Two-Tiered EPL (NHC)

Scott_HMFC1874

Scott_HMFC1874

Anybody read about this idea?

http://timesonline.typepad.com/thegame/2008/10/debate-should-t.html

Apparently, Bolton Chairmen Phil Gartside has put forward the idea of having a two-tiered EPL with 36 teams and no relegation. Interesting idea, don't think its very viable though.

IMO, it would make the EPL a tad less exciting and would mean the top four would stretch even further ahead by having more teams they can beat. It certainly wouldn't make the league any more competitive and you wouldn't have teams like Hull City coming up and showing what the they can do amongst the big boys.

I think, from Gartside's point of view at least, its more about financial security, and because his beloved Bolton are getting closer and closer to relegation every year.

If a 2 tiered EPL would it make the possibility of the bigot brothers moving down south more realistic then am all for it! I know that wasn't in the article but would have thought the OF would try squeeze their way in

Yes Hull City are doing well but they will drop down the table and we'll soon be back to the already existing 2-tier EPL.

Man U

Chelsea

Liverpool

Arsenal

All the rest

Scott_HMFC1874

Fair point Samster.

Agree totally. Like I said, I think its an idea from a chairmen of a club who rely on EPL tv money etc, probably not thought through well enough, and generally shot down by anyone aware of it.

Another idea floating about is wage caps. Whats the general consensus on that?

Certainly works in American Football, produces an exciting league throughout the season with every team able to beat everyone else.

Chances of any FA agreeing to that though are very slim

Yes Hull City are doing well but they will drop down the table and we'll soon be back to the already existing 2-tier EPL.

Man U

Chelsea

Liverpool

Arsenal

All the rest

You forgot Man City :)

Jam Tarts 1874
Fair point Samster.

Agree totally. Like I said, I think its an idea from a chairmen of a club who rely on EPL tv money etc, probably not thought through well enough, and generally shot down by anyone aware of it.

Certainly works in American Football, produces an exciting league throughout the season with every team able to beat everyone else.

I'm not sure that the wage structure is the reason for parity in American Football. Their draft system means that the best new players are allocated to the worst performing teams and vice versa.

Scott_HMFC1874
I'm not sure that the wage structure is the reason for parity in American Football. Their draft system means that the best new players are allocated to the worst performing teams and vice versa.

aah yeah. totally forgot about the draft.

Still if every team in the league had the same amount of money allocated for wages, would at least make it fairer in that sense.

Instead you have teams spending millions possibly a week on wages and other teams pittence.

aah yeah. totally forgot about the draft.

Still if every team in the league had the same amount of money allocated for wages, would at least make it fairer in that sense.

Instead you have teams spending millions possibly a week on wages and other teams pittence.

i don't think it would work having the same wage cap for each team, what i think would be better is to have it as a percentage of the clubs turnover

Celtic

Rangers

All the rest! Maybe however HMFC could get into the enlarged EPL and leave Mr amd mrs Bigot here?

Am I the only one that thinks his idea is a complete load of ***** designed to save his own pesh poor club from getting relegated?

As much as I cant stand Hull the EPL would have been far more boring without them. Leagues need new blood every season to stop them going stale. Its another stupid idea like the 39th fixture.

Scott_HMFC1874
Am I the only one that thinks his idea is a complete load of ***** designed to save his own pesh poor club from getting relegated? QUOTE]

nah mate, thats the point i was trying to make. Dunno if it came across that way though.

the percentage of turnover idea sounds a sensible one.

but then again sensible and football associations rarely go hand in hand.

Am I the only one that thinks his idea is a complete load of ***** designed to save his own pesh poor club from getting relegated? QUOTE]

nah mate' date=' thats the point i was trying to make. Dunno if it came across that way though.

but then again sensible and football associations rarely go hand in hand.[/quote']

Would they not come across the problem of it being a closed shop and the clubs outside the set-up would be able to argue restraint of trade and all that jazz? Apologies, I've not read the article (trying to do some work!).

nah mate' date=' thats the point i was trying to make. Dunno if it came across that way though.

but then again sensible and football associations rarely go hand in hand.[/quote']

Too true. If you started limiting how much clubs could spend they would employ expensive men in suits to get it lifted somehow. I agree that it sounds like a good idea and does allow the bigger clubs to be bigger without disappearing over the horizon like just now.

Chelsea, ManU etc will always be far bigger than anyone else the way it stands the now. Would actually love Liverpool to win the league this year just to break up the monotony.

My Dad says in Scotland we used to share out the gate receipts equally among all the teams. I would like to see that again but there's obviously 2 teams who would oppose it.

