Is Mikey Stewart an "honest Scottish laddie"?

Geoff Kilpatrick

Geoff Kilpatrick

First off, I've not seen any highlights yet so I'm basing this, for argument's sake, on the other comments that say Langfield didn't touch him and it was a dive.

Now, leaving aside the farce of the way the decision was made, isn't it interesting how the reaction to this decision has fallen out? First off, Tango says that Stewart "doesn't dive". Er, well, perhaps he does. Therefore, by implication, the referee was "right" to consider that it was a penalty. Then there is the inference that other players of ours "dive", particularly our Lithuanian contingent. I infer from this that the suspicion, in Tango's eyes, should be that if a Lithuanian player is fouled in the box for us, the ref should suspect simulation automatically.

Now, on here, if that had been Miko, say, instead of Stewart then a lynch mob would have gathered to demand that he be "sent home" and that he was an "embarrassment". The reaction to Stewart, however, has been a lot more muted. I haven't read (and apologies if there are posts to this effect) anyone condemning him for diving.

The point is that we are applying double standards throughout Scottish football and an example like this is proof positive that is regarded as no big deal for a Scottish player to dive but woe betide any "foreigner" that does so, even more so if they are Lithuanian.

And to any hacks looking in, all we ask is that the rules are applied equally, irrespective of who is in our team.

N.B. As a case in point, remember the game last season at Pittodrie where Miko was felled for a stonewall penalty and ends up booked for diving.

Scott_HMFC1874

Fair point mate.Agree with you 100%. If Mikey did dive, I seriously doubt there would be the same reaction if it was Miko.

However,yesterday,I just dont feel that Mikey dived.

I dunno, we'll have to wait and see. None of the aberdeen players were confronting Stewart, like they have done Miko in the past, so thats whats making me think It could be one of those, where the keeper takes the ball and the player?

Personally, I find any sort of diving by any Hearts player embarrassing. Ive always got angry and annoyed at a Hearts player diving (Ramon Peirera anyone?) Its just the media ALWAYS spin it so that foreign players, with the execption of the Old Firm, are hounded and slated for it, and especially Hearts and the liths. Whereas, Scottish players get off with nothing.

Now I wouldnt care so much if EVERY player that dived was given the same treatment, Hearts, Hibs, anyone. But it just seems to be the Hearts team that get singled out everytime. And tbh, we've not helped ourselves, but there are some worse culprits in the SPL.

but they're honest scottish laddies :rolleyes:

It looked a dive and no penalty from where I was sitting. I felt that it should have been a booking for Stewart. However I felt that a few minutes after that decision Stewart was fouled in what was the worst foul of the match, result? No foul, play on.

The referee had a 'mare, not for us, not against us, he had a 'mare.

It looked a dive and no penalty from where I was sitting. I felt that it should have been a booking for Stewart. However I felt that a few minutes after that decision Stewart was fouled in what was the worst foul of the match, result? No foul, play on.

The referee had a 'mare, not for us, not against us, he had a 'mare.

Although we did say at the time it WAS a dive BH, can we be sure from our angle that no contact was made ? Only Stewart, Langfield and the punters in line with it sitting in the Gorgie Stand would know.

The ref seemed pretty sure it was a penalty from his view. The linesman would have the same view as us, albeit from the other side and a bit closer.

Hopefully the cameras will have picked it up and can verify once and for all.

Although we did say at the time it WAS a dive BH, can we be sure from our angle that no contact was made ? Only Stewart, Langfield and the punters in line with it sitting in the Gorgie Stand would know.

The ref seemed pretty sure it was a penalty from his view. The linesman would have the same view as us, albeit from the other side and a bit closer.

