I'm a better fan than you

Brian Whittaker's Tache

Brian Whittaker's Tache

I'm doing a football related promo at work and I'm looking for examples of fans who'll stop at nothing to support their team.

One example is my mate Andy ? Chelsea fanatic ? who had an earpiece in listening to 5 Live during someone?s wedding.

Equally a short bloke who stands stock still on a stool in the pub for 90 minutes as he has to see over the sea of people to catch the match

They might be examples informed by ingeniousness, courage, perseverance, loyalty or camaraderie, wittiness.

Whatever the inspiration be grateful for all other suggestions from your experiences please.

Used to work with a hun who told me a story about his mate.

Told me he was banned from travelling to europe when Rangers were in europe and had to hand over his passport to police every time they were away from home.

However, he apparently managed to get all the way to Istanbul without a passport for Gers clash with Galatasaray a few years back.

It took him about 5 days to get there but managed to get to the match on time going through about a dozen different countries!

I didnt belive the guy but said it was definately true.

98 cup final, was working in a pub in kent and my boss would not let me take the weekend off , at 1am on the day of the final i told my boss to stick his job up his bum.(not the cleverest thing i have done as i lived upstairs in the pub with the missus) i packed a rucksack with hearts top, scarf, toothbrush and spare pair of boxers told the missus i had jacked in and jumped in the car.

At this point she decided to quit too, pack all our gear call her mum and move us out to her house which was not far away.

As i was just coming up to the dartford crossing i got a call from her saying that she had bought me a plane ticket, so i turned around a drove to gatwick dumped the car and got the 7 o'clock flight to edinburgh, got picked up about 9 from the airport and drove into town to see if i could pick up a ticket at waverly, no joy there but didmeet up with a few other mates that were ticketless, we all jumped on a train to the match and one by one everyone got a spare ticet apart from me!!!!!

with five minutes to kick off i told the lads just to go in and that i'd watch it in a pub, walking away from the ground utterly dejected, with hundreds of jambos going the other way into the ground i let out another shout of "anyone got a spare ticket!!" everyone shaking there heads and then a jambo i will thank forever ran up to me with a ticket, i offered him fifty quid and he said NO, i almost cried but then he said your a jambo i only want face value for it, i almost kissed him!!!!!

got in to my seat just as the penalty was given and the rest is history :)

ps I don't recommend jacking in your job for a final the missus was livid.

Brian Whittaker's Tache

Excellent BNJ

I got a flight up from London after the 98 flight from Heathrow on my student visa card then a taxi from the airport and was outside the ground as the bus came back (was watching it at the Sports Cafe on Haymarket)

Met my folks outside the ground in the crowd

Best day ever!

Guest juvehearts

bordaeux 2003.

went on the bus run by scott.

19hr & 30 mins later we arrived at the novotel, aboyt 25 miles away from the city centre.

23& a half back.

was worth it because we won 1-0.

that game, we DID travel far by bus & car.

I came across this when looking at the Russian Premier league and wilkpedia.

The team currently second bottom is FC Luch-Energiya Vladivostok. This team play so far to the east of Russia its almost part of Japan.

When playing FC Zenit Saint Petersburg at home, a trio of Zenit fans (Evgeny Stepanov, Aleksandr Zaraysky and Veronika Davidova) drove 15,000km across the country only for their car to break down when in Vladivostok, leaving them unable to drive home. These fans thus took the Trans-Siberian Railway back to Saint Petersburg, upon which the club rewarded them with a new car on October 1, 2006.

And we consider Aberdeen a long journey!:P

bordaeux 2003.

19hr & 30 mins later we arrived at the novotel, aboyt 25 miles away from the city centre.

23& a half back.

on a side note: I have that game on video tape. Possibly the only copy?

I once quit a job on the spot because I was refused permission to leave an hour early to go to a midweek League cup game against Stranraer. Fully justified by us winning a classic encounter(ahem) 2-0.

Not something I'd do now right enough. In fact I'd probably volunteer for overtime to avoid it :)

bordaeux 2003.

23& a half back.

