Championship v SPL

cosanostra

How do the Championship and the SPL compare?

Have to say, I think the Championship is vastly over-rated. I think it's little more than SPL with money. Rangers and Celtic would destroy any team in that league.

During the last 2 weeks i've seen Birmingham City, Coventry, Cardiff City, Notts Forrest, Wolves, Reading, Sheff Utd and Sheff Wed.

The only team that played well and looked even half decent was Reading, the rest of them played poorly and were nothing special.

In terms of players, practically all of those teams have many better players than us and the 9 other non-OF teams but the standard of football is awful and the amounts paid for some of these guys seems to be way, way over the top.

Basically, Championship = SPL with more money, more teams and similar football.

Its an interesting one.

I know pre season friendlys dont mean much but this year QPR were beaten by both Falkirk and Kilmarnock. QPR were meant to be the big challengers this year as well.

Blackpool were also beaten by Falkirk comfortably at home and i am sure there was another team also.

So yeah i think you are spot on - the championship standard is not that great, certainly poorer than it was 5 years ago before the mega ITV cash dried up.

Its amazing the amount of money they pay for players in the championship too. There's alot of good players but the ?2-5M guys rarely look like world beaters when they play in the Prem.

I'd agree its overrated, but then it has more money, more supporters. Comparing Killie to someone like Wolves is like comparing Maggie Thatcher to wee Kylie Minogue is shaggability terms (or two other very different things - ladies may wish to replace with John Prescott and Johnny Depp)

Have to say, I think the Championship is vastly over-rated. I think it's little more than SPL with money. Rangers and Celtic would destroy any team in that league.

During the last 2 weeks i've seen Birmingham City, Coventry, Cardiff City, Notts Forrest, Wolves, Reading, Sheff Utd and Sheff Wed.

The only team that played well and looked even half decent was Reading, the rest of them played poorly and were nothing special.

In terms of players, practically all of those teams have many better players than us and the 9 other non-OF teams but the standard of football is awful and the amounts paid for some of these guys seems to be way, way over the top.

Sums it up perfectly - I've been to a few Championship games over the past few years, and I don't think the standard of football on offer in any of the matches I've seen was really any better than the SPL.

Charlie-Brown

Most SPL players aren't good enough to play in the Premiership or for the Old Firm, most of the average to better SPL players have been moving to the Championship in a fairly steady stream.

[/b]

Sums it up perfectly - I've been to a few Championship games over the past few years, and I don't think the standard of football on offer in any of the matches I've seen was really any better than the SPL.

Id say the same about the premiership. Outwith the top few, its a mediocre league, especially when you take into account the money spent. Been to a few games in the last few years and was disappointed to be honest. Other than Man U Liverpool which was immense!!

Carl Weathers

If I was to compare Scottish teams with English it would be something like:

Rangers & Celtic = premier league.

Hearts, Hibs, Aberdeen, Dundee Utd = championship

The rest = league 1 or 2.

Can anyone think of any players who have been signed from the Championship that are doing well in the Prem?

Theo Walcott I suppose.

Who else?

Can anyone think of any players who have been signed from the Championship that are doing well in the Prem?

Theo Walcott I suppose.

Who else?

Darren Bent

Darren Bent

He played in the prem with Charlton and was only sold when they were relegated so I don't think he really played in the Championship.

Theo Walcott I suppose.

Who else?

In recent times:

Gareth Bale

Ashley Young

Phil Jagielka

Curtis Davis

Zoltan Gera

Kenwyne Jones

Joleon Lescott

Nicky Shorey

If you go back further there is a lot more.

If I was to compare Scottish teams with English it would be something like:

Rangers & Celtic = premier league.

Hearts, Hibs, Aberdeen, Dundee Utd = championship

The rest = league 1 or 2.

I'd agree with that.

He played in the prem with Charlton and was only sold when they were relegated so I don't think he really played in the Championship.

True man. But he went to the Charlton from Ipswich Town for a few million and has hacked it in the premiership.

Apart from the two metioned though, not many players have been able to cut the mustard at the top level.

Huge gulf in class form the Championship to the Premiership now. It is now quite rare to see succesful signings from the lower leagues these days.

In recent times:

Gareth Bale

Ashley Young

Phil Jagielka

Curtis Davis

Zoltan Gera

Kenwyne Jones

Joleon Lescott

Nicky Shorey

If you go back further there is a lot more.

I'd agree with that.

Every time i've seen Bale play in the premiership he's been terrible.

The others are all fair enough.

Think you have pretty much summed it up yourself my friend. What I would say though is that there are slightly better strikers down their in my book. Players like Beattie, Ebanks-blake, Doyle, Hulse, Earnshaw and Lita are all better strikers than the majority of SPL teams have at their disposal. When the SPL does produce a decent striker though, they seem to be able to score goals down their ala Mckormack, O'Conner and Kenny Miller before them.

That's probably true.

Watching Brum City v Coventry right now and Clinton Morrison, James McFadden, Cameron Jerome and Michael Mifsud are all way better than most SPL strikers.

McFadden has been the best player on the park by miles and he was hardly a massive success in the prem. Birmingham have been terrible and McLeish just hasn't had a clue how to get them playing.

Jam Tarts 1874

The Championship is all kick and rush. The standard of defending is pathetic. Just in case you have all already forgotten, Hearts easily defeated one of the promoted sides who are now riding high in the Premiership pre-season.

Just because there are big crowds and big wages doesn't make it any good!

Archived