100% Control......

Drylaw Hearts

Drylaw Hearts
Hearts legend Gary Mackay has called on Vladimir Romanov to give Csaba Laszlo full control of team affairs.

The Hearts owner has been heavily criticised for trying to get involved in topics, such as player selection, and Mackay says Laszlo needs the powers to be a success.

?I want the manager to have full autonomy as far as picking his players is concerned,? he said.

"Not just picking the players he wants on the pitch but picking the players that are recruited into the football club.

"Giving him full autonomy is the only way he can be judged 100 percent."

He continued: ?I think Csaba Laszlo is someone we should be putting our faith in, giving full backing to on the playing side.

"My belief, having been in Lithuania, is that ultimately Mr Romanov wants to take the club forward.

"If we can work hand in hand then great, if that doesn't happen, nobody knows what's around the corner."

Why would GM say such things ?

Because he knows the score. What many on here have suspected, Gary Mackay knows.

Not ot sound to scepitical

Has he recently realesed a book ahem

I dont really think Gary Mackay will have much trouble selling his book.

In its own merit, what Gary Mackay has said is spot on.

I've often wondered why Gary says some of the things he does. Like when he returned from Vilnius, emerged from the plane wiping beetroot soup from his lips, waved a piece of paper in the air and pronounced: "Vladimir Romanov is a man we can do business with."

Drylaw Hearts
I've often wondered why Gary says some of the things he does. Like when he returned from Vilnius, emerged from the plane wiping beetroot soup from his lips, waved a piece of paper in the air and pronounced: "Vladimir Romanov is a man we can do business with."

VR, as we all know, is a very persuasive man.

:)

Dr Ian Malcolm

He wants Csaba to be able to pick any player or he wants to Csaba to pick Gary Glen, his client, the same Gary Glen that McKay recently had a meeting about 'cause he wasn't playing?

As much as I like Gary McKay, an agent wants their players playing, so he's hardly going to remain objective on team selection when his boy isn't getting a game.

Thats not to say Csaba definately has 100% control mind.

Its nothing we do not already know.

Vlad deals with the transfers.

Why sensationalise unsensational news?

How many times has Romanov told us one thing and done the opposite.

I have no doubt he could do the same to Gary. I don't think Gary is saying anything that we don't already know is happening. Romanov needs to allow the manager to control the footballing side of the club.

VR, as we all know, is a very persuasive man.

Well lets hope that as part of their remit (if it is true) E&Y realise that they will get more money in if we start playing better football (more fans / additional TV maybe), and order that those employed by the company are allowed to do their work without interference.

Any corporate recovery squad will not just look at what financial cuts can be made, but they will also look at anything which may hinder the proper working of the company.

I wonder

Might we see a couple of strikers in a 4-4-2 this weekend and some changes?

Damn this "wishful thinking" moment I am having...

Drylaw Hearts
Its nothing we do not already know.

Vlad deals with the transfers.

Why sensationalise unsensational news?

But Csaba says he picks the team and he picked the players brought in during the summer.

So what is GM talking about ?

"I want the manager to have full autonomy," he said. "I think at the moment Csaba Laszlo has that on the football side, and he is somebody we should be putting our faith in."

from http://sport.scotsman.com/heartofmidlothianfc/Mackay-finds-his-derby-enthusiasm.4596528.jp

No manager will have fully autonomy on signings and sales while VR is in charge.

Drylaw Hearts
Is that rhetorical question?

Actually, I think Gary McKays problem may be that he is such a fan and wants to 'believe', and was willing to give Vlad the benifit of the doubt. Ultimately, we all have different tolerances and I wonder if he's perhaps coming to the end of his?

Hopefully.

Then those who still 'believe' will maybe listen to GM.

boabyarsebiscuit

The great Real Madrid team of the late 50s and 60s was picked by Real Madrid's owner who would broadcast his team selections on short wave radio from his house in the Patagonian mountains on the day of each match.

