steve gerrard - cheat

3inaBednar

Liverpool, dodgy penalty @ the kop end..............................I'm not surprised.

The ref lost the plot.

imagine Miko done that in a CL tie versus a scottish team - he'd be assasinated!

i hate liverpool, more dodgy decisions go there way than the OF.

gerrard = cheat

scotland is about the only country which gets all high and mighty about cheating, it's embarrassing.

if that had been 'you-know-who', there would be one almighty rumpus about it.

if it had been a celtic or rangers player, i feel sure there would have been media comments along the lines of... 'he did what he had to do'... or... 'he was clever there'.

Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC

I'm going against the majority here.

I thought there was definitely enough contact to go down. He made a meal of it yes but it wasn't an actual Miko style dive.

scotland is about the only country which gets all high and mighty about cheating, it's embarrassing.

if that had been 'you-know-who', there would be one almighty rumpus about it.

if it had been a celtic or rangers player, i feel sure there would have been media comments along the lines of... 'he did what he had to do'... or... 'he was clever there'.

Anyone who loves football should hate the disease. I was embarrassed by Stewart v Aberdeen.

that's it

Can't stand him. Something up with my computer but maybe someone could type "Gerard hypocrite" into youtube and post the link.

I thought there was definitely enough contact to go down. He made a meal of it yes but it wasn't an actual Miko style dive.

they're both as bad as each other in my book

Carl Weathers

Gerrard ran into the Madrid player!

HMFCjamieHMFC

Not much of a dive he just over acted how bad the contact was. Wasn't a penalty but the handball earlier was

Anyone who loves football should hate the disease. I was embarrassed by Stewart v Aberdeen.

to be honest it's the hypocrisy in the game that gets my goat more than the cheating itself. in an ideal world then yes we are better off without it.

not a hint of an accusation from the television pundits though.

Gerrard ran into the Madrid player!

Wasn't quite as simple as that though.

He challenged for the ball and was about 3 foot off the ground when contact was made (at full pace) and the ref deemed it a penalty.

It wasn't an actual DIVE is what I'm saying.

Can't stand him. Something up with my computer but maybe someone could type "Gerard hypocrite" into youtube and post the link.

to be honest it's the hypocrisy in the game that gets my goat more than the cheating itself. in an ideal world then yes we are better off without it.

not a hint of an accusation from the television pundits though.

That's a fair point.

A slight nudge and he did make the most of it - I'd have been upset if given at the other end. But as Andy Townsend has just said, it was a stupid challenge by the defender as the ball was heading for the corner.

The referee was appalling for both sides. Liverpool had three strong claims for a penalty (Kuyt twice being manhandled in the box while the ball was active and a blatant handball) while Athletico Madrid had two strong claims themselves (Mascherano and Carragher handballs).

As for the game, its obvious what Benitez has to do in January, sign a goalscorer who can weigh in with as many strikes as Torres because the latter has been missed.

HMFCjamieHMFC
A slight nudge and he did make the most of it - I'd have been upset if given at the other end. But as Andy Townsend has just said, it was a stupid challenge by the defender as the ball was heading for the corner.

The referee was appalling for both sides. Liverpool had three strong claims for a penalty (Kuyt twice being manhandled in the box while the ball was active and a blatant handball) while Athletico Madrid had two strong claims themselves (Mascherano and Carragher handballs).

As for the game, its obvious what Benitez has to do in January, sign a goalscorer who can weigh in with as many strikes as Torres because the latter has been missed.

Carragher really couldn't have done anything with his handball

The Old Tolbooth

Not much mention of the 2 or 3 penalties Liverpool should have had beforehand though I see :)

The ref was shocking to be fair, he should have given Liverpool 2 or 3 pens and I thought the one at the end was never a penalty, almost as bad as a Scottish ref.

So some on here would not have Gerrard in their team -- with him we would challenge at the top -- yes just with him in our current team -- he is simply the best midfield player in the world at this time -- the jealousy of some on here is amazing.

If you want to see a cheat -- look at Ronaldo -- the biggest diver and moaner in the English game ably supported by a moaning two faced manager.

I hear you're in for Heskey in January. ;)

So some on here would not have Gerrard in their team -- with him we would challenge at the top -- yes just with him in our current team -- he is simply the best midfield player in the world at this time -- the jealousy of some on here is amazing.

If you want to see a cheat -- look at Ronaldo -- the biggest diver and moaner in the English game ably supported by a moaning two faced manager.

EeeeeAwwwwwwwwww!

Thig Ar Latha
that's it

Don't think he cheated. He just tried for a ball that was 40-60, as I would expect any Hearts player to do when their losing 1-0 in time added on. A definate foul, against the Liverpool player. Linesman and ref both at fault and it was never a penalty, that was'nt the Liverpool players fault though. He dived into the challengage, but did'nt dive under no presure.

King of the North

doubt you'll find one person here who has said they wouldn't have him in our team.

Ronaldo is an easy target - he actually dives less than Gerrard, but somehow St. Stevie is able to get away with it. Along with Michael Owen, one of the biggest cheats in the prem, yet because he is not a foreigner he gets no stick.

You don't like Man U I take it?

doubt you'll find one person here who has said they wouldn't have him in our team.

Ronaldo is an easy target - he actually dives less than Gerrard, but somehow St. Stevie is able to get away with it. Along with Michael Owen, one of the biggest cheats in the prem, yet because he is not a foreigner he gets no stick.

You don't like Man U I take it?

You must be joking (dives less than Gerrard !) -- Ronaldo is the number 1 cheat -- he dives every week, rolls about like he has been chopped in half, tries to get players booked and sits on the ground like a spoilt child if he doesn't get his own way.

