Why does Frail think that Velicka can play in the hole?

Coco

In his short and not particularly distinguished managerial time at Hearts one thing above anything else has irked me about Frail.

What does he see in Velicka to regularly play him in the hole?

I know that opinions differ on Velicka. But everyone agrees that his best attribute is his shooting (though 3 sitters missed in the last 3 games). He is clearly at his best when the furthest forward player in the team.

He can't hold the ball, pass the ball, no vision, can't beat anybody, too slow to dribble the ball. And the referees have generally got the measure of his diving (as McCurry rightfully did last night). He is never ever going to be effective in the hole - so why does Frail play him there?

Guest JamboRobbo

Because he is not a football manager. He's tried both Stewart and Velicka there more than once. It's clear neither of them can play there.

With Kinston away I honestly dont think we have a natural player who can sit in that position and hurt teams. Audrey could possible do it but he has went of the boil a little bit of late.

Old Ves THRIVES on the ball being in the box - that is where he is at his sharpest and most dangerous.

I know it

You know it

Collins knew it last night on the box

Nevin knew it

Not sure what Dougie (ever the professional) thinks about. Not sure I want to know.

Smith knew it.

Frail does not.

I think its because he really didn't want to go with two up front and so Velicka would help out the midfield more.

Probably didn't want to change the team since we won on Saturday.

Both turned out to be wrong decisions but I think the players let us down more than Frail last night.

He wants a 'Hartley' but neither of his choices are suitable for that role.

You need a Totti or Baggio or someone like that who can play in the hole.

Someone who can see and make passes, beat a player or keep the ball. Velicka can't do that and Frail keeps playing him (or Stewart) there.

Archived