What Mr Romanov is doing is normal. All of the top teams in Europe have their owners picking the team. Everybody knows the Glazers tell Sir Alex Ferguson who to pick for example.

Nothing to see here. Move on! Move on!

Like this?

"I want the manager to have full autonomy," he said. "I think at the moment Csaba Laszlo has that on the football side, and he is somebody we should be putting our faith in."

Not being picky, just quoting a quote.

http://sport.scotsman.com/heartofmidlothianfc/Mackay-finds-his-derby-enthusiasm.4596528.jp

It is obviously at odds from your quotes so it is intriguing to know which is correct. I want this one to be right but, I suspect that yours are. :sad:

I think Mackay is talking about transfers, not team selection which he accepts Laszlo does have full control over.

I think we all knew the score with VR bringing in his players, but I think everyone would agree that hopefully, with time and trust, Laszlo is allowed to bring in his own men.

Indeed, however it may well be that VR, or at least AK, is influencing the picking of the side.

BAB recounted the Glen story to me on Saturday afternoon and I was very disappointed to hear this.

"Not just picking the players he wants on the pitch but picking the players that are recruited into the football club.''

if GM indeed does know the score this at least seems to confirm its csaba's team on the day...

that in its self is a massive improvement,,

Indeed, however it may well be that VR, or at least AK, is influencing the picking of the side.

BAB recounted the Glen story to me on Saturday afternoon and I was very disappointed to hear this.

To be honest I think the set up is probably that AK has replaced the fax machine.

I think this is for presentation purposes.

Csaba will likely have been told that sometimes he will be vetoed by the "Director of Football" and this is part of the deal

It all makes the "wisecrack" about a director of football working incognito all the more sickening. It has and always will be Vlad

"Not just picking the players he wants on the pitch but picking the players that are recruited into the football club.''

if GM indeed does know the score this at least seems to confirm its csaba's team on the day...

No I think that is out of context

A manager needs 100% autonomy full stop - not just with the team but also with who he signs.

I think what Gary is warning against is the middle ground most of us has accepted. Yeah ok Vlad can sign players he wants as long as Csaba picks the team

What Gary wants is for the manager to have both and that just one isnt enough. He isnt accepting that Csaba even has full control over the team, he is saying that it isnt enough to have that without control of signings also

Drylaw Hearts
He will be cast out as some guy who has a chip on his shoulder. It's what we've seen before. As I said on another thread people will believe what they want to believe.

In fairness if Gary McKay came and said Csaba has 100% control, I wouldn't believe him.

Also where did you get your quotes as they seem to be at odds from the Scotsman.

http://sport.setanta.com/en/Sport/News/Football/2008/10/16/SPL-Mackay-on-Hearts/

But Csaba says he picks the team and he picked the players brought in during the summer.

So what is GM talking about ?

Thats probably the dumbest thing you have said thus far.

Csaba clearly signed Obua and probably Tullberg.

while he labelled Kello and the Polish chap as someone he would like to see come to the club.

No manager in the SPL and I would imagine very few in the EPL have full selection on the players they would like brought in and released from the club.

Drylaw Hearts
Thats probably the dumbest thing you have said thus far.

Csaba clearly signed Obua and probably Tullberg.

while he labelled Kello and the Polish chap as someone he would like to see come to the club.

No manager in the SPL and I would imagine very few in the EPL have full selection on the players they would like brought in and released from the club.

Csaba clearly signed Obua and Balogh, as for Tullberg......I have my doubts.

Kello and The Sausage, well I think they were VR picks.

So....................

When Gary Mackay says he would like Csaba to have 100% control not only in team selection but picking those players that join the Club - I agree with him.

And so do many others.

If that makes me, Gary Mackay and the others 'dumb' then so be it.

Do we know when he said it?

Yes, yesterday at around 12:50 at Tynecastle.

I think Gary was trying to say that he believes Csaba has autonomy on the playing side but not on the recruitment side.

Charlie-Brown
Sausage Roll.

I can't be bothered looking up how to spell his name.

