Casual Bands

Boris

Most fashion scenes had a musical element to them, Mods, Rockers, Punks, Goths, Skins etc etc however were there any "casual" bands?

I don't mean bands that casuals liked e.g. Pet Shop Boys just because of Paninaro, but bands in the early/mid 80's that formed as part of the terrace culture that was/is "casuals".

If so, what were they like? I'm struggling to think of any, but I have a hazy recollection of one but I can't remember their name!

Any takers or explanations of why there weren't any?

I've thought about this often. Most youth culture movements centred around music and the style and clothing came from that.

For casuals it seems that it was centred around fashion and violence and that any music associated with it came after. The only thing I would say is that towards the end of the casual movement of the 80's guys who had been involved in the violence got into the rave culture thing, dropping Es and loving everyone instead of introducing them to Stanley! Then you've the DJ sets and hard core rave tunes, along with the MadChester scene of the second summer of love, which which might have been '88 or '89.

I think I missed it.

I've thought about this often. Most youth culture movements centred around music and the style and clothing came from that.

For casuals it seems that it was centred around fashion and violence and that any music associated with it came after. The only thing I would say is that towards the end of the casual movement of the 80's guys who had been involved in the violence got into the rave culture thing, dropping Es and loving everyone instead of introducing them to Stanley! Then you've the DJ sets and hard core rave tunes, along with the MadChester scene of the second summer of love, which which might have been '88 or '89.

I think I missed it.

Paulo Hewitt's book The Soul Stylists isn't a bad read and it basically suggests that casuals were the natural evolution of Mods. BUt I do find it surprising that no casuals thought of or wanted to form bands.

I appreciate the whole Madchester/Rave thing but again that was there anyway, and not because of casuals.

that brand of casual got into the pills and thrills during the late eighties and discovered dance music, thats when the firms started getting smaller, people were more into being loved up than going for a scrap, although their was an element of getting of yer nut on a Friday then kicking of on a Saturday, before that i'm not sure it was not based on a clubs or pubs it was street fighting, the sense of bellonging was more related to your team rather than a scene like the mods and rockers.

Bridewell Taxis were Leeds boys allegedly.

Pet Shop Boys or the keyboard player was a well known "dresser" and they recorded Paninaro in tribute to the Italian Mobs.

Reni from the Stone Roses was a well known face on the Stretford End.

Pet Shop Boys or the keyboard player was a well known "dresser" and they recorded Paninaro in tribute to the Italian Mobs.

IIRC, a Bridewell Taxi was Leeds slang for getting lifted.

I think the main police station, either city centre or nearest the ground, was called Bridewell.

Most fashion scenes had a musical element to them, Mods, Rockers, Punks, Goths, Skins etc etc however were there any "casual" bands?

I don't mean bands that casuals liked e.g. Pet Shop Boys just because of Paninaro, but bands in the early/mid 80's that formed as part of the terrace culture that was/is "casuals".

If so, what were they like? I'm struggling to think of any, but I have a hazy recollection of one but I can't remember their name!

Any takers or explanations of why there weren't any?

They were maybe a couple of years before the casual scene really took off but what about the Cockney Rebels?

Nephilim Scotty

Bridewell Taxi's.

Pet Shop Boys.

New Order.

Simple Minds.............and believe it or not The Wedding Present were the band Casuals I knew were into.

Thanks for the replies but I wasn't asking which bands casuals liked, more as there was a casual scene did any bands form that were casuals? Was there a casual "sound", as such?

Mani was reputed to have been involved in the infamous riot on the cross channel ferry between the Mancs and the ICF.

Don't know about New Order, the only obvious connection i can make is Hooky being from Salford. Never heard anything to suggest they were "boys" back in the day. Not to say it's untrue mind.

The Farm are the only band from that 80's era i can think of who have openly stated their mob connections. At least Peter Hooton has.

With the football/music crossover there must have been loads of lads in bands involved over the years. Super Furry Animals and Cardiff is one i have read of.

The Twang these days seem to at least be suggesting they are Birmingham. Same with The Enemy and Coventry. Also a band called The Perry Casuals from the Midlands, not sure they support but that has it's obvious terrace connotations.

Football/Music/Clothes - it's all intertwined really.

They were maybe a couple of years before the casual scene really took off but what about the Cockney Rebels?

