Beckham to AC Milan on loan(merged threads)

Gavsy Van Gaverson

No really. Passing is a pretty useless skill for a goalie if his agility and reflexes are poor. Then you have a defender that would be useless if his tackling and positional skills were poor and a striker?

My point was, he was made out to be the complete footballer when that's obviously not the case thus he was overrated to an extent.

ZZ for example could pass, create, dribble, and head a ball. See the diffrence?

Well said. England have produced players who are more deserving of acclaim (Hoddle, Keegan, Waddle, Platt & Gascoigne) yet Beckham unbelievably recieves all this "best ever player" nonsense.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Good player, but I do feel he is overrated by the English media.

I'd seriously doubt that, at his peak, any team in the world would turn him down.

Brian Glanville and James Lawton are honourable exceptions (and refreshingly so thank God).

I always felt the English press were overly critical of Beckham, due to the sending off against Argentina, and his celebrity status.

They have been championing numerous players as the new solution on the right wing since about 2000, when those players could never cut it. He also got largely blamed for their "failure yet again" (albeit slightly less than Sven!) whereas he contributed far more than Gerrard and Lampard, who the press and others are only just cottoning on to the fact they can't play together!

Gavsy Van Gaverson
And you could argue putting Cruyff, Zidane and Ronaldo in the same bracket as Maradona is over the top too.

Maradona was, well, Maradona ffs.

The guy single handedly ripped Italian football a new ersehole

My point was that they are all the time greats list - Beckham is not. Not really that hard to understand.

Oh - I didn't say that Mardona wasn't better than them all. I just took a random sample of some of the greats.

Brian Glanville and James Lawton are honourable exceptions (and refreshingly so thank God).

Add Patrick Barclay to that list although he is Scottish.

Beckham is under-rated, if anything, because of the celebrity aspect.

Agreed.

The worst mistake he made was to marry that vile burd.

Was a very good footballer but never one of the elite. Was always short when it came to the World Cup.

Although he did score in 3 consecutive tournaments.

Now thats a midfield!!

Beckham, Gattuso, Pirlo, Ronaldinho, Kaka to name a few!!

as for the beckham's a good/bad player thing...He's very good, too many people think he is over-rated. Although nowadays he is not the player he once was but he was still a really good player!

Good move for beckham, he's still got some thing left in him.. Cant see him starting all the time tho, especiallt ahead of pirlo, guttuso and ronaldinho.. Good luck to him!

Now thats a midfield!!

Beckham, Gattuso, Pirlo, Ronaldinho, Kaka to name a few!!

as for the beckham's a good/bad player thing...He's very good, too many people think he is over-rated. Although nowadays he is not the player he once was but he was still a really good player!

I think Beckham will be used purely as back up for Pirlo. Similar positions, with Pirlo being the better player.

Don't understand what Milan are doing. I agree with those who think that Beckham's been a very good player, and he's managed it through sheer hard work and dedication. But he's way past it now. Are they ever going to stop signing pensioners? Where's the strategy here?

Scoring the odd goals in tournaments doesn't make you a great player. Having the ability to change the tight games does. At that level he lacked that.

Don't understand what Milan are doing. I agree with those who think that Beckham's been a very good player, and he's managed it through sheer hard work and dedication. But he's way past it now. Are they ever going to stop signing pensioners? Where's the strategy here?

they're not signing him, they're getting him on loan for 3months from January.

As the best youngsters won't be available till the summer, it makes sense to get an experienced player to cover Pirlo. Plus they'll be able to register him for Europe (not sure if they're in Europe this season though). They also make a packet from having brand Beckham too.

they're not signing him, they're getting him on loan for 3months from January.

As the best youngsters won't be available till the summer, it makes sense to get an experienced player to cover Pirlo. Plus they'll be able to register him for Europe (not sure if they're in Europe this season though)

Well - they're in the Euro Vase, at least. And sure, it's only short term - but they never seem to sign any youngsters, and their team is so old! It peaked around four seasons ago, maybe even longer than that - but instead of rebuilding, they've just let it get older and older. Bizarre state of affairs for one of Europe's biggest and most successful clubs.