I was on that bus:cool:

I think that the chap with the ROMANOV full back tattoo should win this prize.

For being a prize plum?

on a side note: I have that game on video tape. Possibly the only copy?

na i have a copy too. Only because my bus was caught in a traffic jam on the way home from uni and i phoned home to get it taped.

think i missed the first half an hour.

na i have a copy too. Only because my bus was caught in a traffic jam on the way home from uni and i phoned home to get it taped.

think i missed the first half an hour.

Would it be any could to anyone who could transfer it to a more modern format? upload it to their pc or something?

One of our best european nights in recent times.

Would it be any could to anyone who could transfer it to a more modern format? upload it to their pc or something?

One of our best european nights in recent times.

I wouldn't know how to do it or even if it could be done?

Its on an old VHS.

I wouldn't know how to do it or even if it could be done?

Its on an old VHS.

I've got it on DVD somewhere:p:p

bordaeux 2003.

23& a half back.

Vienna, 1989...I had never flown and said I would'nt fly to Vienna....So me and 4 mates got the Train from Waverly to Kingscross,Kingscross - Dover, Ferry from Dover to Ostend, Train from Ostend to Frankfurt, then a Train from Frankfurt to Vienna (That trip alone was about 14hrs) When we got there we couldn't get a Hotel, We met a supporters Bus outside a Hotel we had just been bumped from, they let us sneak in with them...The next 2-3 days were a blur, Anyway, the Bassa's had booked a flight back, Luton, got a Bus from Luton Airport (Private Hire) to Kingscross and a Train back to Waverley, Arrived back on the Saturday morning (Peshed again) in time for the game on the Saturday, I'm sure it was against the Hobos, but TBH it could have been the drink!! :P

I'd told the now ex-girlfriend I was working over time...She dumped me!! :sad:

Guest juvehearts
Vienna, 1989...I had never flown and said I would'nt fly to Vienna....So me and 4 mates got the Train from Waverly to Kingscross,Kingscross - Dover, Ferry from Dover to Ostend, Train from Ostend to Frankfurt, then a Train from Frankfurt to Vienna (That trip alone was about 14hrs) When we got there we couldn't get a Hotel, We met a supporters Bus outside a Hotel we had just been bumped from, they let us sneak in with them...The next 2-3 days were a blur, Anyway, the Bassa's had booked a flight back, Luton, got a Bus from Luton Airport (Private Hire) to Kingscross and a Train back to Waverley, Arrived back on the Saturday morning (Peshed again) in time for the game on the Saturday, I'm sure it was against the Hobos, but TBH it could have been the drink!! :P

I'd told the now ex-girlfriend I was working over time...She dumped me!! :sad:

tough croud lol.

only took you 14hrs & you managed to get a leg strech!

see these part timers. :rolleyes:

i remember my old man telling me about another trip to bolongia (sp)

oh how i miss those european nights :(

live nr brighton south of london, come up to about 5/6 games a season, so its allways a bit of a mish, have had quite a few travel nightmares. most recent have been standing up on a packed delayed train from kings cross for the motherwell game. stood for 7 hours someone even pressed the emergency stop because they couldnt sleep! neway missed the 1st half had 2 leave 10 mins before the end to get the trainback. total time in edinburgh about an hour. then got home round 12ish was locked out of my house. gutted.

I 've done similar madoubleca i live in brighton now and the journey up on the train is always a nightmare, fly up mostly now as it's probably the same price and if you get the first flight of the day it's nearly always on time. where abouts down here are you?

Colonel Kurtz

Germany 1974

Two of us left from the Inch with ?12 between us,we knew the bus no.3 to the waverley and nothing from there.

Made it ,and coming back from a game met a boy sleeping under a hedge,we invited him back to our tent.

He took one look at the nick of our digs and said.."feck it im away back to my tent"

tough croud lol.

only took you 14hrs & you managed to get a leg strech!

see these part timers. :rolleyes:

i remember my old man telling me about another trip to bolongia (sp)

oh how i miss those european nights :(

Trip from Frankfurt to Vienna took 14 hours, Trip in Total was nearly 2 days!! :rolleyes:

I'd love to know how you thought that WHOLE trip would only take 14 hours...You tried to use British public Transport mate :P

Done Munich on the Bus the same season..."Never mind the Bollocks, here come the Clifton Arms"....Magic 4 days!!

