Supreme Sacrifice - BBC1, Wednesday (merged threads)

JAYEL

cheers jay

i hope someone bumps this on the night, or another post is made so we don't forget it

thank you muckle

I would love to hear that! Could someone shove it up on Limewire so that I can put on my iPod?

Could someone shove it up on Limewire so that I can put on my iPod?

Ooohh, get you, Mr Tomorrow's World! :P

Buffalo Bill

Ooohh, get you, Mr Tomorrow's World! :P

Buffalo Bill

baxter_1974_tomorrowsworld_web.jpg

As an aside, I'm requesting my work records it so we can add it to our War Poets Collection. Mostly based around Owen & Sassoon, but any WW1 material can be added and when doing tours of our collection I always make a point of referring to McCraes and the contribution of the Hearts.

BBC Scotland only so not going to get it down here :badmood:

Dont see why this programme isnt be shown UK wide

Sky Ch 971 mate.

Agreed, at a time when the BBC are getting it tight from all angles for not showing enough locally produced programming nationwide, this would have been an ideal opportunity for a national broadcast.

The EBC strikes again.

I can watch the show down here but can't record it so, if anyone is able to do me a favour and make a copy for me, please PM me.

i would but my video is knackered.

i'll have a word around though and see if i can come up with anything...

i'm sure there will be someone who can help though

:)

winston churchill

get somebody in troon too tape it.

i hear VHS videos are the in thing down there this year.

get somebody in troon too tape it.

i hear VHS videos are the in thing down there this year.

still using betamax in Troon last I heard :cool:

anyway, more Cheshire than Ayrshire these days hence cant get BBC Scotland... :(

best in the land

not seen it posted elsewhere but noticed theres a programme on ITV on wednesday night at around 10.30(i think) called supreme sacrifice about the hearts players in mcraes battallion.

should be watched by all jambos i think.

sorry if old news.

not seen it posted elsewhere but noticed theres a programme on ITV on wednesday night at around 10.30(i think) called supreme sacrifice about the hearts players in mcraes battallion.

should be watched by all jambos i think.

sorry if old news.

It is on BBC1

scott herbertson

It would be useful if someone could load a copy up to rapidshare or similar - like soem others I live in England and I don't have sky so will miss it altogether. I'm probably working late as well

There is one person in eastern europe that should be chained to a seat with his eyes clamped open and forced to watch this...

With his idiot of a ****** son

Charlie-Brown
There is one person in eastern europe that should be chained to a seat with his eyes clamped open and forced to watch this...

I think more people were killed in a few weeks in Kaunas & Vilnius and other cities in Lithuania in 1941 than Edinburgh & Lothians lost in the whole of both world wars - I think the former soviet peoples know all about the suffering and loss of wars.

is that true charlie?? its not a fact i was aware of

that said, i think most european countries suffered losses, something i think our eastern europeans are more than aware of.

i do despair of my historical knowledge sometimes, but i find a lot of military history and war history a bit difficult to get into

I think more people were killed in a few weeks in Kaunas & Vilnius and other cities in Lithuania in 1941 than Edinburgh & Lothians lost in the whole of both world wars - I think the former soviet peoples know all about the suffering and loss of wars.

Whats that got to do with the price of betroot soup?

I'm talking about getting an insight into the backbone, morality and honour that our football club used to have

Charlie-Brown
Whats that got to do with the price of betroot soup?

I'm talking about getting an insight into the backbone, morality and honour that our football club used to have

Well Romanov was able to attend the memorial ceremony last year so I'm sure he knows what it's all about, his own Mother also endured the seige of Leningrad so I think his family too also suffered during the war.

Well Romanov was able to attend the memorial ceremony last year so I'm sure he knows what it's all about, his own Mother also endured the seige of Leningrad so I think his family too also suffered during the war.

I'm sure they did

But this is a thread about McCraes Battalion - not the wars of the 20th century generally

Charlie-Brown
I'm sure they did

But this is a thread about McCraes Battalion - not the wars of the 20th century generally

So what is your point? Romanov didn't attend today as far as iam aware but then how many Hearts fans have been to contalmaison?

Its been a long time baby

Is it not a repeat of the one a couple of years ago? It was called supreme sacrifice as well. It was very good and still have it on tape

ive got it set on the old sky+, i will rip it on to my computer and upload to a rapidshare or megaupload type site for people to download if it doesn't appear on uknova or somewhere similar first.

Charlie-Brown
is that true charlie?? its not a fact i was aware of

that said, i think most european countries suffered losses, something i think our eastern europeans are more than aware of.

i do despair of my historical knowledge sometimes, but i find a lot of military history and war history a bit difficult to get into

Yes it's true Beverley - some truly terrible things happened in that part of the world....here is just a glimpse of some of the horror.

Beginning in the summer of 1941, Einsatzgruppen killed more than 70,000 Jews at Ponary, outside Vilna (now Vilnius) in Lithuania. They slaughtered 9,000 Jews, half of them children, at the Ninth Fort adjacent to Kovno (now Kaunas), Lithuania, on October 28.