Cockney rejects.

West Ham followers. Superb punk rock group. Some great tracks on there greatest hits cd. "War on the Terraces" and "Flares and Slippers" to name a few.

Football/Music/Clothes - it's all intertwined really.

But is it? When the casuals exploded onto the scene in the early 80's there was no, as far as i can remember anyway, bands that emerged from this new fashion/culture.

Bridewell Taxi's.

Pet Shop Boys.

New Order.

Simple Minds.............and believe it or not The Wedding Present were the band Casuals I knew were into.

Simple Minds and casuals? you've lost me on that one...

When the casual scene was at it's height,certainly up here, Simple Minds were going through their Once Upon A Time phase with Jim Kerr wearing black leggings, white shirts and waist coats, on a world tour sponsored by Amnesty International. They had nothing to do with casuals?

it , for a change was not a music based culture , it was about the group feeling on the terraces music was F.A to do with the casual movement!

Combat 84, Chubby Chris' band of Chelsea fame(infamy);)

Now runs a famous bar in Pattaya.

it , for a change was not a music based culture , it was about the group feeling on the terraces music was F.A to do with the casual movement!

That's what I'm trying to ascertain!

I think that too, which highlights the casual phenomenon as being unique.

I wouldn't say unique Boris. Mods were unique in London - the music came later.

The Hibs casuals - who lets face it invented casuals along with the colour green and flair football were right into Ereasure - no idea why? :rolleyes:

I wouldn't say unique Boris. Mods were unique in London - the music came later.

Disagree. Mods, or Modernism, while mainly a London scene did have it's own musical scene going back to the late 1940's.

BUT

when you say the bands came later, I assume you mean The Kinks, Small Faces, Creation etc, they still came! This didn't happen in the casual scene at all. i.e. bands never adopted a style to play music to, rather the style adopted music rather eclectically (from Simple Minds to Erasure to Rave).

Disagree. Mods, or Modernism, while mainly a London scene did have it's own musical scene going back to the late 1940's.

BUT

when you say the bands came later, I assume you mean The Kinks, Small Faces, Creation etc, they still came! This didn't happen in the casual scene at all. i.e. bands never adopted a style to play music to, rather the style adopted music rather eclectically (from Simple Minds to Erasure to Rave).

Agree to disagree old fruit. Thinking of it Inspiral Carpets were well known Man City boys as well.

Maybe Paris Angels and IF IIRC.

There were lots of casuals in bands though. Paul Heaton in The Housemartins and maybe even Weller at a stage in The Style Council.

Agree to disagree old fruit. Thinking of it Inspiral Carpets were well known Man City boys as well.

Yeah, but what I mean is that the Inspiral Carpets weren't noted for being a "Casual" Band, in the same way that The Kinks were for being Mods. I may be being too subtle, I don't know.

Yeah, but what I mean is that the Inspiral Carpets weren't noted for being a "Casual" Band, in the same way that The Kinks were for being Mods. I may be being too subtle, I don't know.

I can't think of any bands that were linked to football clubs at the time the casuals were doing their thing.Maybe some latched on to bands but I don't think many bands would have openly invited the attentions of casuals.You only have to look at the Cockney reject's open support of West Ham and the mayhem that ensued because of that.Birmingham was a case in point when the zulus showed up at a rejects gig and a riot kicked off.

No,I don't think there was any real casual/music scene as such,Boris.I suppose football is a constant link to any generation and it's music/styles.

Maybe Paris Angels and IF IIRC.

There were lots of casuals in bands though. Paul Heaton in The Housemartins and maybe even Weller at a stage in The Style Council.

I wouldn't have said that either were casuals though, that was more to do with the clothes rather than the fighting.

Heaton was wearing Stone Island before it became commonplace and before that, it was the same with Weller and Lacoste.

I wouldn't have said that either were casuals though, that was more to do with the clothes rather than the fighting.

Heaton was wearing Stone Island before it became commonplace and before that, it was the same with Weller and Lacoste.

I always thought it was about the clothes though. I considered the likes of Norman Jay casuals too. The fighting was a byproduct IMO. I think Paul Heaton was into following England abroad .

I always thought it was about the clothes though. I considered the likes of Norman Jay casuals too. The fighting was a byproduct IMO. I think Paul Heaton was into following England abroad .