We could start a whole new thread on this DH - instead of having players names (Neilson, Kello) or their squad numbers (No2 No16 No29 etc) we could have objects or things as references to them.

If Mrowiec is 'the sausage roll' what shall the others be?

Ginger-snap is an obvious one for M.Stewart.....

scott herbertson

So....................

When Gary Mackay says he would like Csaba to have 100% control not only in team selection but picking those players that join the Club - I agree with him.

And so do many others.

I'd like some more money, but I'll have to make do with what I already have as the bank wont give me more

I'm sure Csaba has the level of autonomy which he agreed with VR when he signed a contract as an employee of the club.

I'd like Csaba to have more autonomy, and I guess Csaba would like some more too, but he won't get it. Unless VR suddenly changes his whole way of working, the way that has made him a self made multi milliionaire

Guest jambomickey
I'd like some more money, but I'll have to make do with what I already have as the bank wont give me more

I'm sure Csaba has the level of autonomy which he agreed with VR when he signed a contract as an employee of the club.

I'd like Csaba to have more autonomy, and I guess Csaba would like some more too, but he won't get it. Unless VR suddenly changes his whole way of working, the way that has made him a self made multi milliionaire

he's obviously a very good buisness man but he certainly is no football expert as the last 2 seasons have proved!

Frankenstein Jambo.
The great Real Madrid team of the late 50s and 60s was picked by Real Madrid's owner who would broadcast his team selections on short wave radio from his house in the Patagonian mountains on the day of each match.

What Mr Romanov is doing is normal. All of the top teams in Europe have their owners picking the team. Everybody knows the Glazers tell Sir Alex Ferguson who to pick for example.

Nothing to see here. Move on! Move on!

i really doubt sir alex ferguson would allow someone to pick the team on his behalf so behave yurself

scott herbertson
he's obviously a very good buisness man but he certainly is no football expert as the last 2 seasons have proved!

I agree, though I am sure he thinks he is taking the advice of football experts (his eastern European employees)

So....................

And so do many others.

I would also like to see Csaba given 100% control.

But it will not happen - with regards to transfers it happens at many clubs where by the owners have more say in the ins and outs than the manager.

Its just part of modern day football.

scott herbertson
Why do you say that?

Because I think Csaba would have done a bit of research in advance and that he and VR would have agreed the demarcation lines before he signed. He made some carefully worded responses early on to the autonomy questions which suggest he picks the team but other aspects are through the Director of Football set up ( which I dislike intensely by the way but I think we have to live with while VR is the boss)

Guest jambomickey
I agree, though I am sure he thinks he is taking the advice of football experts (his eastern European employees)

that's the problem mate! korabochup and malofeev are is advisors and they have failed so why are they still employed?

Drylaw Hearts
I would also like to see Csaba given 100% control.

But it will not happen - with regards to transfers it happens at many clubs where by the owners have more say in the ins and outs than the manager.

Its just part of modern day football.

Of course it happens.

But as I've said before when Mark Hughes had Robinio forced on him the last day of the TW it is completely different to having a certain Eduard Kurkis land on your door stop.

Any football fan with huge amounts of money could build a team that could make a challenge for any division.

But when you are scraping around the bottom of the bargin basment looking for players to fit into a small squad, imo, you are better leaving it the guy who you expect to deliver results - the Manager.

Csaba has to be allowed to do it his own way or we will never be able judge his ability as a manager.

How many players do you think Levien or Calderwood have had forced upon them ?

How about Tony Mowbray or Mark McGhee ?

VR picking players for us will never, ever work.

Infact it has cost Hearts millions.

Of course it happens.

But as I've said before when Mark Hughes had Robinio forced on him the last day of the TW it is completely different to having a certain Eduard Kurkis land on your door stop.

Any football fan with huge amounts of money could build a team that could make a challenge for any division.

But when you are scraping around the bottom of the bargin basment looking for players to fit into a small squad, imo, you are better leaving it the guy who you expect to deliver results - the Manager.

Csaba has to be allowed to do it his own way or we will never be able judge his ability as a manager.

