Sending off

CMc

The People's Chimp
There isn't any, and it's further proof that the SFA are out to get us I'm afraid. Can you imagine if that happened to an old firm player? There would be mass hysteria all over the press ffs, but because it's Hearts, it's the correct thing to do!

Mikey Stewart was an arse though and deserved to go, but the circumstances were ludicrous!

Exactly as I thought. No surprises at all.

They were on about hearts discipline problems on the radio; we're hardly a dirty team!

Drylaw Hearts
that may be so, and he must take criticism for it.

the bigger issue is how hearts, funnily enough, always seem to be on the recieving end of bizarre interventions from other officials to over-rule the referee.

other teams continually get away with things without someone else sticking a spanner in the works...... it seems hearts are not allowed to.

I have honestly never heard of the FO getting involved in an on the pitch incident - I don't even know if it is within the rules.

If it is in the rules though there is nothing we can say/do.

His contract should be ripped up and he should never be allowed to play for us again.

As has been the case since Frails first game in charge at Tannadice in January.

I dont subscribe to the theory that we are being singled out by referee's, but within the space of 3 games, we have seen a linesman over-ruling the referee's penalty decision, and a fourth official being involved in bringing an unseen incident to the 3 other officials attention!

Just as well we are not paranoid!!

Exactly as I thought. No surprises at all.

They were on about hearts discipline problems on the radio; we're hardly a dirty team!

Thats the bit that gets me, for the past few seasons we have the most bookings for things like breathing near an opposition player or celebrating a goal and other stupid things the officials throw our way. If this was the case for ALL teams I think it would show that actually we have much better discipline than the majority of other SPL teams. It just seems the norm if in any doubt (or if you just fancy it) book a Hearts player.

I wasn't at the game today and can't really judge todays card. Maybe this was justified but there are plenty we get that aren't.

We won today so my consternation isn't just a case of sour grapes :P

However once again we appear to be victims of a surprisingly 'alert' official !

Sounds like MS deserved to go but how often do similar spats go unnoticed ?

I could also see Csaba being sent to the stand if he'd been giving the 4th official such gip :sad:

Why the delay though? If the 4th official sees it, he gets the refs attention straight away, not 3mins later after an earbashing from Gus.

This is what puzzles me. No action from referee, he then consults one linesman, still no action, it looks as if the corner is going to be taken, referee keeps going into the box to have conversations with players on both sides, then eventually he goes to the 4th official.

Had the 4th official just re-emerged from the tunnel? It crossed my mind that he might just have had a peek at a video screen at some stage during the three minutes. Bizarre, the whole thing. For the second time in a fortnight.

Charlie-Brown

Conventional wisdom suggests that these things even themselves out over the course of a season....well if that's true then we must be storing up a helluva lot of match official intervention in our favour for later in the season?

According to Billy Dodds, who claims to have seen it clearly, Stewart booted Hugh Murray off the ball. If spotted by the ref it would have been, in his opinion, a totally justified red card. Jim Duffy says no argument from Stewart who looked "sheepish".

The main point seems to be that almost two minutes passed between the incident and the 4th official Bobby Madden pulling the ref Mike McCurry over. Apparently the St Mirren bench wouldnt let it go, Gus McPherson influenced the 4th official to bring the ref over.

So on one hand Stewart has been an idiot, but since when does that length of time pass before action is taken?

Was at the game today & Stewart deserved to go for a sly kick... only problem I have is the way the decision was reached...

Neither McCurry or his two assistants saw the incident, however I doubt very much if the 4th official did either... it was well away from the play...

They all looked at each other for quite a while, hoping that someone had seen what had happened to cause the St Mirren players to go mental...

One of the St Mirren's coaches ran out of the dugout & was going nuts at the 4th official before being shepherded back to the bench by the 4th official... then Gus McPherson did the same & it looked like only then did the 4th official get Mike McCurry's attention & advise him to send off Stewart...

A few dodgy decisions today too... Nade was running thru & used his ample belly to push the ball forward... the linesman flagged for handball & Nade was booked... an unbelievable decision... as were two of the clearest corners you'll ever see - both give to St Mirren as bye-kicks...

Have always found it hard to subscribe to the idea that officials will openly cheat, but after today I'm beginning to wonder...

Dagger Is Back

Well there is an upside to all of this. We can now look forward with confidence to 4th officials getting involved across the country in every SPL game.

As we always hear the decisions even out over a season so let's look forward to getting the benefit of a few similar decisions in the weeks/months to come.

Aye that will be shining!

Can someone who was there describe what Mikey actually did in the first place? All I know is that he tried to and possibly succeeded in kicking someone but not much else.

Stewart needs to be more open and upfront when he does something like that. He really needs to (twice in a season) put his hands around the opponents throat and have Ferguson instead of Stewart printed across the back of his strip.

Stewart was tangled with the other player, and kicked out when tried to dis-entangle themselves...but he kicked a bit over exuberantly.

We can argue until the cows come home the fact is Stewart kicked out at the St Mirren player so he has to go, and its not the first time he has let us down remember Dundee un last season.

Grumpy.

Johanes de Silentio

I like Mikey because he's one of the few players who plays for the jersey - he also has some actual ability.

However, his occasional over exuberance (spelling) is a problem - he was fortunate to escape punishment in the recent Edinburgh derby for (understandably) swiping at Ian Murray.

He could struggle to get back in the side after he has served his suspension.

While it appears to be the case that the 4th official can interfere, it rarely actually happens.

In this case, the 4th official did so because Gus McPherson, a Rangers man, and therefore a master of gamesmanship, talked him into it.

The great thing today, though, was that the boys seemed to shrug off the setback, rolled their sleeves up, and dug in - get it right up you, Gus McPherson!

Charlie-Brown
Stewart needs to be more open and upfront when he does something like that. He really needs to (twice in a season) put his hands around the opponents throat and have Ferguson instead of Stewart printed across the back of his strip.

Everybody loves Bazza.............especially if you wear the fluorescent colours of the SFA.

We can argue until the cows come home the fact is Stewart kicked out at the St Mirren player so he has to go, and its not the first time he has let us down remember Dundee un last season.

Grumpy.

Fact is both referee and linesman never seen it and it was a 4th official who intervened.

There is no problem with that if this happens regularly and we're witnessing a level playing field.

We ain't. Answer me this..

When was the last time (that you can remember) a 4th official intervened and offered advice to the ref?

Still as long as the right decision was reached in the end eh?

Charlie-Brown

I'm with Johnny Fingers completely on this one - I don't mind if they send off a Hearts player or chalk off a penalty we've been awarded every single week if that is the correct decision AS LONG AS they apply the same efforts to ensure justice is applied and the correct decision making process is followed through in EVERY GAME not just Hearts games, fair is fair!

Malinga the Swinga

Unlike the ref at the Celtic - Hibs game where he clearly saw Scott Macdonald try and break a hibbys leg, and yet was persuaded by a linesman not to red card him.

It's one rule for them an another for us

Things were bad enough years ago when there was only the Ref after us.

Now the Linesmen and 4th Cheat have equal power to the Ref, we have no chance.

Archived