Supreme Sacrifice - BBC1, Wednesday (merged threads)

JAYEL

Here it is for those that can?t wait until Wednesday to see it, the "Romanov King Of Hearts" documentary is also attached,

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=7R7BC4TT

Hang on - is it safe for me to download such a big file? I've got a Sony Vaio: plenty of storage space (about 60% of the 105GB I started with), but I can't recall ever downloading such a large file before... :mw_confused:

Hang on - is it safe for me to download such a big file? I've got a Sony Vaio: plenty of storage space (about 60% of the 105GB I started with), but I can't recall ever downloading such a large file before... :mw_confused:

Perfectly safe, just a bit tedious if you don't have a really fast connection.

Perfectly safe, just a bit tedious if you don't have a really fast connection.

Cheers! I have 3 hours 28 minutes remaining apparently - almost long enough for me to write a new post on here...

Geoff Kilpatrick
Cheers! I have 3 hours 28 minutes remaining apparently - almost long enough for me to write a new post on here...

Oh great! "A taxi driver writes..." :P

This will be a long one then....I'm timing you now!! ;)

Oh great! "A taxi driver writes..." :P

:biggrin: Not, of course, that I'd ever have been sad enough to have started an anonymous letter writing campaign at school with those immortal words. Oh no. :)

This will be a long one then....I'm timing you now!! ;)

Fear not! I was jesting - for once... :eek:

Fear not! I was jesting - for once... :eek:

We're thinking of upping the storage on the JKB server so as to have sufficient capacity for your posts. :whistling:

We're thinking of upping the storage on the JKB server so as to have sufficient capacity for your posts. :whistling:

I give daily thanks for the fact that this site only features the total post count of every Kickbacker - and not a total word count... :untitled:

It really does not bear thinking about what suffering all the soldiers went through during this horrible war, the thing that i never quite understood was why the soldiers who marched into the German machine guns could not have held up some kind of shield that would have protected them from there slaughter.

Millions of lives taken for a few meters of worthless land, all the futures of all these soldiers wiped out for what ?

God bless there soles.

Machine guns although deadly were secondary in causing fatalities. Shells bursting with shrapnel were the main killer. Birdsong by Sebastian Faulks must be the nearest to capturing what it must have been like at the front, and he gives HMFC a namecheck.

It really does not bear thinking about what suffering all the soldiers went through during this horrible war, the thing that i never quite understood was why the soldiers who marched into the German machine guns could not have held up some kind of shield that would have protected them from there slaughter.

Millions of lives taken for a few meters of worthless land, all the futures of all these soldiers wiped out for what ?

God bless there soles.

The reasons are, they did not have anything to use and the guys at the top made them go over the top, with absolutly no regard for their losses. Top brass in those days, thought the working classes were less worth than their horse.

Blackadder is a comedy, but read between the lines, when he is talking to the top brass. It may give you an insight into how they thought.

JAMBOn_et_fromage

Not sure when this originates from, but seems appropriate today.

The Final Inspection

The soldier stood and faced his God,

Which must always come to pass.

He hoped his shoes were shining,

Just as brightly as his brass.

"Step forward now, you soldier,

How shall I deal with you?

Have you always turned the other cheek?

To My Church have you been true?"

The soldier squared his shoulders and said,

"No, Lord, I guess I ain't.

Because those of us who carry guns,

Can't always be a saint.

I've had to work most Sundays,

And at times my talk was tough.

And sometimes I've been violent,

because the world is awfully rough.

But, I never took a penny,

That wasn't mine to keep...

Though I worked a lot of overtime,

When the bills got just too steep.

And I never passed a cry for help,

Though at times I shook with fear.

And sometimes, God, forgive me,

I've wept unmanly tears.

I know I don't deserve a place,

Among the people here.

They never wanted me around,

Except to calm their fears.

If you've a place for me here, Lord,

It needn't be so grand.