How many players do you think Levien or Calderwood have had forced upon them ?

How about Tony Mowbray or Mark McGhee ?

VR picking players for us will never, ever work.

Infact it has cost Hearts millions.

Its cost him millions - however it does seem he has learned that this free spending aproach does not work and has decided to put in place cost cutting measures.

Something which seems more than sensible in the current climate.

Drylaw Hearts

Why would you like Csaba to have more automony ?

Drylaw Hearts
Its cost him millions - however it does seem he has learned that this free spending aproach does not work and has decided to put in place cost cutting measures.

Something which seems more than sensible in the current climate.

His hand has been forced to cut costs because his involvement in picking players has cost him/us millions.

So why does he continue to pick players for the club ?

It is as clear as day he isn't really that good at it.

If VR was indeed our Manager and had squandered that amount of money on crappy players we'd all be screaming for his head.

bilston angel

The manager/coach will never have 100% control of selection or signing players as long as Vladimir Romanov owns the Hearts.

This is not a new statement but it is defintely a true statement lets just face up to reality.

Therefore lets look to the future when he departs, hopefully in the not too distant future

His hand has been forced to cut costs because his involvement in picking players has cost him/us millions.

So why does he continue to pick players for the club ?

It is as clear as day he isn't really that good at it.

If VR was indeed our Manager and had squandered that amount of money on crappy players we'd all be screaming for his head.

Let us not forget that when Jefferies was given ?4million he went out and blew transfer fees on Petric, James, Simpson, Lequerq etc

He handed out massive contracts to Kirk, Wales, Adam, Petric etc

and put is in millions of ????'s of debts.

Proof that when left in the managers hands its not always the best way to go....

Romanov is looking after his money having been a bit too liberal with it in the past.

Drylaw Hearts
Let us not forget that when Jefferies was given ?4million he went out and blew transfer fees on Petric, James, Simpson, Lequerq etc

Proof that when left in the managers hands its not always the best way to go....

Romanov is looking after his money having been a bit too liberal with it in the past.

I haven't forgotten JJ's poor signings with the SMG money.

But a Manager spending poorly and buying crap players usually ends up with the sack.

Our Managers end up with the sack even though they very little say in what players are signed.

That - no matter how you try and dress it up - is wrong.

bilston angel

What does 'fit like' translate into Lithuanian

scott herbertson
Why would you like Csaba to have more automony ?

I've already answered that in my post - because I don't believe in the Head coach + Director of Football combination - it has been proved time and again to be unsuccesful in England and Scotland

scott herbertson
Fair enough. However, the clear demarcation lines can quickly evaporate.

I don't think any manager thought they would have to bow to Vlad selecting players for the starting 11, with the possible exception of Valdas who had got that t-shirt.

I suspect the reasons so many managers turned us down is basically that the proposal for others to be involved in team selection, was not for them. Csaba probably has agreed to it in the hope that he can manage the interfernce and the fact that he is guaranteed a huge pay out.

Its clear that Vlads ambitions now are not winning football games, but trying to flog players. (I disagree with that objective) Csaba seems to have bought into that for the moment, however, when results start going wrong........

Who knows, the fact that we are still discussing a manager having autonomy over team selection is a joke. However, I guess thats where we are.

The problem with the committe system is it will only work as long as everyone agrees, history has shown that agreement never lasts long.

I agree with all that. I'm bearing up under the strain of living with that.

I don't like it. I can't change it

Neither can Csaba, if he wants to

portobellojambo1

See, I read it slightly differently. I think GM may be uncertain if he has full control over picking the team, and knows he doesn't have control over who comes into the club.

So what he is saying is he should have full control, not only of picking the team but also who comes into the club, i.e. he wants whatever part he plays in picking the team and whatever part he plays in deciding who comes into the club just now extended to 100% in both cases.

As a fan/ex player of the club GM is perfectly entitled to express his opinion, and if my interpretation of what I think he is trying to say is correct I agree with him 100%.

Archived