Well - they're in the Euro Vase, at least. And sure, it's only short term - but they never seem to sign any youngsters, and their team is so old! It peaked around four seasons ago, maybe even longer than that - but instead of rebuilding, they've just let it get older and older. Bizarre state of affairs for one of Europe's biggest and most successful clubs.

I think the problem with Milan is they're fiercely loyal to their players and always seem to go through stages where most of the players play on till they drop. Take the 90's for example, their defence and midfield weren't the youngest either.

Nice to see a massive club like Milan putting players that have served them well for years before the club itself. I can't remember many players wanting to leave Milan for other clubs. it took years of being nagged by his wife for Sheva to even consider leaving Milan. They even took Ba back when he got badly injured just so he had a wage.

What a fecking CV that man has. 100 england caps, Man U, Real Madrid and now AC Milian. Champions league, Seria A, Premier league and countless FA cup wins. He wasn't even that good!

What a contradictory post.

Scoring the odd goals in tournaments doesn't make you a great player. Having the ability to change the tight games does. At that level he lacked that.

Did I imagine his free kick against Greece?

For the majority of his career he was one of the most effective players in the world. At Germany 06 he was England's best player and played a part in the majority of their goals IIRC.

Still a strange move though.

Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC

Think it might be due to the Italian style of play.

Seria A is a lot slower than other major leagues so older players can still compete well. They are also very loyal to their players.

To be honest I would take Maldini when he is 80!

Think it might be due to the Italian style of play.

Seria A is a lot slower than other major leagues so older players can still compete well. They are also very loyal to their players.

To be honest I would take Maldini when he is 80!

That's a very good point. It's a cliche I know, but the best Italian players have a nous and savvy which enables them to stay at the top even if they slow down a bit. Of course, Maldini's problem now is he's going to end up looking like his Dad - the only way is down, Paolo...

CESA4.jpg

:hae36:

Technically he is top drawer, that along with his fantastic attitude and fitness makes him one of the best players of his generation IMO.

Hell do well at AC Milan.

His wife is an erse tho and its brought him down in some peoples eyes.

this_is_my_story
I think Beckham will be used purely as back up for Pirlo. Similar positions, with Pirlo being the better player.

You honestly think so? I'm not trying to be argumentative, I can see from your posts on this thread that you know your football!:)

I don't think Beckham could play that role anywhere near as well as Pirlo, the Italian is the best in the world at what he does in that position in my opinion, although purely based on Beckham's range of passing, I can almost see where you're coming from.

Geoff Kilpatrick

Beckham is still a good player, WAS a very good player but was NEVER a "world-class" player, despite the media adulation.

The only "world-class" player United produced from the class of 1992 was Paul Scholes.

England 2 - 2 Greece;)

England 2 - 2 Greece;)

But did he bring his country to trophy success or even on the brink of it? No. These boys fit that criteria: Pele, Maradona, Platini, Cruyff & Baggio. All top drawer players unlike the over-hyped but solid right-sided midefielder that is David Beckham.

As did Joe Jordan (who also played for Milan and Man Utd)

The guy had no pace, no skill and no natural talent what so ever. He became a huge footballer due to his marketing brain and a pretty good right foot. Thats about it.

He raked in tones of money for the clubs he played for therefor they played him.

Used to think he was a bit of a party boy...........much like the Villa kids in the early 80s when they won the title.

Then I saw him play a couple of games at Old Trafford.

He covered more ground than Keane, and had more natural ability than anyone else on show, which was something else considering the quality he was playing alongside.

I'd love to join in this "overated" posse that has stared here, but I've got to admit, my first impressions of him were way of the mark based on his onfield performances when I saw him play live.

If, for just a moment, you can disregard the trivia surrounding his private life, and the fact that he was born on the wrong side of Hadrian's Wall, you may just manage to acknowledge that the guy is a genuine athlete with a wonderful natural talent.

However, that Rebecca Loos,..................well she's something else !!