Hopefully the cameras will have picked it up and can verify once and for all.

i was pretty sure it was a penalty but i was sitting in the main stand...

now if it isnt a penalty then fair enough

if it was a dive fair enough, book him

but im led to believe the ref and or lineman told stewart that ther was no penalty cuz he dove. yet he didnt get a card???

i was pretty sure it was a penalty but i was sitting in the main stand...

now if it isnt a penalty then fair enough

if it was a dive fair enough, book him

but im led to believe the ref and or lineman told stewart that ther was no penalty cuz he dove. yet he didnt get a card???

Can you imagine the (justifiable) rammy there would have been if the ref had rescinded the penalty award and then also booked Stewart?

The place would have gone totally mental.

It was incredibly wet on the pitch yesterday.

It is possible that Stewart merely lost his footing.

Not saying that was the situation as was too far away to see, but it is another possibility beyond the penalty/dive/goalie hits the ball off Stewart other options.

Rudolf's Mate

I think he is an honest player however cannot comment as I didn't see it. What I will say is that in all my time playing sport I hated cheats and I never ever cheated. My take on this.... Is looking for a penalty the same as diving cheating? I shall explain: I was playing in a game in which there was no way I thought the keeper was going to take the ball and I was expecting the foul/penalty. The keeper got the ball and brushed me and I went down. I didn't dive, I was simply expecting the keeper to take me out and tried lifting my feet off the ground to limit any injury. It must have looked pretty bad as the other team weren't happy!

Needless to say I didn't do it again however I don't think it's cheating.

Geoff Kilpatrick

Perfectly plausible that Stewart lost his footing.

Again though, the point is why he gets the "benefit of the doubt". Double standards with players may be reality but it doesn't make it right.

Guest JamboRobbo
Perfectly plausible that Stewart lost his footing.

Again though, the point is why he gets the "benefit of the doubt". Double standards with players may be reality but it doesn't make it right.

Because Stewart doesn't have a past history of diving, so Calderwood will rightly say that he isn't a diver.

Equally Miko, by diving repeatedly, he's got himself a reputation for diving, so he'll be harshly done by on that front at times. He made his own bed.

I saw the incident on Satan TV last night. While there was little or no contact from Langfield, he most certainly didnt dive. It was hard for him to keep his footing after he had tried to hop over the keeper. And I would be saying that had it been anyone else in the team too.

The problem with this, is that people instantly assume that if the penalty is not awarded, Stewart must have dived and therefore should be booked. This simply isnt the case and there is scope in the rules in case players have indeed lost their footing, which happens quite a lot. The argument in this context puts the foreigner or Scottish player part irrelevant.

While I understand where the OP is coming from, I dont particularly think Stewart was given any benefit of the doubt here. I do think though, that the media and certain fans, are far too quick to say "he's foreign, so he must have dived" and "this isnt a problem for homegrown players". Its absolute nonsense to suggest that our own dont do. For example, Coisty and Robbo were "masters of winning penalties", in other words, good at conning the ref, but had that been a Velicka or another foreigner, they would be dirty cheats.

Geoff Kilpatrick
Because Stewart doesn't have a past history of diving, so Calderwood will rightly say that he isn't a diver.

Equally Miko, by diving repeatedly, he's got himself a reputation for diving, so he'll be harshly done by on that front at times. He made his own bed.

Which is exactly my point. The referee is there to apply the laws equally. By taking the player's "previous" into account, it leads to biased decision making.

Guest JamboRobbo
Which is exactly my point. The referee is there to apply the laws equally. By taking the player's "previous" into account, it leads to biased decision making.

perhaps. but it happens in every walk of life and ain't about to stop.

People with previous get an eye kept on them. Can't see that changing IMO.

Geoff Kilpatrick
perhaps. but it happens in every walk of life and ain't about to stop.

People with previous get an eye kept on them. Can't see that changing IMO.

We await the condemnation of the likes of Kris Boyd and Lee Miller then. And eyes being kept on them. :rolleyes:

Does there need to be contact for it to be a penalty? Steven Gerrard was awarded one when trying to avoid contact with a player, resulted in him losing his balance and going to ground.

