Celtic IRa chants on Sunday/Spratt complaint (merged threads)

tedp6873

SPL MUST NOT IGNORE PRO-IRA CHANTING: SPRATT

South Belfast DUP MLA Jimmy Spratt has called on the Scottish Premier League to take swift and decisive action against Celtic Football Club after sections of their support engaged in a series of pro-IRA chants during their recent game versus Hearts. After writing to the SPL outlining the need for action, Mr Spratt said:

"For several months Celtic Football Club has been extremely vocal in their condemnation of certain chants coming from supporters of other clubs. After listening to repeated instances of pro-IRA chanting in the course of their televised game against Hearts, their subsequent silence about the disgraceful conduct of their own supporters has been deafening.

Such glorification of terrorism has no place within sport and must be condemned outright. The Scottish Premier League must intervene and take decisive action in order to bring such chanting to an end. I would further call on the Chairman of Celtic Football Club, John Reid, to condemn those responsible and outline what measures the club intends to take to eradicate such naked sectarianism. As a former Secretary of State for Northern Ireland, he will be acutely aware of the murderous, barbarous campaign of the IRA which brought bloodshed to the streets of Northern Ireland, and indeed across the United Kingdom.

Until Celtic Football Club can get its own club in order, dictation to other clubs and supporters will be viewed as sheer temerity."

Says it all for me.

It wasn't that exciting?

yeah but for them to start the Rule out bigotry etc the OF fans are probably the worst at it.

yeah but for them to start the Rule out bigotry etc the OF fans are probably the worst at it.

No, I mean...oh you'll get it.

Francis Albert

It is as valid as Eire politicians joining in the fuss about the famine song. I think I am as anti-racism and anti-sectarian as anyone but having seen once again the huge Eire flags and heard the familiar pro-IRA songs on Sunday, I have to say that "the famine is over, why don't you go home?" doesn't seem an entirely unreasonable response, and certainly doesn't deserve the outrage it has produced. People threatened with being arrested for it? As an exile in England for over thirty years I would not object to a similar sentiment if I paraded my Scottish nationalism at every opportunity and sang "Men of Knoydart" and continually protested about the Highland Clearances

Celtic FC asked to solve their terrorism problem

A member of the Northern Ireland Assembly has called for Celtic to solve it?s terrorism problem following disgusting scenes at Tynecastle last Sunday where the visiting fans sang the praises of the IRA.Jimmy Spratt, the Democratic Unionist MLA (Member of the Legislative Assembly) for South Belfast strongly condemned the Celtic fans responsible for the filthy chants and called on Celtic Chairman John Reid to root out the problem.Horrified Hearts fans and television viewers across the world were subjected to horrific songs and chants in support of IRA murder gangs from 3 minutes into the game - amongst the filthy ditties were the Boys Of The Old Brigade; Roll Of Honour (about the 1981 H-Block suicides) and Oo Ah Up The Ra.Mr Spratt had over 30 year of police service in the Royal Ulster Constabulary before entering public life and has seen the effects of terrorism at first hand. He was also Chairman of the Northern Ireland Police Federation.

Another part of the article not saying the songs the hearts fans were singing are ok but they sung from the first min to the last (according to the paper) as i left on 20 mins.

Is this the same guy that was thrown out of Stormont for claiming that Gerry Adams organised IRA snatch-squads the other day there ?

Colonel Kurtz

A complaint has been sent to the SPL from a Unionist MP called Spratt and calling for Dr John (the night tripper) Reid who has been vocal recently to condemn ths songs given his previous political role.

I'll not be holding my breath for the SPL to take any 'real' action against the OF for their biggoted chanting.

Irish complain about Rangers.

Unionists complain about Celtic.

Nothing will change.

Vice Versa might make some waves...

what has been the response of the OF clubs while their fans engage in their respective behaviour?

well as ever, celtic have pointed an accusing finger at rangers.... and rangers? well SDM has tried to haul the dundee clubs into the sewer with his club.

the OF clubs pay lip service whenever necessary about eradicating bigotry and anti-social behaviour.... but ONLY when necessary, and only go as far as they are forced to go to satisfy the SFA and the media mood of the time.

they simply wont take unilateral and unsolicited action against their bigots, racists and glorifiers of terrorist acts.... they will only continue to perform reactive lip service to a minimum degree.

it's well overdue now for others to take this issue out of their hands. start docking points, start closing stands, start closing stadiums, start issuing european bans. these of course are measures that could be taken by the SFA... therefore they will never happen. to that end, the likes of the scottish government and higher football authorities have to do the SFA's job for them.

Irish complain about Rangers.

Unionists complain about Celtic.

Nothing will change.

Vice Versa might make some waves...

Correct

The complaint might as well have been sent in by Johnny 'Mad Dog Adair'

SPL, SFA, Scottish Parliament should respond to any complaints from Republican politicians; Unionist Politicians; Cardinal Keith O'Brien; Irish diplomats with a response of

'Consigned to bin until you can come up with route map agreed by both sides to eradicate the problem'

If I was in charge, I might be even more petty.

'Any chance of the approval of planning permission for 2 60,000 seater stadia in your part of the world. 1 in the Shankhill for Rangers, 1 in the Falls for Celtic.

Not a thing will happen. It will be swept under the carpet as it always is. They've been singing those songs for as long as I can remember, and always will as they get away with it.

Sorry but I do not want hearts to be used as some Pawn in this game.

Rangers and Celtic are as bad as each other and this is just the latest line in the game playing, I dont want hearts dragged into it.

Sorry but I do not want hearts to be used as some Pawn in this game.

Rangers and Celtic are as bad as each other and this is just the latest line in the game playing, I dont want hearts dragged into it.

how are hearts being dragged into it?

how are hearts being dragged into it?

