Edinburgh........

peckhamjambo

...I am coming up for the Celtic game, but arriving in Edinburgh on Friday for a couple of nights out in the town before hand! I have two questions that I would be very grateful if someone could answer:

1. I am staying on the Royal Mile and driving up, where can I park or would it be better to use somewhere like Newcraighall park and ride? I would probably prefer to stay out of the the town so any advice on safety/costs/etc for leaving the car for 3 nights at the park and ride would help

2. Where are the best clubs/bars etc to go on Friday and Saturday night? Looking for some places slightly more 'upmarket' shall we say!!

Cheers in advance for any help

Leaving car overnight at Newcraighall might be dodgy.What about new bus park and ride at Sheriffhall which has loads of cameras.There is of course a NCP car park at Holyrood dont know if overnights allowed tho

Leaving car overnight at Newcraighall might be dodgy.What about new bus park and ride at Sheriffhall which has loads of cameras.There is of course a NCP car park at Holyrood dont know if overnights allowed tho

Nice one, thanks for the info. How dodgy is 'dodgy' by the way?!

I pass Newcraighall car park most nights and there are virtually no cars overnight so an isolated car may be a target thats all(There may be cameras tho)Hopefully some kind KBer will offer you parking at or near their homes!

...I am coming up for the Celtic game, but arriving in Edinburgh on Friday for a couple of nights out in the town before hand! I have two questions that I would be very grateful if someone could answer:

1. I am staying on the Royal Mile and driving up, where can I park or would it be better to use somewhere like Newcraighall park and ride? I would probably prefer to stay out of the the town so any advice on safety/costs/etc for leaving the car for 3 nights at the park and ride would help

2. Where are the best clubs/bars etc to go on Friday and Saturday night? Looking for some places slightly more 'upmarket' shall we say!!

Cheers in advance for any help

Remember that if you arrive Friday night and leave on Sunday, parking regulations wont be in force.

So you could probably leave the car in a street near where you are staying.

Remember that if you arrive Friday night and leave on Sunday, parking regulations wont be in force.

Not a bad shout that Cigaro, although I am staying on the Royal Mile and apprently there are not many options round there? Also, I am heading off on Monday so might be a problem - should have gotten the ****** train! Just found out that the Park and Rides are not 24 hours? so that wouldn't be an option accordingly to Lothian buses who run the schemes?

Anyone got any ideas on clubs and bars?

They will on the Saturday though

If you want to go somewhere "upmarket" then George St is your best (only) bet.

Upmarket probably George Street. Expensive though.

At least if your at the Mile then you are within walking distance to anywhere. Chambers Street maybe? Youcould alway but a ticket for the time outwith the non regulation times. Probably still be cheaper than 3 days in a muti storey. Or leave it in a street til Sunday night, and move it to the likes of Castle Terrace or St James' Centre car parks until you leave.

Not a bad shout that Cigaro, although I am staying on the Royal Mile and apprently there are not many options round there? Also, I am heading off on Monday so might be a problem - should have gotten the ****** train! Just found out that the Park and Rides are not 24 hours? so that wouldn't be an option accordingly to Lothian buses who run the schemes?

try monteiths on the royal mile. its in between two kilts shops down an alley opp the museum of childhood the alley is all lit up with fairy lights. very nice food and excellent cocktails. also try the voodoo rooms beheind the burger kings opp the balmoral hotel on princes street. both are very nice place to drink.

Thanks for all the advice guys, much appreciated. Think I might just bite the bullet and see what's available when I get there. If it has to be a multi storey then there are 3 of us splitting the cost so might not be too bad.

As for drinks, thanks again for all the tips, think I will have to try them all!

Thanks again

Robbo's on Gorgie Road is quite upmarket and has an extensive selection of cocktails.

The locals are also very friendly and there's a nice traditional feel to the place. Seating can be an issue but the area around the pool table can be frequented on match day.

The food is also very nice. I had the smoked salmon last time that I was in there. Can't be far from a Michelin star now.