If Langfield has not played the ball and prevented Stewart getting to the ball then surely it's a foul?

We await the condemnation of the likes of Kris Boyd and Lee Miller then. And eyes being kept on them. :rolleyes:

Conning the officials is part of the game. It is up to the governing bodies to stamp it out either using TV replays or retrospective bans - the weapons exist but they choose not to use them at top level football because they cannot use them at lower level games. So far only Miko has been punished (anywhere) as far as I know and that is just more inconsistency...Boyd, Thomson, Miller and Maloney are just as bad as Nakamura, Kyrgiakos or any of our Lithuanians or Czechs.

Elvis was a total artist at "winning free kicks" and we used to enjoy his doing so, but very few fans of other clubs actually complained about Elvis as he went down softly but always with contact.

Does there need to be contact for it to be a penalty? Steven Gerrard was awarded one when trying to avoid contact with a player, resulted in him losing his balance and going to ground.

If Langfield has not played the ball and prevented Stewart getting to the ball then surely it's a foul?

Correct.

I sit in the gorgie and had a good view it loked like mickey just slipped trying to get round the keeper. What ****ed me off i can never remember a referee awarding a penalty then a linesman changing the decision. Can anyone else remember this ever hapening:mad:

MacDonald Jardine
Conning the officials is part of the game. It is up to the governing bodies to stamp it out either using TV replays or retrospective bans - the weapons exist but they choose not to use them at top level football because they cannot use them at lower level games. So far only Miko has been punished (anywhere) as far as I know and that is just more inconsistency...Boyd, Thomson, Miller and Maloney are just as bad as Nakamura, Kyrgiakos or any of our Lithuanians or Czechs.

Elvis was a total artist at "winning free kicks" and we used to enjoy his doing so, but very few fans of other clubs actually complained about Elvis as he went down softly but always with contact.

Yes they did and rightly so.

It always amazed me he didn't have a reputation.

Another honest Scottish laddie I suppose.

I actually thought that Stewart had jumped over Langfield and then actually landed on the ball which made him tumble, probably wrong though.

Are we not missing the point here. Goalkick was given, no booking so was the ball already out of play before Langfield made contact or not with Stewart. To me the only way that the linesman could have become involved. no way could he have seen if there was contact or not.

I sit in Gorgie Stand Section Z and the incident was right in front. Was happy with getting penalty but had doubts at time about legitamacy. But I was at Tynecastle for the Andy Davis incident and also Maloney getting Fyssas sent off so any decision we get rightly or wrongly is good enough for me. Let's see what happens next Sunday

loveofthegame

My instant reaction was dive. Don't think Langfield touched him.

Still never in my life of watching football have i seen a penalty decision reversed, and thats whats still getting me. Referee had what should have been a perfect view. Then to not even book Stewart afterwards?! Surely if its not a pen its a booking?! Summed up referees up here- dont have a scooby doo.

is stewart 'an honest scottish lad'?

is any scottish player?

is any player?

nationality shouldn't be the criteria to determine the honesty of any given player.

the fact is that scottish football as a whole, media included, is completely up it's own bum regarding the issue of honesty. 'scottish football' is the biggest snob possible. if scottish players were known to be totally honest to a man then there would be grounds for taking the attitude, but they're not.

look at the cheating antics of the half-wits diamond and langfield when hearts played at pittodrie last season. they surrounded miko in faux-outrage after he was clearly fouled in the penalty area, miko got booked natch.

conning the referee into issuing bookings for cheating constitutes some of the worst cheating of all.

the half-wits diamond and langfield are CHEATS.

FACT.

that's one view, the other is of course that Stewart is "an honest Jock" who wouldnae lower himself to such sculduggery....however that dirty fouling Miko clearly deserved a booking (unlike Diamond etc) for fouling all over the park...he's not only a dirty cheating ******, but fouls honest Jocks at the earliest opportunity ....GTF Miko :sarcasm:

Archived