There using our game as the amunition, before long the Celtic PR team will be involved and it wont be about the pro IRA songs but instead hearts failure to control ticket sales, our fans sectarian singing etc etc.

Celtic will crucify us here and I would rather if some Irish MP wants to make a war he uses someone else as the cause.

husref musemic
A complaint has been sent to the SPL from a Unionist MP called Spratt and calling for Dr John (the night tripper) Reid who has been vocal recently to condemn ths songs given his previous political role.

Good point CK, we all await the good doctors condemnation seeing he was there (I assume). After all we could hear it and it's cristal on the telly.

Colonel Kurtz

I was slagging a Tim on Sunday night about 3000 fat Tims singing "Roll Of Honour" which is about the hunger strikers.

Obviosly the Weedgie version is "bacon Roll of Honour"

There using our game as the amunition, before long the Celtic PR team will be involved and it wont be about the pro IRA songs but instead hearts failure to control ticket sales, our fans sectarian singing etc etc.

Celtic will crucify us here and I would rather if some Irish MP wants to make a war he uses someone else as the cause.

hmm? a bit of a tenuous link to hearts really. hearts can argue that the ticketing arrangements were changed as a result of celtic attempting to impose their protection racket 5% levy.

this kind if thing is just the excuse we need to ban them all from tynecastle for good. if only we could sell all our seats to hearts fans. :(

Johanes de Silentio

I know this is a serious topic, but I think it would be funny if we all turned up in balaclavas next time - think that would be brushed under the carpet?

I've just sent a text to Sportsound asking them to discuss this - think they will? Not me!

I know this is a serious topic, but I think it would be funny if we all turned up in balaclavas next time - think that would be brushed under the carpet?

I've just sent a text to Sportsound asking them to discuss this - think they will? Not me!

What about a flute band playing the Hearts song at half time? I'm sure that would go down well.

We'd quickly become - 'Scotland's secret shame.'

Why haven't the politicians who support Hearts i.e. Alex Salmond, George Foulkes, David McLetchie et al brought this to Dr Reid's attention? Surely if they pointed out his bias it would carry more weight than that of the DUP chap.

I couldn't get over them applauding the Red Card Against Racism (and sectarianism) display and then 5 minutes later they were chanting OOh Ah up the RA.

Absolute **** the lot of them

Or maybe we could do a big card display in the Wheatfield stand, you know the one where everyone holds up a card and they create a big image. Was thinking something along the lines of this ...... :whistling::tongue:

sas_badge.gif

Is it wrong that I wish ireland (north, nouth, whatever)was at least 5,000 miles further south or something?

A serious blight on the British landscape that should be used for housing prisoners and Big Brother contestants.

"They sang something naughty....whine whine...."

"But they sang ruder songs than us....whinge whinge...."

"Yeah but no but.....boo hoo....."

"You started it........weep weep whine.."

FECKING GROW UP YOU MORONS!!!!!

Apologies to all the irish reading this but i'm sick fed up with that pashy wee nation's inability to sort themselves out and i hate their ridiculous influence on our culture.

In my humble opinion, of course.

aaaaaaanyway, back to the discussion in hand......

Or maybe we could do a big card display in the Wheatfield stand, you know the one where everyone holds up a card and they create a big image. Was thinking something along the lines of this ...... :whistling::tongue:

Along with that one, we could have one for the main stand and one for the Gorgie stand...

Cap%20Badge%20of%20the%20Parachute%20Regiment.jpgInt_corps_badge_6cm.jpg

Along with that one, we could have one for the main stand and one for the Gorgie stand...

Cap%20Badge%20of%20the%20Parachute%20Regiment.jpgInt_corps_badge_6cm.jpg

Haha

Do you think we'd be pushing it to get this added to the Wheatfield banner?? :P

18gibraltar.span583.jpg

Surely there are people sitting in the first few rows of the old stand or the Wheatfield who are willing to use camera phones to record some evidence... ?

Then they could submit it to the club / cops / youtube etc to demonstrate how the worlds "greatest" fans act ?

In my eyes, there is no room for Union Jack waving / Irish flags and chants about some war that 99.9% of folk have nothing to do with.

Folk who sing "billy boys" can get tae funk n aw. you are frankly as bad as the Irish wannabe pro IRA filth from Glasgow.

Do us all a favour and don't come back to Tynecastle!

I'd be more than happy to see several of our fans binned for sectarianism to lead the way in promoting Scottishness rather than be tarnished with the same brush of those who want to hang on the coat tails of some West Coast Apron Wearing, flute playing, narrow minded, unintelligent numbskulls.

So... now I have got that off my chest in summary:

Blue / Green Biggots - GTF.

Maroon Biggots - GTF

Whilst I get yer having a laugh chief - we'd be much better to do something along the lines of "This is Anfield"...

More like "We Are Hearts, We are for Scotland"

Hopefully the Hearts PR Machine see are paying attention... if so the "We are Hearts" slogan..... That's copyright to me :cool:

Snake Plissken
Is it wrong that I wish ireland (north, nouth, whatever)was at least 5,000 miles further south or something?

A serious blight on the British landscape that should be used for housing prisoners and Big Brother contestants.

"They sang something naughty....whine whine...."

"But they sang ruder songs than us....whinge whinge...."

"Yeah but no but.....boo hoo....."

"You started it........weep weep whine.."

FECKING GROW UP YOU MORONS!!!!!

Apologies to all the irish reading this but i'm sick fed up with that pashy wee nation's inability to sort themselves out and i hate their ridiculous influence on our culture.

In my humble opinion, of course.

aaaaaaanyway, back to the discussion in hand......

Fair point.

I pretty much agree with that.

Archived