The food is also very nice. I had the smoked salmon last time that I was in there. Can't be far from a Michelin star now.

Sounds great, that's not the one on Gorgie Road that I was drinking in before the ICT match is it??!! The one with the dubious white powder on the toilet cisterns - allegedly?!:eek: (I will be in there on Sunday though, rest assured!!)

Jesus, I don't know Edinburgh too well but I am not a total ******!! ;)

Sounds great, that's not the one on Gorgie Road that I was drinking in before the ICT match is it??!! The one with the dubious white powder on the toilet cisterns - allegedly?!:eek: (I will be in there on Sunday though, rest assured!!)

Jesus, I don't know Edinburgh too well but I am not a total ******!! ;)

Sounds about right :rolleyes: cleanest bogs in the burgh!!!

The NCP car park near Holyrood would be best bet for parking. I stayed at a hotel just off the Royal Mile last year and left my car down at that car park, can't remember the cost but dont think too much.

The NCP car park near Holyrood would be best bet for parking. I stayed at a hotel just off the Royal Mile last year and left my car down at that car park, can't remember the cost but dont think too much.

Cheers Yvonne, appreciate the advice. Think that was pretty much the one I had decided on. So Holyrood for parking, Montieths, Voodoo Rooms and George Street for drinks - just need a jambo win on Sunday and sounds like a pretty solid weekend :cool:

i'm also coming over for the weekend, but i'm flying to Prestwick for the cheap flights!! I thought i would spend Sat night in Glasgow and Sunday in Edinburgh. Any Glasgow based Jambos know of anything going on for Halloween on Saturday night? Also what would be the best bars/clubs in Edinburgh on a Sunday night?

newcraighall is quiet at nights as most people use it for work during the day. your car will be fine there..there are cameras plus you wont have to pay to leave it there;)

The Radisson hotel has a multi storey thats bang in the middle of the royal mile and can be used by the public and it gets locked up at night.

Quite pricey but if your splitting the charge, would probably be your best

bet, security and convenience wise.

http://www.radissonsas.com/cs/Satellite/Page/RadissonSAS/Page/rsasHotelArticle/1067592272837/en/hotelCode--ediza/

Guest S.U.S.S.
Your a bad man :laugh:

I know. :)

And i like it.... :)

Still, my bet is he will bump into at least one 6ft 5" kickbacker around there.

The bars and pubs surrounding the Playhouse theatre may well suit you.

And your basing your assumptions on my sexuality on what - pri*k?

The Radisson hotel has a multi storey thats bang in the middle of the royal mile and can be used by the public and it gets locked up at night.

Quite pricey but if your splitting the charge, would probably be your best

bet, security and convenience wise.

http://www.radissonsas.com/cs/Satellite/Page/RadissonSAS/Page/rsasHotelArticle/1067592272837/en/hotelCode--ediza/

Dix, really appreciate your advice. Think I will simply arrive on Friday and scout about near the Royal Mile area and will probably come down to either Holyrood or the Radisson. Not too worried about money as long as it isn't going to cost hundreds over the weekend (Friday to Monday morning)!

Thanks again

Nobody mentioned sexuality until you did, touchy subject:107years:

Nobody mentioned sexuality until you did, touchy subject:107years:

Look, I have had lots of very helpful posts and personal messages from people willing to offer me some advice on what to do, where to park etc, as per my original post. However, I didn't find it particularly funny, or helpful, someone suggesting I go out for drinks around the well known gay area of Edinburgh!

Incidentally, what's YOUR connection to S.U.S.S??!! Bet he loves having his b*tch answer for him??!:hobofish:

Look, I have had lots of very helpful posts and personal messages from people willing to offer me some advice on what to do, where to park etc, as per my original post. However, I didn't find it particularly funny, or helpful, someone suggesting I go out for drinks around the well known gay area of Edinburgh!

Incidentally, what's YOUR connection to S.U.S.S??!! Bet he loves having his b*tch answer for him??!:hobofish:

Oh my word, a keyboard warrior from the mean streets of London:eek: Grow up.