The mass shootings continued unabated, with a first wave and then a second. When the killing ended in the face of a Soviet counteroffensive, special units returned to dig up the dead and burn their bodies to destroy the evidence of the crimes. It is estimated that the Einsatzgruppen killed more than one million people, most of whom were Jews.

from http://www.britannica.com/EBchecked/topic/269548/Holocaust/215489/The-Einsatzgruppen

It really does not bear thinking about what suffering all the soldiers went through during this horrible war, the thing that i never quite understood was why the soldiers who marched into the German machine guns could not have held up some kind of shield that would have protected them from there slaughter.

Millions of lives taken for a few meters of worthless land, all the futures of all these soldiers wiped out for what ?

God bless there soles.

Charlie-Brown
It really does not bear thinking about what suffering all the soldiers went through during this horrible war, the thing that i never quite understood was why the soldiers who marched into the German machine guns could not have held up some kind of shield that would have protected them from there slaughter.

Millions of lives taken for a few meters of worthless land, all the futures of all these soldiers wiped out for what ?

God bless there soles.

I saw on the history channel that the reason they walked forward instead of running or crawling was because it was the most practical way to advance - they had to carry their kit with them in their back-packs and trying to run forward would be very much more energy sapping after more than a few hundred yards, whilst crawling forward would be much much slower advance and giving the enemy plenty time to find their range with shelling & machine gun fire - a brisk walk turned out to be the most practical way to steadily advance.......later in the war the advent of tanks and more commando type tactics change the nature of offensive tactics.

The Soviet people do know about loss.

The Baltic States also know a thing or two about being on the losing side...

Whilst I agree with your sentiments regarding VR, I think it is a little off calling anyone a ******.I will accept you posted in haste, but hope you will retract that part of your post.

Thanks.

Yes it's true Beverley - some truly terrible things happened in that part of the world....here is just a glimpse of some of the horror.

Beginning in the summer of 1941, Einsatzgruppen killed more than 70,000 Jews at Ponary, outside Vilna (now Vilnius) in Lithuania. They slaughtered 9,000 Jews, half of them children, at the Ninth Fort adjacent to Kovno (now Kaunas), Lithuania, on October 28.

The mass shootings continued unabated, with a first wave and then a second. When the killing ended in the face of a Soviet counteroffensive, special units returned to dig up the dead and burn their bodies to destroy the evidence of the crimes. It is estimated that the Einsatzgruppen killed more than one million people, most of whom were Jews.

from http://www.britannica.com/EBchecked/topic/269548/Holocaust/215489/The-Einsatzgruppen

How many of the Einsatzgruppen were locals?

this is something many of us are guilty of forgetting, that while many, many soldiers were killed, there was outrageous suffering going on that we, and our allies, were fighting against.

so many victims in war, not all are soldiers. they made their sacrifice, as did their families ultimately, to ensure that these atrocities stopped

we must NEVER forget

Charlie-Brown
How many of the Einsatzgruppen were locals?

Probably a significant percentage Boris ... that doesn't negate the horrors of the crime or lessen the death toll....the facts are a helluva lot of people died .... the counties & shires & burgh's of the UK suffered saddening losses in both world wars however the war was never fought in our own back yard and relative suffering was much less if truth be told.

I think you are being a bit disingenuous with that question Boris?

Perhaps...my point is really that on the Eastern Front a lot of the nationalities sided with the Germans and were involved in a hell of a lot of atrocities.

Sorry to go off topic.

The Eastern front was used by a lot of minorities to settle scores on each other, places like the Baltic and Balkans have still got scars from it all today. Btw if anybody manages to upload the programme somewhere any chance of a pm letting me know as the EBC are not showing it down here and I dont think my plus box wants to record it.Thanks.

I'm a little disappointed it's being aired this Wednesday - it's not giving us out of townies much time to get from the match at Tynie to our cars/trains and then home to catch it.

And no I don't have sky plus...

Guest JamboRobbo

So will this be the biased media monkeys out to tarnish the good name of HMFC again? :eek::P

Or are they okay when they do stuff we like? :P

Is it not a repeat of the one a couple of years ago? It was called supreme sacrifice as well. It was very good and still have it on tape

Yes , its been on before , i have a copy on dvd and its well worth watching , it makes you realy proud to be associated with HMFC.

Here it is for those that can?t wait until Wednesday to see it, the "Romanov King Of Hearts" documentary is also attached,

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=7R7BC4TT

This link is now working, just key in the 3 letter code on screen and it should automatically start the download, will take a couple of hours depending on your connection speed, enjoy.

I'm a little disappointed it's being aired this Wednesday - it's not giving us out of townies much time to get from the match at Tynie to our cars/trains and then home to catch it.

And no I don't have sky plus...

I would expect it to be on http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer once its been aired.

Archived