I never expected, or had too much,

But if you don't, I'll understand."

There was a silence all around the throne,

Where the saints had often trod.

As the soldier waited quietly,

For the judgment of his God.

"Step forward now, you soldier,

You've borne your burdens well.

Walk peacefully on Heaven's streets;

You've done your time in Hell."

Author Unknown

The Establishment

Also think its a bit rubbish to show it the same day Hearts and most of the rest of the SPL have games.

I'm sure that will rapidly decrease the viewership of what would be a very educational programme and make most Hearts fans extremly proud of the clubs heritage.

Watched the Rolf Harris, Kirsty Wark "My family at War" last night and found it very poignant and emotional.

Makes you feel extra fortunate not to have lived through it

Also think its a bit rubbish to show it the same day Hearts and most of the rest of the SPL have games.

I'm sure that will rapidly decrease the viewership of what would be a very educational programme and make most Hearts fans extremly proud of the clubs heritage.

Watched the Rolf Harris, Kirsty Wark "My family at War" last night and found it very poignant and emotional.

I'm just delighted that they're showing it at all. :)

And 22:45 isn't too bad...most should be home by then, surely?

I know that it's day late but it should give a bump to the thread about the programme tonight.

I came across this post in a blog I read on a daily basis

BONG!

Here we go again.

Do I really have to stand here for two minutes? Just because some old people say so? I'd rather be reading the paper.

It's raining again. I hope it clears up before the weekend, I've got some important shopping to do. Oh hurry up, I need a cigarette. Come on, it's nearly lunchtime!

I could really do with a cappucino and a blueberry muffin, keep my blood sugar up. Maybe I'll get some from the caf? later, a chance for a good rest.

Ali's not looking well. He's got the manflu, ever since that paper cut earlier in the week. I don't think the elastoplast on his finger looks convincing. You normally only pull a sickie for something serious.

Everyone's gone quiet. There's not been talking for over a minute now, it's not natural. I suppose I ought to think about soldiers and dead people and that. I try not to bother myself with global conflict to be honest, best not to consider the consequences, if it happens it happens.

I'm not going down the pub with the girls again. If they want to find out the gossip about Bex that badly they can bloody well follow it on Facebook like the rest of us. Adam's still two-timing her, apparently.

Who farted? Hard to tell, nobody's smirking, they all look so damned bored. I could be doing something useful now, not staring into space. Bet the wrinklies are loving every second.

I wish I was somewhere else, anywhere but here. Back at home with Mandy and a few lagers, sitting on the sofa, giving her tongues. I'll send her a text later, tell her how much I fancy her.

God, this is hell. Please let it be over soon.

bong!

BANG!

Here we go again.

That shell sounded close, probably in the trench nextdoor. I think it fell short, I'm sure I didn't hear anyone scream.

It's raining again. Like we haven't got enough mud here already. That feels like a rat down by my boot, but I can't see through the smoke. I hope it's not hungry.

I could really do with a cup of Bovril and some bully beef, keep my spirits up. Maybe we'll get some at the end of the watch, that and some blessed sleep.

Alf's not looking well. He's got the shakes, ever since that near miss earlier in the week. I don't think the dressing on his wound looks healthy. You normally only see that many flies around a corpse.

The Hun have gone quiet. There's not been gunfire for over a minute now, I could get used to this. Too much to think they might be retreating, probably just rearming. I try not to think about death these days, best not to consider the consequences, if it happens it happens.

I'm not crawling out into no-man's-land again. If the officers need reconnaissance that badly they can bloody well crawl out themselves. Arthur's still missing out there somewhere, or what's left of him.

Is that gas? Hard to tell, everything smells foul out here in the trenches. I probably stink, but it's been weeks since I had a bath. Bet the headlice are loving every filthy second.

I wish I was somewhere else, anywhere but here. Back at home with Mary and the dog, sitting by a warm fire, cuddling up close. I'll write her a letter later, tell her how much I love her.

