The sectarian divide in Edinburgh - Ian Rankin

billco98

I'd be surprised if either Hearts or Hibs have many religious fans at all, to be honest.

As would I. I think the majority of religious and 'bigotted' fans in any support never step foot in a church, they are merely religious through allegiance than anything else.

Only religious when Hearts/Hibs/Rangers/Sellick are playing..

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply
As would I. I think the majority of religious and 'bigotted' fans in any support never step foot in a church, they are merely religious through allegiance than anything else.

Only religious when Hearts/Hibs/Rangers/Sellick are playing..

In other words, not really religious at all then....

alwaysthereinspirit
I despise all religion, I just can't stand the sanctimonious bull**** that comes out of this forum

At the end of the day tho Hibs are a catholic Irish club - that there is no denying. That does not mean that they have mass at half time but they do sway to that particular persuasion.

You Sir are one of the scariest posters on here.:eek:

Preston Jambo
Actually there were several sectarian clubs in Edinburgh: The likes of St Bernards, Thistle and Leith Athletic complied with the sectarian boycott enforced by the Edinburgh FA.

QUOTE]

The Ban or boycott by the Edinburgh FA and the SFA was in 1875/76.

St Bernards were formed in 1878 and Leith Athletic in 1887. Thistle were the second team to play Hibs (after Hearts) in early 1876.

The leading team in Edinburgh at the time was the 3rd Edinburgh Rifle Volunteers and their founder John Hope was a promoter of Protestant causes and involved in the anti popery movement so they may well have had sectarian tendencies.

3rd ERV only ever played Hibs once, in 1878 shortly before they gave up football so this may support that theory.

That said, the public perception of Hearts is often 'Rangers lite' thanks to our small but dedicated band of 'traditionalists'.

Spot on.

I am a atheist - what Edinburgh team should i support????

It is off course, the team that my friends went to see when i was younger.

Supporting Hearts for me had nothing to do with Irish politics, religious beliefs or British nationalism, but love for the match atmosphere and football itself.

I wish that was the same for all the people in this forum, but sadly some people use football to push their political and religious beliefs.

I'd say a Protestant would sway towards Hearts and a Catholic Hibs.

This does not mean each set of fans are stricly divided by religion though, as this is nonsense.

I'd bet you anything that Hearts have more Protestant fans than any other religion though.[/QUOTE]

I'd take your bet but you'd have to define Protestant first. If defined as an active, church-going, Christian believer of certain denominations (most of them except RC and Orthodox), then my guess is that more of Hearts support comes from other groups, with agnostics and atheists predominating.

That's just my guess, by the way, it might be wrong.

If you don't pray and go to church you're not a Protestant.

I'm not, by the way.

The Ban or boycott by the Edinburgh FA and the SFA was in 1875/76.

St Bernards were formed in 1878 and Leith Athletic in 1887. Thistle were the second team to play Hibs (after Hearts) in early 1876.

The leading team in Edinburgh at the time was the 3rd Edinburgh Rifle Volunteers and their founder John Hope was a promoter of Protestant causes and involved in the anti popery movement so they may well have had sectarian tendencies.

3rd ERV only ever played Hibs once, in 1878 shortly before they gave up football so this may support that theory.

I've just learnt something

Thanks

Archived