On the upside he is a great football player --- but not much of a person in my book.

As for ................. yes you are right they are almost as bad as Hibs in my book.

You must be joking (dives less than Gerrard !) -- Ronaldo is the number 1 cheat -- he dives every week, rolls about like he has been chopped in half, tries to get players booked and sits on the ground like a spoilt child if he doesn't get his own way.

On the upside he is a great football player --- but not much of a person in my book.

As for ................. yes you are right they are almost as bad as Hibs in my book.

The more I read, the more I'm convinced you're in the wrong thread! Either that or been sooking some cactus!

Guest juvehearts

I thought it was a foul

if it was outside of the box it would have been a free kick.

it was in the box so its a penalty.

a lot of bad refereeing decision's in tonights match & would love to see the video evidance allowed in the game espechically at these matches, would have only taken 30 secs for the 4th official to award l'pool 2 corners they never got plus look again at the penalty decision.

checks & ballances & no matter what contact was made, their was NO NEED for the defender to go in like that to gerrard as he was going away from goal & brought it on himself.

doesnt change anything still2 games to go & they both will qualify.

jambos are go!

Truly embarassing decision by incompetent officials. It speaks volumes that Gerrad thought it was worth trying such a dive. Football should weep.

chester copperpot

There was defo contact, however no way in a milion years that it was a penalty.

Liverpool should've had 2 pen's, Athletico should've had 1.

Doesn't make any of the decisions right though.

Truly embarassing decision by incompetent officials. It speaks volumes that Gerrad thought it was worth trying such a dive. Football should weep.

Eh?!

Football should weep?

WEEP?!

C'mon man. Reality check needed.

Gerrard is one of the best in the business and it's players like him that make the sport so special.

There was contact. FACT.

Made the most of it, but there you go ... that's football.

Gerrard's been doing it for years, for Liverpool and England. He dives more often than Ronaldo, just doesn't roll about as much. I think probably his worst one ever was when he took a blatant dive against Hungary in a friendly for England in a game they were cruising in anyway. Good player, cheat.

Incidentally, the ref gave one of the worst yellow cards of all time today when he booked Aguero for kicking the ball over the bar from the kick-off. I'd love to see him justify that one, as not only was the ball played forward, but the rules were changed a few years back to allow you to score from a restart. It couldn't have been for time wasting anyway as the game hadn't restarted.

Whilst Gerrard has done some shockers, that certainly wasn't the worst !

He was going nowhere mind and the Atletico guy was just daft to launch himself at SG in those circumstances.

However SG was quite cute in the after match interview, keeping it low key and saying "well if it's outside the box it's a foul"

By the same token you might argue Pereras ( sp ) handball was a pen but IMO the ball hit him on the wrist on it's way OUT of danger and there wasn't a Liverpool player around that could claim to be disadvantaged ?

markletissier

never a penalty, i don't know what the linesman saw. what i saw was steven gerrard run jump into the air and fall onto pernia, nothing more.

poor decision which could cost atletico dearly and of course save the luckiest team in professional football.

Better call Saul
never a penalty, i don't know what the linesman saw. what i saw was steven gerrard run jump into the air and fall onto pernia, nothing more.

poor decision which could cost atletico dearly and of course save the luckiest team in professional football.

any footage

jambos are go!
Eh?!

Football should weep?

WEEP?!

C'mon man. Reality check needed.

Gerrard is one of the best in the business and it's players like him that make the sport so special.

There was contact. FACT.

Made the most of it, but there you go ... that's football.

There was indeed contact - on the Athletico man by Gerrard. Without a level playing field (if you pardon the pun) the beautiful Game is increasingly reduced to WWE standards. Gerrards ability is of no consequence in a shocking injustice that is very,very sad.

Don't think he cheated. He just tried for a ball that was 40-60, as I would expect any Hearts player to do when their losing 1-0 in time added on. A definate foul, against the Liverpool player. Linesman and ref both at fault and it was never a penalty, that was'nt the Liverpool players fault though. He dived into the challengage, but did'nt dive under no presure.

I would also add that he didn't appeal for the penalty, he just sat on the turf while the linesman and ref made a horrendous decision.

So IMO, not a dive so not a cheat, just dreadful refereeing.

I hear you're in for Heskey in January. ;)

I know. Strange one that.

Seymour M Hersh

Gerrard has had his "moments" of that there is no doubt, however, last night was not one of them. The TV views I had (from every angle supplied by ITV) was a player sprinting across the box in the direction of the corner flag. Jumping to head the ball to retain possession and possibly get a telling cross in and the Madrid player not really needing to challenge but stay close to Gerrard being slightly late and bumping Gerrard in the back. Gerrard is in the air and I defy anyone to land in complete balance even after a slight contact. No doubt it was fairly soft but would the officials have awarded a foul outside the box? Probably.

Dusk_Till_Dawn
I would also add that he didn't appeal for the penalty, he just sat on the turf while the linesman and ref made a horrendous decision.

So IMO, not a dive so not a cheat, just dreadful refereeing.

That's an accurate summary, but nevertheless:

Burn the witch

jambos are go!
Gerrard has had his "moments" of that there is no doubt, however, last night was not one of them. The TV views I had (from every angle supplied by ITV) was a player sprinting across the box in the direction of the corner flag. Jumping to head the ball to retain possession and possibly get a telling cross in and the Madrid player not really needing to challenge but stay close to Gerrard being slightly late and bumping Gerrard in the back. Gerrard is in the air and I defy anyone to land in complete balance even after a slight contact. No doubt it was fairly soft but would the officials have awarded a foul outside the box? Probably.

There are none so blind as those who will not see.

Archived