase.

His contract should be ripped up and he should never be allowed to play for us again.

He has once again let his teammates down and it can no longer be tolerated.

Club Captain my erse.

It was a sending off without a doubt - Micheal Stewart is a complete liability and need professional help - he is a headcase.

His contract should be ripped up and he should never be allowed to play for us again.

He has once again let his teammates down and it can no longer be tolerated.

Club Captain my erse.

that may be so, and he must take criticism for it.

the bigger issue is how hearts, funnily enough, always seem to be on the recieving end of bizarre interventions from other officials to over-rule the referee.

other teams continually get away with things without someone else sticking a spanner in the works...... it seems hearts are not allowed to.

Archived