I P Knightley
i don't think it would work having the same wage cap for each team, what i think would be better is to have it as a percentage of the clubs turnover

That would just perpetuate the current position. I assume that the big 4 are the ones with the toppermost turnover (Newcastle may buck the trend) and would therefore have the ability to attract the top players on the biggest wages, generating more prize money & greater support, leading to more turnover, leading to higher wages etc.

Meanwhile, the pre-Abramovich Chelsea would be prevented from doing what they did on Abramovich's arrival. All the money available from a big investor would be hamstrung by a rule that last year's turnover dictates the wages payable.

Geoff Kilpatrick
I don't quite get your point, Geoff.

Care to elaborate?

The point is that Gartside wants no relegation from the second tier. A team like Hull, currently living the dream as it were, would never have got in in the first place.

Pointless - what would the teams in the second tier of the Premiership actually play for? It would render a huge number of matches completely pointless.

Seymour M Hersh

The "best players" are not allocated to the poorest teams. The team with the worst record has first choice in the collage draft. They still have to decide what player/position they choose and many have got it horribly wrong (San Diego with Ryan Leaf). I'm sure Tom Brady went in about the 3rd round when New England drafted him giving another example of every team in the league missing this guy twice!! As we have no college system over here producing players for senior teams the only way it would work in a similar fashion was if England had 1 football academy and every talented youngster attended it and teams could only recruit up to the age of say 17 from the academy. Teams would find ways to cheat the system though.

Money, get away.

Get a good job with good pay and youre okay.

Money, its a gas.

Grab that cash with both hands and make a stash.

New car, caviar, four star daydream,

Think Ill buy me a football team.

Money, get back.

Im all right jack keep your hands off of my stack.

Money, its a hit.

Dont give me that do goody good bull****.

Im in the high-fidelity first class traveling set

And I think I need a lear jet.

Money, its a crime.

Share it fairly but dont take a slice of my pie.

Money, so they say

Is the root of all evil today.

But if you ask for a raise its no surprise that theyre

Giving none away.

Seymour M Hersh
Money, get away.

Get a good job with good pay and youre okay.

Money, its a gas.

Grab that cash with both hands and make a stash.

New car, caviar, four star daydream,

Think Ill buy me a football team.

Money, get back.

Im all right jack keep your hands off of my stack.

Money, its a hit.

Dont give me that do goody good bull****.

Im in the high-fidelity first class traveling set

And I think I need a lear jet.

Money, its a crime.

Share it fairly but dont take a slice of my pie.

Money, so they say

Is the root of all evil today.

But if you ask for a raise its no surprise that theyre

Giving none away.

Wrote a band with more money than you can shake several sticks at!! Funny how those with it like to remind those without it how evil it is!!

Wrote a band with more money than you can shake several sticks at!! Funny how those with it like to remind those without it how evil it is!!

Hehehe! :)

I was not defending Pink Floyd, or their statements, more remarking that football is no longer about building a good team and doing the best you can. I remember when little Bolton got a win against Liverpool in the cup, and got promoted, seems they want to lock the door behind themselves.

However, you knew that I wasn't championing PF and their financial status anyway! ;)

Guest juvehearts
Am I the only one that thinks his idea is a complete load of ***** designed to save his own pesh poor club from getting relegated?

As much as I cant stand Hull the EPL would have been far more boring without them. Leagues need new blood every season to stop them going stale. Its another stupid idea like the 39th fixture.

It is a good idea in theory BUT their has to be promotion & relegation.

nothing will change tho.

juve

My Dad says in Scotland we used to share out the gate receipts equally among all the teams. I would like to see that again but there's obviously 2 teams who would oppose it.

Pub Quiz time ........ guess which of the ugly sisters lobbied very agressively to have that stopped. Result the home now team keep all the gate receipts?

Clue ....... they did it again this season by charging clubs to sell the "home" tickets to their travelling fans!

Charlie-Brown

When teams shared gate receipts and there was a cap on players wages...between 1945 and 1965 there was 8 seasons in which non-Old Firm teams were Scottish Champions with Hibs (3 titles) Hearts (2 titles) Aberdeen, Dundee & Kilmarnock (1 title each) which meant that on average a non Old Firm team won the title twice in every five seasons - Scottish football was never and has since never been so competitive as it was in that 20 year period.

Fair point Samster.

wage cap wouldn't work unless it was applied to whole World. It is effective in US sports because nobody else plays them, or at least no wealthy countries do...

Seymour M Hersh
Hehehe! :)

I was not defending Pink Floyd, or their statements, more remarking that football is no longer about building a good team and doing the best you can. I remember when little Bolton got a win against Liverpool in the cup, and got promoted, seems they want to lock the door behind themselves.

However, you knew that I wasn't championing PF and their financial status anyway! ;)

Arf arf.

Correct, I'm a big fan myself. :P

Archived