I think that the chap with the ROMANOV full back tattoo should win this prize.

I actually know that guy!! Think he wants the Romanov removed but wants to keep the badge.

I 've done similar madoubleca i live in brighton now and the journey up on the train is always a nightmare, fly up mostly now as it's probably the same price and if you get the first flight of the day it's nearly always on time. where abouts down here are you?

yeah thats what i do now, fly up for round ?25 with easyjet. then train back for about tenner sometimes. fecking train. live in a town called uckfield about 10 mins from lewes, 25 mins to bri.

98 cup final, was working in a pub in kent and my boss would not let me take the weekend off , at 1am on the day of the final i told my boss to stick his job up his bum.(not the cleverest thing i have done as i lived upstairs in the pub with the missus) i packed a rucksack with hearts top, scarf, toothbrush and spare pair of boxers told the missus i had jacked in and jumped in the car.

At this point she decided to quit too, pack all our gear call her mum and move us out to her house which was not far away.

As i was just coming up to the dartford crossing i got a call from her saying that she had bought me a plane ticket, so i turned around a drove to gatwick dumped the car and got the 7 o'clock flight to edinburgh, got picked up about 9 from the airport and drove into town to see if i could pick up a ticket at waverly, no joy there but didmeet up with a few other mates that were ticketless, we all jumped on a train to the match and one by one everyone got a spare ticet apart from me!!!!!

with five minutes to kick off i told the lads just to go in and that i'd watch it in a pub, walking away from the ground utterly dejected, with hundreds of jambos going the other way into the ground i let out another shout of "anyone got a spare ticket!!" everyone shaking there heads and then a jambo i will thank forever ran up to me with a ticket, i offered him fifty quid and he said NO, i almost cried but then he said your a jambo i only want face value for it, i almost kissed him!!!!!

got in to my seat just as the penalty was given and the rest is history :)

ps I don't recommend jacking in your job for a final the missus was livid.

did you give him a tip

I was on that bus:cool:

bordaeux 2003.

23& a half back.

I was the other bus run by Derek.

Does driving 440 miles to every home game count?

I actually know that guy!! Think he wants the Romanov removed but wants to keep the badge.

I would also like Romanov removed :rolleyes:

Charlie-Brown
I would also like Romanov removed :rolleyes:

I never understood why you got that tattoo in the first place anyway? :P

I never understood why you got that tattoo in the first place anyway? :P

Had it all - Le Donna e Mobile as my ringtone, the full back ROMANOV tattoo, a pair of Rudi's shorts he threw to me, one of George Burley's Budweiser bottles, one of the balsa wood models of the new Tynecastle ... and then it all went sour.

Charlie-Brown
Had it all - Le Donna e Mobile as my ringtone, the full back ROMANOV tattoo, a pair of Rudi's shorts he threw to me, one of George Burley's Budweiser bottles, one of the balsa wood models of the new Tynecastle ... and then it all went sour.

Ah well, the best laid schemes o' mice and men an a that...... :)

bordaeux 2003.

23& a half back.

I was on that bus too. I was leathered by the time we got to the english border!

I was on that bus too. I was leathered by the time we got to the english border!

I started to flag @ Calais:cool:

Sat in the home end at Celtic Park twice just so I could see us play. Doesn't come close to some of the stories on here but still pretty torturous. ;)

To make matters worse, we were beaten 5-0 in the first game and then drew 2-2 in the second having led 2-0 going into stoppage time.

Sat in the home end at Celtic Park twice just so I could see us play. Doesn't come close to some of the stories on here but still pretty torturous. ;)

To make matters worse, we were beaten 5-0 in the first game and then drew 2-2 in the second having led 2-0 going into stoppage time.

look i've done many rediculous things to watch hearts, including selling my car so i had money for a season ticket but that story is SHOCKING:eek: how did you handle it and did you catch anything ;)

Archived