God, this is hell. Please let it be over soon.

bang!

It reads better in its original format/context http:////diamondgeezer.blogspot.com/

Just scroll down to Tuesday 11th November. It just puts things in perspective.

Perhaps...my point is really that on the Eastern Front a lot of the nationalities sided with the Germans and were involved in a hell of a lot of atrocities.

Sorry to go off topic.

They did indeed. One of the most chilling images at the Topographie des Terrors exhibition at the former Gestapo complex in Berlin's Wilhelmstr./Prinz-Albrecht Str. is a photo of Kaunas inhabitants clubbing to death local Jews with iron bars and anything else which came to hand.

Having downloaded the programme from the link provided earlier in the thread, I found that Real Player couldn't show the pictures for some reason (anyone able to help with this?). So I listened to it instead; and finished up in tears. It is such a harrowing, proud tale, and Jack Alexander deserves all the credit going for ensuring we all know about it.

I can't even begin to imagine what those poor, brave men went through - and will always be disgusted by the most scandalous dereliction of duty in the history of this country. Lions led by donkeys, indeed; heroes led by cowards, murderers and *******s. Which makes it even more important that the suffering endured during the Great War is never, ever forgotten.

Most definitely!!! I can't imagine being faced with the horrors!

The link keeps cutting out at various times. Looking forward to watching it. I checked the BBC iPlayer website, and its not available which seems very weird. Does it normally take a while to show? Also since it was shown in Scotland, will it eventually be shown onn BBC1 down south?

The reasons are, they did not have anything to use and the guys at the top made them go over the top, with absolutly no regard for their losses. Top brass in those days, thought the working classes were less worth than their horse.

Blackadder is a comedy, but read between the lines, when he is talking to the top brass. It may give you an insight into how they thought.

I disagree.

For one thing the middle classes suffered just as much as anyone else, Generals lost their sons, Asquith the prime Minister lost his son, and around sixty generals were killed during the war! The 'chip on the shoulder' nonsense insults the two and a half million who volunteered!

Haig wrote in 1909 that the coming war would be a war of attrition, there was no other way! All top brass knew the moment the 'war of movement ended trench warfare would begin. None had an answer, and I suspect those who attack the generals would have had less idea what to do in that situation!

I recommend a good book for all interested in the Great War.

'Tommy.'

295zcwm.jpg

This is probably for any ex-pats or anyone that missed it.

My video ( yeah old school but ) was playing up so i asked my mate to tape it.

Ends up i have two VHS copies

If anyone would like a copy PM me address and i will send it out.

Hi , I was wondering if anyone taped this programe on Wednesday night. I have only just found out that my grandfather was featured in it. I would be really grateful if anyone out there could help me find a recording of it as I know my mother would love to see it. Many thanks.

Thanks Tiger,

I have been tryin to get copies of these for a while. It will be interesting to look back at the Romanov documentary again. I always hoped the club would bring out a DVD of supreme sacrifice. I am sure they would sell plenty, particularly if some of the money was going to appropriate charities.

Whitley Jambo
This link is now working, just key in the 3 letter code on screen and it should automatically start the download, will take a couple of hours depending on your connection speed, enjoy.

Help required. Thanks for the link, and I downloaded the file but it will only play sound without pictures when I open it. What have I done wrong ? Probably simple explanation but I am technophobe. Anyone ?

Help required. Thanks for the link, and I downloaded the file but it will only play sound without pictures when I open it. What have I done wrong ? Probably simple explanation but I am technophobe. Anyone ?

You probably need a new codec, try these,

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/download/AllDownloads.aspx

or

http://www.wmplugins.com/ItemList.aspx?typeid=8

stirlingshirejambo

Just listened to Steven Frail talking about his attendance last Sunday. Says that he is still proud to be associated with this unique event.

Said he felt it was the best ever and how moved he was by the Hearts of Glory rendition.

Archived