Oh my word, a keyboard warrior from the mean streets of London:eek: Grow up.

Not at all! ;)

Cryptic and hard, I'm ****ting it here.

What's cryptic about, 'Not at all'? Are you retarded?!

Speedbump: 'you're a keyboard warrior'

Peckhamjambo: 'not at all'

Sppedbump: 'from the mean streets of London'

Seems very clear to me? If you are wondering about the wink smiley at the end, that was thrown in there to soften the atmosphere a little. I am not interested in getting into slagging matches over an internet forum with 'faceless' individuals. All I wanted to do was generate some advice for the questions I posted originally.

Incidentally, thanks to all who responded positively and sent me PM's, very much appreciated :fing10:

What's cryptic about, 'Not at all'? Are you retarded?!

Speedbump: 'you're a keyboard warrior'

Sppedbump: 'from the mean streets of London'

Seems very clear to me? If you are wondering about the wink smiley at the end, that was thrown in there to soften the atmosphere a little. I am not interested in getting into slagging matches over an internet forum with 'faceless' individuals. All I wanted to do was generate some advice for the questions I posted originally.

Incidentally, thanks to all who responded positively and sent me PM's, very much appreciated :fing10:

Going about that in the correct manner then.

Speedbump do you come on this messageboard purely to wind people up, he was asking a valid question and you try and be a smart arse by mentioing that certain area. Fair enough if you were mildly amusing in winding people up but the fact is your not

Speedbump do you come on this messageboard purely to wind people up, he was asking a valid question and you try and be a smart arse by mentioing that certain area. Fair enough if you were mildly amusing in winding people up but the fact is your not

I think you need to go have a re read of the thread;)

Gavsy Van Gaverson

Well you know something Mene Gene..................

:P

I think you need to go have a re read of the thread;)

Ahem..................Ahem

Well you know something Mene Gene..................

:P

:bravo:

Mods, any chance of closing this thread down now?

I have got loads of info from various sensible members on here and am very grateful for the advice that they have given so no need to continue this. Seems to be just degenerating into a war of words!

Thanks!

Mods, any chance of closing this thread down now?

I have got loads of info from various sensible members on here and am very grateful for the advice that they have given so no need to continue this. Seems to be just degenerating into a war of words!

Thanks!

I'd better not;) ;)

I'd better not;) ;)

No please dont im sure your reply would be some witty putdown that would have everyone rolling on the ground in stitches :)

I can't understand this thread. Whats the problem if the guy is Gay? He just wants to come up for a weekend and I don't give a hoot if he wants to hang around the Playhouse area. Give him a break and stop being so homophobic.

No please dont im sure your reply would be some witty putdown that would have everyone rolling on the ground in stitches :)

What's your beef? And BTW did you re read the thread and properly notice my conribution?

You crazy Hulkamanic.

I can't understand this thread. Whats the problem if the guy is Gay? He just wants to come up for a weekend and I don't give a hoot if he wants to hang around the Playhouse area. Give him a break and stop being so homophobic.

:4_1_72:

Of course there would be no problem, but I'm not!!! Jeez, have to say this thread has taken a slightly unwanted and unexpected tangent!

:4_1_72:

Of course there would be no problem, but I'm not!!! Jeez, have to say this thread has taken a slightly unwanted and unexpected tangent!

m8 just shrug it off. I get really angry at folk, Jambos or not, who have a go at you because of your sexuality. He is probably just jealous because you lot have much better dress sense or something. Live and let live, thats what I say.

m8 just shrug it off. I get really angry at folk, Jambos or not, who have a go at you because of your sexuality. He is probably just jealous because you lot have much better dress sense or something. Live and let live, thats what I say.

:sobored:

Guest S.U.S.S.

Wow, how serious do you take yourself?

Very sorry for having a laugh, my guess is your a taker.

No need to abuse others and if you plan to, at least be man enough not to * it out.

Archived