Seymour M Hersh

I'm hearing Portsmouth might try to step in and get him. Somehow I doubt pish would want to go there though instead of Milan!! C'mon beckham grow a pair!!:)

You honestly think so? I'm not trying to be argumentative, I can see from your posts on this thread that you know your football!:)

I don't think Beckham could play that role anywhere near as well as Pirlo, the Italian is the best in the world at what he does in that position in my opinion, although purely based on Beckham's range of passing, I can almost see where you're coming from.

Milan have now come out and said he will be used when Pirlo is injured or is being rested. Whilst they're not like for like, it was the most obvious player out of Gattuso, Pirlo, Ronaldinho and Kaka.

Gattuso, Goofy and Kaka play completley different roles to which Beckham can play. The only other one he'd replace at a push would be Gattuso, but that's unlikey due to Gattuso being used as a more defensive player. However, he does get played on the right from time to time.

Beckhams one of the best footballers thats ever played in Europe, well IMO he is.

What he has done for United and for England is fantastic.

If it wasnt for him England wouldnt have played in the world cup when he scored that free kick.

And I think people forget he was a major part of the reason why Real Madrid won La Liga and took it from Barcelona, he was immense that season for them and Capello made a **** up dropping him.

If the guy wasnt English alot of people here would rate him.

With United he won everything with them (im sure he won the CL with United when they beat Bayern)

Hes won La Liga with Real Madrid

In America hes not done great but did well enough.

And now hes joined AC Milan.

Think people are jelous of how great Beckham has done so fair play to him.

Oh and hes only 1 of 3 people to ever complete the full beep test.

Fantastic player.

Beckhams one of the best footballers thats ever played in Europe, well IMO he is.

What he has done for United and for England is fantastic.

If it wasnt for him England wouldnt have played in the world cup when he scored that free kick.

And I think people forget he was a major part of the reason why Real Madrid won La Liga and took it from Barcelona, he was immense that season for them and Capello made a **** up dropping him.

If the guy wasnt English alot of people here would rate him.

With United he won everything with them (im sure he won the CL with United when they beat Bayern)

Hes won La Liga with Real Madrid

In America hes not done great but did well enough.

And now hes joined AC Milan.

Think people are jelous of how great Beckham has done so fair play to him.

Oh and hes only 1 of 3 people to ever complete the full beep test.

Fantastic player.

No he isn't, Kearney. The best footballers to ever play in Europe are Maradona, Cruyff, Best, Beckenbauer, Puskas, di Stefano, Matthews and a few others. The best over the last ten or fifteen years have been Zidane and Baggio. While he was a very good player at his best, you're out of your mind if you think he's anywhere near that class.

His performance against Greece was immense. But if he hadn't scored that free kick, England would have entered a play-off against Ukraine which would almost certainly have been won, and qualified anyway. Moreover, in the years that followed (and especially following his metatarsal injury in April 2002), England became ever more predictable, knocking constant long balls in from the wing, and getting nowhere against opponents of genuine class. Quite often, this was because of him. He was never good enough to play the Gascoigne/Scholes role in the centre - and genuine wingers run at defenders, zip past them and produce telling crosses from the byline. This he has never been able to do.

The man is impressive, resilient and works tremendously hard. You're right: he proved Capello wrong, though it was only after being dropped that he returned with such vigour and consistency. He's made the absolute most of his talent - but the celebrity culture surrounding him and his wife has seriously damaged the national team at times, and a bit like Tim Henman, he was simply never as good as the hype invariably claimed.

No he isn't, Kearney. The best footballers to ever play in Europe are Maradona, Cruyff, Best, Beckenbauer, Puskas, di Stefano, Matthews and a few others. The best over the last ten or fifteen years have been Zidane and Baggio. While he was a very good player at his best, you're out of your mind if you think he's anywhere near that class.

His performance against Greece was immense. But if he hadn't scored that free kick, England would have entered a play-off against Ukraine which would almost certainly have been won, and qualified anyway. Moreover, in the years that followed (and especially following his metatarsal injury in April 2002), England became ever more predictable, knocking constant long balls in from the wing, and getting nowhere against opponents of genuine class. Quite often, this was because of him. He was never good enough to play the Gascoigne/Scholes role in the centre - and genuine wingers run at defenders, zip past them and produce telling crosses from the byline. This he has never been able to do.