I also think he was a Sheffield Utd casual.Going back to the point Boris is trying to make it seems that there was no casual bands.Just bands with the odd casual in them.It seems to me that one of the 1st posters Sweeney got it spot on.

The Farm are the only band from that 80's era i can think of who have openly stated their mob connections. At least Peter Hooton has.

QUOTE]

I seem to remember the first time I ever came across the term 'casual' used in this sense was in 'The End,' a football/music fanzine connected to the Farm - it may even have been edited by members of the band. They were certainly involved in the whole clothes/football thing. This was years before they ever had any hits, when they first got played on John Peel.

QUOTE]

I seem to remember the first time I ever came across the term 'casual' used in this sense was in 'The End' date='' a football/music fanzine connected to the Farm - it may even have been edited by members of the band. They were certainly involved in the whole clothes/football thing. This was years before they ever had any hits, when they first got played on John Peel.[/quote']

Peter Hooton the singer wrote it and sold it outside the Kop on match days.

Nephilim Scotty
Simple Minds and casuals? you've lost me on that one...

When the casual scene was at it's height,certainly up here, Simple Minds were going through their Once Upon A Time phase with Jim Kerr wearing black leggings, white shirts and waist coats, on a world tour sponsored by Amnesty International. They had nothing to do with casuals?

The were casuals at the high school i went to , Hibs & Rangers, Simple Minds were the band of choice for then to listen to, I'm not saying Jim Kerr was a casual!.

Narrative Arc

Your right! a lot of the early eighties london skinhead bands like the four skins, the business and the cockney (rejects) started plying what could be seen as Casual gigs.

Not really....

Glasgow's razor gangs weren't too embraced into a particular music scene.

King of the North

Inspiral Carpets were not casuals - they were nice middle class boys from the Manchester suburbs.

Paris Angels were, Happy Mondays were just criminals. Mani and Reni were definitely 'faces' in the Stretford End.

I am sure there was an Edinburgh band made up of Hibs boys called, rather unimaginitively, The Guitar Casuals. Never had any success, but I'm sure I didn't imagine their existence.

They (and another band called Call me Clive) graffitied their name about the place, a la the Roses in Manchester). Anybody else remamber that? Or am I losing my memory...

I am sure there was an Edinburgh band made up of Hibs boys called, rather unimaginitively, The Guitar Casuals. Never had any success, but I'm sure I didn't imagine their existence.

Were they not called The Gipsy Kings.:);)

Narrative Arc
Were they not called The Gipsy Kings.:);)

They were definately called the Guitar casuals. Their name used to be sprayed on the wall outside tollcross dole office. success!! They never made a record. they weren't cauals. just failed students..

At 2:33 there's a song called "Stand your Ground" by Acarine (West Ham Hooligans). The song doens't have its own video.

• 4 months later...
thegreatpretenders
They were definately called the Guitar casuals. Their name used to be sprayed on the wall outside tollcross dole office. success!! They never made a record. they weren't cauals. just failed students..

looking at your profile pasq you're a 40 year old student...

i knew all of the guitar casuals very well and none of them were students. the whole point of them being called guitar casuals is that they were part of the casual scene but prefered smokin dope and making music to goin fighting.

and by the way, you canni spell. what the hell are you studying?

Narrative Arc
looking at your profile pasq you're a 40 year old student...

i knew all of the guitar casuals very well and none of them were students. the whole point of them being called guitar casuals is that they were part of the casual scene but prefered smokin dope and making music to goin fighting.

and by the way, you canni spell. what the hell are you studying?

Ert

Peter Hooton the singer wrote it and sold it outside the Kop on match days.

Would that be Peter Hooton the Evertonian by chance?

Adi Dassler

Would that be Peter Hooton the Evertonian by chance?

Peter Hooton is a 100% Red.

A couple of The Farm were Evertonians though.

They re-released Altogether Now as the 1995 Everton FA Cup Final song.

Inspiral Carpets were not casuals - they were nice middle class boys from the Manchester suburbs.

Paris Angels were, Happy Mondays were just criminals. Mani and Reni were definitely 'faces' in the Stretford End.

They (and another band called Call me Clive) graffitied their name about the place, a la the Roses in Manchester). Anybody else remamber that? Or am I losing my memory...

I remember that. Best band in town then were Cruyff

Archived