The man is impressive, resilient and works tremendously hard. You're right: he proved Capello wrong, though it was only after being dropped that he returned with such vigour and consistency. He's made the absolute most of his talent - but the celebrity culture surrounding him and his wife has seriously damaged the national team at times, and a bit like Tim Henman, he was simply never as good as the hype invariably claimed.

Ok... in the EPL he has been.

In his younger days he was cruising past players and pinging in a cross which 98% of the time was a goal.

Hes one of the best crossers Ive seen and a fantastic player.

Why do you think Milan have signed him? Cause hes still a great player and will do a job for them.

In his younger days he was cruising past players and pinging in a cross which 98% of the time was a goal.

Why do you think Milan have signed him? Cause hes still a great player and will do a job for them.

Because they're not in the CL and have got to try and generate extra revenue.

He's one of the best crossers I've ever seen too: I'll certainly give you that! But he's not a great player either. If he was, no way on earth would he have gone to the US in the first place: that was effectively his own verdict on his longevity, or lack thereof.

Milan have signed him as cover for Pirlo, and for his brand: that's all there is to it I'm afraid. By the way, I forgot to mention someone in my list above of 'best players over the last ten or fifteen years': there's also Ronaldo. The Brazilian one, I mean - before he turned into a waddling advertisement for KFC.

rudi must stay

that's just not the type of player he is. He can do that, but his crossing is better when he's at the edge of the box with a couple of player to aim at. He will be a great signing for them imo, they have world class strikers who will make the most of his crosses

That's why I don't get why they've not broken up their team in recent years: can they really afford to fall further and further off the pace? They've turned into an Italian version of Liverpool in my eyes: not really that bothered about winning the league, as long as they finish 4th and get the CL riches that come with it. But it's a very dicey game to play: it failed last season, and from next year onwards, sides finishing 4th in England, Italy and Spain will find it much harder to reach the group stages at all.

That's why I don't get why they've not broken up their team in recent years: can they really afford to fall further and further off the pace? They've turned into an Italian version of Liverpool in my eyes: not really that bothered about winning the league, as long as they finish 4th and get the CL riches that come with it. But it's a very dicey game to play: it failed last season, and from next year onwards, sides finishing 4th in England, Italy and Spain will find it much harder to reach the group stages at all.

Who knows how they make their decisions? Obviously this season, they'll be doing their utmost to win the league by hook or by crook.

Gavsy Van Gaverson

Milan are probably second favourites to win Serie A this season (after Inter) and have picked up considerably since the start of the season. They are defintely aiming to win the league this year, and with both Roma and Juve stuttering big time they have a great chance to do so.

Milan are probably second favourites to win Serie A this season (after Inter) and have picked up considerably since the start of the season. They are defintely aiming to win the league this year, and with both Roma and Juve stuttering big time they have a great chance to do so.

They've certainly picked up - but I think Inter will end up champions by at least eight points and probably more.

And you would say that as an Inter fan...

And you would say that as an Inter fan...

But I say it too - and I'm not an Inter fan! :)

But I say it too - and I'm not an Inter fan! :)

And how is that?

Milan hardly need the Beckham brand to generate money, thats a load of tosh.

And how is that?

Really?

If Real needed brand Beckham then Milan do.

And 98% of his crosses lead to goals??? Got any stats to back that up?

Dont need to back **** all up to someone like you.

Milan have got Beckham on loan for footballing terms not Brand Beckham.

rudi must stay
And how is that?

every club in the world needs the Beckham brand to make money. Man Utd where the richest club in the world when they had Beckham, then Real signed him and all of a sudden they were the richest, that's no coincidence.

Dont need to back **** all up to someone like you.

Milan have got Beckham on loan for footballing terms not Brand Beckham.

Whats with the aggression?! Calm down Sweetheart.

You put stats up and I asked you to prove it!

You obviously can't because you are slavering out your erse.

Archived